F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW need to update their in-car AV/NAVI ASAP (Volvo just previewed theirs)
ARMA SPEED

01-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

BMW need to update their in-car AV/NAVI ASAP (Volvo just previewed theirs)

Damn, my BMW system feels OLD when you look at this from Volvo.
And Volvo is only one of all the brands that put out these systems...

And they are also releasing a retrofit kit for older cars (selected models)

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Um, BMW did update their Nav system. And as far as I can tell, the updated system does everything that the new Volvo system does in that video, save for Touch screen.

And coming from a car that used a touch-based Nav, I can honestly say it's a step in the wrong direction. You take you eyes off the road far too often trying to "aim" for a part of the screen. The iDrive controller is much more exact, and safer.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F30 310i > G20 310i

I'm not impressed. Touch screen is cool, but this Volvo, I can hardly see what I'm touching once the hands go into the console...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Um, BMW did update their Nav system. And as far as I can tell, the updated system does everything that the new Volvo system does in that video, save for Touch screen.

And coming from a car that used a touch-based Nav, I can honestly say it's a step in the wrong direction. You take you eyes off the road far too often trying to "aim" for a part of the screen. The iDrive controller is much more exact, and safer.
You don't need to use the touchscreen you can use regular buttons or steering wheel controls. And BMW's updated system is not as up to date as this in my opinion. Sure it does a lot of these things, but not as simple as this. I have apps and internet in my car. At there are like 2 apps that support it and it is slow, and as soon as I recieve a phone call all apps quit.

It is so bad that it is not even usable. And last time I checked the BMW system requires a phone to work. This uses a separate system so it is much easier to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon View Post
I'm not impressed. Touch screen is cool, but this Volvo, I can hardly see what I'm touching once the hands go into the console...
As I said above, you don't need to use the touch screen. And it will look different on different models too.

I have all the tech that BMW currently offers and I never use it because it doesn't work as it should.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
You don't need to use the touchscreen you can use regular buttons or steering wheel controls. And BMW's updated system is not as up to date as this in my opinion. Sure it does a lot of these things, but not as simple as this. I have apps and internet in my car. At there are like 2 apps that support it and it is slow, and as soon as I recieve a phone call all apps quit.

It is so bad that it is not even usable. And last time I checked the BMW system requires a phone to work. This uses a separate system so it is much easier to work with.
You're basing all this opinion on a 3 minute promo video? How do you know it's not worse "in person" than the new BMW system?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6spd

"when standing still"

Sorry, but I bought a car to move around and go places, not sit in a parking space googling shit.
      01-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
You're basing all this opinion on a 3 minute promo video? How do you know it's not worse "in person" than the new BMW system?
I live in Gothenburg, home of Volvo, so I have friends that work at Volvo with this.

If BMW just updated their system to get rid of all the bugs it would be quite similar but nothing has happened for a year. And developers need to update their apps to use the BMW SDK.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
I live in Gothenburg, home of Volvo, so I have friends that work at Volvo with this.

If BMW just updated their system to get rid of all the bugs it would be quite similar but nothing has happened for a year. And developers need to update their apps to use the BMW SDK.
Do you have the new Nav in your car?

Volvo has no bugs in theirs?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Do you have the new Nav in your car?

Volvo has no bugs in theirs?
I don't have it but I have friends with F31's.
And it still behaves like my "old" system does. And of course the Volvo system can have bugs I haven't noticed, but it still works WAY better than my own BMW system does at the moment.

All apps only work when the phone is docked, they quit as soon as I get a call. Internet only works when using a cable, email and messages works from time to time, covers in media works sporadic too etc.

Maybe you are satisfied with your system, good for you.
I think my system and how it works is a joke for what I paid for it and compared to what some of the competition is presenting.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Here's my take. Its a promo video and Volvo's marketing department is trying to wow, win over customers. Reality will set in once its in real world use. Same can be said for the GM CUE system and Microsoft powered Ford systems.

The true reality is that NONE of these systems is as powerful as a $500 iPad/Android. Give users a dash Lightning dock and let them use their own iPad (iPad Mini). That's my vote!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
wayman519
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 N52 6MT A51

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2009 128i  [0.00]
meh, i like the bmw idrive for music, radio. nav is a little annoying. I hate touch in a car but if the buttons work well then i will applaud volvo. the other shit is overkill in both cars most cells will get google etc faster . hope no one is googling while on the road.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
anelson524
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 AY F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
The software and interface look like they work great but I don't think the Touch system will really be all it is cracked up to be. I recall reading an article talking about the new ATS and the touch system how it was copying Ford's Sync system instead of replicating the already dominant scroll wheel system that Audi, BMW, and MB use.

I dont ever wish I had a touch screen in my BMW. My dad has the touch screen in his F250 and I never have been a fan of it after using iDrive.

If it was going to be a touch system I'd rather see my iPhone screen in the display and control it with my iPhone in hand.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #13
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:

+1 iDrive is better. Even then you have to be careful. The preset buttons are awesome in that regard, as well as the voice commands. Almost bought a Volvo once but my wife steered me to look at BMW. After that I never looked back.
      01-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsedlak View Post
"when standing still"

Sorry, but I bought a car to move around and go places, not sit in a parking space googling shit.

Yes!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #15
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
The true reality is that NONE of these systems is as powerful as a $500 iPad/Android. Give users a dash Lightning dock and let them use their own iPad (iPad Mini). That's my vote!
This is Android.
I know what you mean though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
+1 iDrive is better. Even then you have to be careful. The preset buttons are awesome in that regard, as well as the voice commands. Almost bought a Volvo once but my wife steered me to look at BMW. After that I never looked back.
I don't know if iDrive is better than steering wheel controls when it comes to safety, the touch controls is just an added bonus. It is WAY easier to type on a touch screen than with the iDrive. And this also has voice commands.

And I know that BMW offers basically the same functionality as this. But it doesn't work at the moment and most of it is not very user friendly.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 12:41 AM   #16
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsedlak View Post
"when standing still"

Well, you can't watch movies on the go in BMW either so there are some safety features on all these systems I guess. But I agree that the manufacturers are aiming a bit too high if they think people rather google stuff in their car than using their phone.

But integration in the navigation and Spotify etc. is what makes it more usable (at least to me). Getting the latest updates and location based info is quite useful sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Dunno why everyone is so concerned over BMW Apps. When I'm in my car, I'm driving. And when I'm driving, all I'm gonna be using is music, nav, and phone. All three of these work amazingly on the F30, especially with the Heads up Display. The only reason I pair my phone with my car is to dial and receive calls. Everything else, like email, texts, the Facebook, the Twitter, etc can all be dealt with after I've gotten out of my car.

When actually driving, the only thing I'd actually do with the iDrive controls is change map scale, or use voice commands to reroute.

Dunno if that Volvo also has Heads Up Display, but if not, I'd take the BMW tech system any day.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #18
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
When I'm in my car, I'm driving.
Got a BMW because of the way it drives and style. Never really brought into having internet, facebook etc etc. Not a lot of good when I'm driving, plus a whole lot faster to input via the iPhone when parked.

Last edited by kitster; 01-16-2013 at 03:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #19
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Got a BMW because of the way it drives and style. Never really brought into having internet, facebook etc etc. Not a lot of good when I'm driving, plus a whole faster to input via the iPhone when parked.
+1. Seriously! Car infotainment systems will stay one or more steps behind tablets/phones as long as car OEM's keep thinking they can do better than Apple, Google, Microsoft, QNX. Yeah, right! I say stick to your strengths and let others fill in the gaps. The big problem is in yesteryear it was about OEMs needing to maintain control to be 100% sure the car stayed secure and free from outside influences, but today they've learned how to 100% isolate these infotainment systems and its become more of a money grab.

For sure, this WILL change. Question is WHEN.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #20
jrortiz
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:

+1 A touch-based Nav system is a step back, to hit the correct place in the screen you have to remove your eyes from the road and that's no good.