F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 1500 miles in and ....
Studio RSR

07-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
335i nthehouse
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

1500 miles in and ....

My thoughts so far.

Last couple of weeks put a fair bit of mileage on and now over 1500. Thought I would post some of my feelings to date:

First off- wow. Hands down best car I have ever had the fortune of owning. I love it and am very happy,

The goods: engine engine engine. It is a corker. I just love revving the absolute shit out of it on a daily basis. I know economy is not amazing but I am currently sat at 30.4 mpg and if it stays at this level, I'll take this all day long. Zero lag too - nice.

M Performance upgrades - I deliberated long and hard about what to do here. In the end I went all show as I felt the 'go' was going to be adequate. I added full aero kit with 20" 405Ms and it was the best decision I made - I constantly get comments about the look of my car and while I am only semi in love with the side skirt decals, I feel they are part of the pack which I wanted the whole install of. After only a few weeks running my car I get enough comments from random people stopping me as I am about to get in it to reassure me it looks cool, and being a bit vain that is important to me! Everyone who sees my car positively comments about the wheels, although I appreciate they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Exhaust - m performance exhaust has made me happy also. Initially met with thoughts of 'was it worth the money' - as it has loosened I am sure it is. Perfect balance of a bit more 'growl' but everyday niceness and zero drone on long journeys. Give it some welly and wow- up changes are met with a little 'boom' from the rear. Coasting around 2-2.5k revs just provides constant over run in sport gear box mode, this is addictive. The sounds are subtle as I say, but there enough to fulfil the boy in me. Some of this was prevalent with standard back box, but it's enhanced let's say.

How cool does the car look when opening at night with the white LEDs on door handles etc, that is neat. Non led rears don't bother me, I still think light clusters at rear look ok.

M sport wheel- ace. (Shite bottom spoke aside).

Gearbox - cannot believe it isn't dct. I find it much better than the golf r I drove which is dct, but I didn't get as long with that to familiarise. It is very good and rarely puts a foot wrong, with responsive gear changes in manual to boot.

The ride- I love the ms sdrive standard set up- I do like a firm ride though. I would not change this, even on the 20's it feels fine to me

Coral red - forget the debates about leather quality, this colour interior I love and I currently have no issues with the Dakota. I really like my seats

HK- cool stereo indeed.

The bads -
idrive is unnecessarily complicated IMO. I am very good at picking up new UIs and this one I am still getting used to. My quasqai's system was a lot more user friendly than this.

Some of the plastics as others have said, cents console doesn't bother me too much but the bottom spoke of wheel ruins perfection

Stereo staying on when you turn off ignition - just wtf is that about?

Can't link dual zone climate control - poor

Paint - say no more. I love the colour, but the orange peel effect is terrible.

Sat nav - relatively hard to use and no speed cameras. Ok to pop in directions but complicated to then mess around en route.

I may have more thoughts to share in later updates but these are the things that jump out at me thus far.

Any questions fire away,
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Great review, agree with pretty much all of it.

Elements of the Idrive are good, however yes it is a bit of a learning curve for some bits.

Pro media sat nav is great but as you mention mid journey is fiddly to update.

Not tried the stereo bit, I have always killed radio as I turn in to lane / drive etc, so will check it out.

Not really played with my toys yet, just driving it
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

You turn the stereo off by press the start/stop button twice. Its a habit I've now got into when stopping the car. (like disabling the ASS when I start the car)

Good review, cheers.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
335i nthehouse
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99
You turn the stereo off by press the start/stop button twice. Its a habit I've now got into when stopping the car. (like disabling the ASS when I start the car)

Good review, cheers.
Thanks for that. I'll be learning that habit!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I like that the stereo stays on! Usually when I pull up somewhere I want to kill then engine, but spend a moment checking my messages and emails and finishing my drink, finding my keys etc etc. No need for the music to stop till I lock the car!

Good write up though!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
General
No_Country
Rep

Yes with engine going off, radio on, however I thought all cars where like that.

You turn one click to turn off engine and radio is still on.

So expected this one to stay on until killed power.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
335i nthehouse
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand
Yes with engine going off, radio on, however I thought all cars where like that.

You turn one click to turn off engine and radio is still on.

So expected this one to stay on until killed power.
The double click makes sense if that was the case about two click ignition, but wasn't aware that you could do that

Every day a school day as they say
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Nice write up.

Re the auto box... as good as the ZF8 is if you get a chance to try the M3 or M4 you will immediately realise the DCT is in totally another league. Now mine just feels snatchy and rough in sport mode sadly.

...and also how bloody obnoxiously intrusive and quickly annoying the Active Sound in the M3 is when giving it beans compared to the subtly pleasing noises of the 35i.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
Billy Cheeseman
Fender bender
Rep
Drives: Sky Grey 330e tour msport pro

good write up - I am 2,000 miles in and agree with a lot of what you have said

most of my niggles are minor and mine is hands down the best car I have had in my lifetime

my e90 was a bloody good car but the f30 probably just tops it as it just feels that bit more up to date - the poor old e90 platform was showing its age especially in the dash area

even taking niggles into account there is no other car out there presently that floats my boat at this sort of price range and offers such a blistering mix of performance and economy and still allows me to transport me and my family around in relative luxury and safety
      07-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #10
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettChinery View Post
good write up - I am 2,000 miles in and agree with a lot of what you have said

most of my niggles are minor and mine is hands down the best car I have had in my lifetime

my e90 was a bloody good car but the f30 probably just tops it as it just feels that bit more up to date - the poor old e90 platform was showing its age especially in the dash area

even taking niggles into account there is no other car out there presently that floats my boat at this sort of price range and offers such a blistering mix of performance and economy and still allows me to transport me and my family around in relative luxury and safety

I am happily addicted to the power available with the 330, yes I could have went with 335d, however 330 is great, engine is relatively quiet.

Holds hands up, I have locked car and started walking away, looked back and realised left lights on, however actually left the bloody engine on!

I need to start behaving though, I can easily get a 29mpg average over last 300 miles.

As my first 6 cylinder BMW I am well chuffed.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
335i nthehouse
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68
Nice write up.

Re the auto box... as good as the ZF8 is if you get a chance to try the M3 or M4 you will immediately realise the DCT is in totally another league. Now mine just feels snatchy and rough in sport mode sadly.

...and also how bloody obnoxiously intrusive and quickly annoying the Active Sound in the M3 is when giving it beans compared to the subtly pleasing noises of the 35i.
To be fair only have two differing golfs to compare to and the ZF box seems to me in par with Volkswagen dct -which I thought was good btw

I'm itching to try an M3 but fear the consequences. Ignorance is bliss as they say.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i nthehouse View Post
To be fair only have two differing golfs to compare to and the ZF box seems to me in par with Volkswagen dct -which I thought was good btw

I'm itching to try an M3 but fear the consequences. Ignorance is bliss as they say.
Read my follow up post in my Day with an M3 thread...the reality is the 335i/435i (and probably all the F30's - even diesels shock horror!!! ) are just so good in everything except balls out on the limit driving you would be more than happy to climb back into your car after the M3 I suspect.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #13
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Great review, If i didn't have the 335d it would be the 335i and I am sure I will be back in one in 3 years given my 7k miles, fabulous engine.

Also the rears lights are LED and look great, just not the break lights or indicators - that will be LCI, typical BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #14
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
I am happily addicted to the power available with the 330, yes I could have went with 335d, however 330 is great, engine is relatively quiet.

Holds hands up, I have locked car and started walking away, looked back and realised left lights on, however actually left the bloody engine on!

I need to start behaving though, I can easily get a 29mpg average over last 300 miles.

As my first 6 cylinder BMW I am well chuffed.
29mpg!! Running in out the window?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
29mpg!! Running in out the window?
Just lots of fun roads,heading to welsh border, n some 'brisk' M6 toll road runs.

Saves using damn A5 - eastwards lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:21 AM   #16
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

I've kept out of sport as it too easily goes over 3500rpm, even in comfort I've hit 4k a couple of times in addition to a couple of visits north of the recommended speed

Trying really hard to be good till 1200 miles, killer though as just want to see what she can do!!
Appreciate 0