F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Help with troubleshooting 513m wheel setup
ARMA SPEED

09-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #23
Hair Führer
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntledcow View Post
Yeah I'm a dealership A tech and don't know what I'm talking about, the overall tire diameter is .7" taller than stock. He's robbing his car of power and acceleration by effectively up gearing his car for the sake of aesthetics. (Although making your car look like you have chunky 4x4 tires isn't something I would call aesthetically pleasing...)

And seeing OP is using his car for towing rather than tearing up racetracks, a more sluggish car than can now hydroplane more easily in the wet is a downgrade. But that's just my "uneducated" opinion.
You Sir.. in my "educated" opinion are the worst tech ever.
Please do the community a favor and let us know where you work so none of us bring the car there.

0.7" difference doers not turn it in to a 4x4 look(Hope, Your powers of exaggeration hopefully work on your tiny reproductive anatomy.). You are so misguided I dont even know where to start.

The OP drives a 328d. And that too a wagon. People who buy diesels (and wagons) don't buy it for "tearing up racetracks" . At least in Europe we buy diesels for fuel efficiency and practicality(like towing). And I am sure its the same for people world over. So the OP is fine.

Another uneducated comment by you....Tire profile does not cause hydroplaning.
Incorrect tire pressure or Bad tread or worn tires cause hydroplaning.

Goodness Cow... Go back to the crack ass dealership you crawled out from. And please stay there. He is what gives BMW technicians a bad name.
Appreciate 1
Gabreigns493.50
      09-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #24
disgruntledcow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Msport Xdrive 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair Führer View Post
You Sir.. in my "educated" opinion are the worst tech ever.
Please do the community a favor and let us know where you work so none of us bring the car there.

0.7" difference doers not turn it in to a 4x4 look(Hope, Your powers of exaggeration hopefully work on your tiny reproductive anatomy.). You are so misguided I dont even know where to start.

The OP drives a 328d. And that too a wagon. People who buy diesels (and wagons) don't buy it for "tearing up racetracks" . At least in Europe we buy diesels for fuel efficiency and practicality(like towing). And I am sure its the same for people world over. So the OP is fine.

Another uneducated comment by you....Tire profile does not cause hydroplaning.
Incorrect tire pressure or Bad tread or worn tires cause hydroplaning.

Goodness Cow... Go back to the crack ass dealership you crawled out from. And please stay there. He is what gives BMW technicians a bad name.
Tire profile does not cause increased hydroplane, but tire width does. There is absolutely zero reason for him to run 255 / 275mm wide tires. He's running a wider, taller and heavier tire, but clearly you're too thick to see the negatives in doing so.

Not going to argue with an idiot.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #25
Hair Führer
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntledcow View Post
Tire profile does not cause increased hydroplane, but tire width does. There is absolutely zero reason for him to run 255 / 275mm wide tires. He's running a wider, taller and heavier tire, but clearly you're too thick to see the negatives in doing so.

Not going to argue with an idiot.
Okay Mr Cow. You need to learn to read better before you impart your ridiculous advice. Even better ...do not give your incorrect/wrong advice. If it is an opinion... then i cant do anything about that except point you to the attached picture. OP can do whatever the **** he wants with his car.

Here are some points since you obviously don't read much and just troll here.
1: The OP is using 245/275 tires not 255/275.
2: He is using the slightly heavier tire on the lighter 18 inch 513M wheels offered by BMW than his original 400M.
3. If the width is that much of a problem causing hydroplaning we should be seeing crashed M3s, Mercedes AMGs, Audis and other sports cars everywhere due to hydroplaning in the wet rain as they all use wide high performance summer tires. This has never been an issue on our autobahns here at high speeds and i am sure its not much of an issue in the US interstate systems either.
The OE tire size on an 18 inch wheels F80 right now is 255/275.

OP, as long as you have new Michelin PSS which are the best tires as per your tire
rack please pay no heed to this disgruntledcow moron tech.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Gabreigns493.50
      09-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #26
Gabreigns
Major
Rep
Drives: F3x

Quote:

The OP drives a 328d. And that too a wagon. People who buy diesels (and wagons) don't buy it for "tearing up racetracks"
Man! FLAME ON! It's hot in here.
Thanks for insinuating that I am very slow!
You are probably right.

Hair fuhrer - you are evil.

And hair fuhrer please easy on our fellow BMW owners... man you probably get carried away a lot. Lol

disgruntledcow your opinions are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:17 PM   #27
mdai245
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i XDrive

Agreed on op can do whatever he wants with his car, and not to have such a negative attitude about it.

Regarding tire width vs water resistance, it boils down to common sense and basic physics:

Increasing tire width changes the shape of the contact patch but not the area of the contact patch therefore the pressure being put down by any given wheel remains the same regardless of tire width. That pressure and tread pattern is what primarily influences the rate at which water is forced out from under the tire, giving the car resistance to hydroplaning, and not necessarily the shape of the contant patch / tire width. If water is still able to freely evacuate the tread with the wider tire, then hydroplaning resistance is not effected by having a wider tire.

Last edited by mdai245; 09-12-2017 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
Gabreigns493.50
      08-05-2021, 01:14 PM   #28
cardih
Rep
Drives: 440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
I am not sure why he mentions it is the wrong profile. Perhaps because he has not seen anyone do it or he just doesn't know what he is talking about.

245 45 18 in Front and 275 40 18 Rear work just fine on my f30 with xdrive.
This is a good setup on standard suspension height because there is no rubbing. Based on tiresize.com
The diameter sidewall and circumference is the same between both the tires.
As for Revs/Mile 245 are at 779 and 275 are at 780. So a difference of 1.
I even tow with it without any rubbing.
Will it work on F36 440i xDrive?
Appreciate 0