F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Method Man, 2 Pac, Ice Cube, Easy E
GetBMWParts

02-25-2018, 05:37 PM   #23
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I dont understand the last point... everything does evolve... but for the better? Absolutely not... garbage will always be garbage. There will have to be a style shift coming up or its over. Remember, Gucci Gang was one of the top songs on spotify last year...
No but your perspective of what is good is warped by your age. I'm older. You probably also think older athletes were more badass like jim brown and other things in general.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 06:04 PM   #24
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I like Gods Plan. The way he puts haters on blast for wishin' and wishin bad things but still keeping it positive with the mppsk sic video and giving God the credit.
Yeah I think it's a great song. Most of his music has a similar sound so I suppose if you like it then you'll like all his work, if not then you'll hate it.

I also appreciate that he doesn't dress or act like a thug like most rappers from the '00s. He's pretty well spoken and has a good sense of style. His work with Canada Goose and the Toronto Raptors is pretty impressive.

Plus the "Drake the type of *****" jokes are killer.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 06:15 PM   #25
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Yeah I think it's a great song. Most of his music has a similar sound so I suppose if you like it then you'll like all his work, if not then you'll hate it.

I also appreciate that he doesn't dress or act like a thug like most rappers from the '00s. He's pretty well spoken and has a good sense of style. His work with Canada Goose and the Toronto Raptors is pretty impressive.

Plus the "Drake the type of *****" jokes are killer.
lol not sure why my post says mppsk in it, must be some wierd spell correct error that cropped up, not sure exactly what I was trying to say there but it wasn't that. It's true Drake has that sound that makes alot of his songs sound similar but I like it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 04:25 AM   #26
last1left
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post

Shout out to the OGs
These guy's were the best RIP BIG and PAC
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 06:27 AM   #27
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Quote:
I dont understand the last point... everything does evolve... but for the better? Absolutely not... garbage will always be garbage. There will have to be a style shift coming up or its over. Remember, Gucci Gang was one of the top songs on spotify last year...
Not sure, I have Spotify Premium, but I never use their charts as a reference to figure out what's good. Perhaps this is the reason why you feel a certain way about the genre if you find yourself limited to Spotify's database.

Here are two covers of Gucci Gang that may make you think twice about Hip-Hop being dead:

Lucas Joyner

TheRealAK

Furthermore on Drake, he basically paved the way for new school artists like Khalid, Swae Lee, French, and etc on how it's cool to sing and rap at the same time. But if you want to take it back further, no one thought of Bone Thugs as being soft back when they were singing and rapping in the 90s. Everyone was digging their style despite the fact that no one understood what they were saying in real time.

Here's an interesting question: If you were stranded on an island and you could pick just 1 Hip-Hop artist to listen to forever, who would you pick?

With all due respect to the late Tupac (hometown legend) and BIG, I would pick Drake over them easily. Heck, I might even go with 90s NAS (iLLMatic, Nastradamus, Stillmatic) over Tupac, but that's just me.
Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of drakes songs and his style... but at the same time, his style makes it difficult to compare him to any of the serious lyricists of the past... he really is more like a pop rapper to me.

I think if I had to choose one rapper to listen to... it would probably be early 2000s Nas... not illmatic Nas but Stillmatic / Gods son Nas. He had a perfect mix of credibility and mass appeal there.
      02-26-2018, 06:29 AM   #28
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Quote:
No but your perspective of what is good is warped by your age. I'm older. You probably also think older athletes were more badass like jim brown and other things in general.
Well, here is an interesting perspective... I am 30 but I think the music of yesterday was better however modern cars are much more interesting to me. When people argue cars no longer have feelin... i find that to be a total misnomer.

I mean do you think Bron is better than MJ?
      02-26-2018, 06:32 AM   #29
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Just different. It's much harder to be as dominant as it was in yesteryear because there is so much specialization and competition. Now tons of people working towards that pinnacle. My feeling is in the past you basically had to show up and wanna do it and could be a pro athlete.

Bron probably is better but the level of play around him makes it look less possibly.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #30
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

I wanna know how the hell this guy (Post Malone) became "famous "

Appreciate 1
Germanauto9701.00
      02-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #31
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post

he has a following. Like I said if you can create a following on social media you can break through.
      02-26-2018, 11:30 AM   #32
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
This crap today is not rap.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #33
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Because, sadly, most of society is dumber than he is. I need to put on some Beastie Boys now to cleanse myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 12:19 PM   #34
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:

If serious, record label and catchy verses. Post Malone broke ground with White Iverson, where he strategically curated the lyrics based on NBA culture without having any knowledge of current players just a few months prior to writing the song. He said himself that he doesn't even play basketball, but yet he somehow knew that Hip-Hop and basketball go together like peanut butter and jelly. So it was a matter of dropping a few household names like Iverson, Jordan, KD, Harden, and AD to get music listeners hooked to the song. The rest was history after that...

I recall being in LA at the time the song first got air play on Power 106, and it was pretty much an instant hit with people playing the song non-stop. No one even knew how he looked back then, but I guess that's the power of music. It lets you dress/look however way you want, and people seem to be willing to accept your image as long as you make good/decent music.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #35
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If serious, record label and catchy verses. Post Malone broke ground with White Iverson, where he strategically curated the lyrics based on NBA culture without having any knowledge of current players just a few months prior to writing the song. He said himself that he doesn't even play basketball, but yet he somehow knew that Hip-Hop and basketball go together like peanut butter and jelly. So it was a matter of dropping a few household names like Iverson, Jordan, KD, Harden, and AD to get music listeners hooked to the song. The rest was history after that...

I recall being in LA at the time the song first got air play on Power 106, and it was pretty much an instant hit with people playing the song non-stop. No one even knew how he looked back then, but I guess that's the power of music. It lets you dress/look however way you want, and people seem to be willing to accept your image as long as you make good/decent music.
That's called marketing & then see my post above. People are mindless lemmings.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10159.00
      02-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #36
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
It lets you dress/look however way you want, and people seem to be willing to accept your image as long as you make good/decent music.
That's for damn sure. Wonder if any relation to The Fat Jewish lol
They need to collab

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #37
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
That's for damn sure. Wonder if any relation to The Fat Jewish lol
They need to collab

LOL

Word on the street is he swings the other way.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #38
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
NAS said Hip-Hop is dead, but that was back in 2006. I don't think Chance, Kung-fu Kenny, Drake, and many up-and-coming artists like Joyner Lucas and 16-year old TheRealAK would agree, though.

Rap/Hip-Hop will be around for a while, some people just have to learn how to adapt to new styles.
I like Chance, don't know Kung-fu Kenny, but Drake is straight garbage.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 02:53 PM   #39
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Not sure, I have Spotify Premium, but I never use their charts as a reference to figure out what's good. Perhaps this is the reason why you feel a certain way about the genre if you find yourself limited to Spotify's database.

Here are two covers of Gucci Gang that may make you think twice about Hip-Hop being dead:

Lucas Joyner

TheRealAK

Furthermore on Drake, he basically paved the way for new school artists like Khalid, Swae Lee, French, and etc on how it's cool to sing and rap at the same time. But if you want to take it back further, no one thought of Bone Thugs as being soft back when they were singing and rapping in the 90s. Everyone was digging their style despite the fact that no one understood what they were saying in real time.

Here's an interesting question: If you were stranded on an island and you could pick just 1 Hip-Hop artist to listen to forever, who would you pick?

With all due respect to the late Tupac (hometown legend) and BIG, I would pick Drake over them easily. Heck, I might even go with 90s NAS (iLLMatic, Nastradamus, Stillmatic) over Tupac, but that's just me.
Bone Thugs was a flash in the pan, though. No one talks about them when they're talking about superstars.

NAS would be a solid desert island pick. He put out a lot of clunkers to go along with his amazing stuff, though. Not sure who I'd pick, but it wouldn't be Tupac. If I pick Wu Tang, do I get all their solo and associated acts, too? If so, Wu Tang.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #40
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
...I mean do you think Bron is better than MJ?
Define "better", but in general? No way, and it's not even close.

Can LeBron do things that Jordan simply couldn't do? Yes - but that doesn't equate to "better" in my book.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 03:00 PM   #41
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
Quote:
NAS said Hip-Hop is dead, but that was back in 2006. I don't think Chance, Kung-fu Kenny, Drake, and many up-and-coming artists like Joyner Lucas and 16-year old TheRealAK would agree, though.

Rap/Hip-Hop will be around for a while, some people just have to learn how to adapt to new styles.
kung fu kenny is kendrick lamar
      02-26-2018, 03:02 PM   #42
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Quote:

That's called marketing & then see my post above. People are mindless lemmings.
thats what people dont catch onto... its called marketing, some people are masters in that craft... quality or talent does not equate to anything if u r the king of marketing... the broad from dr phil has 12 mil instagram followers and made a song lol
      02-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #43
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

"No promotion for foreign car" , then gets in Ferrari California. Ok!! So song lyrics are meaningless and has bad taste in cars!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #44
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
Quote:

kung fu kenny is kendrick lamar
He's one of the few bright spots when it comes to new rappers.
Appreciate 0