F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 335i marketed towards?
proTUNING Freaks

11-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #111
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport/EBII/ED 12/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post

I don't know any wealthy ppl who buy 3 series - maybe for their kid. LOL
You don't know any because wealthy people who own 3 Series BMW's because . . . they don't buy them. It's just that simple. Generally, people buy what they can afford.

If a wealthy person is going to make a statement and purposely avoid an expensive car for whatever reason, the last car they'd buy would be a BMW 3 Series. Whether they buy down market for utilitarian, social or political reasons, they are not going a car that is either known to be en emulator or enthusiast car.

It's common sense.

And, 4 Rolexes and a 3 Series don't reconcile. Anyone who truly can afford 4 watches totally well into the 5 figures is a status whore. That guy would never buy a 328i. It's sort of embarrassing. We know the 328 is real. Do the simple algebra.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #112
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson743 View Post
You don't know any because wealthy people who own 3 Series BMW's because . . . they don't buy them. It's just that simple. Generally, people buy what they can afford.

If a wealthy person is going to make a statement and purposely avoid an expensive car for whatever reason, the last car they'd buy would be a BMW 3 Series. Whether they buy down market for utilitarian, social or political reasons, they are not going a car that is either known to be en emulator or enthusiast car.

It's common sense.

And, 4 Rolexes and a 3 Series don't reconcile. Anyone who truly can afford 4 watches totally well into the 5 figures is a status whore. That guy would never buy a 328i. It's sort of embarrassing. We know the 328 is real. Do the simple algebra.
my parents are probably considered wealthy these days. i think boltjames would say they were wealthy at least net worth wise

they don't want anything bigger than a 5 at most... so they have a current gen X5 (and they even think its a bit too big) and just ordered a new X3. the X3 they ordered has 0 options (other than blue paint). some wealthy people just buy what they think they want... some people go up to exactly what they can afford i guess.

my mom drove an 07 e90 for 3 years and traded it for a 2010 x5... dad has a 2004 x3 which will be a 2013 x3 soon. they aren't econoboxes, but they aren't S classes or maserati's either (my dads business partner has a range rover, and a quattroporte, but my dad just says he doesnt want to stand out too much). a 3 series is a pretty nice car, its not a 7 , but its also not as hard to park as a 7
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #113
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
so i suppose my conclusion is the 335i is for people who want uh... a 328i that is faster that has a bigger engine that sounds different. or people who want to look down at fellow bmw owners since those are the only people who might even care.....
It's not about looking down on other BMW owners. It's about having something different than all other BMW owners.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #114
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:

I don't know any wealthy ppl who buy 3 series - maybe for their kid. LOL
Really?? What exactly do you know Mr. LA? I've seen wealthy people who's net worth in excess of $10,000,000 driving 1990's Cadillacs who don't give a crap.

You are LOST in your LA values. I can drive ANY car I want to drive. A car is NOT a status symbol for me. I drive it because I WANT to drive it and could give a rats ass what anybody thinks.

How many people in LA drive exotic cars who have ZERO net worth?? Lmao.
Status symbol...unreal.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #115
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson743 View Post

It's common sense.

You are COMPLETELY wrong about this...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #116
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbrann View Post
BJ, what are the cons of the 335i? It doesn't seem like handling is a priority to you, and that's the only argument I could personally make for getting a 328i instead. If you see the 3 series as a status symbol (which I, like several others who have posted, think is a little laughable), why not be a little more status-y and get the badge with a bigger number? The extra few grand it costs is just chump change, after all, right?
My thing was that I was perfectly fine with a 328i, but for only 3k more I could get 19" wheels with a bigger and better sounding engine. The handling was good in both cars in my opinion. The inline 6 is legendary, the turbocharged 4 still needs to prove itself.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #117
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro View Post
You know the funny thing is I just read an article regarding what Obama considers "wealthy" Households that make >$250k/yr. However, this is deceiving because if you're making 250k in the middle of the country it's totally different than if you're making 250k in Cali or New York. 250k in cali or New York is considered upper middle class while in the midwest (where the cost of living is nil) you'd be considered rich.

I must also say you don't have to be "wealthy" to drive a nice car. With leasing, any car is attainable. Actually, most people I see who have nice cars don't even own a home AND lease their car.

Do the math, a home is $1 million here, and a car is what, $30-$100k (financed). What do you think someone could afford more easily?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #118
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Really?? What exactly do you know Mr. LA? I've seen wealthy people who's net worth in excess of $10,000,000 driving 1990's Cadillacs who don't give a crap.

You are LOST in your LA values. I can drive ANY car I want to drive. A car is NOT a status symbol for me. I drive it because I WANT to drive it and could give a rats ass what anybody thinks.

How many people in LA drive exotic cars who have ZERO net worth?? Lmao.
Status symbol...unreal.
I know there are ppl like that - but if you follow the whole damn story before jumping out of your panties you would know that I was responding to a comment stating that a 3 series is a status symbol for someone who is rich. That is just laughable. Now, go put your man pants back on. BTW, $10m net worth ain't that much.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #119
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Apparently azzurro lives on the rich side of the block where they all drive beat up pintos.

But he's right about one thing - I only buy a damn car because I really want to drive it - not to be bling bling about it. Shit, I would get the new m3 and eat cup o' noodles for a year just so I can drive the shit out of it! lol

And if you read my comments a page ago you would know that I am deliberately trolling this thread because thats how ridiculous its gotten. Lol. Do you go to track days? Youre not too far away Mr Del Mar.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #120
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
You know the funny thing is I just read an article regarding what Obama considers "wealthy" Households that make >$250k/yr. However, this is deceiving because if you're making 250k in the middle of the country it's totally different than if you're making 250k in Cali or New York. 250k in cali or New York is considered upper middle class while in the midwest (where the cost of living is nil) you'd be considered rich.

I must also say you don't have to be "wealthy" to drive a nice car. With leasing, any car is attainable. Actually, most people I see who have nice cars don't even own a home AND lease their car.

Do the math, a home is $1 million here, and a car is what, $30-$100k (financed). What do you think someone could afford more easily?
$250k a year in CT...is barely middle class.

We're getting bent over up in the NorthEast...milk is $5/gallon, gas is $5/gallon, and hurricanes keep hitting us...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #121
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
$250k a year in CT...is barely middle class.

We're getting bent over up in the NorthEast...milk is $5/gallon, gas is $5/gallon, and hurricanes keep hitting us...
Then come on over to SoCal, more jerks here, but the weather is beautiful year round. Prices are similar.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #122
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
Bolt,,this ( & other things) is where you lose me. You continue to talk about people buying 3 series as being "wealthy" and then you go on to list cars that"less wealthy people "drive all, of which easily can push 50K.
I absolutely love the 3's I own , but by no means are they symbol of "wealth" .There is a reason the 3 is BMW's best selling car around the world.Yes the status symbol has a lot to do with it , but so does the price.The entry price is pretty low. A 328 starts at 35K.(Caddy CTS 35K, Lexus IS350 35K,Audi A4 32k, all base price Drive through Miami, parts of California or NJ and they are as common as a Honda Accord. To anyone else reading this, please don't take it that I'm bashing the 328(I'm ready to plunk my $ down on a 4 series as soon as I can) I love the new 328 , but I owned a brand new 3 series when I was about 24 and I never thought it made me appear "wealthy" as BoltJames seems to insist and he's supposedly 50 and is worth 4 million
+1

And funny how he said his 328i was 50k, my 335i was 52k
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #123
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
Then come on over to SoCal, more jerks here, but the weather is beautiful year round. Prices are similar.
Desperately trying...only biotech down there, in Thousand Oaks, is Amgen, which is impossible to get a job at...but if I did, I would be there in a HOT SECOND.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #124
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

I have my first N55 F30 loaner today. It's a decked out Sport too.

Some thoughts...

This has to be leather right? It's got the HUD/Nav, all the toys...why does this feel barely a notch better than my leatherette

The Sport steering wheel...sorry to offend, but once use to the M-Sport wheel, this feels clunky and made of pleather.

The sound. Yes, it does sound much better than the N20. But my N20 with exhaust sounds surprisingly close as it replaces any engine sound with exhaust note and now the two exhaust notes are rather close.

HK sound system...def better, not sure if it's worth the money better, but still better.

Tires just don't cut it, not by the size and certainly not sticky enough compared to a staggered summer setup.

Looks...MG is a nice color. But the Sport body work in this color just does not have the presence of EB with the more aggressive bumpers. This car gets totally lost in the crowd which could be a good thing, makes for a bit of a sleeper.

This is an '12 with 3k miles more than my car. Feels a bit less well put together.

Speed. The Sport auto does a good job of making the engine feel even better than it is. Light throttle brings kick downs that make it feel very responsive. But go WOT when holding on to one gear as if a manual and it's got more nut than my N20, but not to the extent it emulates when doing a 2-3 gear kick down.

Handling, have not really put it through it's paces but it does not feel as eager and light on it's feet compared to the N20. It's not NIGHT and DAY, but it's there.

In the end. I can see people sweating this car over the 328. But it's also been a bit over hyped by some fanboi'ism out there. I could see this car with bolt ons and a tune being a bit more to my liking, more like the blown S52. If this car had 80hp more, than I could see it being heralded over the N20 the way it's been hyped.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #125
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
he said something along the lines of, i know an M3 is a great car, but a 911 also drives well and they cost close enough in price that if you get the 911 you get a great driving car AND a car that is obviously in another class, instead of a car which is really a hugely modified version of a car that every housewife in LA drives. (his other point was that he thought people who bought GT-Rs in LA that dont track the car are stupid since you'd also be better off with the 911 given the whole, well its still a nissan status issue)
your boss is totally spot on.

when i was waiting on the fence for the F30-M3, and saw the pricing, I thought to myself...$80-90k for a sporty 3-series?
the porsche dealer locally had a 2012 911 with PDK for $89k...

Then I woke up and realized the F30 offered the ability to tune up to the M3/911 levels...and I get to keep $40k in my savings account (even after minimal mods).
2012 911 w/pdk for $89k?! Thats pretty cheap. Although an S model will be north of $100k.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #126
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl
It's like golf though, talking to BJ. You know it's gonna be crap, you're gonna lose some balls and you're never going to get any better but ... it's a giggle and there's always a pint afterwards
You dont drink while you play? Even more fun! Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #127
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
I have my first N55 F30 loaner today. It's a decked out Sport too.

Some thoughts...

This has to be leather right? It's got the HUD/Nav, all the toys...why does this feel barely a notch better than my leatherette

The Sport steering wheel...sorry to offend, but once use to the M-Sport wheel, this feels clunky and made of pleather.

The sound. Yes, it does sound much better than the N20. But my N20 with exhaust sounds surprisingly close as it replaces any engine sound with exhaust note and now the two exhaust notes are rather close.

HK sound system...def better, not sure if it's worth the money better, but still better.

Tires just don't cut it, not by the size and certainly not sticky enough compared to a staggered summer setup.

Looks...MG is a nice color. But the Sport body work in this color just does not have the presence of EB with the more aggressive bumpers. This car gets totally lost in the crowd which could be a good thing, makes for a bit of a sleeper.

This is an '12 with 3k miles more than my car. Feels a bit less well put together.

Speed. The Sport auto does a good job of making the engine feel even better than it is. Light throttle brings kick downs that make it feel very responsive. But go WOT when holding on to one gear as if a manual and it's got more nut than my N20, but not to the extent it emulates when doing a 2-3 gear kick down.

Handling, have not really put it through it's paces but it does not feel as eager and light on it's feet compared to the N20. It's not NIGHT and DAY, but it's there.

In the end. I can see people sweating this car over the 328. But it's also been a bit over hyped by some fanboi'ism out there. I could see this car with bolt ons and a tune being a bit more to my liking, more like the blown S52. If this car had 80hp more, than I could see it being heralded over the N20 the way it's been hyped.
What type of exhaust do you have and is it a full bolt on or cutout?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #128
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
You dont drink while you play? Even more fun! Lol
We used to do much more than just drink as we played ... but that was some time ago
      11-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #129
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It WAS the development Rogue exhaust. It was taken off to go to production. The production unit will be on the car in January.

Check out the N20 section to see my dyno vids and more info.

You have to cut the old one in one place, but it slips on and allows for the stocker to easily be re-installed. I have my stocker back on the car no problem.

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #130
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
Quote:
It WAS the development Rogue exhaust. It was taken off to go to production. The production unit will be on the car in January.

Check out the N20 section to see my dyno vids and more info.

You have to cut the old one in one place, but it slips on and allows for the stocker to easily be re-installed. I have my stocker back on the car no problem.
I remeber that thread. Only thing is i dont want to return a lease with a cut pipe. Ive never seen cut slip ons before coming into bmw land. Technicially its just a muffler then right?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #131
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I remeber that thread. Only thing is i dont want to return a lease with a cut pipe. Ive never seen cut slip ons before coming into bmw land. Technicially its just a muffler then right?
It's a muffler with midpipe.

BMW actually offers an OEM clamp for when/if it's cut...it's pricey though.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #132
dmontic71
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE
Its a performance upgrade. No matter how fast the 328i is, some people are going to want more.
I think this sums it up...