F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Question for 8AT owners (sorry 6M)
Studio RSR

11-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Question for 8AT owners (sorry 6M)

Just out of curiosity, how do you put your car in P (Park) mode?

By pressing 'P' on the top of the gear lever or just switch off the engine using the Start/Stop push button on the dash?

The latter will place the 8AT into 'P' automatically.

No reason for the question. Just another topic to discuss, I suppose.
Nice day today. Ummmmm….

Hey, isn't it great when you have your car on with the gear lever pushed to the left and you park the car's tranny. The lever flips back to the default position automatically.

OK, bye.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
fd80
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you put your car in P (Park) mode?

By pressing 'P' on the top of the gear lever or just switch off the engine using the Start/Stop push button on the dash?

The latter will place the 8AT into 'P' automatically.
Was being pedantic and pressing the "P" automatically, but now more so just pressing the Start/Stop push button. It means I don't exit (normally when on handsfree phone call) and I've stopped where my car is meant to be parked - and the ASS is active (thus gone into Ready mode), and go to get out and the car starts rolling forward because I forgot to shut the engine off.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Hey, isn't it great when you have your car on with the gear lever pushed to the left and you park the car's tranny. The lever flips back to the default position automatically.
OK, bye.
Ok this I've never noticed and need to test...
I haven't worked out yet when I'm using the paddles to down gear, (say to overtake) how to put the car back into Auto mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:07 AM   #3
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

It's been embedded in me to press the P.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Quote:
Originally Posted by ij05 View Post
I haven't worked out yet when I'm using the paddles to down gear, (say to overtake) how to put the car back into Auto mode?
it should go back to auto mode after a little while or you can flick it into M/S mode and flick it back to the orignal position then it'll go back to auto
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #5
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
it should go back to auto mode after a little while or you can flick it into M/S mode and flick it back to the orignal position then it'll go back to auto
what i do is, for example i went to clicks down to overtake, i would go 3 clicks up once i finished overtaking (or hammer the upshift a couple times). That normally gives me enough cruising time for it to change to drive itself
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:33 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
+1 Nothing to do if you are in Drive mode.

I often use the paddles to accelerate from restricted zones and then let it revert back to auto, which it does within a few seconds.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0