F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Does 'Clunk'on driver's side of car = new steering rack.?
GetBMWParts

10-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #67
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

I returned to my dealer today.
I've had winter wheels/tyres fitted.
Whilst I was there I complained about the persistent clunk.
They have opened another PUMA and are awaiting a response from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #68
Observer1122
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr NSB View Post
My 16k miles F30 with non adaptive suspension and servotronic steering has been at the dealers since Friday for this (third visit). I rang them yesterday for an update and was informed they are waiting for lots of parts to arrive including apparently suspension struts and dampers.
suspension struts and dampers on a vehicle with only 16k, lets hope when repairs are finally done all issues are satisfactorily sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #69
BMdriver
Bus Media, Xenons, Spt Auto, Sun Pro Black Panel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420i M Sport Coupe (Pro pack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
I returned to my dealer today.
I've had winter wheels/tyres fitted.
Whilst I was there I complained about the persistent clunk.
They have opened another PUMA and are awaiting a response from BMW.
I am in a similar position, whereas I have had the top mounts changed but it has not cured the problem.
My dealer has now contacted BMW in Germany and I am waiting for their suggestions as to what to do next. i will update you once I hear something.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #70
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

After having a new steering rack fitted, the clunk returned.
My dealer has liaised with BMW technical after raising another PUMA.
My dealer can hear the clunk but can't diagnose the problem.
BMW have advised a new steering shaft (spindle).
This is on back order and is expected in 5 days or so.
I have to say that my dealer ( I didn't buy the car from them) has given excellent service.
From the very pleasant service receptionists, to the two technicians I've been on test drives with, they have all been good listeners, pleasant and have taken the clunk seriously.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #71
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Makes all the difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #72
BMdriver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
After having a new steering rack fitted, the clunk returned.
My dealer has liaised with BMW technical after raising another PUMA.
My dealer can hear the clunk but can't diagnose the problem.
BMW have advised a new steering shaft (spindle).
This is on back order and is expected in 5 days or so.
I have to say that my dealer ( I didn't buy the car from them) has given excellent service.
From the very pleasant service receptionists, to the two technicians I've been on test drives with, they have all been good listeners, pleasant and have taken the clunk seriously.
Hi Isow,

Thanks for the update. Could you please let me know the outcome of the new steering shaft?
I am still waiting for BMW to contact me with a solution (via my dealer I presume), however all has gone quiet for the past month.
Would you mind private messaging me please with your dealer and registration number so I can refer them to your case, as I think we are both using the same dealer group, but in different cities?
Your dealer does seem to be very proactive.
I am getting the impression that if I do not chase this myself, nothing will be done.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:57 AM   #73
Eccles Ken
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D Min Grey Beige Reg 3/2014

Lots of posts her but when you get down to it they seem to cover about 4 or 5 problems.

Cars are 328s and 320ds so does that tell us anything - different production line!

However were they all delivered to members about the same time so build was at the same time using faulty batch of components.

Also why no 330ds with problems of which there are many contributors on this forum?

Surely there must be something common in the type of car and build time.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #74
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdriver View Post
Hi Isow,

Thanks for the update. Could you please let me know the outcome of the new steering shaft?
I am still waiting for BMW to contact me with a solution (via my dealer I presume), however all has gone quiet for the past month.
Would you mind private messaging me please with your dealer and registration number so I can refer them to your case, as I think we are both using the same dealer group, but in different cities?
Your dealer does seem to be very proactive.
I am getting the impression that if I do not chase this myself, nothing will be done.

Many thanks.
PM sent.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 03:34 AM   #75
BMdriver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
PM sent.
Many thanks Isow, good luck with the steering shaft. I would be really interested to hear if this cures the problem.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #76
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdriver View Post
Many thanks Isow, good luck with the steering shaft. I would be really interested to hear if this cures the problem.

Cheers.
New steering shaft fitted today and the car still clunks on the offside !
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #77
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
The clunk that you hear on the drivers side may be caused by the objects stored in the cubby on the drivers lower dash. Empty it out and go hit a bump.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #78
scoobeesnac
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i MY2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
The clunk that you hear on the drivers side may be caused by the objects stored in the cubby on the drivers lower dash. Empty it out and go hit a bump.
my neighbour did that with his new Porsche 4s, service department called him in and said "here's your change sir"
ACS Springs & M Sport+ Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack : Black Dakota leather, Brushed aluminium/gloss black bar, Heated Seats, Sun Protection Glass, Sun band, Electric side mirrors, Adaptive Suspension, Variable Sports Steering, Black Panel display, Enhanced Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #79
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The clunk is a loud mechanical sound as though a ball joint is loose or something like that.
Nothing stored in the cubby hole !
You don't honestly think that BMW who are familiar with this complaint would raise 2 PUMA cases, instruct a BMW dealer to fit an expensive steering rack and then a steering shaft because I the customer and several experienced,highly trained engineers have mistaken something stored in a cubby for a loud mechanical/metallic clunk do you ?
Sorry to sound a bit aggressive but we're all not that thick.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #80
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow
Quote:
The clunk is a loud mechanical sound as though a ball joint is loose or something like that.
Nothing stored in the cubby hole !
You don't honestly think that BMW who are familiar with this complaint would raise 2 PUMA cases, instruct a BMW dealer to fit an expensive steering rack and then a steering shaft because I the customer and several experienced,highly trained engineers have mistaken something stored in a cubby for a loud mechanical/metallic clunk do you ?
Sorry to sound a bit aggressive but we're all not that thick.
To solve any issue you need to look at any and all possible causes. And yes I do think that technicians and engineers do not have all the answers. Familiarity and experience can trump a degree.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #81
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 420d M-Sport

Update on mine:

My car was at the dealers on Tuesday for it's first service and another look at the steering knock/clunk.

BMW UK have come back to the dealer and said it is a 'Design concept related tick tack noise from the steering box'. They showed me a screen shot of the BMW dealer intranet site with a picture of the steering rack and column and the explanation of the noise but no fix. They have also said BMW will not authorise any further investigation in to this noise now they have issued this bulletin. I am not a happy bunny and have aired my disapointment to the dealer who are going to have their tech guy get back on to BMW. I will wait to hear what the dealer says before I contact BMW direct.

Are they saying it is a design feature of the car I wonder or are they looking in to the issue and have yet to find a solution. The tech did say there is not a modified steering rack or column available but this doesn't mean there won't be in the future. I would hope BMW are looking in to this issue and will come up with modified parts to cure the problem.

I have nothing except praise for the dealer who have given me excellent service but I am very disapointed with BMW UK and I am quickly falling out of love with this car.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #82
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr NSB View Post
Update on mine:

My car was at the dealers on Tuesday for it's first service and another look at the steering knock/clunk.

BMW UK have come back to the dealer and said it is a 'Design concept related tick tack noise from the steering box'. They showed me a screen shot of the BMW dealer intranet site with a picture of the steering rack and column and the explanation of the noise but no fix. They have also said BMW will not authorise any further investigation in to this noise now they have issued this bulletin. I am not a happy bunny and have aired my disapointment to the dealer who are going to have their tech guy get back on to BMW. I will wait to hear what the dealer says before I contact BMW direct.

Are they saying it is a design feature of the car I wonder or are they looking in to the issue and have yet to find a solution. The tech did say there is not a modified steering rack or column available but this doesn't mean there won't be in the future. I would hope BMW are looking in to this issue and will come up with modified parts to cure the problem.

I have nothing except praise for the dealer who have given me excellent service but I am very disapointed with BMW UK and I am quickly falling out of love with this car.
That sounds very similar to the experience I've had today - my car was at the dealers to investigate (for the second time) a vibration/rattle at 20-50mph. They spoke to BMW who diagnosed it as coming from the gearbox, and they have basically said that although they've had a number of complaints from customers it's a "characteristic" of the gearbox, so my dealers (who are excellent) cannot do any more. I shall be writing to BMW UK to voice my disappointment with their attitude (this is my 7th BMW so I'd regard myself as a loyal customer).
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #83
jakeb1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post

Hate to say this BUT AUDI Paintwork is way better by far.
My last A4 had a rust on the boot lid within a year......

I get a clonk when turning the steering sometimes, usually at low speeds parking. It feels like the rack is skipping a cog tooth (probably not a technical description) and goes light when it does it. I initially put it down to going over a stone or similar but not sure now
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #84
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
That sounds very similar to the experience I've had today - my car was at the dealers to investigate (for the second time) a vibration/rattle at 20-50mph. They spoke to BMW who diagnosed it as coming from the gearbox, and they have basically said that although they've had a number of complaints from customers it's a "characteristic" of the gearbox, so my dealers (who are excellent) cannot do any more. I shall be writing to BMW UK to voice my disappointment with their attitude (this is my 7th BMW so I'd regard myself as a loyal customer).
Tony, I would NOT accept that BullS**t, it's not a problem I have encountered on the many I have driven, I would get onto BMW UK ASAP.
      11-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #85
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Tony, I would NOT accept that BullS**t, it's not a problem I have encountered on the many I have driven, I would get onto BMW UK ASAP.
Well, amazingly in the midst of writing to BMW UK I've had a call from my dealer saying that BMW have come back to them and agreed to replace the gearbox in my car! Maybe my dissatisfaction that I asked the dealer to relay to BMW had an effect? As the service rep just said to me on the phone, they must think there is a genuine problem as a new gearbox is around £5k and they don't change them lightly. Dealer will contact me with a date once they've got new gearbox in, and we shall see if it actually fixes the problem or whether I just get a new gearbox out of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #86
Eccles Ken
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D Min Grey Beige Reg 3/2014

As a prospective buyer could I ask if you ever got any common theme between your complaints.

Two questions I would ask are

is it specific to standard suspension? I.E. No M sports involved nor X drives?

Or, if gearbox related does it affect manual gearbox only?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #87
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
Well, amazingly in the midst of writing to BMW UK I've had a call from my dealer saying that BMW have come back to them and agreed to replace the gearbox in my car! Maybe my dissatisfaction that I asked the dealer to relay to BMW had an effect? As the service rep just said to me on the phone, they must think there is a genuine problem as a new gearbox is around £5k and they don't change them lightly. Dealer will contact me with a date once they've got new gearbox in, and we shall see if it actually fixes the problem or whether I just get a new gearbox out of it.
At least if you get a new gearbox, BMW have tried to fix the problem for you.
Much better than them not trying to fix it for you.
I have had a new steering rack & steering shaft fitted to my car and the clunk is still there !
I can't understand why it is so hard for BMW to prescribe a definitive cure for your rattle and my clunk.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #88
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles Ken View Post
As a prospective buyer could I ask if you ever got any common theme between your complaints.

Two questions I would ask are

is it specific to standard suspension? I.E. No M sports involved nor X drives?

Or, if gearbox related does it affect manual gearbox only?
My car has standard suspension.
I have been told that it's not a suspension problem.
Appreciate 0