F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Email Working Successfully - BMW iDrive, iPhone and IOS7
GetBMWParts

02-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #23
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 435dx Msport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms720 View Post
Has anyone used this setup with 2 phones? - so if I code EBT on my motor when it arrives is it possible to get both SMS and Emails from my 2 phones simultaneously (iPhone 5 and iPhone 5C)

Not asking much I know but would be interested if anyone has this working or at least tried?

I should add kudos to the OP for a lot if time spent on this subject.
Hi SMS720

I think you can code up to 4 phones with the EBT (6NS) switched on. I have set up mine and the wife's Iphone no problem.

It also lists in the Idrive settings what emails it is transferring. I have four email accounts on my Blackberry (Business and Pleasure) and brings them all through into the Idrive. It lists four accounts. Same applies for the Mrs Emails too. The only negative side of this is puts them all together unless you filter the emails.

Dickie
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #24
sms720
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickieGibbo View Post
Hi SMS720

I think you can code up to 4 phones with the EBT (6NS) switched on. I have set up mine and the wife's Iphone no problem.

It also lists in the Idrive settings what emails it is transferring. I have four email accounts on my Blackberry (Business and Pleasure) and brings them all through into the Idrive. It lists four accounts. Same applies for the Mrs Emails too. The only negative side of this is puts them all together unless you filter the emails.

Dickie
That is cool - thanks Dickie!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 05:38 AM   #25
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickieGibbo View Post
I coded mine too yesterday and works perfectly with Blackberry 9900. I also have a shortcut to my inbox for when I receive an email!

Music streams perfect via Bluetooth too, but no album art. I also have photos of people that are calling me appear when receiving a call. I programmed these sometime ago in the phone and show up now 6NS is switched on.

Dickie
Thanks Dickie. I assume contact images are only BB based? Bloody iPhones! The shortcut idea sounds like a good plan
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 05:45 AM   #26
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4springer View Post
Hi BMWSKI, basically no change, have got myself into a routine of changing the notification settings from 5 to 10 or vice versa, then locking the phone as I get in the car (although sometimes I have forgotten to do this, however email still seems to show up in Idrive anyway).

It's definitely very useful if I'm on the road for an hour or two, if something comes in and needs responding to I just phone the email sender back, seeing as most people put their phone details in their email signature Idrive picks that up and gives you an option to call them back rather than having to reply by email from the car.

One other thing you may find useful which I messed about with recently, Idrive uses the term Great Britain for our country address, but the iPhone stores contact details as UK, this basically prevents you from looking up your iPhone contacts to import the address in Navigation (it ends up sending you to the Netherlands). Anyway I stumbled across a "fix" whereby you can use the term Great Britain if you add the contacts into Outlook first and sync them across to the iPhone. Idrive can then read your iPhone contacts and give you the option to Navigate to their address. It's not a great fix but it kind of works, I posted the instructions for how I did it here if you want to have a look:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943440

Aren't computers great!
Oh OK. Must be an iPhone issue then. Thanks for replying. I did the GB workaround recently too. I'm on MAC Mail and iPhone 5 and it works a treat. Although I'm holding off changing all 625 (!) contacts until I get my Maps updated as I believe the Country issue is resolved from 2014 onwards...
I will have a play around with EBT this week and see how I get on.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #27
NordNico
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 3.0D Exclusive

Hi from a new member of the community from North of France... Yes I know, no bad jokes right :-). I got my X5 F15 a few weeks ago and I love the Connected Drive even though a few things were not as perfect as I thought they would be...

A big thanks to d4springer, I now have through Office my SMS and emails after one month of playing around and asking my dealer what to do to make this work.

Got the same answer as many of you here regarding compatibility etc... from the Connected Drive team in France.

Only funny point is that SMS and email arrive in the same "box", the SMS one, nothing shows in the second box with the @ in it...

Any idea ?

In any case great forum and great solution to start. Next topic will be Siri and dictate answers... That I am sure will be another story.

Enjoy the WE a few hours in advance !!!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 03:36 AM   #28
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4springer View Post
I have finally managed to get email to display in iDrive from an iPhone 5 with IOS7, took some messing about but eventually I have a procedure which is very simple and seems to work each time.

Most people have probably seen their SMS appear in iDrive, the concept is the same, when SMS shows up on the phone as a banner alert it is sent via Bluetooth to iDrive so you can see it there. However iPhones do not seem to send emails over.

Background
Basically I work in IT (my own business) and could really do with seeing a preview of any emails coming in whilst I'm on the road. I have no intention of reading through loads of messages whilst driving and would never bother replying or drafting emails from iDrive, just like to keep on top of things (especially alert messages or customers etc...), hate being on long journeys with my iPhone pinging away, keep getting tempted to read it!

My phone is synchronised with Microsoft Exchange, I can therefore see my Outlook Email, Contacts and Calendar. I have "Push" email (this is likely to be a key option).

Prepare iPhone
You have to configure the iPhone to display email as banner alerts. Go to Settings > Notification Centre and make sure Email is listed under the Include section.

Within the Include section go to Mail > (your mail account) and switch on Show in Notification Centre and Show in Lock Screen. You will also notice there was an option to display 1, 5 or 10 unread items. Leave it at default for now, but you may have to come back here later.

Now go to Settings > Bluetooth > (your BMW) and select the small blue "i" icon, make sure Show Notifications is turned on.

You will likely need Push email selected, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data > and switch on Push.

Essentially, once this is all done, new email will display in the iPhone Lock Screen as it arrives.

Prepare iDrive
Pair up your iPhone, then in iDrive go to Settings > Connections > Bluetooth > (highlight your phone) > Press the Option button (or scroll right) > Configure Bluetooth, make sure Office is ticked.

1st Method to view your Email in iDrive
Get in the car with your phone (this is very important!), before you turn on the car, unlock your phone and close down the Mail App (hold the iPhone home button for a couple of seconds to see all running apps) find the Mail App and swipe upwards to close. (Incidently this is why you need the Push email option selected so that email still comes into the phone without you having to fetch it manually).

Now manually lock your phone and switch on the car (if your testing you don't need to start the engine, just initiate the switch to start up iDrive) and that should work, new email will be displayed under Messages (which is available in iDrive from the Office or Telephone options). You can see a preview under the Messages option, if you select an Email you can read it or have iDrive read it to you. However, I could not reply, in that iDrive attempted to reply via Text Message, so this looks like a one way only workaround. Not a problem for me though as I pointed out earlier I just wanted to get a preview of what's going on whilst I'm on the road.

At this point, whilst testing, I then unlocked my phone and email still showed up in iDrive, I then connected up to the car using the Apple Cable and launched the Connected Drive App. Email still worked (even though the Connected Drive App states "do not lock phone"), this meant I could see my Email and Calendar just by going to the Office option in iDrive.

However, I had some issues getting it to work again after some use, maybe because I kept turning off the car, restarting over and over and repeating my tests, the 1st method may only work once between drives rather than constantly re-enabling etc... So I stumbled across the next method.

2nd Method to view your Email in iDrive
As before you need to close down the Mail App and manually lock the phone, however if it's not displaying the email in iDrive after doing this, I found that tweaking the notifications settings helped, in the iPhone, go to Settings > Notification Centre > Mail > Include and change to another settings (for example if you have it set to default 10 Unread Items, change it to 5).

Once you've finished, close everything again and lock the phone.

Summary
As you can see I was a bit bored on a Sunday (have already washed the car!), but I was determined to get this working somehow. It's obviously a workaround and not the official method, hopefully one day Apple will update their Bluetooth to allow this to just work, but until then at least I know it is achievable.

Basically it looks like a case of trying out quick methods, once the phone and iDrive are pre-prepared it doesn't take too long to close the mail app and lock the phone each time you get into the car, but if that doesn't work flawlessly then you need to alter the notification settings each time also.

Would be interesting to see if anyone else has success with this.
Hi d4springer,
Apologies in advance in adding to this thread but I could really do with your help!
Some history first!......back in 2011 I was subcontracted to BMW(UK) on a six days job and was using one of their 740iL's which had all the toys on it (obviously!) including full Pro Nav and all the rest of the media equipment. My old Sony Ericsson W595i mobile Bluetoothed fine, transferred all my phone contacts (including contact images where assigned) and displayed and read out my text messages so when I took delivery of my 435i last november with Pro Nav and full multi-media, enhanced Bluetooth, Internet in fact everything except TV function I was really excited at the prospect of the connectivity with my mobile and BMW's Connected Drive 'world'....however!!!...since I am now using an iPhone 4 (which is running ios 7 software thanks to a software upgrade from Apple they told me was to fix a security issue with the lockscreen which I thought was a good idea but got ios 7 as well which I neither wanted nor asked for), all I get now is basic telephony and my contacts list as for anything else....nothing/nada/nichts/nyet and as we say up here, bloody nowt else!
I've followed this and other threads on this subject closely and with great interest and I know there are 'issues' with BMW and Apple i-phones, my dealer being frustrated about this as much as I am...well actually I'm more at the stage of pretty p***ed off to be fair.
I've followed your extensive excellent instructions above to the letter but still get sod all other than telephony and contacts list....HELP!....am I doing something wrong or should I be doing something else or is it an i-phone 4 thing? I've tried, for comparison purposes, repeating your instructions whilst pairing my wife's i-phone 4S (also running ios 7 software ) and that doesn't bloody work either!
Whilst I'm not too fussy about having e-mails available through the i-drive, although it would be nice if it did, I really do miss being able to see my text messages....any advice/help you could offer?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #29
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordNico View Post
Hi from a new member of the community from North of France... Yes I know, no bad jokes right :-). I got my X5 F15 a few weeks ago and I love the Connected Drive even though a few things were not as perfect as I thought they would be...

A big thanks to d4springer, I now have through Office my SMS and emails after one month of playing around and asking my dealer what to do to make this work.

Got the same answer as many of you here regarding compatibility etc... from the Connected Drive team in France.

Only funny point is that SMS and email arrive in the same "box", the SMS one, nothing shows in the second box with the @ in it...

Any idea ?

In any case great forum and great solution to start. Next topic will be Siri and dictate answers... That I am sure will be another story.

Enjoy the WE a few hours in advance !!!
There might be a difference between the Idrive display on an X5 versus 3 Series, I have seen a screenshot which show three different message boxes and one of them has an @ symbol, I think if you have a Blackberry then email would go in there. However on mine if I go to Office > Office Today and check Unread Messages I only get two boxes, SMS and email appear in one and "My Info" messages (ie from the Connected Drive web portal or Google Maps) go in the other.
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #30
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Hi d4springer,
Apologies in advance in adding to this thread but I could really do with your help!
Some history first!......back in 2011 I was subcontracted to BMW(UK) on a six days job and was using one of their 740iL's which had all the toys on it (obviously!) including full Pro Nav and all the rest of the media equipment. My old Sony Ericsson W595i mobile Bluetoothed fine, transferred all my phone contacts (including contact images where assigned) and displayed and read out my text messages so when I took delivery of my 435i last november with Pro Nav and full multi-media, enhanced Bluetooth, Internet in fact everything except TV function I was really excited at the prospect of the connectivity with my mobile and BMW's Connected Drive 'world'....however!!!...since I am now using an iPhone 4 (which is running ios 7 software thanks to a software upgrade from Apple they told me was to fix a security issue with the lockscreen which I thought was a good idea but got ios 7 as well which I neither wanted nor asked for), all I get now is basic telephony and my contacts list as for anything else....nothing/nada/nichts/nyet and as we say up here, bloody nowt else!
I've followed this and other threads on this subject closely and with great interest and I know there are 'issues' with BMW and Apple i-phones, my dealer being frustrated about this as much as I am...well actually I'm more at the stage of pretty p***ed off to be fair.
I've followed your extensive excellent instructions above to the letter but still get sod all other than telephony and contacts list....HELP!....am I doing something wrong or should I be doing something else or is it an i-phone 4 thing? I've tried, for comparison purposes, repeating your instructions whilst pairing my wife's i-phone 4S (also running ios 7 software ) and that doesn't bloody work either!
Whilst I'm not too fussy about having e-mails available through the i-drive, although it would be nice if it did, I really do miss being able to see my text messages....any advice/help you could offer?
Initially I though it might be an iPhone 4 thing, but apparently the iPhone 4 does support Bluetooth MAP (Message Access Profile) which is the protocol Bluetooth uses to send messages to other devices.

If you have followed my suggestions it should work, I'm sure I covered everything, however I would be suspicious of the IOS7 update. If you have recently upgrade your phone then I would start by resetting things, firstly delete the pairing in Idrive, then on your iPhone go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings (bear in mind this will also reset your phones wifi so you will need to re-connect to any wifi networks).

Once that's done go back and re-pair with the car making sure to follow the guidance about showing notiifcations in the iPhone and making sure Office is ticked under the iDrive Configure Bluetooth settings.

Disclaimer: It's Saturday night and I've had a couple of beers/rums, therefore this advice might be inaccurate!
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #31
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Just a quick post for those of you out there who maybe have an i-phone 4 and have been following this thread. With grateful thanks to 'd4springer' and his detailed information I now have this working on my i-drive.
My i-phone 4 is running IOS 7 software and it all started to come together once I had done a re-set on the Network connections of my phone and then configured Bluetooth when I next paired the phone to the car.
Yet another 'Forum Result' for sure!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #32
swanseahammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 330e M Sport

Garage List
2008 320d SE  [0.00]
Great post. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #33
dan2014
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 30d 2014

thanks

Thanks for the tips.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #34
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F30 MSport

Well I'd given up trying to get e-m (EBT/pro/iPhone 5). Texts been coming through fine though, get a little envelope icon top right, so not too bad and I've come to accept the situation.

Anyway, yesterday up pops the little envelope icon. Oh, a text I thought, but no, it was an e-m. I could open it and everything. My first ever e-m. Woohoo.

None have come through since though, it appears to have been a one off.

A tantalising glimpse into what might be possible if only it worked properly.
      04-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #35
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Well mine is not working with my iPhone 5S. Went to BMW, both product Genius gUys could not set up any of my email accounts. Also, no text messages. They've contacted the BMW Connecteddrive team. I give up! Want my money back!

Last edited by F30AM; 04-22-2014 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #36
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Well mine is not working with my iPhone 5S. Went to BMW, both product Genius gays could not set up any of my email accounts. Also, no text messages. They've contacted the BMW Connecteddrive team. I give up! Want my money back!
Maybe I spoke too soon with my post a few days ago! Despite d4springers excellent instructions I seem to have 'lost' text messages again and still yet to see e-mails!......Bugger!......Going to try again starting from scratch and if that doesn't work then it may be a case of...oh well!...ho hum!...SOD IT !
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #37
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

It seems there is an update in August for the iPhone 5S to get working with connected drive.
      04-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #38
Pietro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
It seems there is an update in August for the iPhone 5S to get working with connected drive.
That sounds like great news F30!! How did you find out??

Does the snap-in work properly??
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #39
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillCC View Post
That sounds like great news F30!! How did you find out??

Does the snap-in work properly??
I don't have a snap-in.
      04-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #40
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 40D Msport+ in Blue

I know this does not solve iPhone issues but HTC ONE on android works great, the Bluetooth map protocol is compatible, see mails as they arrive, read and replay via controller or voice using dragon apart from the calendar.

David

MY2019 X3 40D M-sport with all the toys. Also a Mini CS for the wife and me to play in at the weekends
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #41
matt666
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d

I have iPhone 5s, ios 7.1.1 and latest idrive software from the BMW site.

I can get SMS and emails but can't reply to them. Anyone had any success with replies?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #42
gasmonkey
Rep
Drives: 335d xdrive M Sport

Am I the only person here who uses Siri? She reads me my texts and emails. I don't have EBT but she doesn't hold that against me.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 12:32 AM   #43
matt666
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d

I've tried Siri a few times while in the car, I always get "I'm really sorry about this but I can't help you at the moment, blah blah"
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:10 AM   #44
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt666 View Post
I've tried Siri a few times while in the car, I always get "I'm really sorry about this but I can't help you at the moment, blah blah"
That's your phone signal, not Siri
Appreciate 0