F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Custom building a 328i M Sport
Extreme Powerhouse

11-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 LCI M3 2015

Custom building a 328i M Sport

Hello fellas, thought I'd introduce myself to the OZ community formally and bring over my thread from the general section as well.

I've had my first Bimmer since 2009 and after going for a drive with a friend in his Golf R, i suddenly "realised" that my 325Ci just wasn't going to give me the kind of the thrill I suddenly crave... hence I've decided to get the 328i (335i is just too much burden on the finances).

I have until next Thursday to make up my mind about what to spec and I would like all your input with the options (damn BMW, so many tempting choices).

Original post as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by screenshot View Post
Hi all, I have just joined this forum and this is my first post. Looks a like great community with a lot of like minded Bimmer lovers.

Just put down a deposit on a 328i M Sport with my local dealer having agreed to a set of specs and a very good price. I have about a month to change my mind on specifications as I've deliberately held off the order so my car can be a 2013 build car.

I really need help in deciding what options will be popular with future buyers when it comes to sell the car in 3-4 years time. Here are the options which I categorise as MUST HAVES:
  • M Sport package
  • Bi-Xenon lights with washers
  • Dakota Beige interior and Wood trim
  • Sunroof
Can't make up my mind about these OPTIONS:
  • Estoril Blue or Sapphire Black?? Do you find that the M Sport body kit looks more striking in the blue but in black it sort of just "blends in" with it all
  • Heads Up Display (Included in sale price valued over $1500)
  • Comfort Access pack - keyless entry and auto boot opening (included in sale price valued at $850)
  • Upgrade to Prof Nav - this option costs about $1077 here in Australia. From what i've seen around this forum, it looks pretty amazing and makes the standard Nav look mundane and backward
  • Adaptive M Suspension $1077 - Not that many have ticked this box but those who have all seem to swear by it
  • Extended connectivity BT/USB + Voice recog $385
  • Digital Radio $385 - I listen to a lot of radio but I'm afraid the future M Sport buyer won't care much for radio?
  • M Sport Brakes $1077
Out of these undecided Options, I have a budget of $3000 to choose any combination of the above.

QUESTION: in the context that this is a 328i M Sport with Beige interior, if you were an interested buyer of this vehicle that also featured all of the MUST HAVES, what combination of OPTIONS up to $3000 would tickle your fancy and make you want to buy THIS car over others?? In other words, how would you spend the $3000 if you were to only choose from the OPTIONS list above?

Any suggestions welcome
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Welcome aboard. Also come talk to us in the Australian section, if you haven't done so already.

Must Have:
M-Sport package. I waited 7, yes SEVEN months for mine. Hard and at times I thought the car would never be built, but once I took delivery of my 328i, all was forgiven. A BIG YES to that one.

Bi-Xenons. Just for the best looking DRLs on the road anywhere in the world!!! My 328i is the first with Bi-X for me. Well, call me a little strange, but I'm not as excited about them as some are. Maybe because so many of Melbourne's roads are very well lit. Still YES to this option.

Beige interior. Personal choice here. I have an all black interior and I LOVE it. I had the same in my just sold E90. Your choice for this option.

Sunroof. My 328i is my 4th BMW. I have had sunroofs in each of them. I enjoy the sunroof and make use of it whenever possible. YES to this one. Here in Aus, it is kind of expected in this type of car.

Undecided Options:
EB or SB. For you it has to be SB as I want to be the only one in Melbourne with EB!!!!! LOLOL. Well that was true for about 5 minutes a few weeks ago. Seriously, EB is stunning and I've seen the M-Sport in
white:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757602
black:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754921
of course EB:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757563
Hope these help

HUD:
I have the HUD and if you use the navigation, it is well worth the cost. Otherwise it pretty much displays digital speed full time, with alert pop ups along the way. If you like to change radio stations frequently or are on the hands free phone often, then yes, the HUD works well for your driving comfort. I would like to see the indicator arrows & even the fun to watch instantaneous fuel consumption on the HUD. Probably a few other bits of info along the way.
YES to the HUD.

Comfort Access:
I deliberately opted out of this one. I could have ordered one 7 years ago for the E90, but I don't have a problem pressing 2 buttons on the key fob. Some people are having small positioning issues with the kick open boot release. Happy choosing no to this one again.

Professional Nav:
If you are waiting for a 2013 build date, then from now, there is an upgrade to the Nav. Then it is an absolute YES to Pro Nav for you. Also, you answered the question/decision yourself.

Adaptive M-Suspension:
If you are going to take lots of country driving trips, then maybe yes. If you are staying in town, the M-Sport suspension, which is part of the M-Sport package, is just fine. If you drive very fast and take corners like an F1 driver, then probably yes. Not a major issue for me. I'm sure it's a great option to tick if you have unlimited funds. Besides, you can always upgrade the suspension with an after market one later on.

Extended connectivity & USB:
If you like to listen to music on your smartphone & upload from USB, then YES. Probably would rank as option choice 1 after M-Sport package.

DAB+ Radio:
Forget what a future M-Sport buyer would like. It's what you want now and for as long as YOU own the car. If you like DAB+ radio - you can access all of the stations here: http://www.digitalradioplus.com.au then yes for the variety over the limited choices via AM & FM. I like NovaNation & Edge Digital. The (music) sound quality from DAB on my hk isn't as good as I expected, but the genre choices are wide & varied. If you are an AM listener, then the DAB option would be worthwhile. Nonetheless, it was a very big YES for me.

M-Sport Brakes:
The standard brakes are brilliant for me for the time being. Maybe M-Performance brakes later if anything. Probably other priorities for you with limited option budget.

Answer to Question B:
With all due respect to you, do not bother yourself about what other people want in a few years time when you are buying the car for yourself NOW! When it comes time to sell your car, they will look at the age, price, how many kms you have travelled and how well it has been looked after. They won't care terribly much if it has this or that option as it is a second hand car. They cannot choose the options. If they could, they would buy a new one.

I just sold my 325i E90. It was sold very quickly (within 2 weeks of listing it on carsales.com.au) not because of the options it had - and I pushed those in my sals pitch - but because it was priced right, had very low kms on it, was looked after and drove perfectly.

We all have different option priorities, even when buying an M-Sport 3 Series. Pretty much all of the options are useful in one way or another. What suits you and your driving lifestyle/requirements?

Hope this long post helps you decide. See you in the Aussie section.
Cheers
First of all, cheers David for the most detailed and elaborate response to my question so far on this forum. Thanks a lot and what a great way to get acquainted with the local BimmerPost community! Certainly made me feel very welcome indeed. Hopefully one day, I will make some of your acquaintance in person too.

Yeah the M Sport package was a no-brainer for me this time; having driven a non-M Sport for the last 3.5 years, I have come to the conclusion that a bimmer just isn't quite 100% without this upgrade. Bi-Xenon were another no-brainer.

As much as I like to just build a car purely for MY specific needs, I still try to maintain some meek resemblance of financial responsibility by at least building a car that could achieve good resale.

David you've summed up the choices very nicely. Can you elaborate a little more on the Pro Nav and why you believe it is a MUST have even though the 328i comes with Business Nav as standard. Is the Pro Nav mind blowingly better?

I do listen to a lot of AM radio actually, and hate how the analogue signal goes haywire every time i'm in a multi-story carpark or near a tram track! I am not a music buff but I recognise that the most people are into it and probably would come to expect good connectivity with the smart phone of their choice. I'm here to confirm my suspicions but surprisingly, not a lot of people have listed this as top priority.

Ah the Adaptive Suspensions. Yes I do like my corners fast and would like to cut through them with poise and dignity whilst going much faster than what's regarded as appropriate cornering speed. I was hoping the Adjustable suspension would have a noticeable affect even in suburban driving conditions? I was also hoping that in COMFORT mode whilst going over our constantly deteriorating roads, the Adaptive M would make the car feel more "luxurious"?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Hi Screen shot, Welcome to the Aus forum

looking like a nice build you have going there

I've had a sunroof in all my cars leading up to my F30 but I rarely use it. so this time round I've actually opted to not have it. Personal choice I guess, so for my that free up a little more $$ to play with.

I'd check off the HUD, DAB radio and Pro Nav as options to consider. These are more creature comforts for the current driver (i.e. us F30 forum goers) and make the drive that little bit more personal and enjoyable to us.

I love both the colour choices you have (although I went with AW), seeing both, I have to say the black wins my heart over more than the EB (not to say the EB isn't a fantastic colour)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
fd80
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

Heads Up Display (Included in sale price valued over $1500)
I don't have it in mine, but I don't *think* terribly miss it, with the navigation it comes up in my extended instrument cluster in the dash screen I have under my speedo (included in Prof Nav), which suffices for me for the odd occasion I do use the GPS- my father's X3 has it and I find it indispensable in that car, as the ride is higher, but in the 3 series, you seem to be lower and the line of vision of the dash... If you have the spare cash go for it - however it wasn't a deal breaker for me personally.
Comfort Access pack - keyless entry and auto boot opening (included in sale price valued at $850)

I have this, I find it handy. I use the boot opening quite regularly now, its not that hard to master once you work it out. I like the fact I can touch the handle to open and close my car. I would get it again if I were to re-order.
Upgrade to Prof Nav - this option costs about $1077 here in Australia. From what i've seen around this forum, it looks pretty amazing and makes the standard Nav look mundane and backward The screen real estate it handy, I have the left 2/3 for Nav, and the right 1/3 for the Radio details (the song name etc) and it also gives you the "Instrument cluster with extended contents: described above as well.

Dave are you sure that the new navigation is coming to Australia? I haven't been able to find anything anywhere to confirm its coming to Australia. If not getting HUD, maybe get this?
Adaptive M Suspension $1077 - Not that many have ticked this box but those who have all seem to swear by it
I have the standard suspension, but everywhere I've read says its amazing. I would probably have ticked this box if I were to re-order now, but I'm not sure on the improvement between my standard suspension and the M'Sport included one, if it would suffice. I would like my car to be a bit more comfy in comfort mode.. and a bit stiffer in sport mode...
Extended connectivity BT/USB + Voice recog $385
Voice recognition is disappointing for entering Navigation and stuff, only really handy for the phonebook, as it seems to work quite well. Extended bluetooth is handy for having more then 1 phone connected - eg yours and your gf/wife etc Haven't used the USB music or the iphone connection for music yet.
Digital Radio $385 - I listen to a lot of radio but I'm afraid the future M Sport buyer won't care much for radio? I listen to alot of SEN down in Melbourne, its amazing for AM.... ... for FM vs Digital there isn't so much difference, and if you're like me that hasn't got an iPod full of music, but like listening to a variety, the digital stations are pretty cool. There's a station just of 80's music, one just of 90's... etc oh and you can even listen to the Chemist Warehouse station... feels like you're shopping for prescription medicines when you put this station on.....
M Sport Brakes $1077
Not sure, can't comment.

Either way, whatever you choose.. you could always choose more... but then the sky's the limit with BMW and their options... draw the line somewhere...
If you were going to force me to choose some options for you, I'd go for Adaptive Suspension, Prof Nav, Digital Radio, and Extended Connectivity.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 03:38 AM   #5
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Welcome, screenshot, I'll throw my 2c in for you mate.

Quote:
  • Estoril Blue or Sapphire Black?? Peacock vs. Classic. I think everyone gets a blue car once, I know I did, but I don't feel compelled to get another one since.
  • Heads Up Display Great feature, really dig it. Helps me keep me eye on the road to watch for "dive bombers" (people who merge into your lane while braking heavily) and the way it brings up radio/media, nav functions and other information is excellent.
  • Comfort Access again, great feature, really dig it.
  • Upgrade to Prof Nav you'll regret not getting it.
  • Adaptive M Suspension I swear by it.
  • Extended connectivity It's a nice to have and hard not to tick given a lot of much cheaper cars have it nowadays.
  • Digital Radio I like the variety of stations on offer. Tend to switch between my staple of Triple J with Koffee, Buddha and SBS Chill.
  • M Sport Brakes should be standard with M-sport pack/line/kit/whatever? Or is it the upgrade to full M Performance brakes?
I think you might want to consider whether or not you want the M Sport over say the Sport line. With the exception of the brake calipers and larger wheels it's all cosmetic and I have to say I don't car for the lines, it reminds me too much of the E9x series and I wasn't a fan of those. Each to their own of course.

For the difference in ticket price you could get Sport line 328i and tick the box on a few more options. If you found that the brakes aren't up to par for how hard you're going to push (I've tracked mine and can say that they're ok - could be better - but did ok by me when pushed) you could option the M Performance gear later. I have to say, if your driving on public roads you will find the standard units more than up to the task.

Either way the 328i is a great choice and the F30 incarnation of the 3er is a fantastic car IMO. You'll find a few builds in my old spec thread here too http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687244

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 05:07 AM   #6
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Hi ScreenShot..

I started with a priority list and went down the list, I'm sure you would have thought of something similar already. I love all the colours on the M sport and for me I've always favoured dark colours more. Top 2 Favs for me would be EB White and BS

I'll rate the options you got liste there based on what I've experied

Heads Up Display (5/5) - I'll nvr go with a car without one. With the Melbourne speed zones changes every 1km, i helps alot that I dont need to re-focus my eyes to the speedometer.

Comfort Access pack (2/5) - Tested it.. nvr bothered me. I kinda liked the fact that I need to whip out my key to open the car. Weird

Upgrade to Prof Nav (5/5) - Must have if you use Nav much. I take a lot of drives to new places so Nav on a big screen is awesome.

Adaptive M Suspension (3/5) - I rated this 3 outa 5 as I tested the normal suspension and found it too soft for my liking so I went M sport suspension. It drives great abit harsh when you get on the tram tracks tho.

Extended connectivity BT/USB + Voice recog (3/5) - Kinda handy if you've got an iPhone.. the Y cable is kinda annoying to remove and plug in.

Digital Radio - No comments nvr listen to radio

M Sport Brakes - If you want sports brakes I'd say go for the M Performance ones.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

More detailed comments - Love it. Thanks guys.

@Spikey Hey I hardly use my sunroof either, in that I don't really bother to slide it and open it as it creates all sorts of noise pollution into the cabin and nowadays with all the pollen, it stays SHUT. However, one thing the sunroof does very well and passively is let in all that good sunlight/streetlight so the cabin always feels bright and airy regardless of the weather. I know it's expensive but hey I'll hang onto this one. Thanks for voting too btw.

@ij05 So you optioned Extended Instrument Cluster? I never quite understood what it offered, could you care to elaborate? It costs like $269 so isn't exactly cheap! Picture would great if you have one. You mentioned that the Pro Nav gives you instrument cluster... do you mean it puts info on the extended instr cluster or do you mean the Pro Nav option INCLUDES the extended instr cluster? I might pick up the DAB afterall, I haven't listened to music on my iphone for a year. Thanks for voting!

@Dabaitu The Lines offer better colour choices and is clearly cheaper but since I'm going from a Coupe to a Sedan, I like to maintain some semblance of sportiness and I plan on living that through the MSport kit :P Cheers for the link, I'm going to check out after finishing this response.

@J1n Appreciate the plug for the HUD, another reason to keep it on my shopping list. I don't use Nav much but I would appreciate the screen real estate. Given how Apple gadget spoilt I am, i think this feature would put a smile on my face.. still expensive though. M Brakes are def off the list!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #8
Drk280
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Adaptive is a MUST imo, mixed with VSS (also a must imo) when you switch from comfort to sport the change is extremely noticeable, the car handles extremely well, then when you go on rough roads, the comfort setting does a remarkable job of absorbing the shakes (car is softer in comfort mode than it is on standard suspension). You won't regret adaptive of vss.

Don't forget to get at least the 9 speaker Hi Fi - it sounds quite well, and much better than the standard audio (unless you are going aftermarket).

The HUD would be great if we could see the left and right indicators, they are kinda hard to see and blocked by the wheel.

Comfort access is awesome, placing your finger on the handle to lock the car makes life so much easier, same goes when opening the door. You will wonder how did you ever drive a car without it, no more fumbling keys

Prof Nav you also will not regret

DAB radio works in Sydney as i have been told, i get no stations here 80km north of Sydney.

The media cradle is also well worth it imo coupled with bluetooth connectivity
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

@Dabaitu The Lines offer better colour choices and is clearly cheaper but since I'm going from a Coupe to a Sedan, I like to maintain some semblance of sportiness and I plan on living that through the MSport kit :P Cheers for the link, I'm going to check out after finishing this response.
It's all good, glad you found it helpful. As for moving from coupe to sedan, don't get too worried about it. I went from a tuned E82 135i putting out 250kW ATW and full suspension mods to this, and I can still get it around a corner plenty fast without a body kit
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
It's all good, glad you found it helpful. As for moving from coupe to sedan, don't get too worried about it. I went from a tuned E82 135i putting out 250kW ATW and full suspension mods to this, and I can still get it around a corner plenty fast without a body kit
OH it's not the performance I'm worried. I'm supremely confident that the 328i mere Sedan will outstrip my current 325 coupe... but coupes are just so sexy
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Hey all, I'm a newbie to the forum as well and contemplating putting in an order for the 328i as well.

I'm going for the sunroof as well... in my current car it's open only 20% of the time, but I love it for the extra light it brings into the cabin.

From all of the reviews on the 328i it sounds like the Adaptive Suspension is a must. Most reviewers have panned the standard suspension (Car Magazine, Wheels) & are praising the car with the adaptive setup, so looks like I will tick that box as well. (having said that, I don't think anyone has reviewed the standard M Sport suspension).

Because I'm ticking the adaptive suspension box, I'm going to do without the HUD (as cool as it sounds). I was also thinking about the Professional nav as well, but to me the suspension was more important. The 6 inch screen on my current car is plenty of visual real estate.

Long term, the 2nd hand buyers won't appreciate the additional $$$ you sunk into the other options. The comfort access & BT/voice recognition sound nice, but don't seem essential.

Even though I'm not considering it atm, the +DAB seems like it's worth it & you will enjoy AM more. I listen to AM about 40% of the time and can appreciate the difference it would make. I'm thinking of the heating all seats instead (though this thread has got me thinking).

The brakes sounds like you are thinking of taking the car onto a track, so you probably should to minimise brake fade.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ij05 View Post
Dave are you sure that the new navigation is coming to Australia?.
It's the next increment in the continual upgrading of any & all BMW models. Probably not every aspect, but those we can use here.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716464
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Hey all, I'm a newbie to the forum as well and contemplating putting in an order for the 328i as well. I don't think anyone has reviewed the standard M Sport suspension.
Welcome.

OK, so there are 3 suspensions
1. Standard
2. M-Sport
3 Adaptive M Suspension

I have 2. Review:
It's good. However, I haven't clocked terribly many kms and I am still running the car in so I'm not testing suspension limits just yet.

I think J1n might be able to elaborate as I recall a post of his mentioning he likes taking fast corners, a good test of the suspension.

Adaptive should be a real screamer.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #14
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Hey all, I'm a newbie to the forum as well and contemplating putting in an order for the 328i as well.

I'm going for the sunroof as well... in my current car it's open only 20% of the time, but I love it for the extra light it brings into the cabin.

From all of the reviews on the 328i it sounds like the Adaptive Suspension is a must. Most reviewers have panned the standard suspension (Car Magazine, Wheels) & are praising the car with the adaptive setup, so looks like I will tick that box as well. (having said that, I don't think anyone has reviewed the standard M Sport suspension).

Because I'm ticking the adaptive suspension box, I'm going to do without the HUD (as cool as it sounds). I was also thinking about the Professional nav as well, but to me the suspension was more important. The 6 inch screen on my current car is plenty of visual real estate.

Long term, the 2nd hand buyers won't appreciate the additional $$$ you sunk into the other options. The comfort access & BT/voice recognition sound nice, but don't seem essential.

Even though I'm not considering it atm, the +DAB seems like it's worth it & you will enjoy AM more. I listen to AM about 40% of the time and can appreciate the difference it would make. I'm thinking of the heating all seats instead (though this thread has got me thinking).

The brakes sounds like you are thinking of taking the car onto a track, so you probably should to minimise brake fade.

I'm loving the M Sports suspension..i was taking a few hard corners and it grips the road really well (no floating sensation). I was taking the 360 turn off Hoddle St today which was a 30 kmh or something turn at 70kmh (with sports+ mode on, man it was fun ) a mate of mine who has an RX8, was surprised how comfortable the ride was when I told him it was sports suspensions and yet it swerves nicely around the corners. On certain roads with tram tracks the ride is abit harsher. But for the majority of melbourne roads it's fine.

I find the normal suspension we have on our F10 way too soft. Perhaps adaptive m suspension is the best of both worlds. If you want the best of both worlds. For me personally if I want a softer setup i'll just drive my other car.

Last edited by J1n; 11-04-2012 at 06:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #15
Drk280
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Heated seats is a great option too, especially if you have back problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #16
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Hi CKau, ah yes, decision decision. Have you decided on what Colour combination you will get? I'm considering ditching the DAB+ in favour of the more primitive method of connecting up the phone via the Y-Cable or just BT and winging it. TBH, i really think BMW should have included DAB and Ext Connectivity as standard. So many sub-$30k cars have it in their base model, what's up with that.

I'm going to be very excited about the elimination of "floaty feeling" when hard cornering. This will be a god-send indeed. My current E46 is all nose heavy and certainly floats around and feels like it wants run away during a fast corner.

P.S. today i spotted a 320i E90 in M Sport 2012 model in the car park and got excited that it was an F30 M Sport... a few moments later I felt duped as I realised what it was. Man, may be they haven't really changed the styling THAT much.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #17
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I had a AW ext. /black int. 320i loan car today while I had a couple of small warranty issues fixed. The only options AFAIK that were ticked were the roof and reversing camera.

As far as comparing what options I missed and noticed the most, it'd be the suspension, lack of HUD, standard Nav, non-extended display and standard speakers. I have the Anthracite roof liner also, but I was ok with the stock one this car had.

The car in standard trim is quite capable but missing a few things to really give it that luxury feel.

Whatever you end up choosing, and I know you're already thinking the same, but in the end just get whatever you want that works for your budget. Everyone else can be hung, they're not going to be driving your car!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:00 AM   #18
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
As far as comparing what options I missed and noticed the most, it'd be the suspension, lack of HUD, standard Nav, non-extended display and standard speakers. I have the Anthracite roof liner also, but I was ok with the stock one this car had.
Yeah thanks, I'm coming pretty close to the final list.

You said these were the most noticeable options you missed. I take it that you didn't get the HUD, kept the Business Navigation instead of upgrading to Prof? You missed them, how so? particularly why the extended display so important?

Pardon me in advance in case i misinterpreted what you just said.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #19
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I'm considering ditching the DAB+ in favour of the more primitive method of connecting up the phone via the Y-Cable or just BT and winging it. TBH, i really think BMW should have included DAB and Ext Connectivity as standard. So many sub-$30k cars have it in their base model, what's up with that.
Just to clear up any misunderstanding you have, the DAB is a radio. Digital radio. The only car manufacturer in Australia offering it as standard, is Toyota on some models. Every other manufacturer/distributor, which offers DAB+ radio, does so as an option at this time. This will probably continue for some time as DAB is not terribly popular due to its limited coverage/reach.

Extended connectivity is the ability for your smartphone to wirelessly stream the audio (music) to the amp so it plays back through the speakers. In addition, this option allows you to connect a USB device to the car for it to playback music loaded onto the USB.

The DAB & EC are 2 different and separate options.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #20
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah thanks, I'm coming pretty close to the final list.

You said these were the most noticeable options you missed. I take it that you didn't get the HUD, kept the Business Navigation instead of upgrading to Prof? You missed them, how so? particularly why the extended display so important?

Pardon me in advance in case i misinterpreted what you just said.
No pardon needed mate, this is the Aussie sub-forum you don't need to walk around on egg-shells here

What I meant was what I missed on the loan car compared to my ride, as I optioned a whole bunch of stuff.

With 20/20 hind-sight, I really wouldn't have changed anything. Surround view might have made the list come to think of it, but meh. It's stuff like the park assist, lane change and blindspot options that (for me) I can do without.

Mainly because I can shoulder-check when changing lanes and know how to parallel park
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 06:11 AM   #21
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Quote:
Hi CKau, ah yes, decision decision. Have you decided on what Colour combination you will get? I'm considering ditching the DAB+ in favour of the more primitive method of connecting up the phone via the Y-Cable or just BT and winging it. TBH, i really think BMW should have included DAB and Ext Connectivity as standard. So many sub-$30k cars have it in their base model, what's up with
As i like going out on weekends out of town, esp in the summer, it will be white for me. I am thinking beige interior but would love it if they could do black carpets with the beige interior. I suspect beige carpets can be tough to clean if muddy shoes enter the car.

If not, might have to go luxury line and would option up the saddle brown interior instead.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #22
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Ckau, I rang my dealership this morning and asked about the Light coloured seats only options. Basically in the M Sport, we have 2 options that fits your requirements: Opal White or Cashmere Beige (you can choose them in the BMW configurator).

Apparently you must also individualise the trim to a Piano Black or the like along with this option so the total cost comes to just over $2000 retail. Pretty expensive yes, but it can be done.
Appreciate 0