F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 320i or 328i
Studio RSR
View Poll Results: which one do u suggest.
320 21 14.69%
328 122 85.31%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

03-08-2017, 10:56 PM   #155
BMWtight2me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320ayayay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtc411 View Post
Once again. Anyone who says get a 320 over a 328 if you have the budget is in denial. 320<328<340<m3

Doesn't mean it's the right fit for everyone. Such a crappy subjective thread.

I just blew the doors off a 335 msport today. Twice. He was in denial when I told him it was a modified 320i. A car that with all performance mods and forged wheels on coilovers, costs less (all mods included) than the 335i, and is somehow also more efficient. Dont hate on those of us that like to tune 4-bangers, and don't act like some elitist that thinks you can do anything to a 328i that you could do to a 320i as well. Just wait till I forge my internals and get a big turbo. And not to rub it in, but it turns out I do have the budget. Im keeping the fleet goin with the new X5, 528, 320, NS 68 Continental. I love all my cars for different reasons. The 320i's my first time heavily tuning a turbo 4, and I bout the car for just over 30k. Dropping say 10k on a car like that to sup it up isn't much of a risk. I bought the car so Im down to trick it out however I want, its not much money. Buying a 335/40 puts the price up another league (50-60k) to begin with and modding 10k or more on top of that to make it look as good and drive as aggressive (downpipe/tune/intercooler etc.), then all the sudden were talking a much bigger risk it you push it too far. I want to push it far and get my hands dirty seeing how much I can push the 20i, and regardless of how it goes Ill jump up to a v6 or v8 twin turbo for my next car with knowledge an expectation for how I want to modify it.

To give you an analogy for how I think of it. Some aren't into modding, but to me, staying stock is like buying a mac computer, where you get stuck with a soon to be outdated model that cannot be easily upgraded, and gets, shamed by the newer higher version that drops later that year... I think of these awesome modular german cars like a well designed modular pc computer build. An open ended platform that can be modified and upgraded to blow the doors off much more expensive apple computers, in reality are limited by all their own proprietary locked off operating system and hardware.

Its like an f30 locking 'off sport +' even though its innately in the car already. Or locking off the peak psi in the 320i to a slower less valuable looking performance specs, when it in facts nearly an identical machine as the 328i and you can simply switch it to the same psi as the 328i (with say a map 5 tune) and its they're the same psi and same speed. Though some the other minute hardware difference exist, i haven't seen how thats effected anything in the tuning peak performance. Another two friend of mines havn't been able to tune his 328i or 448i as fast as mine. And my other bitter homie with an msport 335i, the last to believe the 320 could rival his his nearly 60k car, and the 320 handled.

Not trippin whether the 320 or 328 is better. A stock 328i is definitely superior, but I'm interested in modifying all my bmws and ive yet to see how the 320 is any less impressive once fully modified. Hey, thats free money in my pocket. Ive only been able to test this stuff with my friends, so anyone else can feel free to shine some extra wisdom on which cars compression benefits more with 100 octane or ethanol.

Been putting high octane blends in my car lately and that extra 11:1 compression is lighting up with the nice blends -- might give the the 320i a little extra umph with the right condition. Ignition time is ridin high from the full bolt ons and racing juice. (328is beware I havnt been able to find a 328i faster than mine and Im in the SoCal f30 club with quite a few modified f30s. Obviously a lil jealous of the homie rocking the a build like mine but on his 340 . But I got no problem keepin up! I have just as much fun and make quite a racket when I canyon run with my buddies, in M3s/4s, NSX, Porsche. The 320s light an it rips through windy roads, Im often in front )

Those into saving money modifying the 320 can pat themselves on the back for buying the cheapest platform and being able to push it as fast or faster than some of the high class 3 series. Plus Im the type of guy that likes to buy an appealing car for the value, and work on it. I currently added a beautiful '68 Lincoln Continental, and Ill always be working on that too. Its my 528i that i leave as the more classy comfort ride.

Would be fun to do a quarter mile track day with whosoever got similarly built out 320/328s. Mine will be quite quick, especially with an ethanol blend or 100 octane. Would just be fun to see how the two stack up with when taking full advantage of the turbo, as well as how the performance differs with the slightly higher/lower compression with high octane.

Last edited by BMWtight2me; 03-12-2017 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 01:47 AM   #156
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWtight2me View Post
I just blew the doors off a 335 msport today. Twice. He was in denial when I told him it was a modified 320i. A car that with all performance mods and forged wheels on coilovers, that costs less (all muds included) than the 335i, and is somehow also more efficient. Dont hate on those of us that like to tune 4-bangers, and don't act like some elitist that thinks you can do anything to a 328i that you could do to a 320i as well. Just wait till I forge my internals and get a big turbo. And not to rub it in, but it turns out I do have the budget. Im keeping the fleet goin with the new X5, 528, 320, NS 68 Continental. I love all my cars for different reasons. The 320i's my first time heavily tuning a turbo 4, and I bout the car for just over 30k. Dropping say 10k on a car like that to sup it up isn't much of a risk. I bought the car so Im down to trick it out however I want, its not much money. Buying a 335/40 puts the price up another league (50-60k) to begin with and modding 10k or more on top of that to make it look as good and drive as aggressive (downpipe/tune/intercooler etc.), then all the sudden were talking a much bigger risk it you push it too far. I want to push it far and get my hands dirty seeing how much I can push the 20i, and regardless of how it goes Ill jump up to a v6 or v8 twin turbo for my next car with knowledge an expectation for how I want to modify it.

To give you an analogy for how I think of it. Some aren't into modding, but to me, staying stock is like buying a mac computer, where you get stuck with a soon to be outdated model that cannot be easily upgraded, and gets, shamed by the newer higher version that drops later that year... I think of these awesome modular german cars like a well designed modular pc computer build. An open ended platform that can be modified and upgraded to blow the doors off much more expensive apple computers, in reality are limited by all their own proprietary locked off operating system and hardware.

Its like an f30 locking 'off sport +' even though its innately in the car already. Or locking off the peak psi in the 320i to a slower less valuable looking performance specs, when it in facts nearly an identical machine as the 328i and you can simply switch it to the same psi as the 328i (with say a map 5 tune) and its they're the same psi and same speed. Though some the other minute hardware difference exist, i haven't seen how thats effected anything in the tuning peak performance. Another two friend of mines havn't been able to tune his 328i or 448i as fast as mine. And my other bitter homie with an msport 335i, the last to believe the 320 could rival his his nearly 60k car, and the 320 handled.

Not trippin whether the 320 or 328 is better. A stock 328i is definitely superior, but I'm interested in modifying all my bmws and ive yet to see how the 320 is any less impressive once fully modified. Hey, thats free money in my pocket. Ive only been able to test this stuff with my friends, so anyone else can feel free to shine some extra wisdom on which cars compression benefits more with 100 octane or ethanol.

Been putting high octane blends in my car lately and that extra 11:1 compression is lighting up with the nice blends -- might give the the 320i a little extra umph with the right condition. Ignition time is ridin high from the full bolt ons and racing juice. (328is beware I havnt been able to find a 328i faster than mine and Im in the SoCal f30 club with quite a few modified f30s. Obviously a lil jealous of the homie rocking the a build like mine but on his 340 . But I got no problem keepin up! I have just as much fun and make quite a racket when I canyon run with my buddies, in M3s/4s, NSX, Porsche. The 320s light an it rips through windy roads, Im often in front )

Those into saving money modifying the 320 can pat themselves on the back for buying the cheapest platform and being able to push it as fast or faster than some of the high class 3 series. Plus Im the type of guy that likes to buy an appealing car for the value, and work on it. I currently added a beautiful '68 Lincoln Continental, and Ill always be working on that too. Its my 528i that i leave as the more classy comfort ride.

Would be fun to do a quarter mile track day with whosoever got similarly built out 320/328s. Mine will be quite quick, especially with an ethanol blend or 100 octane. Would just be fun to see how the two stack up with when taking full advantage of the turbo, as well as how the performance differs with the slightly higher/lower compression with high octane.

This thread is over a month old.

Not everyone want's to mod 320i like you have. Yes, you can mod a car to be faster than the model up, but that's with almost any car. That's why the WRX is generally more popular than the STI. The question of 320i vs 328i is entirely up to the buyer, their needs, and their plans for it. I get it, you want to shut down the people who are smack talking the 320i and I happen to think that the 320i is a fine car and can be a lot of fun. Honestly though, hubris takes a lot of fun out of it. If I was going for cheap, fast and fun, I'd go for an MX-5 or a WRX, M240i or 220i or a Cayman. The 320i isn't for me. I see it as a fun sedan, and not a track star, and certainly not on the top of my list of fun things to mod. But again, that is me, and you are not me. So I'm glad you are enjoying your 320i, but I think people actually prefer the 328i 330i and the 340i over a 320i for more reasons that just tune-ability, speed, and cost effectiveness. So please, I know making the 335i and 328i drivers feel bad is a bit vindicating, but there are ways to express your joy in your 320i without ruing the fun of others.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
donkey464.00
      03-09-2017, 02:07 AM   #157
MWMM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328iF30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless_Triliionaire View Post
I need some help from my fellow simmer bothers and sister. planing on getting a bmw but stuck between 320 or 328. if i get the 320 are they any ways to make it up to par with the 328i? i know I'm gonna get that or two (maybe a lot) saying oh just get a 335. maybe as my second bmw but those are the two I'm looking at just want to know which is better in general and which is better for mods. Hope i can get some help and info.
Thanks in advance
No point in trying to make a 320 like a 328i, just get the 28. dealers price diff is only $1000, not even much
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #158
newuser310
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
I just blew the doors off a 335 msport today. Twice.
but you still have a 320i

Appreciate 1
      03-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #159
BMWtight2me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
This thread is over a month old.

Not everyone want's to mod 320i like you have. Yes, you can mod a car to be faster than the model up, but that's with almost any car. That's why the WRX is generally more popular than the STI. The question of 320i vs 328i is entirely up to the buyer, their needs, and their plans for it. I get it, you want to shut down the people who are smack talking the 320i and I happen to think that the 320i is a fine car and can be a lot of fun. Honestly though, hubris takes a lot of fun out of it. If I was going for cheap, fast and fun, I'd go for an MX-5 or a WRX, M240i or 220i or a Cayman. The 320i isn't for me. I see it as a fun sedan, and not a track star, and certainly not on the top of my list of fun things to mod. But again, that is me, and you are not me. So I'm glad you are enjoying your 320i, but I think people actually prefer the 328i 330i and the 340i over a 320i for more reasons that just tune-ability, speed, and cost effectiveness. So please, I know making the 335i and 328i drivers feel bad is a bit vindicating, but there are ways to express your joy in your 320i without ruing the fun of others.
I feel your comment. Its nice to hear you respect how peoples perspectives differ. People are quick to put down the 320i often, and in condescending or bullying ways, so I cant help but laugh that my cheaper model is actually faster and slicker looking after a lil personal touches.

For those out there looking to experiment without big risks and breaking the bank, the 320i has the same as customizable options as the 328i if you want to do power tuning.

Until I feel like dropping more on doing this kind of build on a 340i+ value car, the 320i on full boost is good enough for me!

I mean c'mon, has anyone ever even run a FBO 320i with 100 octane (OR E85) on map 2 or 7...

Get a 328 or 320, who cares. 328i is robust and can handle at least what you throw at a 320i, maybe arguably more. But your a clown if you don't realize the 320i has beast tuning power. Relatively speaking it has better tuning potential than the 328i, because it has a larger margin of performance growth over stock figures.

And, I'm sorry but forget the Subaru comparison. Although theyre not even much different in price, its personal taste, and my car's looks (interior and exterior) outdo the subs by a long shot imo. Besides my car can totally play ball with any tuned WRX or EVO. I'm not going full insanity tubro swap rocket, but the FBO 320i can serve as a beautiful, classy, adaptive well versed sports car. Its all about striking a realistic balance for my DD, besides what else is gonna beat the mpg on this thing?? and F* a Tesla. Funny you mentioned its no "track star" but my mines been modified for a street /track balance, and my instructor at Willow springs actually picked my car from the group to demonstrate drifting. I asked him if he had any suggestions about modifying it or looking at an M car, and he said don't bother this things perfect!

OP wanted to know about 320i tuning potential. Here's my experience, hope it helps without pissing off too many stock 328/335 owners in disbelieve that a 320i can be made faster for less than the price tag of their higher models :P

PS: IF you own a better model, do these same upgrades, blast off and thank me later.

Last edited by BMWtight2me; 03-09-2017 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 12:20 AM   #160
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I feel your comment. Its nice to hear you respect how peoples perspectives differ. People are quick to put down the 320i often, and in condescending or bullying ways, so I cant help but laugh that my cheaper model is actually faster and slicker looking after a lil personal touches.

For those out there looking to experiment without big risks and breaking the bank, the 320i has the same as customizable options as the 328i if you want to do power tuning.

Until I feel like dropping more on doing this kind of build on a 340i+ value car, the 320i on full boost is good enough for me!

I mean c'mon, has anyone ever even run a FBO 320i with 100 octane (OR E85) on map 2 or 7...

Get a 328 or 320, who cares. 328i is robust and can handle at least what you throw at a 320i, maybe arguably more. But your a clown if you don't realize the 320i has beast tuning power. Relatively speaking it has better tuning potential than the 328i, because it has a larger margin of performance growth over stock figures.

And, I'm sorry but forget the Subaru comparison. Although theyre not even much different in price, its personal taste, and my car's looks (interior and exterior) outdo the subs by a long shot imo. Besides my car can totally play ball with any tuned WRX or EVO. I'm not going full insanity tubro swap rocket, but the FBO 320i can serve as a beautiful, classy, adaptive well versed sports car. Its all about striking a realistic balance for my DD, besides what else is gonna beat the mpg on this thing?? and F* a Tesla. Funny you mentioned its no "track star" but my mines been modified for a street /track balance, and my instructor at Willow springs actually picked my car from the group to demonstrate drifting. I asked him if he had any suggestions about modifying it or looking at an M car, and he said don't bother this things perfect!

OP wanted to know about 320i tuning potential. Here's my experience, hope it helps without pissing off too many stock 328/335 owners in disbelieve that a 320i can be made faster for less than the price tag of their higher models :P

PS: IF you own a better model, do these same upgrades, blast off and thank me later.

Do you have a snapshot of the dyno run numbers your cars puts out - maybe picture of the screen or a snap of the paper? How about quarter mile drag strip times?

Also, looking to see some pics of your ride. All of his talk about how beautiful it is has piqued my interest. Please share if you feel comfortable doing so!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 04:56 AM   #161
flintymutt
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d X-Drive Touring

I've got a 320i at the moment as some muppet hit the back of my 335d a few weeks back... god that engine in stock form is awful. No guts. Always flicking down the gears as soon as there's a slight incline on the motorway.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 07:11 AM   #162
tgmsocal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Rule of thumb for BMW: never buy the lowest model, never buy the base model, always add least a few packages, especially to the mid model (eg 328).

You'll regret anything less, and you will be in an "almost" BMW. If you can't afford it, be honest or buy CPO. Don't limp into a 320. Just don't.

-tgm

Edit: I would consider a barebones base model for a pure track build or similar where I was only concerned with weight and having the actual chassis. But who would do that to an F30?

Last edited by tgmsocal; 03-10-2017 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #163
newuser310
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Exactly. Just like how a fat person has a better "fitness potential" because they can lose more weight.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #164
BMWtight2me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser310 View Post
Exactly. Just like how a fat person has a better "fitness potential" because they can lose more weight.
A 335 owner and you stay posted on this n20 thread. My guess is your car is pretty stock. I bet it's slower than my 320i. Doubt it looks as nice either.

Last edited by BMWtight2me; 03-12-2017 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #165
BMWtight2me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5amurai View Post
Also, looking to see some pics of your ride. All of his talk about how beautiful it is has piqued my interest. Please share if you feel comfortable doing so!

Last edited by BMWtight2me; 03-12-2017 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
MojoRider103.50
      03-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #166
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
If u have the cash, go for 328i or better, 330i. 320i is for ppl that seek comfort rather than trill of driving.
      03-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #167
BMWtight2me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackaleyess View Post
If u have the cash, go for 328i or better, 330i. 320i is for ppl that seek comfort rather than trill of driving .
Or for those who would rather buy the the same basic platform and upgrade the tune and exhaust themselves. 328i is cool if you want BMWs warranty safe 17psi tune and twin pipes. I'd rather take the 320i and modify it to 22psi and go full bolt ons with the money saved. Its great upgrading a 328i, 335i or 340i like this as well. It's just that the 320i and 328i have basically the same tuning potential, but you can get a cheaper base starting car with the 320i.

High tune and high octane and the high compression 320i flies. I drive my 5 series when I want comfort. My 320i is quicker than an msport 535i (and a lot less comfortable lol)

This is not a black and white argument. The whole f30 line up is thrilling to drive, even the turtle 320i once you fix the psi.

If you don't have the cash, don't buy a BMW. If you've got cash, treat your BM to some fancy forged wheels and tires.

Last edited by BMWtight2me; 03-12-2017 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #168
newuser310
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Or for those who would rather buy the the same basic platform and upgrade the tune and exhaust themselves. 328i is cool if you want BMWs warranty safe 17psi tune and twin pipes. I'd rather take the 320i and modify it to 22psi and go full bolt ons with the money saved. Its great upgrading a 328i, 335i or 340i like this as well. It's just that the 320i and 328i have basically the same tuning potential, but you can get a cheaper base starting car with the 320i.

High tune and high octane and the high compression 320i flies. I drive my 5 series when I want comfort. My 320i is quicker than an msport 535i (and a lot less comfortable lol)

This is not a black and white argument. The whole f30 line up is thrilling to drive, even the turtle 320i once you fix the psi.

If you don't have the cash, don't buy a BMW. If you've got cash, treat your BM to some fancy forged wheels and tires.
The 3 series is not an ultra-performance car, who cares if your 320i is faster than a stock 335i. That's not what they were purchased for by most people. I think you mean to say "if you don't have the cash then buy a 320i"
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #169
newuser310
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
A 335 owner and you stay posted on this n20 thread. My guess is your car is pretty stock. I bet it's slower than my 320i. Doubt it looks as nice either.
I have a 328i, it's totally stock and I didn't consider the 320i because they are slow and are missing many options I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #170
BMWtight2me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser310 View Post
The 3 series is not an ultra-performance car, who cares if your 320i is faster than a stock 335i. That's not what they were purchased for by most people. I think you mean to say "if you don't have the cash then buy a 320i"
Smart buys are for the healthy, wealthy and wise. I got the car that I considered the best base value platform to tune for the perfect balanced DD. My MO: 3300lbs, coilovers /wheels for handling, opening up the turbo piping, and using a tune with custom mapping for power over 300 hp/tq as well as map settings to achieve the best fuel efficiency in the f30 fleet.

We'll see whose car is more impressive when we both pull up to at a light one of these days. Cash me outside noob310.

I know this is a joke to you. But jokes on you if my 320 looks better, drives faster, and costs less. Props to the modified 320s and 328s. Espeicailly the 320s -- those with meth kits and high octane blends know what I'm talking about. The 6cyl engines aren't the only ones that can have fun with the f30 platform.

Last edited by BMWtight2me; 03-12-2017 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #171
tgmsocal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Appreciate 1
      03-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #172
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Nice ride - definitely would make me turn my head if I saw it on my commute
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #173
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Good looking car! It's hard to believe I could have bought two of them for the same price as my car.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #174
newuser310
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Smart buys are for the healthy, wealthy and wise. I got the car that I considered the best base value platform to tune for the perfect balanced DD. My MO: 3300lbs, coilovers /wheels for handling, opening up the turbo piping, and using a tune with custom mapping for power over 300 hp/tq as well as map settings to achieve the best fuel efficiency in the f30 fleet.

We'll see whose car is more impressive when we both pull up to at a light one of these days. Cash me outside noob310.

I know this is a joke to you. But jokes on you if my 320 looks better, drives faster, and costs less. Props to the modified 320s and 328s. Espeicailly the 320s -- those with meth kits and high octane blends know what I'm talking about. The 6cyl engines aren't the only ones that can have fun with the f30 platform.
It's a 328i, I bought it to have a comfortable commuter car to get around town in that doesn't have 180hp. I could not care less if your 320i is faster than a 458 Italia - it is still a 320i.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #175
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

Quote:
can you post a video of your speedo while doing a pull? I'm just curious to see how quick it is. My mom has a 320i (stock obviously lol) and it's so damn slow so I wanna see how much the tuning helps it
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2017, 01:48 PM   #176
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 LCI View Post
can you post a video of your speedo while doing a pull? I'm just curious to see how quick it is. My mom has a 320i (stock obviously lol) and it's so damn slow so I wanna see how much the tuning helps it
The 320i has arguably as much potential as the 328i. It's basically the same engine, but detuned.

Appreciate 2