F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW SDK for Third-Party Apps Annouced
Studio RSR

07-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW SDK for Third-Party Apps Annouced

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW SDK for Third-Party Apps Annouced
COMMENTS
Name:  bmwapps.jpg
Views: 8708
Size:  148.1 KB

Third-party apps – “BMW ready”.

In 2010, the BMW Group became the first carmaker to enable comprehensive, application-based integration of the Apple iPhone into vehicles. Apps extend the range of in-car services using the smartphone, making it possible to use features such as web radio, GoogleTM Local Search or FacebookTM safely and easily in the vehicle. But that’s just the start, as the application-based concept is designed to allow the use of “external” apps, paving the way for third-party services to be integrated into BMW and MINI models. With these third-party apps, the range of functions can basically be expanded at will: updating the app or installing another compatible app simply adds new functions, without having to make any modifications to the vehicle itself.

By integrating these third-party apps, the BMW Group gives customers the option of continuing to use the preferred service providers already familiar to them when driving in their car, too. In future, this will allow the wide array of infotainment functions that BMW drivers enjoy when at home or out and about to be smoothly transferred to their vehicle.

Software Development Kit for third-party apps.

In order to ensure optimum integration of third-party applications into the vehicle, the BMW Group offers providers a special Software Development Kit (SDK). The SDK contains guidelines and specific tools that are intended to help the third-party providers develop compatible, vehicle-adapted versions of their apps. Following an approval process, the applications are certified by the BMW Group for MINI Connected, BMW Apps or Rolls-Royce Connect and made available to load on the smartphone.

The prerequisite for all apps is that they meet the requirements for distraction-free operation. The SDK consists of the framework as well as the necessary development tools (e.g. a simulation of the iDrive control logic in the vehicle [HMI]). The framework seamlessly integrates the apps into the display and control concept, thereby allowing them to be operated using the iDrive Controller and the steering wheel buttons. The app is also able to use the audio system and process vehicle data. Deeply embedding the app in the BMW display and control concept in this way forms the basis for optimum usability during the journey.

BMW Apps go Android/Expanding to include Android.

From July 2013, smartphones powered by Android platform will also be able to benefit from application-based integration. With a market share of more than 50 per cent, Android has become the most prevalent smartphone operating system. The BMW Group is therefore vigorously driving forward development in this area. By extending application-based smartphone integration to Android users as well, BMW now covers the bulk of the smartphone market and is opening up BMW apps to an even wider community.

The first concrete results are currently taking shape. The BMW Group specifically chose Samsung as its pilot partner for Android integration. The company is the world market leader across all mobile phone segments, including Android powered smartphones, making it an obvious choice for the BMW Group to join forces with Samsung for the launch of the app-based integration of Android. Android integration will be gradually rolled out to include further manufacturers. The BMW Group is once more highlighting its leadership claim for in-car smartphone integration.

Leading the way for many years.

Opening up the platform for apps from other providers once again underlines the leading role played by the BMW Group when it comes to integrating mobile devices and internet-based services into the vehicle. The BMW Group became the first carmaker to enable integration of the Apple iPod into its vehicles’ audio systems back in 2004. And in 2007, the BMW Group gave an exclusive presentation of the first technology for integrating the iPhone into its in-car infotainment system in time for the phone’s launch.

BMW Third-Party Apps

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

sooo is the SDK a free download? Would be cool to check it out!
      07-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 JKU Wrangler

Garage List
About time they are going to work with Android. Its so annoying my Galaxy Nexus doesnt work with my car that has BMW apps. Hopefully they will push out and Android app so I can use them.

Also I dont understand what took so long, Android is the fastest growing smart phone OS in the world with over 50% market share.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 03:25 AM   #4
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Sirk View Post
Also I dont understand what took so long
+1

Seems to me they seriously took their time in order to get this done.. and what's more, the time they still need to actually do it...

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

I assume this is totally independent of the new iDrive HW/SW.

Also, is July 2013 a typo?
Announce SDK but first products not coming for a year!

Seems the least they can do is release MyBMW remote for Android as this is not for in-car usage and just needs and interface to the Assist connection and not the iDrive.

2012 F30 335i 6MT - Imperial Blue w/Everest Gray: Sport, Adaptive M, Premium, Tech & Parking Pkgs, Assist, Apps
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yea that need to get on it at least releasing some of the apps.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
emglie
Rep
Drives: hehe

It's good they finally did this, but why did it have to take so long for them to discover that some people actually use Android?
      07-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
cjacoby78
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
sooo is the SDK a free download? Would be cool to check it out!
Unfortunately not!

I contacted BMW via the official press-release contact and got a reply yesterday saying that only projects interesting to BMW will be eligible to get access to the SDK - there is no website at the moment where you can register, but you have to contact them on an individual basis.

Cheers,
CJ
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thats such garbage ... if the SDK was open we could send it over to XDA Forums and have the guys over there push something out for us in the mean time.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
Babycu12
Registered
Romania
Rep
Drives: bmw f13

Sdk i think is only the new Connected Drive!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #11
cjacoby78
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babycu12 View Post
Sdk i think is only the new Connected Drive!
No, it's not.

From the reply of the BMW Group:
It is compatible with option MINI Connected (6NM) and BMW Apps (6NR) since market launch in 2010/2011.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
ECBMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Metallic Grey M Sport

Is there an SDK available for the Windows platform (.Net)?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #13
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by emglie View Post
It's good they finally did this, but why did it have to take so long for them to discover that some people actually use Android?
It will not have been an oversight.

BMW will have prioritised their development resources on iPhone based on solid market research.

Perhaps iPhone owners are a significantly large subset of BMW owners?

Development for Android is made more complicated by the fact that there are large numbers of older versions still in the wild and a great variety of handsets.

Android owners spend less money on apps and use the Internet less. Make of that what you will.

What size of cradle would you use for Android phones?

I'm not saying iPhones are better than Android phones - different would be a better distinction. However, a low number of iOS versions in the wild, with a small variety of handsets together with an enormous user base makes this an attractive proposition for development.

I think if I was head of iDrive integration development, I too would have prioritised iOS compatibility. What do you think?
      11-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
MikeK5
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3

I hope the best for the SDK but coming from an mobile SDK background it's risky for them. Apps will be extremely expensive ($100+ likely) and provide less features and less functionality than a more widely used devices like phones and tablets. What would be nice is if BMW had a section of their dash that let you mount your own device in it for apps and entertainment.
Appreciate 0