F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Clear bra question
Studio RSR

10-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #23
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

where are you located?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #24
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1339 View Post
So I'm contemplating getting a clear bra installed over my white M-Sport bumper. But it's very expensive and I'm still not convinced. I've looked it up and it looks like they pre-cut the film with a laser according to a template, and then install it in place. But because of the nature of the beast the edge of the protection film ends up about 1/16'' from the edge of the paint. I feel like this line is going to be visible and attract a lot of dirt making it even more visible, especially on a white car...

Has anyone done clear bra and can comment on this?
If you are that concerned about the lines then get the full hood and fender. There is no line to see. I just had the "full package" clear bra installed on mine not because of the lines but on my e92 I had rocks hit the extended 24" hood section of the clear bra then bounce onto the unprotected area of the hood to chip the paint. Yes, you do have to put out some $$$$$$$$ for full fender and hood coverage.

F30 328i M-Sport (current), F30 328i Luxury (retired), E92 335i Sports ( retired), E30 325 ( retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #25
ft1339
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
where are you located?
Philly suburbs.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #26
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Philly suburbs.
Philly ? Valley Forge? St. David ? I love that area. Lovely this time of the year with the Fall foliage.

You really should give Raja a call. He is in Northern Virginia but it might be worth the weekend road trip to his shop. Many have used his service in the VA, DC, MD area and all appraise his outstanding work. Do a search for RAJA.

F30 328i M-Sport (current), F30 328i Luxury (retired), E92 335i Sports ( retired), E30 325 ( retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #27
ft1339
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1N54E92 View Post
Philly ? Valley Forge? St. David ? I love that area. Lovely this time of the year with the Fall foliage.

You really should give Raja a call. He is in Northern Virginia but it might be worth the weekend road trip to his shop. Many have used his service in the VA, DC, MD area and all appraise his outstanding work. Do a search for RAJA.
Yes precisely this area :-) I'll look up raja
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #28
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes precisely this area :-) I'll look up raja
If you are going to make the trip on I-95 South, make sure you cover up your car with something to protect it while you are in transit or drive like early in the morning (4-5 AM) and keep your distance from the cars or trucks in front of you. As a temporary solution, some have used "blue" painter's tape (multiple layers) to protect the front .

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #29
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Just had my AW clear bra'd with Suntek. Can't even tell unless your 10 inches away.

It's all about who installs it.. Most of the films these days are very nice.
2017 Alpina B6
22 Ram Trx / 22 M5 CS
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #30
ft1339
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1N54E92 View Post
If you are going to make the trip on I-95 South, make sure you cover up your car with something to protect it while you are in transit or drive like early in the morning (4-5 AM) and keep your distance from the cars or trucks in front of you. As a temporary solution, some have used "blue" painter's tape (multiple layers) to protect the front .
Ouch... Maybe I'll get a black bra Don't feel like spending 50 rolls and 3 days wrapping the car with tape
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #31
sparc
plug
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Nice... LOL you went to some fancy car photo studio? I see you're into photography... That makes 2 of us. Your car looks sick (well just like mine). What brand of bra did you use and how much did you pay? If the bra was precut then how could they tuck it in the grill and other openings? I thought pre-cut was stopping short of any opening. Looks like they went the extra mile, of course you're on the west coast so I'm not about to find a good installer here in Philadelphia.

Right now I have 2 offers, 1 from a reputable installer in the area for a 3M scotchguard bra that is reasonable and the other from a Porsche dealership for an Xpel Ultimate that is very expensive (twice as much). Not many xpel installers in the area..... They both do pre-cuts from templates.

I would be tempted to go with the 3M but my car is white and I'm concerned about yellowing and even the installer concedes that this can happen although there is a 5 year warranty against yellowing on material and labor....

Don't know what to do.....
Thanks. Photography is a fun hobby for me and I make a little pocket cash from it.

3M Ventureshield was used. I don't recommend it on a white car. Depending on the kelvin temp of the light source and viewing angle it makes the white a little more(very little) creamy in hue. Again not really noticeable but some people have an eye for the slightest color shifts, etc.

Pricing with the clear bra also included my windows tint. All windows tinted plus moon roof but minus the windsheld with 30% ceramic. pre-cut clear bra and custom hood job, it ran me around $1250. Not cheap but the guy I go to does excellent work and I have always brought my cars to him for tinting/bra.

If you don't mind the the slightest change in color and saving $ go w/3m. If I were to do it again I would try Xpel.

My installer will do paint touch up before he applies the clear-bra if needed so I leave Dr Colorchip in the trunk for him to use. I would recommend getting a paint correction kit just in case
      10-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #32
ft1339
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparc View Post
Thanks. Photography is a fun hobby for me and I make a little pocket cash from it.

3M Ventureshield was used. I don't recommend it on a white car. Depending on the kelvin temp of the light source and viewing angle it makes the white a little more(very little) creamy in hue. Again not really noticeable but some people have an eye for the slightest color shifts, etc.

Pricing with the clear bra also included my windows tint. All windows tinted plus moon roof but minus the windsheld with 30% ceramic. pre-cut clear bra and custom hood job, it ran me around $1250. Not cheap but the guy I go to does excellent work and I have always brought my cars to him for tinting/bra.

If you don't mind the the slightest change in color and saving $ go w/3m. If I were to do it again I would try Xpel.

My installer will do paint touch up before he applies the clear-bra if needed so I leave Dr Colorchip in the trunk for him to use. I would recommend getting a paint correction kit just in case
Sounds good. I actually went to see an xpel installer working for an exotics dealership and the guy appears to have a good rep, yet I wasn't blown away. Even with xpel templates, things were not a perfect fit. There is a gap that is slightly uneven at the panel edges and other areas that made me cringe a little. He says he can do an oversize template to wrap the film around the edges, yet I don't know why he wasn't doing that to the car he was currently working on. Made me a little suspicious. Also even with the template, he had to stretch the film and cut the excess on the car because the templates are not 100% perfect and require stretching/cutting to fit. So overall I think my expectations are set too high for this clear bra thing, but they are also commensurate with the price... For more than you paid I was quoted front bumper with partial hood and fenders... That's all. Ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #33
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Mine, wrapped around the edges, even without cutting into the paint (Called to confirm they popped things out if possible, or lifted and cut it and wrapped the edges) for full hood, bumper, fenders and mirrors (the major spots) was $1800. Worth it. Think about having to get a bumper sanded/primed/painted just to get it chipped up again, I'd rather have the clear film and pay a pretty penny to keep it perfect
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #34
ft1339
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
Mine, wrapped around the edges, even without cutting into the paint (Called to confirm they popped things out if possible, or lifted and cut it and wrapped the edges) for full hood, bumper, fenders and mirrors (the major spots) was $1800. Worth it. Think about having to get a bumper sanded/primed/painted just to get it chipped up again, I'd rather have the clear film and pay a pretty penny to keep it perfect
Who did the job?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #35
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi M Sport

Garage List
I've done the full front with Xpel Ultimate.

It's been 5 months and I'm pretty happy with it. At first the edges of the bumper film was peeling off after 3-4 weeks of the installation but the installer replaced it for free.

It's not visible at all. nobody knows I have clearbar installed unless I tell them so...some people still dont believe it and I had to ask them to rub the film covered area and uncovered area to feel the difference.

I've also opti-coated the film, it makes car cleaning a breeze. I have a small bottle of watered down ONR in the trunk and I use it to remove the dead bugs and bird poop.

btw the xpel comes with 7 years of warranty. if the film yellows, or peels off by itself, you can replace it at any xpel installer at no cost. =]

I'd say go for it if you have that extra money. It really gives you a lot of peace of mind when driving on the highway.
I'm also thinking about getting the rear bumper covered as well...and may be the doors, man city parking makes me so stressful.

Appreciate 0