F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Morel speakers: would they work with HK amp?
Studio RSR

03-22-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
sweet coffee
Rep
Drives: 340i M Performance MPPSK

Morel speakers: would they work with HK amp?

I would like to upgrade the sound in my F31 equipped with Harman Kardon. There are two options:

1 - Take out original front mids & tweeters and replace them with Morel Hybrid 402 (4ohm 89db) + MT230 tweeter (6ohm 93db)
Would the morels play well off the OEM HK amp? Is the 6ohm factor of the tweeter a problem?

If the front plays well I would then add a sub in the trunk with technic's harness.

2 - If the sound of the Morel's is not satisfactory I would have to Code the car to Hifi.

Has anyone tried to play Morel or other quality speakers on the HK amp? Apparently Eton is swapped in series 2 ith HK systems.

(bavsound not an option as they no longer ship internationally)

Thanx
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

The Morels are the best hands-down. They are not plug and play though and you will need custom speakers adapters to mount them. The tweeters are also extremely sensitive (93db) and you will need to use an amp with a very low noise floor (no idea about HK amp) so you do not hear excessive noise.
Also note that the HK in the 2 series is very different (and worse) than the one in the 3 series and above, so you can't really compare these systems directly.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
Kevin @ Integral Audio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i | Z3 2.8 | F30 328

If you are looking for decent sound, you are probably going to be disappointed by simply trying to swap in speakers without taking additional steps. Unless you re-code to HiFi (or install a MOST converter) this is the signal you'll be feeding to your new speakers (red line=harman/kardon electrical output to combined midrange/tweeter):

View post on imgur.com

As you can see, the midrange high pass crossover is electronic and in the HK amp. The midrange/tweeter share an amp channel. The high-pass for the tweeter is a simple capacitor that is on the tweeter wiring, which a) you'll lose when you swap in the new tweeter, and b) wouldn't be correct for the new tweeter anyway. You'll have to use the Morel Crossover that comes with that set, complicating your installation, and nothing you do without recoding to HiFi is going to get you a flat input signal. And if you do recode to HiFi, then you'll need an amplifier and will have to deal with the wiring from the back of the HU (there is no analog audio out wiring in the HK vehicles.

www.integralaudio.com
Appreciate 1