F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 - 328i - N20 - Melted piston
ARMA SPEED

11-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #23
marcoac14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
Of course you dont have to prove shit, but it would help your credibility if you would/could instead of just saying "i dont think so". And now you gave your explanation to why you think that and thats great, so chill.
The explanation I gave sounds obvious IMHO. That's why I didn't give any explanation at first.

But I may be wrong.

I'm still wondering what caused the issue. I mean the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 04:01 AM   #24
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoac14 View Post
The explanation I gave sounds obvious IMHO. That's why I didn't give any explanation at first.

But I may be wrong.

I'm still wondering what caused the issue. I mean the root cause.
And thats why I even ask the question, cause it MAY have something to do with it. Stranger things have happened..

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 04:07 AM   #25
Darkfiber
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Here in Belgium, if your car is dealer maintained, and you have stuff break outside warranty, they will cover some of the cost, usually the parts and you just pay for work hours...

But you obviously can't mess with the car, like lowering and tuning it will void any warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #26
Mansory 21
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 550XI F10 2011

I have read about the camshaft issue. And the car was in the dealer before, for brakepads change. and i put them to make all the recalls possible. For my VIN number there was no camshaft recall, although i mention it to the service advisor.

So, i guess the car was not in that lot.

For the moment we are in the same stage, trying to make bmw to accept somekind of support of the repair.

I will keep you posted.

Anyway, after the repair, the car will be sold. I miss my Porsche
Gone:BMW F10 2013 528i - stock
Gone:Porsche Cayenne S 2008, 957, 4.8i , Meteor Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #27
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

we just had a 328 with the identical damage get a new engine at my dealer. little old lady drove it. blew out the oil pan, and you could see straight through the block
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 05:28 AM   #28
Mansory 21
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 550XI F10 2011

We had no luck with BMW to support us with the repair. Because it was out of warranty and the Injen intake fitted.

Also, off the record, the BMW mechanics, told us that the damage was from the oil pump wich it seems that it had some issues and could not provide correct lubrication.

This is unofficially, so we cannot use this as argument.

The final solution is to repair the engine, or change it with another from a rear damaged car.

Don't know yet.
Gone:BMW F10 2013 528i - stock
Gone:Porsche Cayenne S 2008, 957, 4.8i , Meteor Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #29
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
This really sucks.

First I don't see how an intake can cause this damage.

2nd why is the warranty so varied throughout the world? 2 years for a premium car is frankly quite ridiculous. I tend to keep my cars for about 4-5 years and big bills or problems usually rear its head at around 3 years.

In Australia we used to have 2 year warranty which is now 3 years.

Does Bmw not produce the exact same product across the globe? Why then should one country get 2 vs 4 year warranty? IMHO it's just money grabbing. Just because the "norm" there is 2 years doesn't mean it's right. They use that to get away with what they can. I doubt Americans would accept or put up with 2 year warranty.

I would consider your car low mileage still and appears to be well maintained and not abused. Don't they have to prove that the intake caused the issue or at least beyond reasonable doubt?

I wonder if apple could offer varying warranties with their products. Say 6 months here and 12 months there.

I've had repairs out of warranty covered by Bmw. It's all on a case by case basis and I would have hoped they at least cover parts or some goodwill in this case.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #30
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
This really sucks.

First I don't see how an intake can cause this damage.

2nd why is the warranty so varied throughout the world? 2 years for a premium car is frankly quite ridiculous. I tend to keep my cars for about 4-5 years and big bills or problems usually rear its head at around 3 years.

In Australia we used to have 2 year warranty which is now 3 years.

Does Bmw not produce the exact same product across the globe? Why then should one country get 2 vs 4 year warranty? IMHO it's just money grabbing. Just because the "norm" there is 2 years doesn't mean it's right. They use that to get away with what they can. I doubt Americans would accept or put up with 2 year warranty.

I would consider your car low mileage still and appears to be well maintained and not abused. Don't they have to prove that the intake caused the issue or at least beyond reasonable doubt?

I wonder if apple could offer varying warranties with their products. Say 6 months here and 12 months there.

I've had repairs out of warranty covered by Bmw. It's all on a case by case basis and I would have hoped they at least cover parts or some goodwill in this case.
BMW is a global company with operating entities in many countries/regions. Each operates somewhat independently and sets their own standards and guidlines based on their locations and BMW corporate policies. It is not uncommon for certain practices (and warranties) to vary across countries.

I certainly see your point in this seems like a defect that should be addressed by the manufacturer but I'm pretty sure he knew the car had a 2 year warranty when he bought it, not much else can be said beyond that.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #31
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Bring it further up the chain, send an email to all the top execs, tell them you will raise hell online. You will get results.
      02-26-2015, 05:18 PM   #32
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Looking at the N20 schematics, there is the Purge air connection which connects to the crank shaft. It's located between the air filter and before the Turbo
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=856528
page 101 (index 9 & 10)

In theory that's the only Point how dirt could come into the cranksahft from outside the engine. (As they blame it to the OP Injen Intake)

So this dirt could cause malfunction of the engines oil supply.
When they say the oil pump is broken, what exactly do they mean by that?

Assuming that the oil pump has a physical damage, I see this as a possible reason for the problem.

Blaming the problem to be caused by the Injen Intake sounds very strange.
The purge air connection is connected upwards. Dirt pieces can't "fall" into that pipe.
As it is just a vent, there is not much vacum (there is no pressure, because it's before the Turbo)

BMW looked for an excuse not to take action/responsibility and found one.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #33
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview
Looking at the N20 schematics, there is the Purge air connection which connects to the crank shaft. It's located between the air filter and before the Turbo
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=856528
page 101 (index 9 & 10)

In theory that's the only Point how dirt could come into the cranksahft from outside the engine. (As they blame it to the OP Injen Intake)

So this dirt could cause malfunction of the engines oil supply.
When they say the oil pump is broken, what exactly do they mean by that?

Assuming that the oil pump has a physical damage, I see this as a possible reason for the problem.

Blaming the problem to be caused by the Injen Intake sounds very strange.
The purge air connection is connected upwards. Dirt pieces can't "fall" into that pipe.
As it is just a vent, there is not much vacum (there is no pressure, because it's before the Turbo)

BMW looked for an excuse not to take action/responsibility and found one.
I wouldn't be so sure.

I just removed my injen intake today because I'm giving the car to my wife, and I found a decent amount of dirt in the pipes, all the way through the intake to the turbo inlet. And I don't normally drive through dusty areas either. And yes I'm sure I sealed it all the way and properly at all points. But somehow dirt got in.

After a couple thousand miles with dirt piling up in there, it's conceivable the scenario you outlined above could happen.

Needless to say the amount dirt I found and cleaned out scared the crap out of me that I decided to sell the intake instead of moving it to the new 228i I just bought.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #34
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
I wouldn't be so sure.

I just removed my injen intake today because I'm giving the car to my wife, and I found a decent amount of dirt in the pipes, all the way through the intake to the turbo inlet. And I don't normally drive through dusty areas either. And yes I'm sure I sealed it all the way and properly at all points. But somehow dirt got in.

After a couple thousand miles with dirt piling up in there, it's conceivable the scenario you outlined above could happen.

Needless to say the amount dirt I found and cleaned out scared the crap out of me that I decided to sell the intake instead of moving it to the new 228i I just bought.
Dirt or oil residue? Oil residue is completely normal as the whole point of the that contraption is to use the vacuum generated by the intake to pull positive crankcase pressure/vapors (or blow-by) from the crankcase and recirculate it into the intake. This is mainly for emissions and causes a little bit of a mess in the intake track hence why a lot of people decide to bypass it and let the crankcase vent into the atmosphere.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #35
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboM
Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure.

Dirt or oil residue? Oil residue is completely normal as the whole point of the that contraption is to use the vacuum generated by the intake to pull positive crankcase pressure/vapors (or blow-by) from the crankcase and recirculate it into the intake. This is mainly for emissions and causes a little bit of a mess in the intake track hence why a lot of people decide to bypass it and let the crankcase vent into the atmosphere.
I'm telling you it was straight up dirt/dust. There was a tiny bit of oil, which I know from my n54 is normal. But the amount of dirt was completely scary to me. Just happy to have sold off that intake
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 11:11 AM   #36
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
I'm telling you it was straight up dirt/dust. There was a tiny bit of oil, which I know from my n54 is normal. But the amount of dirt was completely scary to me. Just happy to have sold off that intake
There should really not be such oil/dust dirt in the system. That's why air filter naturally is an important unit.
However, there is also an Oil-Filter which should filter small and large parts.

The OP mentioned that the Oil-Pump is "broken" and I wonder what that means and which parts are broken.
From the Oil-Pump the Oil first gets pumped trough the Oil.Filter, which filters normally pretty everything.
http://www.synlube.com/oilfilters.htm

So if BMW says Air Filter caused damage, there are several ways to prove this is true or not.
- Make an Oil Analysis and see how much dirt is in it
- open the oil filter and se in what condition it is
- check what caused the damaged Oil-Pump
- check if the oil can flow normally, or if some Oil channels are closed with oil sump

Unfortunatelly the OP's car is not covered in warranty anymore. Even if he could proove, that not the air filter caused tha damage, he would still need goodwill from BMW that they would pay anything.
Appreciate 0