F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 Rear Seat /Seatback removal
Extreme Powerhouse

11-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
Keith Alexander
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d X Drive M Sport

F30 Rear Seat /Seatback removal

Hi,

Anyone know how to remove the seatback, I can see the T50 Torx bolts anchorages at the base after the rear seat base has been removed but not sure about the fixings at the top edge, which I think may be accessed from the Boot/Trunk?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
If its like the E90 then there are two release on the upper portion of the trunk. You need to lay in the trunk on your back to see them.
      09-13-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
jonthon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

back seat removal 2014 f30 320i

did you get the backseat out and if so how? i cant get mine i want to put seat covers on it
thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 08:03 AM   #4
Keith Alexander
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d X Drive M Sport

Hi,

Sorry, never did get further than removing the torx bolt anchorages after removing the seat squab.
There are definitely two lugs, one set either end of the seat back that hold the upper back part of the seat in place though and they are visible from the boot if you have a snake endoscope camera that you can use. It looks like a couple of metal fingers hooked over a short metal bar about 3mm dia.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthon View Post
did you get the backseat out and if so how? i cant get mine i want to put seat covers on it
thanks
You have folding seats right?

This is what I did for my F31 to remove the seat backs (assuming bottom cushion already removed):
-Pull the side bolsters out (grab and yank near the top then rock out).
-Undo the torx bolts holding the bracket/pivot bar to the car at the bottom of the seat backs.
-Remove the mounting bracket from the pivot bar (more torx bolts).
-Unlatch the single folding seat back (passenger side seat back) via the folding mechanism release so you can manipulate the seat back.
-You'll have to play with the single folding seat back a bit to get it off of the pivot bar. I found I had to rotate the door side of it forward to get it to release.

The driver's side folding back comes out the same way, but you don't have to rotate and manipulate the seat back off of the pivot rod, so it's easier.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 11:09 PM   #6
jonthon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
You have folding seats right?

This is what I did for my F31 to remove the seat backs (assuming bottom cushion already removed):
-Pull the side bolsters out (grab and yank near the top then rock out).
-Undo the torx bolts holding the bracket/pivot bar to the car at the bottom of the seat backs.
-Remove the mounting bracket from the pivot bar (more torx bolts).
-Unlatch the single folding seat back (passenger side seat back) via the folding mechanism release so you can manipulate the seat back.
-You'll have to play with the single folding seat back a bit to get it off of the pivot bar. I found I had to rotate the door side of it forward to get it to release.

The driver's side folding back comes out the same way, but you don't have to rotate and manipulate the seat back off of the pivot rod, so it's easier.
i dont have folding seats =( but i did get it out to put the seat covers on
thanks for taking the time to help me!
Appreciate 0