F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Redbull sized can cup holders/fittings?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
2insane
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 316d, Sportline - AW/Black

Redbull sized can cup holders/fittings?

Hey,

I'm looking for some kind of cup holder or fitting to place inside of the existing cupholders of my F30.

I'm a frequent red bull drinker (pretty hooked on that stuff, i know its far from healthy but sometimes you got to live a little and its just so delicious ).
The problem is the red bull sized cans don't fit in the cup holders, or better yet, they do but they are so loose, if I have to take a turn i have to hold the can so that it doesn't move around to much and spill over.

Has anyone seen these yet?

Thanks!

Last edited by 2insane; 03-03-2014 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
mcli
_________
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6mt

Of course, the demand was predictably low - and given the sparse advertising budget seen here, it's no wonder that the site has gone tits up already. Still, you can just get a 3D printer and make one yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
2insane
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcli View Post

Of course, the demand was predictably low - and given the sparse advertising budget seen here, it's no wonder that the site has gone tits up already. Still, you can just get a 3D printer and make one yourself.
I swear not even a minute before i saw your post i was thinking "if only i had a 3D printer"... but considering what they cost i'd rather just keep looking for something that already exists ^^

Thanks though !
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

get a bigger one

03-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Go to your dealership and get the BMW thermos. Pour said drink into other container.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
anhizer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2insane View Post
I swear not even a minute before i saw your post i was thinking "if only i had a 3D printer"... but considering what they cost i'd rather just keep looking for something that already exists ^^

Thanks though !
You dont have to buy your own- If you know your way around 3d modeling you can use a service like: http://www.shapeways.com/ to print it out for you. They also seem to have some more basic services that allow you to convert a 2d image to a 3d model. not sure how it works.

At work we often use www.solidconcepts.com but they will probably require you to have a .stl file to print.

I suggest a FDM print- its the cheapest/strongest option that uses ABS material. Resolution of the print is OK but it can be improved by wiping it down with acetone, filler priming it, sanding & painting. (note: acetone will "melt" the top layer to help smooth it out). Finishing it is not necessary, but will make it look better.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #7
2insane
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ00 View Post
get a bigger one
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
Go to your dealership and get the BMW thermos. Pour said drink into other container.
Thanks for those obvious suggestions but thats not what I was asking .

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhizer View Post
You dont have to buy your own- If you know your way around 3d modeling you can use a service like: http://www.shapeways.com/ to print it out for you. They also seem to have some more basic services that allow you to convert a 2d image to a 3d model. not sure how it works.

At work we often use www.solidconcepts.com but they will probably require you to have a .stl file to print.

I suggest a FDM print- its the cheapest/strongest option that uses ABS material. Resolution of the print is OK but it can be improved by wiping it down with acetone, filler priming it, sanding & painting. (note: acetone will "melt" the top layer to help smooth it out). Finishing it is not necessary, but will make it look better.
I had thought of looking up a 3D printing service, i guess i could give that a try .
I work as a web designer and have worked in 3D before so that shouldn't be too difficult.

The only problem with these sites is that i'm from Belgium, so i'll have to check and see if they deliver to my country and if not, try to find a belgian website that offers the same services.

Thanks for your input !

EDIT: It looks like shapeways does in fact deliver to Belgium, thats a nice surprise! (its difficult to find international websites that deliver to belgium :P ).
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive ///M Sport

I'd be curious to see how much it would cost to have something like that 3D printed. Please keep us posted !
      03-05-2014, 01:45 AM   #9
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

I'm sure that a couple episodes of MacGuyver would provide sufficient inspiration for a workable solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #10
Uneedthis2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-sport

I've got a makerbot, I'd be willing to test-print one if someone designed it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
2insane
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Arrow

Sorry, I kind of lost track of this topic.

I ended up having one 3D printed from shapeways.com.
A buddy of myn his dad did the 3D design in a similar program to AutoCAD.

The fitment of the red bull can is perfect, couldn't be better IMO.
The fitment of the cup holder itself could have been a bit better, but granted thats our own mistake for not measuring it correctly.
The cup holder should have been more of a cone shape, with the bottom being the smaller part and the top being bigger in diameter, well, at least the outer wall anyway, the inner wall as said (for the can) is perfect.

But all in all it does stay in place good enough and when i put a can in it, it definitely stops the can from tipping over.
So let's say its a version 1.0, and if I ever have a 2.0 made, i would know what to improve, but for now i'm very pleased with it and use it practically everyday .

As for the cost, I think it was around €60 ($80 or £48), incl. shipping.
A price i don't mind for something i use almost on a daily basis .

The cost could have been less if it was designed differently of course, (example: instead of full material walls, have the walls be mesh-shaped so that it uses less material, but practice makes perfect I guess.
Also really impressed with the build quality, very strong material.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0