F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Update on steering vibration issue resolution
proTUNING Freaks

08-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #67
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

^thanks!

Anyone think it makes a difference on exhaust sounds manual or automatic?
      08-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #68
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
^thanks!

Anyone think it makes a difference on exhaust sounds manual or automatic?
The AT makes a cool burble on up shifts that is not as pronounced with MT.
With AT the engine doesn't "lift"/"close" throttle for the duration one does when driving MT. That extra throttle opening creates an "over run" and you hear a cool exhaust sound on shift.
This also happens in the VW GTI with DSG, and the 135i with DCT. MT drivers of those cars don't get that sound.

I drove the 335i with sport exhaust at the BMW drive event. The 335i had the standard AT, not sport. With the standard exhaust the over run burble is there, but if the audio is on and/or the windows are close you can easily miss or not hear the sound. With the sport exhaust the over run burble is quite a bit louder and much easier to hear, and since it's clearer it even sounds a bit longer.

But don't decide on trans choice based on exhaust sound. Get what you like as you'll be interacting with it constantly when you drive.
I'm a long time MT driver and enjoy pushing clutch pedals and moving gear levers. Yet, this time I went with the sport AT. Should be different, interesting, and I hope, FUN.

BTW, did you order "all season" tires? ZAS on your VIR/order sheet.
Your order shows the ZAS AS option.
But, I know you wanted the best summer perf tires. Why is that all season tire item there, my Msport sheet does not show this.
My Msport shows ZPT Performance summer tires, and 2PE 18"
M light alloy...w/mixed, just like yours. But nothing about all season tires.
Likely not an issue, but double check just to make sure.

The strange thing on my VIR/order is that I have the DH pkg, but under the ZDH it only shows 2VL-Variable sport steering, and nothing about M adaptive suspension.
I'm sure it's there, after all, it's the big part of the DH pkg.

Last edited by RPM90; 08-24-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #69
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The AT makes a cool burble on up shifts that is not as pronounced with MT.
With AT the engine doesn't "lift"/"close" throttle for the duration one does when driving MT. That extra throttle opening creates an "over run" and you hear a cool exhaust sound on shift.
This also happens in the VW GTI with DSG, and the 135i with DCT. MT drivers of those cars don't get that sound.

I drove the 335i with sport exhaust at the BMW drive event. The 335i had the standard AT, not sport. With the standard exhaust the over run burble is there, but if the audio is on and/or the windows are close you can easily miss or not hear the sound. With the sport exhaust the over run burble is quite a bit louder and much easier to hear, and since it's clearer it even sounds a bit longer.

But don't decide on trans choice based on exhaust sound. Get what you like as you'll be interacting with it constantly when you drive.
I'm a long time MT driver and enjoy pushing clutch pedals and moving gear levers. Yet, this time I went with the sport AT. Should be different, interesting, and I hope, FUN.

BTW, did you order "all season" tires? ZAS on your VIR/order sheet.
Your order shows the ZAS AS option.
But, I know you wanted the best summer perf tires. Why is that all season tire item there, my Msport sheet does not show this.
My Msport shows ZPT Performance summer tires, and 2PE 18"
M light alloy...w/mixed, just like yours. But nothing about all season tires.
Likely not an issue, but double check just to make sure.

The strange thing on my VIR/order is that I have the DH pkg, but under the ZDH it only shows 2VL-Variable sport steering, and nothing about M adaptive suspension.
I'm sure it's there, after all, it's the big part of the DH pkg.
Yea, i mentioned that to the sales manager yesterday and he said not to worry, they will be summer tires, if not then they can swap my tires for summer becuase no way am i taking that car with all seasons here in flroida lol. Somehow i will fins a way to get in touch with the factory and discuss tire options before production lol. thanks for looking out tho.

When you say sport exhaust, are you referring to the m performance exhaust?

And yea, i am getting the ZF8 again, its just so amazing, fastest shifts i have seen(just as fast as the dct in 135) and very fuel efficient)

Was just curious if the transmission had any effect on the exhaust.

Thanks again!