F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Rearview Mirror Retrofit
GetBMWParts

08-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
slaaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25, 991T, 986S, 997, 958

Rearview Mirror Retrofit

Has anyone done or know info for retrofitting a autodimming/Homelink mirror to an F30 that came with a manual mirror. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaaw View Post
Has anyone done or know info for retrofitting a autodimming/Homelink mirror to an F30 that came with a manual mirror. Thanks in advance.
I imagine it can be done since the dealership "accidentally" replaced my auto dimming/homelink mirror with the manual one! I got in my car and immediately thought WTF? They finally received the proper mirror for my car - just need to have it installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
antoniobb
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

reopenning this old thread,

My car also comes with the manual mirror. I bought the autodimming mirror on Ebay and bought the cable (same as E90/92 tutorial) but when openned the overhead bin, all wiring is different so I did not want to mess up things.

My harness currently has 2 wires only (alarm clown nouse), and I'd like to know if anyone knows where to connect the violet/white and the green/white cables on the overhead.

Don't point me to the E92 tutorial because it is different for the F30
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
antoniobb
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

bump... anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
boafriend
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Bumping, too.

I recently contacted a trusted German car shop in my area about possibly getting the autodimming homelink rearview mirror and side mirrors done but they contacted a dealer and was told that this is not do-able since a car with a manual mirror and non-dimming side mirrors is wired differently than a car with autodimming mirrors. I am assuming this is true given what antoniobb noted with his experience in opening up the overhead bin.

It technically is possible to retrofit this, but costs around $10,000 (dealer said that to my shop) due to a ton of wiring that has to be done. I'd also imagine any type of warranty or CPO warranty you have in place (which I do, the latter) will be void.

If anyone knows otherwise, please let me and the others in this thread know.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #6
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I did this retrofit with our 2012 E70 X5 (2nd gen). Bought the mirror off eBay and had the dealer install it for $50 or so. My SA at the time said it was no biggie. I recommend giving your SA a call and asking.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #7
boafriend
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
I did this retrofit with our 2012 E70 X5 (2nd gen). Bought the mirror off eBay and had the dealer install it for $50 or so. My SA at the time said it was no biggie. I recommend giving your SA a call and asking.
What about the side mirrors? I was reading in other threads that the wiring in regular side mirrors is different than that of those that are fitted for autodimming. Please let me know.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #8
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boafriend View Post
What about the side mirrors? I was reading in other threads that the wiring in regular side mirrors is different than that of those that are fitted for autodimming. Please let me know.

Thank you.
I didn't mess with the side mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #9
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by boafriend View Post
Bumping, too.

I recently contacted a trusted German car shop in my area about possibly getting the autodimming homelink rearview mirror and side mirrors done but they contacted a dealer and was told that this is not do-able since a car with a manual mirror and non-dimming side mirrors is wired differently than a car with autodimming mirrors. I am assuming this is true given what antoniobb noted with his experience in opening up the overhead bin.

It technically is possible to retrofit this, but costs around $10,000 (dealer said that to my shop) due to a ton of wiring that has to be done. I'd also imagine any type of warranty or CPO warranty you have in place (which I do, the latter) will be void.

If anyone knows otherwise, please let me and the others in this thread know.

Thank you.
I don't know this for a fact, but I'd assume the wiring harness is the same regardless if the car came with dimming or non-dimming mirrors.

There might be coding for the side mirrors, but I'd assume they just plug directly in. There are a lot of threads with guys showing dead plugs for features that were not populated when the car was built.

If a shop quoted me $10k (which is 25% of the US car cost?) to run a couple power wires for a mirror, I'd run screaming from their shop. Either sounds like:
a) They are trying to screw you.
b) Don't have a clue.
c) Don't want to do the work.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I don't know this for a fact, but I'd assume the wiring harness is the same regardless if the car came with dimming or non-dimming mirrors.
It's not. Go to a parts diagram and you'll find there are different harnesses for different options.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 02:27 PM   #11
Relevart
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320ix

I just did that retrofit this weekend:
2016/03 320IX
Mirror was from older 2013 F30, I think. Mine connector had two wires in plug for clown nose. I had to add two more pins into connector from harness plug, stealer charged me almost $10 for two sockets crimped to 18" of wire.
You need to put one in position 3 and another in pos 6.
#3 is for power, run wire all the way to front fuse box, fuse#42, just replace 5A fuse with 7.5A as recommended. Fishing wire through was not as problematic as I thought it will be: remove dome light assembly, A pillar covering right side, passenger side foot well side covering, and cover at the bottom of glove compartment, discovered 12V outlet there. It is tricky to remove the fuse box, just read ISTA instruction. They suggest special tool; stubby flat head screwdriver worked, just do not be too enthusiastic with it. After all it is very expensive car with a lot of cheap plastic.
#6 wire is different story: wiring schematics said it is K-LIN bus. I wasn't able to figure out it's purpose. My thoughts are it is one of those things either for diagnostics, than I do not care, or "enable" than I do. So for time being I left that wire NC laying behind covering in footwell next to front controller module, it supposed to connect to.
Net result:
1. Compass works fine.
2. Dimming mirror; it is hard to tell: I have not driven it after dark yesterday.
3. Homelink button #1 does not want to program. Other two works fine. It could be it is bad, as I got mirror on e-bay, or it can be finicky behavior of homelink.
Any way, if somebody knows what K-LIN is doing in electrochromic mirror, please let me know.

Regards, Mark
Appreciate 0