F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Review of Carly Coding Module
GetBMWParts

06-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
JimmyDee
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6-M

Review of Carly Coding Module

I know there are a few options out there, as far as coding units. I just wanted to share my experience with the Carly unit.

http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/

Originally, I had just bought the unit to clear a couple airbag fault codes (I unplugged and removed both front seats, without disconnecting the battery).

The Carly was $50 on Amazon, and arrived the same day I ordered it. The software App was another 50 bucks, and is a subscription base.

I know, some people will balk at the money, but for me, it is worth it. The dealer was going to charge me $120 to clear the fault codes, which is a ripoff bacause it can be done in 10 minutes, but they insisted on charging for an hour labor. To add to this, I tend to take things apart, and am fully confident that I would probably throw a few more codes in the future.

Setup was very easy. I downloaded the app, and plugged the Carly into the OBD port. It connected via Bluetooth almost instantly.

First, I cleared the fault codes. Took about 5 minutes. For me, this paid for the unit. Anything more is a bonus.

After that, I started experimenting. I recoded a few things (everything re-coded flawlessly):

First thing I changed, was to have the iDrive turn off, as soon as I open the driver's door. I just never got used to pressing the on/off button twice, and would keep getting out of the car and leaving the stereo on... so annoying. This option alone was also worth the price of the unit for me.

Then I coded the mirrors to fold/unfold when the car is locked/unlocked. Never could figure out why this isn't a standard option on an $80K vehicle.

Then I coded the windows to roll-up / roll-down by holding the remote lock / unlock buttons.

Then I coded the door locks to unlock as soon as I turn off the vehicle. As with start button, I could never get used to pulling the door handle twice to unlock and open the door.

These few changes have made the car perfect. The coding was super simple, and as mentioned above, worked flawlessly.

The Carly was worth every penny for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 11:05 PM   #2
MrChang
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport MG 2014

I have only used the carly to read fault codes and other readable data. I dont dare to use it when it comes to code and write data as it often looses the wireless connection for me.

What happens if connection is lost during a coding operation?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 03:17 AM   #3
ajrulez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 328i

Set up a back up first. Register for Carly account. Any issues then restore it.

I did experiment a lot but when it acted crazy when trying to code the function which is not available it will mess up your system. So think twice and act wise

Connection won't lost in a BLE model at least on Android.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 06:15 AM   #4
MrChang
Private
Rep

I have an iphone, good to hear connection in android is stable.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
vooonoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rep
Drives: f30 328

Garage List
2014 f30 328i  [0.00]
I suggest you turn off your cellular signal so you don't get a phone call or text while coding as that can cause you to lose connection
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #6
didisinned
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i

I've been using it for a week now and while the coding works well I can't say the money spend has been worth it. Carly OBD2 is around $82 on amazon, and the app is $60 now and has an automatic annual subscription of $60, if you don't continue paying the subscription it cripples the app. It's pretty sleezy business practice to take advantage of customers like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #7
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

I agree, if you are a new user.
I have carly for a while and dont have to pay anually.
For this reason, its ideal and the options are great but the subscription requirement makes all the difference..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #8
JimmyDee
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by didisinned View Post
I've been using it for a week now and while the coding works well I can't say the money spend has been worth it. Carly OBD2 is around $82 on amazon, and the app is $60 now and has an automatic annual subscription of $60, if you don't continue paying the subscription it cripples the app. It's pretty sleezy business practice to take advantage of customers like that.
I'm not too excited about the annual subscription... but I would say that it's only 'sleazy' if they surprised us with this, after the fact.

Everyone knows, before buying the App, that there is a recurring annual charge... and we still go ahead and buy the App, then complain about it afterward.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
MrChang
Private
Rep

Thanks you reminded me about the automatic annual subscription, it is now canceled.

For me the cost of Carly was still worth it as I used the fault codes result to get BMW to repair the car because first time they say nothing wrong with it. It was a bad engine cable harness causing misfire to a cylinder (BMW 118i LCI).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 03:04 AM   #10
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Carly and Bimmercode have their place and I can see the ease of use but I've heard many horror stories where ECU's have been corrupted to put me off using it.

Esys and an enet cable can be used for a fraction of the cost.
      07-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #11
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Yep - Carly fried my FRM module in my E90.
Appreciate 0