F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Passenger & Driver Airbag & Restraint System Malfunction
GetBMWParts

04-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
ah3nyc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340 M-sport xdrive

Passenger & Driver Airbag & Restraint System Malfunction

For the past two months I had error messages stating selt belts and airbags are malfunctioning for both driver and passenger. The dealer has had the car for over two weeks and can't seem to pin point the problem. Any options that I can do? Advice? my car is a 2013 Active-hybrid 3. thanks again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

UHHH this is EXACTLY what my AH3 got lemon lawed over. I even have a NHTSA complaint for this .
      04-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

Here was my thread chronicling my adventure:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926814

Long story short, same issue you're seeing (simultaneous airbag and seat belt fault lights + iDrive messages).

Fault scan showed that the ACSM (Active Crash Safety Module) thinks that battery safety terminal wiring is incorrect.

First attempt to repair, PUMA case opened, BMW replaced a wiring harness that appeared perfectly fine. Took two weeks for the part to arrive.

The car was given back to me, and I complained (as an EE with automotive industry experience) that the fix makes no sense, it just sounds like they re-ran perfectly good wiring.

Surely enough , two weeks later, fault came back. And this time I filed a NHTSA complaint and pushed back more aggressively. BMW instructed the dealership to replace the entire ACSM and this took over 2 weeks for the part to arrive. At this point, it was well over the 30 cumulative days criteria for the CA lemon law.

My NHTSA complaint was #10561357. Are you complaint #10568756?

In the end, it seemed like BMW had no clue what was wrong with the car, and was just grasping at straws to replace random parts until the problem went away. I had no confidence in the fix, and driving a car with a sketchy airbag/crash sensor module was simply unacceptable for the price I'm paying for a "ultimate driving machine".