F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinan N55 Intake / Stage 2 Software Launch.
GetBMWParts

05-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #111
Earthmaster
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 Austin Yellow

Guys this is a Dinan Sponsored thread. Theres no way Dinan is going to say their products don't make power or other products necessarily make more power than Dinan products.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #112
arwin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmaster View Post
Guys this is a Dinan Sponsored thread. Theres no way Dinan is going to say their products don't make power or other products necessarily make more power than Dinan products.
Not necessarily. He did mention that the MPE would suffice to use with the stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #113
Earthmaster
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 Austin Yellow

Uhh... that doesn't disprove my point? I specifically said power metrics... If he said MPE >dinan exhuast I will recant my statement but he didnt.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 03:47 PM   #114
arwin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anybody have a video clip of the Dinan CAI yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #115
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydim View Post
$700.
That isn't extreme. My friend looked at an HKS intake for his Evo and it was $700 USD.

Is the filter oiled or dry? I'd also like a sound clip if anybody has one.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #116
Revms1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Had stage 2 with the intake done last week and you really don't hear it much. It made my Dinan exhaust slightly louder and burbles more but the car feels great and pulls very nicely than stage 1
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #117
DG335
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revms1 View Post
Had stage 2 with the intake done last week and you really don't hear it much. It made my Dinan exhaust slightly louder and burbles more but the car feels great and pulls very nicely than stage 1
Thinking about going with the stage 2 in a couple weeks when my car goes in for regular service. Honestly is it worth the few g's? As my daily driver I'm not expecting a racecar, just have gotten used to the MPPK and want to liven it up without risking a fuss with my dealer (i.e. going bms/JB4 etc)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #118
Revms1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG335 View Post
Thinking about going with the stage 2 in a couple weeks when my car goes in for regular service. Honestly is it worth the few g's? As my daily driver I'm not expecting a racecar, just have gotten used to the MPPK and want to liven it up without risking a fuss with my dealer (i.e. going bms/JB4 etc)
I went with Dinan cause I bought my 335 and didn't want the hassle of the car not being warrantied due to mods. I really like the way the car wakes up with stage 2 and power delivery is very smooth. There's no choppiness with the throttle response at all. Car pulls strong and I'm enjoying it so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #119
arwin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Does the stage 2 affect the sound of the exhaust in anyway?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #120
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep

Placing my order for the Dinan intake this weekend. Just wanted to confirm though, is the filter oiled or dry? Can I reuse this one?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #121
Fat Panda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 435i xDrive M Sport

Got my intake today, only to find that the connections. For the fuel vent and MAF are installed 180 degrees apart.

Can't get a hold of the dealer where I bought it from as well as Dinan's tech support/warranty department...

My shitty luck. I hope I can get a new one fast and not wait 5-6 weeks due to their backorder.

[update]
I contacted Dinan as well as the authorized Dinan dealer where I bought the intake from. A replacement upper housing cover is being shipped out express. I can't wait to get this baby installed!
Attached Images

2014 BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport "Elphie" | Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Interior | M Performance Package I | Premium Package | ConnectedDrive | bootmod3 OTS Stage 1 93 Octane Tune | M Performance Exhaust | M Performance Stainless Steel Pedal Covers | Dinan Performance Spring Set | Dinan Supplemental Ride Quality | Precision Raceworks N55 Ignition Kit

Last edited by Fat Panda; 05-26-2015 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #122
Revms1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwin View Post
Does the stage 2 affect the sound of the exhaust in anyway?
The exhaust is slightly louder and burbles a lot more!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #123
DG335
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revms1 View Post
I went with Dinan cause I bought my 335 and didn't want the hassle of the car not being warrantied due to mods. I really like the way the car wakes up with stage 2 and power delivery is very smooth. There's no choppiness with the throttle response at all. Car pulls strong and I'm enjoying it so far.
Great, good to know! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #124
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Got my intake today, only to find that the connections. For the fuel vent and MAF are installed 180 degrees apart.

Can't get a hold of the dealer where I bought it from as well as Dinan's tech support/warranty department...

My shitty luck. I hope I can get a new one fast and not wait 5-6 weeks due to their backorder.

[update]
I contacted Dinan as well as the authorized Dinan dealer where I bought the intake from. A replacement upper housing cover is being shipped out express. I can't wait to get this baby installed!
Lol, how'd that happen!?

Anyways, is the filter oiled?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #125
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:

[update]
Sounds like a bit of bad luck.
Dinan claim that piping between aiirbox and turbo is larger and smoother. Now you have sight of both OEM and corresponding dinan parts care to comment on Dinan's claims ?

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 11:11 AM   #126
Fat Panda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Sounds like a bit of bad luck.
Dinan claim that piping between aiirbox and turbo is larger and smoother. Now you have sight of both OEM and corresponding dinan parts care to comment on Dinan's claims ?
It appears that the Dinan pipe is more round compared to the BMW duct. The BMW was flatter. Also the cone intake seems to have more surface area hence more air can get sucked in. Flow wise, it's hard to say.
2014 BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport "Elphie" | Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Interior | M Performance Package I | Premium Package | ConnectedDrive | bootmod3 OTS Stage 1 93 Octane Tune | M Performance Exhaust | M Performance Stainless Steel Pedal Covers | Dinan Performance Spring Set | Dinan Supplemental Ride Quality | Precision Raceworks N55 Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 02:36 AM   #127
Willabee
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
An upgraded intake from stock/mppk is required for stage 2. An upgraded exhaust is recommended but not required.

Could stage 2 be programmed physically on a stock car? Yes. But without the supporting mods the warranty would be in jeopardy. If we were speaking in terms of competitor products it would be in the same vein of running a catless downpipe/high octane map on a vehicle with a stock downpipe and 91 octane fuel. Obviously this is an extreme comparison but you get the point.
So in theory, a BMS intake would work well with the Dinan stage 2 tune? If so, would the warranty still hold?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #128
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willabee View Post
So in theory, a BMS intake would work well with the Dinan stage 2 tune? If so, would the warranty still hold?
The tune would "work" with any aftermarket intake although the tune was designed around the Dinan intake so the quoted power gains will most likely vary with a different brand.

In regards to warranty, the tune warranty remains but you would be opening yourself up to a warranty loophole by using another vendors product. If the problem can be routed back to the intake (or whatever other aftermarket product that is on the vehicle) that is not OE or Dinan the warranty would not apply. We do not warrant other vendors products after all.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #129
Fat Panda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Maybe Dinan can correct me not this, but I don't believe the filter is an oiled filter. Not sure if it's washable either.

update on my upper airbox status.

Dinan sent out a replacement yesterday, and my dealer should be receiving it today. It was sent next day delivery. I would say it's great customer service on their part in correcting the situation. Everyone makes mistakes, I just happen to be the unlucky one that got it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #130
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Maybe Dinan can correct me not this, but I don't believe the filter is an oiled filter. Not sure if it's washable either.

update on my upper airbox status.

Dinan sent out a replacement yesterday, and my dealer should be receiving it today. It was sent next day delivery. I would say it's great customer service on their part in correcting the situation. Everyone makes mistakes, I just happen to be the unlucky one that got it.
Filter is an oiled K&N type of filter. While it can be washed, re-oiled, and re-used we recommend just replacing the filter when it is needed instead. There is a tendency to over-oil filters which will cause problems with the sensors. The sensors on these cars are overly sensitive as is so its simply easier to just replace them as far as we are concerned. You are welcome to go either route however.

Sorry again about the random assembly faux pax, getting a replacement piece overnighted was the least we could do. Hopefully you get your car back this afternoon so you can enjoy it a bit and post your initial impressions tonight.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #131
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i XD Alpine white

DINAN ENGINEERING: Can you post a video of the intake?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #132
Fat Panda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Filter is an oiled K&N type of filter. While it can be washed, re-oiled, and re-used we recommend just replacing the filter when it is needed instead. There is a tendency to over-oil filters which will cause problems with the sensors. The sensors on these cars are overly sensitive as is so its simply easier to just replace them as far as we are concerned. You are welcome to go either route however.

Sorry again about the random assembly faux pax, getting a replacement piece overnighted was the least we could do. Hopefully you get your car back this afternoon so you can enjoy it a bit and post your initial impressions tonight.
The filter didn't seem oiled, maybe the coating if very very light. When it comes time, I'll probably buy another one and just alternate the filters and do the process of re-oiling very carefully and delicately.

I probably won't pick it up today as I am heading out of town for the night. Will pick it up tomorrow and post a review.
Appreciate 0