F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position
Studio RSR

09-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #23
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude987
The Tire Rack gave the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position rave reviews in their write up. The positive reviews swayed me to pay a premium price for what I thought was premium tires. Needless to say, I was very disappointed with real life performance. Tire Rack write up reviews have a credibility problem. It seems their reviews are biased and skewed toward making a quick buck and does not reflect real life tire performance.

I will go so far as to say the Potenza RE970AS Pole Position is crap. If anyone is thinking about buying this tire, I would definitely not recommend it. At the end of the day, I feel cheated out of paying permium dollars for crap tires.

Tire Rack need to reconsider their marketing reviews. I would be very skeptical of any reviews from the Tire Rack.

I'm actually a bit peeved that I now have to live with these crap tires for 40,000 miles in an effort to recoup some of my hard earned dollars.
I agree to some extent but will say that the pilot A/S 3 has received positive reviews from many different outlets. Very true that I would not rely only on tire rack "tests". I do trust their customer surveys but more so for the ones with a lot of miles (which means a lot of reviews to wash out any anomalies).

My guess is that its winter performance will only be as good as their pilot "plus" tires since michelins marketing material doesn't really say it is improved in that respect. It rated them the same as the "plus" tires for winter performance.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #24
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

How about going square setup with these tires(MPS A/S 3)? 225/45R18? With 18x8 rims.
These should have more traction than the OEM Pirelli A/S RFTs, right? Other option would be to put the 255/40 in the rears with 18x9.5 rims. Can't decide whether to go square or staggered. I'm tired of my current tires losing grip under a heavy foot.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #25
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
I'm looking to buy the pilot a/s 3 as well but there haven't been any snow/winter testing yet. That's the only unknown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Yep, I'm standing by on that one too...
So far, so good with the MPS A/S 3s... Dry road traction is great (even on very cold pavement), and the other night we got a bit of snow and slush, and I literally could not get the traction control light to come on even doing a bunch of brake checks, and getting on the gas a bit mid-corner.