F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Damaged...
Studio RSR

12-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
Flakmunky
Amateur Brain Surgeon & Olympic Knitting Champion
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E85, E92, F31, G31

Damaged...

So a plonker from work reversed in to my car a couple of weeks ago... New bumper required. Estimate was £1200, final bill (excluding hire car) was £2160...

So they were only a grand out on huge estimate. How can they be so far out on an estimate?!

The only things that weren't on the original estimate was blowing in the new bumper and also checking the parking sensor and reprogramming.

Anyway, when I went and picked up my car my Ray Bans had disappeared... Fortunately everyone in the body shop had seen them and the had been inventoried so they are going to replace them... The manager promised me he would get back to me but guess what? Yep, I had to get back to him...

Rant over. Thanks for persevering if you got this far!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
That's terrible about the car and shocking about the Raybans mate.

Some dirty beggars out there!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
ben_e71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3

that's a shame ....

I always empty my cars when they go in for any work.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
£1200 sounds about right for new bumper and paint. £2160 sounds like the body shop is taking the mickey!

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 03:53 AM   #5
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Was it through insurance? That's annoying if you or your colleague were paying the bill yourself.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #6
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Seems to be a bit much over the original quote, "reprogramming the parking sensor" sounds like something to inflate the invoice with (then nicking your ray bans!). I take it your work colleague is paying anyway, at least you got it fixed relatively quickly. We recently had to get our new VW repaired after a tractor hit the front wing, we used Nationwide and the quote to replace the wing and front headlamp unit was exact.
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 04:28 AM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakmunky View Post
So a plonker from work reversed in to my car a couple of weeks ago... New bumper required. Estimate was £1200, final bill (excluding hire car) was £2160...

So they were only a grand out on huge estimate. How can they be so far out on an estimate?!

The only things that weren't on the original estimate was blowing in the new bumper and also checking the parking sensor and reprogramming.

Anyway, when I went and picked up my car my Ray Bans had disappeared... Fortunately everyone in the body shop had seen them and the had been inventoried so they are going to replace them... The manager promised me he would get back to me but guess what? Yep, I had to get back to him...

Did you take the car to a BMW approved bodyshop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4springer View Post
Seems to be a bit much over the original quote, "reprogramming the parking sensor" sounds like something to inflate the invoice with (then nicking your ray bans!). I take it your work colleague is paying anyway, at least you got it fixed relatively quickly. We recently had to get our new VW repaired after a tractor hit the front wing, we used Nationwide and the quote to replace the wing and front headlamp unit was exact.
I once got a car repaired at a Nationwide bodyshop, and they were crap! Ended up having to take the car to main dealer bodyshop! This is when i learnt to always use the main dealer bodyshop!

Why did you not go to VW approved bodyshop?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

BMW approved bodyshop, don't think that really means anything. I'm having a mere of a time with my vehicle at the moment, with a BMW approved bodyshop. Was involved in an accident end of September, still waiting for the vehicle.

Service is terrible, they never call back. Been given 4 dates for completion, everytime they fix something they find something else that needs fixing, and to fix it the replacement part is on back order.

I think they're rinsing my insurance. Hold up my hand though the accident was my fault.

Was initially told, it was just superficial damage, front left panel, front bumper and bonet, 2-3 weeks. Front bonet was delayed due to container inventory being deleted.

That arrived, send the car away to to reprogram the active cruise control, faulty sensor. Send it back to bodyshop, part is on order. No ETA. Part arrives, fit it, send it away to get programmed. Can't program it. Faulty bracket, guess what, no parts available, on back order.

Everythings in now, and just waiting for it to be programmed. I'm not holding my breath though, I wouldnt be suprised if they find something else after they've programmed it.

Didn't have courtesy car on my insurance, hindsight and all, but this is my first accident. So far the bill is just under 10k. Fully comp, insurance renewal was a week or so ago, only paying about £100 more than I did last year.

Depressing really, long story, but due to my wife cant drive manual, I have to temporarily swap my current company car, manual Golf GTD for an the automatic golf which she drives and I'm driving a Corsa 1.2. The Golf auto is horrendous. Everytime I'm changed down a vehicle, I appreciate the one I had before even more. BMW 3.0D >>> Golf GTD >>> Golf'07 DSG >>> Corsa 1.2SXI.

PS. I took out everything out of the car before it got towed.
      12-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakmunky View Post

Blowing in the new bumper? You don't blow in bumpers Or am I confusing the terms?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

Deyvy - You should name the dealer

I had a similar crash in my E92 lucky i managed to make most of the impact on the left hand side a little further over (looked much worse than yours). But still the damage was 6K+ but the dealer in Warrington fixed the car perfectly in 1 week and since then i have added another 24K onto the clock with no issues.

I found the Warrington body-shop to be excellent and i have even taken non bmw cars for repair there as the prices are not that bad

was the "Stop+Go" more Go than stop
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvy View Post
BMW approved bodyshop, don't think that really means anything. I'm having a mere of a time with my vehicle at the moment, with a BMW approved bodyshop. Was involved in an accident end of September, still waiting for the vehicle.

Service is terrible, they never call back. Been given 4 dates for completion, everytime they fix something they find something else that needs fixing, and to fix it the replacement part is on back order.

I think they're rinsing my insurance. Hold up my hand though the accident was my fault.

Was initially told, it was just superficial damage, front left panel, front bumper and bonet, 2-3 weeks. Front bonet was delayed due to container inventory being deleted.

That arrived, send the car away to to reprogram the active cruise control, faulty sensor. Send it back to bodyshop, part is on order. No ETA. Part arrives, fit it, send it away to get programmed. Can't program it. Faulty bracket, guess what, no parts available, on back order.

Everythings in now, and just waiting for it to be programmed. I'm not holding my breath though, I wouldnt be suprised if they find something else after they've programmed it.

Didn't have courtesy car on my insurance, hindsight and all, but this is my first accident. So far the bill is just under 10k. Fully comp, insurance renewal was a week or so ago, only paying about £100 more than I did last year.

Depressing really, long story, but due to my wife cant drive manual, I have to temporarily swap my current company car, manual Golf GTD for an the automatic golf which she drives and I'm driving a Corsa 1.2. The Golf auto is horrendous. Everytime I'm changed down a vehicle, I appreciate the one I had before even more. BMW 3.0D >>> Golf GTD >>> Golf'07 DSG >>> Corsa 1.2SXI.

PS. I took out everything out of the car before it got towed.
I've only had non fault accidents, which mean a brand new like for like courtesy car through Accident Exchange! So the longer they keep my car the better, and yes they do have it for a long time, which is good as a) it's fixed properly and b) my car isn't gaining mileage or wear and tear in that time.

But yes i agree it's a different matter if it's your fault and you don't have courtesy car!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Funnily enough, Warrington is where my car has to be sent to get the ACC reset. Supposedly a 30k bit of equipment, only 2 garages in the UK that have it.

Xplosiv, there's only one BMW dealer in Manchester?

Though I got great service when I was buying the car, which you would expect, but then from what I read on these forums, thats not necessarily true either.

My cousin has had a bad experience with the servicing side for his BMW at the dealers. Nothing
major, just swapping out winter tyres, but just seemed like no one had a clue.

Being told to come in on a certain day for swapping them out, get there, tyres aren't there, not even been ordered.

Even damaged the fabric on his drivers side door when he got it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosiv166 View Post
was the "Stop+Go" more Go than stop
if it wasnt for the angle, I think the emergency braking function would've kicked in.

Teaston, they have had it for a long time, but for the vast majority of that time, it's just been sitting there waiting for parts.

If they diagnosed all the parts that needed replacing at the very beginning, I would have had my car back in half the time. Even the last month, the car has been perfectly driveable bar the ACC not working. But they're unwiling to release the car as 'it's a 'safety feature.'

Just a combination of poor customer service and expectation management which has left me

I watch documentaries, I saw the one of the BMW or VW logistics supply chain. They used a an example of a US dealer who had to order a spare part for a customers car. Ordered it, then off you go taking a tour of the massive automated warehouse in Germany. Part arrives in the US the same week he ordered it, just in time for Mr.Smiths weekend road trip.

Thats not my experience. New radar sensor, none in stock, they're making it now. New bracket for the radar sensor, none in stock. They're just manufacturing it now.

rant over.
      12-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

i have tried a few garages around the north west and always come back to Warrington.

They are fast and honest. The bodyshop is exceptionally good, i know a few mechanics that actual recommend them.

TBH: I am not a fan of the garage in Manchester, the used car team is full of dick heads,

"If you buy the car today i will give you a deal, but cannot give you my best price unless you say you are buying the car etc" end result "i am now walking out and will not be returning"

every time it comes time to change my car they are way off the mark, certainly will not be using them to service the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 04:32 AM   #14
f1swk
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Blowing in the new bumper? You don't blow in bumpers Or am I confusing the terms?
usually its the surrounding panels that are blown in[sprayed] to hide the non matching colour
      12-22-2013, 04:36 AM   #15
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1swk View Post
usually its the surrounding panels that are blown in[sprayed] to hide the non matching colour
Yes metal panels. But not bumpers, they are painted with different paint from factory and never match in any case.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #16
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Yes metal panels. But not bumpers, they are painted with different paint from factory and never match in any case.
This is true! I am in the process of replacing the rear bumper on my Titan Siver E90, the bodyshop are not blending the surrounding panels as they would not match anyway. I can clearly see there's more metal flake showing on the original rear wing than the original bumper.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #17
RIOBLAST
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21 ELSD

Quote:
Deyvy
Did you damage the tire or rim too?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #18
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIOBLAST View Post
Did you damage the tire or rim too?
No, tyre and rim were fine. At first a bit worrying as fluid was leaking from the car, but it was the screenwash from the headlights.
      12-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #19
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Doesn't surprise me that the estimate was way off - some disreputable companies just think once they've got your car it's an opportunity to screw you.

Back in 2005 I had an IS300 that got whacked up the backside. A certain Lexus bodyshop in the Brighton area took EIGHT MONTHS to repair it. Car should have been written off but they quoted low, got the work then the final bill came to almost double! They were utterly hopeless, a bunch of school kids could have done a better job... by way of an example, the n/side sill was dented so they packed it with filler and didn't even sand it off before spraying it. Looking down the side of the car you could see the filler bulging out!! The list of faults they tried to palm me off with over the months was endless!

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #20
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Why did you not go to VW approved bodyshop?
Ues them before (again on the wifes car not mine! are you seeing a pattern here), they were great (maybe because we are becoming regulars). They use approved parts and the local VW garage doesn't have it's own bodyshop anyway, they just use some garage up the road, hence looking elsewhere in the first place (and the damage wasn't too bad that any insurance was involved)
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0