F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Did BMW NA block RWD wagons?
ARMA SPEED

02-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #45
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I personally am holding out hope that they WILL bring over something RWD (and manual!) at some point, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Dont... you'd be blue as hell.......

It was announced months ago that there would be no manual and now, this "X Drive only" BS just makes it worse.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #46
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
BMW can bring back all the station wagons they want as long as that M Coupe isn't one of them. My 2¢ .
We get it, we get it, you don't like M Coupes or wagons, just dime-a-dozen sedans with 2 doors lopped off to enhance the form-over-function.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #47
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Its just my opinion that is apparently shared by lots of people as BMW clearly doesnt sell many. How much more room is there? Do you pack it to the ceiling?
Sell many where? In the states maybe, but that might have something to do with einsteins like you that even question the boot size in comparison to the sedan. If you cant understand what difference it makes to have a hatcht-opening instead of a sedan-trunk AND more room upwards, then clearly you should wear a helmet when walking around... anywhere.

Im gonna be a daddy soon, i will be able to fit a bugaboo donkey (bigger stroller) without having to lift, twist, lower n turn it in (if it even fits in the sedan). Plus, I can still have more shit in there. I fit 3 of my summer wheels in there (19" 403M) when I switched to winters.

With a wagon, you only get more of what you get with the sedan at a very slight cost of performance. Choosing an X1, 3 or whatever is not the same. It still sporty and handles as well as the sedan, and in this case, looks so much better cause the shape/length of the rear just flows better with the F3x style n lines.

Luckily, more n more americans are seeing the value in a wagon so thats why this is even hapening over there. You are in a minorty little man.

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #48
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
Sell many where? In the states maybe, but that might have something to do with einsteins like you that even question the boot size in comparison to the sedan. If you cant understand what difference it makes to have a hatcht-opening instead of a sedan-trunk AND more room upwards, then clearly you should wear a helmet when walking around... anywhere.

Im gonna be a daddy soon, i will be able to fit a bugaboo donkey (bigger stroller) without having to lift, twist, lower n turn it in (if it even fits in the sedan). Plus, I can still have more shit in there. I fit 3 of my summer wheels in there (19" 403M) when I switched to winters.

With a wagon, you only get more of what you get with the sedan at a very slight cost of performance. Choosing an X1, 3 or whatever is not the same. It still sporty and handles as well as the sedan, and in this case, looks so much better cause the shape/length of the rear just flows better with the F3x style n lines.

Luckily, more n more americans are seeing the value in a wagon so thats why this is even hapening over there. You are in a minorty little man.
I asked a simple question. My Wife has a wagon (unfortunately a Saab). Saab and Volvo are /were the biggest wagons available at the time...hold more stuff than many SUVs. Can't fit golf clubs sideways in most wagons/small trucks so I questioned their utility. Now i know. Get all your anger out at people you don't know before you become a Daddy.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #49
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
I asked a simple question. My Wife has a wagon (unfortunately a Saab). Saab and Volvo are /were the biggest wagons available at the time...hold more stuff than many SUVs. Can't fit golf clubs sideways in most wagons/small trucks so I questioned their utility. Now i know. Get all your anger out at people you don't know before you become a Daddy.
Didnt mean to come off angry, but +1 on that one dude

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #50
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Have you tried the new 8-speed ZF used by BMW and Audi? I had the same position as you do until I tried it. Now I'm really not sure I'd give up something by losing the third pedal.
Yep, I have and we intentionally bought a car without it. Not impressed. It's clearly oriented towards efficiency over engagement. My wife's older 6s slushbox is more entertaining to drive, although it clearly gives up something in terms of mpg to the 8s. Some of this may be colored by the fact that I'm a manual driver and the frequent 8s shifts just sort of make me feel like I'm dealing with a diesel.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #51
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Have you tried the new 8-speed ZF used by BMW and Audi? I had the same position as you do until I tried it. Now I'm really not sure I'd give up something by losing the third pedal.
Man it shifts a lot!!!!!!!!!!! Pretty seamless but busy. It does, however , extract every last ounce of hp and tq out of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #52
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
We get it, we get it, you don't like M Coupes or wagons, just dime-a-dozen sedans with 2 doors lopped off to enhance the form-over-function.

??? Hugh?

I like wagons just fine. I bought one for my kid.

I just don't like the M Coupe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #53
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
??? Hugh?

I like wagons just fine. I bought one for my kid.

I just don't like the M Coupe.
I suppose you've never driven one? I guess we're even though, as the E92 is one of the few BMW's I don't care for.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #54
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I suppose you've never driven one? I guess we're even though, as the E92 is one of the few BMW's I don't care for.
Hugh?

Yes, I've driven one. I have driven the wagon I bought my daughter on quite a few occasions. Why would you suppose I haven't driven it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #55
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
It doesn't surprise me that the 5GT isn't flying off the lots. It's certainly not a beautiful car. it's just less ugly than that M Coupe was.

BMW can bring back all the station wagons they want as long as that M Coupe isn't one of them. My 2¢ .

(When did the cents symbol disappear from keyboards? It used to be "capital 6," which is now a caret symbol. And before it was "capital 6" it was to the right of the semi-colon, no shift required.)
1962 along with 20¢ gas!

The M Coupe allows Bimmerphiles to actually drive on track in BMW sanctioned events. They don't allow droptops of any sort on track, even hardtops. It's a unique look, but I kind of like them. They're an absolute blast to drive hard.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #56
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hugh?

Yes, I've driven one. I have driven the wagon I bought my daughter on quite a few occasions. Why would you suppose I haven't driven it?
I think he meant have you driven an M Coupe...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #57
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Here are some M Coupes. Even liking wagons, I can't see how anyone would think this thing attractive, but I know some folks do, and that's fine because it's just a mater of taste/opinion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #58
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Ah, the Z3M. Yeah, they're pretty goofy. I was thinking Z4M. Much better looking.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #59
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Here are some M Coupes. Even liking wagons, I can't see how anyone would think this thing attractive, but I know some folks do, and that's fine because it's just a mater of taste/opinion.
Here's the thing about those cars: nobody cared how they looked. Especially the later ones, with S54 under the hood. They were just too much fun to pay attention to their looks.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #60
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yep, had an Imola Red Z3 M Coupe. I actually like the looks, but love the way they drove. I considered a Z4 MC, but didn't like the lack of visibility and more refined nature.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #61
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

IIRC I've seen plenty of trolls from the same people about their hate for the M Coupe. I don't care, it's a fantastic car with plusses and minuses, just saying, seems that some people need to pop their head up in every thread to hear themselves talk.

Used to be that hardly anyone liked the Z3MC; I've always loved it, and now that most enthusiasts do too, it's nice to see how many people have come around.

Surprised that there are people out there who really dislike the Z4MC though. That's just really an attractive car. I wouldn't trade my Z3MC for one, but I really dig the z4mc.
Appreciate 0