F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Rear Window Spontaneous shatter
proTUNING Freaks

02-17-2015, 11:12 AM   #23
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_NJ View Post
It was obviously Ninja Rocks
Nice, now ppl will know how to do it...
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #24
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
This happed to my aunts parked Buick. Only commonality with the OP is it was very cold & icy out. Window collapsed as the ice melted off it.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #25
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkoul_96 View Post
I expect them to clean it up because I am the customer. If someone came in to my place and my product caused them this inconvenience I would accommodate them. Especially if this inconvenience is a bunch of sharp glass. They have the tools and equipment to clean it with more diligence along with the experience.

I was asking for advice. You should grow up rather than randomly going on forums and being a nuisance.
Entitlement sucks. This is an insurance issue, not a BMW issue. The glass repair company would clean up the glass...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #26
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Entitlement got nothing to do with it.

I used to work in an auto glass repair shop as a kid. Some cars will have small "stops" installed under the bottom edge of the front windshield to prevent the glass from sliding away in a sudden deceleration / stop collision. If the windshield is installed too close to, or in contact with those stops, or in contact with some other "hard" part of the car's window frame, it can shatter suddenly if the glass is subject to thermal stress (as it warms up on a very cold Montreal day) or if there is a shock through the car (hitting a road irregularity / pothole). I've seen cases where my shop did such an improper install, the glass failed, and we were on the hook for a free repair.

If your car has such or similar stops anywhere on the rear glass, check to see if the glass is in contact with them. Check the top edge of the rear glass too. The glass should only contact the car through the rubber adhesive seal strip on the inner side of the glass - and NOT anywhere on the edge of the glass. If the glass is in contact with any hard part of the car, BMW screwed up at the factory and they should replace the glass under waranty.

I'll take a look at our 2014 328 XDrive when the wife gets home with it tonight to see if I can spot anything which may be a potential issue for you.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 02-17-2015 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #27
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Happened to my VW Scirocco years ago. Sitting in the cold, just shattered.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #28
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
Happened to my VW Scirocco years ago. Sitting in the cold, just shattered.
That reminds me! This happened to me on my 89 Golf Wolfsburg as well. As I knew what to look for as the potential culprit, I found that the windshield was in contact with the stop, pointed it out to the service manager at the dealer and they replaced the windshield for free. They weren't happy about it, but there was no doubt that the glass was installed improperly.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #29
Livfast335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340 X-Drive

Hey Op,

Where in Montreal? Which dealer? Go to BMW Laval. I hope you didn't go to Canbec cuz they don't help even if it's under warranty.
2013 BMW 335i X-Drive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #30
zmich
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

nice one
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #31
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkoul_96 View Post
I expect them to clean it up because I am the customer. If someone came in to my place and my product caused them this inconvenience I would accommodate them. Especially if this inconvenience is a bunch of sharp glass. They have the tools and equipment to clean it with more diligence along with the experience.

I was asking for advice. You should grow up rather than randomly going on forums and being a nuisance.
The problem is: BMW cannot prove that their product caused this. They have no reason to clean it up. Just take it to a car wash, and have them do it if you don't want to. Just file a claim under insurance, and it will be covered.

This is like me waking up one morning and finding my iphone was cracked for no reason and expecting Apple to fix it for free.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #32
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Is it just me or isn't there vents at the back that the glass can fall into? Same thing on the front and the very top of the dashboard...

Or maybe I am wrnog, idk, always freaked me out, the thought of having glass shatter in my car.
      02-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #33
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
Is it just me or isn't there vents at the back that the glass can fall into? Same thing on the front and the very top of the dashboard...

Or maybe I am wrnog, idk, always freaked me out, the thought of having glass shatter in my car.
The vents just let air flow from the car to the trunk, so the trunk closes properly.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #34
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Entitlement got nothing to do with it.
Entitlement has everything to do with it given the fact that he indicated that they should have taken care of him/it whether it was their problem or not.

The glass installation is fully automated with tolerances measured in the 10s of thousandths. There's no opportunity for the glass to contact the body structure. If that were, the case, I'd expect the glass to shatter while driving since that's when the chassis flexes. If it happened while stationary it had to be an external force or thermal shock.

For anyone interested, there have been issues in the past with overly effective rear defrosters shattering windows if left on too long. That does not sound to be the case here based on the info given.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #35
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Hey, for what it's worth, when I had an Audi, the windshield developed a stress crack within 3 weeks of taking delivery. I called the dealer and asked where I should go to get genuine Audi windshield replacement. They told me to drop it off the next day and they took care of it no questions asked. It didn't even go on my insurance, even though in MA, all glass is fully covered.

I wasn't there and don't know all the circumstances or the tone of the discussion. But I don't find it unreasonable to think the dealer (any dealer whether it be Honda or BMW) could have offered to help vacuum up some of the glass just as a courtesy. If I showed up like that I wouldn't feel entitled to them helping. But I sure would be disappointed if they said, "You're on your own...don't drop any of that glass in our lot on your way out."
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 04:40 PM   #36
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I used to work in an auto glass repair shop as a kid. Some cars will have small "stops" installed under the bottom edge of the front windshield to prevent the glass from sliding away in a sudden deceleration / stop collision. If the windshield is installed too close to, or in contact with those stops, or in contact with some other "hard" part of the car's window frame, it can shatter suddenly if the glass is subject to thermal stress (as it warms up on a very cold Montreal day) or if there is a shock through the car (hitting a road irregularity / pothole). I've seen cases where my shop did such an improper install, the glass failed, and we were on the hook for a free repair.
And this will take 2 years to finally cause breakage? Seriously, if the install was done recently, yes, this sort of thing is possible. 2 years and the "improper" install lasted through truck, ship, and rail transport and 2 years of use and THEN suddenly broke?

Want some beachfront property in Nevada too? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post

Most cases the debris can be vacuumed out without disassembling the dash.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #37
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_NJ View Post
It was obviously Ninja Rocks

Damn ninjas...

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 08:45 PM   #38
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

Well since ive replaced my glass twice i can tell you that yea you can vacuum up like 95% of the glass but it will be hard to get all of it without taking some of the interior apart. I didnt take it apart and one month later and im still finding pieces of glass in the rear of the car. It sucks but hey shit happens and ive gotten over it already. Woke up to a flat tire today so thats gotten my mind off the broken windshields I think many of you guys are being a bit harsh on the OP. If i was running a dealership/service area i would have at least taken a look at what may have been the cause and helped him get some of the glass out so that it was safe to drive back home at least, even if they didnt offer to replace it for him. But as someone who owns a couple businesses, what do i know
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 09:21 PM   #39
TBolts10
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 F30

How bout you just clean it yourself lazy ass
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2015, 03:56 AM   #40
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji99lypuff View Post
Well since ive replaced my glass twice i can tell you that yea you can vacuum up like 95% of the glass but it will be hard to get all of it without taking some of the interior apart. I didnt take it apart and one month later and im still finding pieces of glass in the rear of the car. It sucks but hey shit happens and ive gotten over it already. Woke up to a flat tire today so thats gotten my mind off the broken windshields I think many of you guys are being a bit harsh on the OP. If i was running a dealership/service area i would have at least taken a look at what may have been the cause and helped him get some of the glass out so that it was safe to drive back home at least, even if they didnt offer to replace it for him. But as someone who owns a couple businesses, what do i know
Firstly, The OP never claimed that their car wasn't safe to drive.
Secondly, the car is 2 years old. If it's a manufacturing fault, especially in a part of the world where you get extremes of weather, then it's never going to have lasted that long.
Thirdly (and I'll make this point as you say you are a business owner, and therefore customer satisfaction is important to you) : if everyone in your workshop was busy, working on customer's cars, would you really have instucted your people to get it cleaned for the OP for free, if it meant one of those customers not having their car ready ?
After all, you yourself have pointed out that to REALLY get it done, you've got to strip some of the interior out.

That's not going to be a quick job.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 06:54 AM   #41
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post
And this will take 2 years to finally cause breakage? Seriously, if the install was done recently, yes, this sort of thing is possible. 2 years and the "improper" install lasted through truck, ship, and rail transport and 2 years of use and THEN suddenly broke?

Want some beachfront property in Nevada too? LOL

Most cases the debris can be vacuumed out without disassembling the dash.
Yes, most of the time, the glass breaks soon after an improper install. But it can also happen some period of time later, particularly if the glass was very close to or just brushing against the stop. It could move slightly over time increasing contact pressure. That combined with thermal stress and road shock and voila - a glass breakage months after an improper install.

We saw a few of those at the shop too. Much rarer, but they did happen.

And yes, much of this is automated now, but it is possible for the process to mess up. For example, the dash of my Golf used to squeak like crazy. Turns out that the welding robots that attached the mounting points welded them about 1/4 inch out of alignment so the dash was not fitting properly. The dealer pulled the dash and re-installed the mounts to cure the problem. So if a robot can mess up that sort of thing, its reaonable to think that a glass installation robot could misplace the glass just enough to cause an issue such as that being discussed here. Quality control issues happen all the time in a mass production environment.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #42
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

Its almost impossible to drive safely with all that glass shattered all over and inside your car. Wind will have made the inside of your car a glass vortex with pieces flying all over the place. Look im not saying the service area would have any responsibility in fixing it for free or at all. I understand but as one human being to another, i see that its probably a hazard for the driver and other people on the road for him to be driving like that and maybe inform him of some options or cover it up with a garbage bag or something. Some people may disagree with my train of thought but jey everyone has their own way of thinking. Ultimately i am agreeing with most of the commenters in saying that the op has to tale care of it and pay for the repair. I also dont see how this can be considered a warranty claim especially after two years.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #43
Tommy_hf
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F36 CQ M, Z4 E85 3.0iS MSL SC

It's not that the dealer won't clean it, they just won't clean it for free unless it's a approved warranty claim. Threatening the SA to make a scene from the get go isn't going to help.
Glass can break, especially after 2 yrs it's not going to be a mfg fault or faulty installation.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #44
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji99lypuff View Post

Here's the part you're forgetting - no good deed goes unpunished. I'd give 10:1 that if the lot boy vacuuming up the glass in "good will" inadvertently scratched the leather or nicked a door panel or any other sort of damage that there would be no hesitation to go after the dealer to repair it. There may also be explicit internal policies in regard to this as well. There is nothing inherently unsafe about driving around with a car full of glass. The OP already drove it to the dealership in the first place so why would it be any more dangerous to drive it back home?
Appreciate 0