F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Side Mirror Motor Wiring
ARMA SPEED

02-21-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
millertime22
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Side Mirror Motor Wiring

The short:
Anyone have wiring diagram for folding side mirror motor? Need to disable it.

Backstory:
Walked out to my baby F30 328i and found my driver mirror was bent back. Sure enough the motorized folding no longer works. Even worse, the motor still tries to do its thing but only results in a very loud grinding sound each time the car is unlocked. Seems like repairing is out of my price range ($1000+) and don't want to resort to insurance claim. So I've thought of this approach...cutting the wire to the motor power, while retaining other electronics heated mirror, turn signal and ability to adjust the angle. Trouble is, I can't seem to find the diagram to show me which wire to cut.

I've considered coding it to disable, but was wanting to see the if there was a more...direct approach.

This thread shows a picture of what looks like wires related to the blinker (not my car), still can't make out which are related to the motor:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1080270

Ideally I'd find a post like this. Scroll down to see the pictures highlighting which cable to cut:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=469168&page=2

Thanks for any help. I've also considered trimming the wire on the inside, underneath the window control housing button for the side mirror folding. Still unsure of which wire that would be.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #2
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

So, I messed around with the F30 mirrors A LOT about a month ago while swapping a semi-broken one with 2 used ones (first was a dud, 2nd was ok).

Your best bet is:

A) Pop off the cover, it comes off with some force. Be firm but gentle as there are plastic clips in there. They are of a hard type of plastic but CAN break. If you feel as though "it just not coming off", you are wrong. try a different side / position. It will come off. Trim tool is helpful here.

B) Once the cover is off, you will see the mirror mechanism. Its a round hollow cylinder. The motor is in there. You will also see a 2 pin cable connected to it. Unplig that, and the motor will no longer work.

Its the 2 pin blue + brown wire in this picture:

You're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime22 View Post
The short:
Anyone have wiring diagram for folding side mirror motor? Need to disable it.

Backstory:
Walked out to my baby F30 328i and found my driver mirror was bent back. Sure enough the motorized folding no longer works. Even worse, the motor still tries to do its thing but only results in a very loud grinding sound each time the car is unlocked. Seems like repairing is out of my price range ($1000+) and don't want to resort to insurance claim. So I've thought of this approach...cutting the wire to the motor power, while retaining other electronics heated mirror, turn signal and ability to adjust the angle. Trouble is, I can't seem to find the diagram to show me which wire to cut.

I've considered coding it to disable, but was wanting to see the if there was a more...direct approach.

This thread shows a picture of what looks like wires related to the blinker (not my car), still can't make out which are related to the motor:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1080270

Ideally I'd find a post like this. Scroll down to see the pictures highlighting which cable to cut:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=469168&page=2

Thanks for any help. I've also considered trimming the wire on the inside, underneath the window control housing button for the side mirror folding. Still unsure of which wire that would be.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I'd get a mirror off a junkyard car.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
millertime22
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Anom3, many thanks! I thought that might be the cable but didn't want to risk it! I will disconnect that and hopefully get rid of this embarrassing sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 10:45 PM   #5
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

Be sure to wrap the contacts that the cable has with some tape etc. Would not want those shorting either against the metal (althought I _THINK_ thats aluminum there...) or due to moisture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime22 View Post
Anom3, many thanks! I thought that might be the cable but didn't want to risk it! I will disconnect that and hopefully get rid of this embarrassing sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 10:39 PM   #6
Supremegee
F30 335i Msport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i m sport

I'm going to try this the sound is so loud