F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Gran Coupe or X4?
proTUNING Freaks

03-23-2015, 09:07 PM   #23
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post
The GT... for people with dogs or perhaps run a small business requiring tools or equipment in the boot.
Or four men and their golf clubs, without having to place two of the golf bags across the laps of the two in the back seat, nor with their knees hitting the front seats and their heads hitting the roof.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #24
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Do you want something useful, or an overpriced, glorified 3 series with a hatch? We all know that 4GCs are just 3s with hatches. At least the GT, and lesser so the X4, are useful and can haul stuff and people. The GC is no bigger than the F30, and useless for hauling.
As a 4GC owner I agree that the 4gc is just a 3 with a hatch. It still handles like a boat and if you test-drive it side-by-side with a Hyundai i30, you will be very surprised.

I had to pick my wife's family up from the airport, they had about 4 suitcases. 2 of them had to go on laps as the boot just wasn't big enough.

If you want utility, get an X4/F31. The 4GC hatch is very useful, but it doesn't enhance the utility as much as I would like.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #25
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton
Quote:
You're dreaming. The 3 and 4 are the same car. Same platform. To believe anything else is moronic. You bought a 3 series with a hatch. Its no more a sports car than any 3 series. If anything its less so, due to the large opening in back compromising chassis rigidity.
I'm not sure why you hate the Gran Coupe this much but now that I think of it, my wife and I hated each other the first year we first met, been a wonderful 20 years since.

Like the rest of us, you will wind up in a Gran Coupe. And when you do, I won't hold a grudge about the things you say today. Instead I will help you pick the right color and congratulate you on choosing such an awesome car, the best looking BMW currently manufactures.
Admit it, you only bought the car because you love hearing yourself say "gran coupe" in your best used car salesman commercial voice even more than you like hearing yourself say "everything else."

It's ok, don't be shy...

OP, I would say drive them both and bring some of your "stuff" with you, whatever you need to put in the back, try it out... Better still, see if you can get an overnight test drive of each car to take home and try out the space. Truth is, there's a reason BMW is making so many variations of these cars no matter how much people may argue over which is better. The only answer that matters is your own. Hell, that's true even if you have to convince yourself a small car is "wide"
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #26
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Do you want something useful, or an overpriced, glorified 3 series with a hatch? We all know that 4GCs are just 3s with hatches. At least the GT, and lesser so the X4, are useful and can haul stuff and people. The GC is no bigger than the F30, and useless for hauling.
haters gonna hate ...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #27
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
You're dreaming. The 3 and 4 are the same car. Same platform. To believe anything else is moronic. You bought a 3 series with a hatch. Its no more a sports car than any 3 series. If anything its less so, due to the large opening in back compromising chassis rigidity.
Sounds like more sour grapes to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:44 PM   #28
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
haters gonna hate ...
No hate, just reality. The F3X's are all the same except the F34 and 35, which are the same as each other.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:15 PM   #29
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post

I had to pick my wife's family up from the airport, they had about 4 suitcases. 2 of them had to go on laps as the boot just wasn't big enough.

If you want utility, get an X4/F31. The 4GC hatch is very useful, but it doesn't enhance the utility as much as I would like.
Here's what you don't get: The entire reason we love the Gran Coupe so much is because of its impracticality.

Compared to the Sedan it's lower, wider yet more cramped, has challenging rear passenger ingress/egress, tight headroom, reduced rear visibility, it's more expensive, it's a car that shouldn't exist.

But it does. And it sells. Simply because it's so beautiful. It's truly the ultimate, Ultimate Driving Machine.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #30
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
haha believe me, I am well-versed in impracticality:

the 4-series and X4 are style-oriented, and are great choices for those with style and quirkiness high on the priority list
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #31
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Admit it, you only bought the car because you love hearing yourself say "gran coupe" in your best used car salesman commercial voice even more than you like hearing yourself say "everything else."

It's ok, don't be shy...

OP, I would say drive them both and bring some of your "stuff" with you, whatever you need to put in the back, try it out... Better still, see if you can get an overnight test drive of each car to take home and try out the space. Truth is, there's a reason BMW is making so many variations of these cars no matter how much people may argue over which is better. The only answer that matters is your own. Hell, that's true even if you have to convince yourself a small car is "wide"
Being completely honest, I tell you what I told BMW when they sent a research firm to my home to interview me:

The 4 Series Gran Coupe is the car that a 47 year old father dreams of. In our 20's and early 30's, we drove Coupe's. Two doors, low rooflines, low ground clearance, we're men, we're single, very upwardly mobile very quickly, we're driving the Ultimate Attraction Machine, we're going to find the trophy wife, the hunt is stellar, it's awesome. You remember.

But in our late 30's and 40's, the job gets big, babies come popping out, and practicality is now our reality and gone are the sexy rides and on comes the four-door Family Sedan and the Minivan. Wife is great, kids are great, but the cars take the hit. Need four doors, need space, all those car carriers, all those car seats, all those boosters, all those strollers. The Ultimate Daddy Machine.

And after doing this for 15 years, we lust for Coupe after Coupe, the E46 into the E92 into the F32, we can look, but we cannot touch. Ah, but BMW has the solution. Take the F32, cut two more doors, poof, just like that, dad has his Coupe back.

So that's why it's humorous to see the Gran Coupe lumped in with the puffy, bulbous, pedestrian, and practical likes of the GT and X4 which are more vehicles for the frustrated father. The Gran Coupe is their antidote.
Appreciate 2
      03-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #32
cracing
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I was facing a choice between GC and X4, which are totally different car/SUV. I test-drove both, and I bought a GC simply because I want a driver's car aside from cargo space. Don't understand why people compare a F36 with a F30, there is no point!

Current: 2015 F36 435 Xi GC ///M-Sport
Retired: 2005 ACURA TSX A-SPEC
Retired: 2003 ACURA RSX
Retired: 2002 HONDA CIVIC 4 DR
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:44 PM   #33
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post

It's ok, don't be shy...

Being completely honest, I tell you what I told BMW when they sent a research firm to my home to interview me:

The 4 Series Gran Coupe is the car that a 47 year old father dreams of. In our 20's and early 30's, we drove Coupe's. Two doors, low rooflines, low ground clearance, we're men, we're single, very upwardly mobile very quickly, we're driving the Ultimate Attraction Machine, we're going to find the trophy wife, the hunt is stellar, it's awesome. You remember.

But in our late 30's and 40's, the job gets big, babies come popping out, and practicality is now our reality and gone are the sexy rides and on comes the four-door Family Sedan and the Minivan. Wife is great, kids are great, but the cars take the hit. Need four doors, need space, all those car carriers, all those car seats, all those boosters, all those strollers. The Ultimate Daddy Machine.

And after doing this for 15 years, we lust for Coupe after Coupe, the E46 into the E92 into the F32, we can look, but we cannot touch. Ah, but BMW has the solution. Take the F32, cut two more doors, poof, just like that, dad has his Coupe back.

So that's why it's humorous to see the Gran Coupe lumped in with the puffy, bulbous, pedestrian, and practical likes of the GT and X4 which are more vehicles for the frustrated father. The Gran Coupe is their antidote.
Was it during dinner? I bet it was. I swear, every single time BMW sends a research firm to my house it is during dinner. And why the whole firm? Don't they eat dinner? Do they want my dinner? :
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 11:14 PM   #34
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracing View Post

Don't understand why people compare a F36 with a F30, there is no point!
Exactly.

We don't compare the F32 to the F30 for the same reason. It's accepted fact that the two-door Coupe is lower, wider, sportier, just a better looking car that is more aggressive, inspiring, and exhilarating. Take that hotter-than-hell F32, whip out an X-Acto knife, you've got a four-door F32. In fact, one can argue quite easily that the F32 is no longer necessary. It looks like an F36 with very lengthy rear quarter panels. Because that's what it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:24 PM   #35
laz4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 Titanium Silver Z4 35i

It's strange how everyone just accepts the 4GC as an impractical car. The cargo capacity between the 4GC and the X4 is a small difference considering that one is an SUV and one is a sports sedan.

Also the hatch makes it very good for loading and unloading.

I was considering both, but went with a GC because it was more fun to drive, similar in seat height to my z4 and has an up to date interior.

And for those saying it's the same car as a 3 series, you are correct with one major exception: style. And that matters to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:47 PM   #36
cracing
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by laz4
It's strange how everyone just accepts the 4GC as an impractical car. The cargo capacity between the 4GC and the X4 is a small difference considering that one is an SUV and one is a sports sedan.

Also the hatch makes it very good for loading and unloading.

I was considering both, but went with a GC because it was more fun to drive, similar in seat height to my z4 and has an up to date interior.

And for those saying it's the same car as a 3 series, you are correct with one major exception: style. And that matters to me.
Very fair comparison and a valid point, aside from all other aspects, style does matters! And it is worth every extra penny!

Current: 2015 F36 435 Xi GC ///M-Sport
Retired: 2005 ACURA TSX A-SPEC
Retired: 2003 ACURA RSX
Retired: 2002 HONDA CIVIC 4 DR
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 05:37 AM   #37
laz4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 Titanium Silver Z4 35i

Just to show how little the difference is...

Total cargo space with seats down:

X4: 49.4 cubic feet
4GC: 45.9 cubic feet

The sloped roof line of the X4 severely limits cargo space in favor of aggressive styling. The Gran Coupe definitely comes close.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 07:32 AM   #38
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Here's what you don't get: The entire reason we love the Gran Coupe so much is because of its impracticality.
Compared to the Sedan it's lower, wider yet more cramped, has challenging rear passenger ingress/egress, tight headroom, reduced rear visibility, it's more expensive, it's a car that shouldn't exist.
But it does. And it sells. Simply because it's so beautiful. It's truly the ultimate, Ultimate Driving Machine.
Maybe they should dub it the Fernando. "I don't care if I feel good, just as long as I look good".
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #39
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Maybe they should dub it the Fernando. "I don't care if I feel good, just as long as I look good".
Well, if you take a great car like the F30 and want to make it better the only real thing BMW can do is make it look better. And if you already have a lower/wider/sportier car that's more exclusive in the F32 then it makes sense to add two more doors to it and there you go, a hotter alternative to the gazillion 3 Series Sedans on the road especially since it just went CPO in huge numbers.

The 6 Series Gran Coupe has been following this strategy successfully for 5 years, no one can confuse a 6 Series Gran Coupe with a 5 Series Sedan, it looks spot-on to the 6 Series Coupe, different customer, different price range, different car.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #40
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Well, if you take a great car like the F30 and want to make it better the only real thing BMW can do is make it look better. And if you already have a lower/wider/sportier car that's more exclusive in the F32 then it makes sense to add two more doors to it and there you go, a hotter alternative to the gazillion 3 Series Sedans on the road especially since it just went CPO in huge numbers.

The 6 Series Gran Coupe has been following this strategy successfully for 5 years, no one can confuse a 6 Series Gran Coupe with a 5 Series Sedan, it looks spot-on to the 6 Series Coupe, different customer, different price range, different car.
Point you continue to miss is that the 6GC actually IS a completely different car than the 5, unlike the 4GC/F30/F32.

6GC:
Measurements
Width: 74.6 in.
Height: 54.8 in.
Length: 197.2 in.
Ground clearance: 5.0 in.
Front track: 63.0 in.
Rear track: 65.6 in.

5:
Measurements
Width: 73.2 in.
Height: 57.6 in.
Length: 193.4 in.
Ground clearance: 5.6 in.
Front track: 63.0 in.
Rear track: 64.1 in.

Now the F3x's:
3:
Measurements
Width: 71.3 in.
Height: 56.3 in.
Length: 182.5 in.
Front track: 60.3 in.
Rear track: 61.9 in.
Wheel base: 110.6 in.
Cargo capacity, all seats in place: 13.0 cu.ft.

4GC:
Measurements
Width: 71.9 in.
Height: 54.7 in.
Length: 182.6 in.
Ground clearance: 5.1 in.
Front track: 60.8 in.
Rear track: 62.8 in.
Wheel base: 110.6 in.
Cargo capacity, all seats in place: 14.0 cu.ft.

I know, I know, it LOOKS wider, right? The 6 is wide. The 3 AND 4 are skinny and short. And that's fine (preferred even) with most people that don't want a big car, and aren't inclined to pretend a mid size car is anything but....
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #41
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 M-Sport Stage 1 GS

Quote:

It's really a simple decision:

Do you want the sleekest and sexiest four-door of the 3 Series/4 Series range or do you want the the largest and most bulbous of the range?
Since you have picture posting skills, please present the same lines of each model so we can get a better comparison.

The M-Sport lines of the 428, 328GT, X3, X4 and the Sport wagon would be a more fair, helpful and interesting comparison of 5 models with cargo versatility. Thanks in advance.

In your post I believe you showed the 435 M-sport, which is the highest model, along with lower lines of the other models. Unfair physical comparison, obviously to further flatter your favorite model the 4GC.
      03-24-2015, 08:51 AM   #42
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
How did this thread turned into a 3 vs 4GC series thread again?
Just because you think 4GC looks better, it doesn't mean it looks better for all or for most. I am pretty sure the reason why the 3 is a best seller for a reason, because buyers likes the way it looks and function. The 4GC price has been the same price as a 3 series for months already. People think that the 4GC cost more is seriously being ripped off.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #43
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:

As an F34 driver .. I'd say you nailed it. The 3GT is for someone who wants to drive a 4 series but simply cant accept its lack of cargo/passenger space. Given that, however, I have no idea what the X4 is doing in this conversation.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 09:52 AM   #44
atg4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
As an F34 driver .. I'd say you nailed it. The 3GT is for someone who wants to drive a 4 series but simply cant accept its lack of cargo/passenger space. Given that, however, I have no idea what the X4 is doing in this conversation.
Eh I disagree. The GT is for someone who wants an F30 but needs the utility of an x3. Hence the xdrive, higher stance, bigger rear area, and hatch. The GT is by no means a coupe wannabe but rather a sedan wannabe. The 4GC fits your definition though.
Appreciate 0