F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Pure Turbos Stage 1 - UPDATED JULY 25
GetBMWParts

07-20-2016, 02:13 PM   #45
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot
Newbie question:
These turbos are bigger than stock, aren't they?
does the bigger size mean more power at the expense of more turbo lag? As often in all things are trade offs, i was wondering... Thanks!
The st1 turbo has stock turbine side and upgraded compressor side. Spoolup time is similar.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #46
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe View Post
I'm interested to see what the stage 1 does with just basic mods. I have a jb4. And er cp. I would love to get ps1 and Enzo flash for daily. What can I expect with that and DP?
you'll find out soon!

I ended up doing a Dinan Stage 1, which is essentially the same, but allowed me to use a dealer to do the install (which ironically saved me a lot of money).

Once tuning is sorted out (and hopefully install is ok), I'll see if I can post numbers.

Direction I was given was Enzo BEF + JB4.

I suspect there are tuners that will eventually be able to control boost entirely through a BEF, but for now, this is all I have, and I need something.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 04:35 PM   #47
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
Quote:
I'm interested to see what the stage 1 does with just basic mods. I have a jb4. And er cp. I would love to get ps1 and Enzo flash for daily. What can I expect with that and DP?
you'll find out soon!

I ended up doing a Dinan Stage 1, which is essentially the same, but allowed me to use a dealer to do the install (which ironically saved me a lot of money).

Once tuning is sorted out (and hopefully install is ok), I'll see if I can post numbers.

Direction I was given was Enzo BEF + JB4.

I suspect there are tuners that will eventually be able to control boost entirely through a BEF, but for now, this is all I have, and I need something.
I find that hard to believe that the dinan stage 1 is the same as the JB4, DP, CP and pure stage 1. FBO without turbos is around 400 so that would make FBO plus stage 1 pure around 440 ish. Those are the same as the dinan S3 kit with the big turbo upgrade.
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 02:20 AM   #48
N55Nick
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive

Quote:
I find that hard to believe that the dinan stage 1 is the same as the JB4, DP, CP and pure stage 1. FBO without turbos is around 400 so that would make FBO plus stage 1 pure around 440 ish. Those are the same as the dinan S3 kit with the big turbo upgrade.
We will be running 18psi with pump gas (94 octane here). Enzo estimates 450-480 at crank, wish seems ambitious.. Will be booking AWD dyno once car is ready (it's xDrive).
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 02:25 AM   #49
N55Nick
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

UPDATED - July 20, 2016

Update! ECU en route to be delivered today. Part installation started on car yesterday. Hopefully she will be ready in coming days! Shout out to Enzo Performance in NY. Amazing, fast and responsive service!
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #50
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to be clear, I meant Dinan Stage 1 TURBO.
The stage 1 tune is <<<<<< Enzo's 400R for sure, and much less than the Enzo 400R+ JB4.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #51
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
Quote:
The stage 1 tune is <<<<<< Enzo's 400R for sure, and much less than the Enzo 400R+ JB4.
Ahh yeah. That's much better haha. I was going to say. Really the Dinan turbo upgrade is kinda pointless in my eyes. It gives you more consistent and linear power in the higher RPM's but that car easily be fixed with a bench tune. Ps1 would be nice for me since I daily my car but I just don't know if I want to put my engine under the stress of PS2. I guess I don't need to run them wide open all the time. I just don't any to start having issues with my car. I feel like running port injection and meth and all that stuff will be a lot of maintenance work or just another thing to break or go wrong. Ps1 seems to be a great option for the street warrior and can still obtain good power without the need for anything other than a fuel pump upgrade. Would it be recommended to run an upgraded intercooler when on PS1 or will the stock one work fine? I hear it's pretty decent.
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 08:53 AM   #52
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Newbie question:
These turbos are bigger than stock, aren't they?
does the bigger size mean more power at the expense of more turbo lag? As often in all things are trade offs, i was wondering... Thanks!
Yes here is a comparison.
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #53
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
So I have the Enzo 400R+ flash with a down pipe and of course OEM turbo. From your review you stated you needed a reflash. What exactly needs to be reflashed? I already have the JB4 hooked up. With your original flash and the turbo you're saying the car did not like the tune so it had to be redone?

PM sent
      07-22-2016, 04:23 PM   #54
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981
Quote:
So I have the Enzo 400R+ flash with a down pipe and of course OEM turbo. From your review you stated you needed a reflash. What exactly needs to be reflashed? I already have the JB4 hooked up. With your original flash and the turbo you're saying the car did not like the tune so it had to be redone?

PM sent
PM being written :-)

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #55
N55Nick
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

UPDATED - July 22, 2016 - Need Help!

Any feedback/ideas would be appreciated! Need help. Posted JB4 logs on:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=485485

MAP 0, we did our first run, idles just fine at first and no codes at startup, but at WOT very little power and goes into limp-mode right away, misfires codes, then starts shaking at idle around 1K RPM until you turn off. Restart engine, idles just fine, until WOT again. At first it was cylinder 2, so we switched the spark-plug with cylinder 1 and then code was in cylinder 1. We then got a replacement plug and now it's saying cylinder 2 again. I did some searching and some people say plugs, or coils, or DP/intake sensors were connected wrong. Not sure where to start. Attached are logs and screenshot of codes. Any idea where to start?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #56
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

datapoint: my tuner/shop asked to put in M3 plugs as part of the install of a stage 2.

Also looking at your n54 thread you are setting the boost to 20 psi ? That is quite high for 91 octane no? I think misfires with the stock fueling and high boost are a bit of an unspoken issue amoung the tuners.

Last edited by zinner; 07-22-2016 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #57
N55Nick
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
datapoint: my tuner/shop asked to put in M3 plugs as part of the install of a stage 2.

Also looking at your n54 thread you are setting the boost to 20 psi ? That is quite high for 91 octane no? I think misfires with the stock fueling and high boost are a bit of an unspoken issue amoung the tuners.
We installed the NGK plugs recommended by Enzo as well.JB4 was set to MAP 0. The 20psi was on my second post/image comparing my log data to another car with Pure Stage 1, but it wasn't my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 09:38 PM   #58
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner

I don't feel that colder plugs are the answer. I was told previously to switch to the s63 plugs which are a step closer and yielded no results. My problem ended up being the flash tune itself was the issue. As always, wether it be piggyback or flash a couple of things have to be in order.
- plugs
- coils
- injectors
- walnut blast

All of the above is contingent on miles on vehicle.

If you feel it's an octane problem and timing is too advanced just boost the octane with some e85 mix or classic over the counter MMT. Some 76 gas stations sell 100oct.

My spark plugs were best kept stock and tapped down.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #59
N55Nick
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
I don't feel that colder plugs are the answer. I was told previously to switch to the s63 plugs which are a step closer and yielded no results. My problem ended up being the flash tune itself was the issue. As always, wether it be piggyback or flash a couple of things have to be in order.
- plugs
- coils
- injectors
- walnut blast

All of the above is contingent on miles on vehicle.

If you feel it's an octane problem and timing is too advanced just boost the octane with some e85 mix or classic over the counter MMT. Some 76 gas stations sell 100oct.

My spark plugs were best kept stock and tapped down.
Octane was 94, but most importantly I was just running MAP0 + bench. Seems really weird that such a new car (15K miles) would have coils, sparks, injectors fail immediately after install. I was running a stage1 piggyback for 2 years, so the car was already used to more power than stock.

Anyway to tell from logs if JB4 (or intake/DP sensors) are connected properly??
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 10:09 PM   #60
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Has your fuel pressure regulator been checked? I wonder if that's causing the issue.

Doesn't throw a code, you need to let a dealer probe to find out.

18psi seems like a lot too, my stack+flash is max at 16psi (see below)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 10:29 PM   #61
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Has your fuel pressure regulator been checked? I wonder if that's causing the issue.

Doesn't throw a code, you need to let a dealer probe to find out.

18psi seems like a lot too, my stack+flash is max at 16psi (see below)
My JB4 on map 7 is 18 PSI. Granted I dont run it often maybe every 2 tanks of fuel but that is only for a few days until the e85 range goes to 0 lol
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #62
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Checked your log on N54tech. Your HPFP is reason for the misfires. From the FP_H in the log it seems it's crashing. It should be 10+ preferably more. On EWG I have not often seen it go below 15.

Your AFR is lean (normal for EWG), boost is low and yet you still get misfires. I would say a hardware issue. I suggest if you can go back stock flash easily do that first.

Now that I think of it JB4 does not log all data on map0. Maybe try a log on map4 and we get a better view. But I think with the change to OBD on map0 it also displays a lot of data.

Either flash side or hardware issue with HPFP or LPFP that feeds the HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 04:21 PM   #63
N55Nick
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiedm4 View Post
Checked your log on N54tech. Your HPFP is reason for the misfires. From the FP_H in the log it seems it's crashing. It should be 10+ preferably more. On EWG I have not often seen it go below 15.

Your AFR is lean (normal for EWG), boost is low and yet you still get misfires. I would say a hardware issue. I suggest if you can go back stock flash easily do that first.

Now that I think of it JB4 does not log all data on map0. Maybe try a log on map4 and we get a better view. But I think with the change to OBD on map0 it also displays a lot of data.

Thank you for the direction, much appreciated. First step is to reconnect all sensors on Monday and see what happens. I hope it's not the flash, as I would need to ship it to NY again via FedEx and wait for it to come back. I'm really hoping its a connection issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #64
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N55Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiedm4 View Post

Thank you for the direction, much appreciated. First step is to reconnect all sensors on Monday and see what happens. I hope it's not the flash, as I would need to ship it to NY again via FedEx and wait for it to come back. I'm really hoping its a connection issue.
See if it misfires without jb4 connected. Then you know with all connectors stock it works or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 02:30 PM   #65
N55Nick
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Update - July 25

Update! Thank you for all your feedback, but still need help. Please see updated logs here:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=485491

- We changed all the plugs back to stock, no more misfires or error codes! The plugs that were recommended (NGK LKAR8A-9) cracked, so I think these are the wrong plugs for the car. Any feedback on what plugs we should be using?

- Ordered the EWG connector cable for the JB4, should be here in a couple of days.

- Did another run on MAP0 - No errors, but also no log readings on "FF" parameter. The FF connector was not connected properly, so we moved it to the fuel rails and cleared the codes.

- Did two more runs, on MAP0, one on MAP2. No misfires or errors, but car feels slower than stock. I still suspect the JB4 isn't connected properly. Any feedback based on new logs?

- Confirmed with Enzo that bench flash without JB4 (or just MAP0) will run stock boost level. JB4 needed to increase boost.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #66
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55Nick View Post
Update! Thank you for all your feedback, but still need help. Please see updated logs here:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=485491

- We changed all the plugs back to stock, no more misfires or error codes! The plugs that were recommended (NGK LKAR8A-9) cracked, so I think these are the wrong plugs for the car. Any feedback on what plugs we should be using?

- Ordered the EWG connector cable for the JB4, should be here in a couple of days.

- Did another run on MAP0 - No errors, but also no log readings on "FF" parameter. The FF connector was not connected properly, so we moved it to the fuel rails and cleared the codes.

- Did two more runs, on MAP0, one on MAP2. No misfires or errors, but car feels slower than stock. I still suspect the JB4 isn't connected properly. Any feedback based on new logs?

- Confirmed with Enzo that bench flash without JB4 (or just MAP0) will run stock boost level. JB4 needed to increase boost.
Maybe Mike@N54Tuning.com can help...
Appreciate 0