F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Thinking of getting an iwatch 3!
ARMA SPEED

03-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
Mr Burt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 340

Thinking of getting an iwatch 3!

As the title, thoughts!
I am a runner and cyclist so have the Garmin back up devices for bike and run, just like the look and feel of the watch and hopefully it can do at least the run/heart rate thing.
I get all the text message type stuff but would like a real smart/fitness watch device on top of the usual iPhone compatibility.
Obviously it all has to be Strava compatible.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Exactly the same as my thread from a few months ago!

Basically i played around with it a bit, then started to get annoyed that it stopped notifications coming through my phone, tried running with it and it was crap, got annoyed having to charge yet another device every night, felt sad that I wasn’t wearing my Tag I paid £2k for, so I stopped wearing it for a few weeks and realised I didn’t miss it at all so I sold it.

Then spent the money on a racing wheel setup instead!
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2018, 10:43 PM   #3
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

I had one for a while. At first liked it and then started noticing all the shortcomings. Sold it and bought a Garmin. Much better. Still only use it for fitness stuff as have an Omega for everyday.
      03-17-2018, 05:21 AM   #4
Spacer
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i, becoming an X3!

Garage List
To give the other side of the fence view, I’ve had one for a while, and quite like it. It’s not perfect, but works well for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 05:43 AM   #5
deleted_user
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post

Basically i played around with it a bit, then started to get annoyed that it stopped notifications coming through my phone, tried running with it and it was crap, got annoyed having to charge yet another device every night, felt sad that I wasn’t wearing my Tag I paid £2k for, so I stopped wearing it for a few weeks and realised I didn’t miss it at all so I sold it.

Same here! I also forgot to charge it sometimes meaning i ended up using it as a fancy clock on my desk whilst charging.. not the exact purpose of a watch! Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 06:48 AM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_F30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post

Basically i played around with it a bit, then started to get annoyed that it stopped notifications coming through my phone, tried running with it and it was crap, got annoyed having to charge yet another device every night, felt sad that I wasnÂ’t wearing my Tag I paid £2k for, so I stopped wearing it for a few weeks and realised I didnÂ’t miss it at all so I sold it.

Same here! I also forgot to charge it sometimes meaning i ended up using it as a fancy clock on my desk whilst charging.. not the exact purpose of a watch! Lol
Yep, it's just a PITA really
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #7
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

I bought the Fitbit Ionic. 4 days battery life, I seem to get a bit longer, and all the fitness stuff you need.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

I don't know if the heart rate monitor is better on the 3 than the 2, but I find it pretty poor on the 2. There's times when I'm exercising hard and it's only recording 52-55 bpm. I'm actually looking at getting a compatible heart rate monitor.

I love changing the clock face to suit my mood (currently have Toy Story!) and like getting Sport and news headlines notifications through.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 09:22 AM   #9
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

I've had my version 1 for a couple of years now and wear it every day. I cycle with it, run with it and swim and have surfed with it on and haven't had an issue even though it's not supposed to be waterproof. I've got a charger by my bed and hang it on their every night. The only time it's a bit of a pain is taking another charger on holiday.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #10
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

My Garmin 935 battery lasts for over a week. It might not look as pretty as the Apple Watch but for running, hiking, swimming, golfing pretty much anything sports related I don't think it can be beat.
      03-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I'm a big tech guy, but I think the watch is just a step too much for me.

Lots seem to get them and move on after a while.

Having sold my Fenix though I am itching for a basic Garmin GPS watch again....just for running though.
      03-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #12
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

I've got the Garmin Vivoactive HR.

Strava compatible, HR zone training, has swimming, cycling, running on it, intervals, etc, etc. , can put apps for other sports on it. Receives text notifications from my phone.
Also does background HR monitoring, so you can see whether you're recovered ready for the next training session or not, or even if you're coming down with a cold.

Oh, and battery life is 4-6 days.

I like my iphone. But the watches are a gimmick too far, imo. Garmin in particular do the job far better.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #13
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Burt View Post
As the title, thoughts!
I am a runner and cyclist so have the Garmin back up devices for bike and run, just like the look and feel of the watch and hopefully it can do at least the run/heart rate thing.
I get all the text message type stuff but would like a real smart/fitness watch device on top of the usual iPhone compatibility.
Obviously it all has to be Strava compatible.
If you're a runner or cyclist then don't get the apple watch, garmin have the fitness trackers sewn up, not as pretty as the apple watch (there is no such thing as an iwatch) if you're interested in HR then really you want a strap, wrist based is ok but nowhere near as good as a strap.

I've got the old vivoactive hr (which I use with the 930XT) you get a good 10 days of battery or about 18 hours gps, accurately tracks runs, cycles and swimming as well as other activities.

the other thing to consider is what you can do with the data e.g. will you actually use the data for training and what sites can the data from an apple watch be uploaded to?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #14
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
I don't know if the heart rate monitor is better on the 3 than the 2, but I find it pretty poor on the 2. There's times when I'm exercising hard and it's only recording 52-55 bpm. I'm actually looking at getting a compatible heart rate monitor.

I love changing the clock face to suit my mood (currently have Toy Story!) and like getting Sport and news headlines notifications through.
It’s crap on the 3 as well, according to it I died twice on a 15 minute run! The gps is also crap, it thought I’d run through peoples houses!

Get a Garmin OP.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #15
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Hold out for the new fit bit
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #16
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

As mentioned depends on your budget and what you want to do. If it's just running get Garmin 235. A bit more sports get 735. Do everything get a Fenix or 935. They really are brilliant. Dont get a Apple
Watch for sports tracking.
      03-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #17
andyzdeman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Auto

Of course the garmin is good for sports tracking. That’s it’s specific limited purpose.

The Apple Watch does 100s of things. Saying it is no good because it needs charged is a fairly useless review.

I’m assuming most of you are either not tech savvy and/or over 40.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 06:42 PM   #18
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyzdeman View Post
Of course the garmin is good for sports tracking. That’s it’s specific limited purpose.

The Apple Watch does 100s of things. Saying it is no good because it needs charged is a fairly useless review.

I’m under 40 and very tech savvy (although I fail to see what difference age makes), and I can confirm there is nothing the AW can do that an iPhone can’t, and at least an iPhone screen is big enough to see things on!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #19
andyzdeman
Private First Class
Rep

Apple Watch series 3 with cellular doesn’t need the iPhone to function and is a standalone device. Means you can stream the whole of the Apple Music library to your wrist with wireless earphones. Most serious athletes would take it for that alone.

Ok off the top of my head - things an Apple Watch can do that iPhone can’t:

Constant accurate heart rate monitoring. Whoever isn’t getting this clearly isn’t wearing it correctly or has a defective unit.

Taptic and motion activated control e.g. silence timer alarm by tapping palm on wrist (useful for gym workout timing)

Tons of little useful things most people don’t know like it works as remote viewer and shutter for iPhone camera.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #20
andyzdeman
Private First Class
Rep

Also you you’re complaining the AW screen is too small to see and you fail to see the relevance of age?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 07:18 AM   #21
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:

OP says they are a runner and cyclist, battery in the AW will last around a day to 36 hours without GPS usage if the OP wants to use it for tracking a run / cycle they will unlikely get a day of use from it this means it's no use for the OP

What's been said is that it's no good for the OP and in general it's no where near as good for those that want to track activities (this is more true for those that do longer activities e.g. if you're running 5-10km a day then you'll probably get a day of charge with the gps).

For those that want an informed review of the AW3 check our rays write up

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/...rt-review.html
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #22
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Apple Watch series 3 with cellular doesn’t need the iPhone to function and is a standalone device. Means you can stream the whole of the Apple Music library to your wrist with wireless earphones. Most serious athletes would take it for that alone.

Ok off the top of my head - things an Apple Watch can do that iPhone can’t:

Constant accurate heart rate monitoring. Whoever isn’t getting this clearly isn’t wearing it correctly or has a defective unit.

Taptic and motion activated control e.g. silence timer alarm by tapping palm on wrist (useful for gym workout timing)

Tons of little useful things most people don’t know like it works as remote viewer and shutter for iPhone camera.
The heart rate monitoring is crap, it’s a well known problem, it needs a BT chest strap monitor, which you can do with an iPhone.

Alarms vibrate on iPhone too, get an arm strap iPhone holder, sorted.

Agree the remote iphone viewer/shutter is handy if you like to take selfies, and have somewhere to stand the iphone, probably easier to just ask someone to take the photo for you though.
Appreciate 0