F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Finally! BMW Office (iDrive Email & Text Message) Integration with iPhone on iOS6
GetBMWParts

10-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #177
Sauveur
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328xi |2013

Thanks. I figured it was something like that. I dont have the enhanced blue tooth.

The Nav pavkage in canada does not include that apparntly.

Anyway, not the end of the world.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #178
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
I thought enhanced Bluetooth was an integral part of the Nav package?
Yes, for the 2013 model, no for the 2012 model.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #179
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Ahh I see. BMW really do make tech difficult to get your head around!
      10-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #180
CESIUM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 X30i Msport, Carbon/Oyster

Is there a way to ad Enhanced bluetooth yet through BMW? Or just aftermarket ways? And if I do that would it be "wiped" out when I bring it in to BMW for servicing and they do a major software update?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #181
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESIUM View Post
Is there a way to ad Enhanced bluetooth yet through BMW? Or just aftermarket ways? And if I do that would it be "wiped" out when I bring it in to BMW for servicing and they do a major software update?
You need to add the appropriate combox. I don't think BMW will do it, but you can always ask your SA.

For aftermarket, you'd have to ask the guys at Bimmertech. My guess would be that they would update your VO so that future software updates would not touch the add-on.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #182
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Yes, for the 2013 model, no for the 2012 model.

BJ
Plus, apparently there are 2 types of comboxes too. Configuration rules vary by both year and country. Very messy.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #183
Nitz99
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW F30 335i Sport

Has anyone successfully been able to use the call back option when reading a text message? After I receive a text and open it using idrive and select the little phone icon in the left hand column and try calling the contact back it rings a couple of times and tells me the call cannot be completed as dialed.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #184
Gift2self
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 Msport EBII RWD 6SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can258 View Post
How did you get the email to work. I just updated idrive to latest and also i have the ios6 final release. I can see the imessages on the screen but i still cant see the emails eventhough i upgraded everything. What may be the cause of this ?
It just worked after setting up as follows... along with doing the new update. Hope this helps.

1. Update to UPD01005 - get it here http://************/8rfueat
Your car must have the Enhanced Bluetooth option for the Office functionality to work.

2. On the iDrive go to Telephone > Configure Bluetooth and turn on Office.

3. On the iDrive go to Menu and select Office > Messages > and select All messages to be displayed.

4. On the iPhone go to Settings > Messages and make sure Messages are set to Send and Receive.

5. On the iPhone go to Settings > Notifications > Messages and make sure notifications are on, and set to View in Lock Screen. I haven't tested every combination for the notification settings, but I have mine set as follows.
- Notification Center is On
- Show 5 Recent Items
- Alert Style is Banners
- Badge App Icon is On
- Show Preview is On
- View in Lock Screen is On

6. On the iPhone go to Settings > Notifications > Mail and make sure notifications are on, and set to View in Lock Screen. Settings are same as number 5.

7. On the iPhone go to Settings > Bluetooth > and click on the BMW blue arrow link and make sure Show Notifications is selected.

8. To see the messages in the car your phone must be in the locked screen mode - so to test, send an email or text from another phone or computer.

I've only tested this on the iPhone 5 and will test with other iPhones later. So far it seems to be pretty reliable with this configuration and firmware update. The BMW firmware states this update is for the new iPhone 5 but does not mention iOS 6 in anyway. Not sure if there is a compatibility difference with other iPhones running iOS 6.
Thanks for the reply i tried everything step by step i still cant get it to work. I have uploaded a picture to this link can you check out what "additional phone" means and do i also have to tick it ?

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A65qXGF1jl5eX
Same here, I followed all these steps and its the same as before: texts come in, emails don't. Hopefully an ios6 update down the road addresses this.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #185
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitz99 View Post
Has anyone successfully been able to use the call back option when reading a text message? After I receive a text and open it using idrive and select the little phone icon in the left hand column and try calling the contact back it rings a couple of times and tells me the call cannot be completed as dialed.
I noticed that today -- it's dialing some crazy number instead of the phone number associated with the contact. This makes no sense to me because it shows the name of the contact associated with the phone number that sent the text. Why it can't dial THAT number is something I can't figure out.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #186
Decepax
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive; Z4; X3

Thanks for posting detailed instructions. This is not easy to set up. I am wondering if anyone is actually getting an alert tone or equivalent to tell you a text or email has arrived? The only indication I have seen is an envelope icon show up-- not too obvious when focused on driving. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #187
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepax View Post
Thanks for posting detailed instructions. This is not easy to set up. I am wondering if anyone is actually getting an alert tone or equivalent to tell you a text or email has arrived? The only indication I have seen is an envelope icon show up-- not too obvious when focused on driving. Thanks.
That happened to me. You need to disable Bluetooth Audio to hear the text tones from your phone. If have it enabled, the phone thinks it's sending all audio to the car, so it sits silent, and the car has no capacity to give an alert tone itself, just the visual envelope, so you get no "ding".

Sounds unintuitive, I know, but it's how you fix it. Disable Bluetooth Audio on the iDrive Media > Your iPhone Name screen.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #188
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Ok i got a new 4s and i have to click on messages, play to read it out loud? it wont appear or play automatically?
      10-31-2012, 01:07 AM   #189
rs3tier
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift2self View Post
Same here, I followed all these steps and its the same as before: texts come in, emails don't. Hopefully an ios6 update down the road addresses this.
I am not sure if this has already been covered in this thread (sorry, I am short on time to go check). For me to get email working, every time I get into the car I have to wait until the blue tooth connection is established - then go into the iPhone / settings / notifications / mail - and toggle the value of "Show x unread items" ... i.e. if it is on 10, change to 5

If I do the above step before the phone has bound with the car - then I don't get any email at all.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #190
Jasper505
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i Msport

I found this on the Apple Iphone 5 support page. I'm pretty sure the issue is with Apple's implementation of Bluetooth Message Access Profile:
__________________________________________________ _
It depends entirely on the phone you are using.

My research of the Bluetooth Message Access Profile indicates that iOS6.x only supports SMS from a GSM phone (typically one that uses a SIM card like AT&T). It will support MMS as well, but I have not yet tested it.

IOS 6 does not support eMail messages over Bluetooth, nor does it support SMS messaging from a CDMA network (Sorry Verizon users)

I am a Quality Assurance Engineer testing the capability and reliabilty of Bluetooth products for a wide range of commercial customers. My information is derived directly from the Bluetooth SIG.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #191
scou3821
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 328i

iOS 6.0.1 and Office integration

After updating my iPhone 4 with iOS 6.0.1 I have noticed that:

1. For SMS messages, they will come through on the iDrive even when the iPhone screen is not locked.

2. SMS messages will still come through without changing the number of unread items to show after each reconnection.

3. For e-mails I could get these using iOS 6 but they always came through to the text message icon - that still happens. However on re-connecting, e-mails stop coming through. I haven't tested it completely but I think they come through only after changing the number of unread items to show. So basically no change for e-mail from iOS 6.0.

I don't know why I keep torturing myself with this iOS 6 stuff and iDrive Office, but I do.
Delivered: 328i Sport, Mineral grey, black leather, aluminium trim/red accent, Comfort access, Rear view camera, Sunroof, heated front seats, high beam assist, lane change warning, surround view, parking assistant, xenons, professional nav, internet and more.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #192
scou3821
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 328i

According to Wikipedia, iOS 6.1 was released (in beta, it appears) on 12 November. Let's hope that this release fixes whatever Apple needs to fix to make Office work properly with iPhones.

The list of changes for iOS 6.1 does not mention any MAP changes, but then nor did the update for iOS 6.0.1, yet the behaviour of my phone with Office changed for the better after that update.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history
Delivered: 328i Sport, Mineral grey, black leather, aluminium trim/red accent, Comfort access, Rear view camera, Sunroof, heated front seats, high beam assist, lane change warning, surround view, parking assistant, xenons, professional nav, internet and more.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #193
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scou3821 View Post
According to Wikipedia, iOS 6.1 was released (in beta, it appears) on 12 November. Let's hope that this release fixes whatever Apple needs to fix to make Office work properly with iPhones.
Just for the record, there is nothing "broken" with the iPhone or iOS6 thus nothing needs to be "fixed".

Apple merely doesn't support the Bluetooth MAP protocol for email at this time. Should they choose to accept and enable it they will, but it appears they have a valid reason to not to right now.

It seems very doubtful that it will magically appear seeing that their own Bluetooth solution (Siri) doesn't read/reply to email either. When you see it appear for Siri one day, you'll then potentially see it for iDrive, not before.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #194
bmwrules
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Phytonic Blue X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
It just worked after setting up as follows... along with doing the new update. Hope this helps.

1. Update to UPD01005 - get it here http://************/8rfueat
Your car must have the Enhanced Bluetooth option for the Office functionality to work.

2. On the iDrive go to Telephone > Configure Bluetooth and turn on Office.

3. On the iDrive go to Menu and select Office > Messages > and select All messages to be displayed.

4. On the iPhone go to Settings > Messages and make sure Messages are set to Send and Receive.

5. On the iPhone go to Settings > Notifications > Messages and make sure notifications are on, and set to View in Lock Screen. I haven't tested every combination for the notification settings, but I have mine set as follows.
- Notification Center is On
- Show 5 Recent Items
- Alert Style is Banners
- Badge App Icon is On
- Show Preview is On
- View in Lock Screen is On

6. On the iPhone go to Settings > Notifications > Mail and make sure notifications are on, and set to View in Lock Screen. Settings are same as number 5.

7. On the iPhone go to Settings > Bluetooth > and click on the BMW blue arrow link and make sure Show Notifications is selected.

8. To see the messages in the car your phone must be in the locked screen mode - so to test, send an email or text from another phone or computer.

I've only tested this on the iPhone 5 and will test with other iPhones later. So far it seems to be pretty reliable with this configuration and firmware update. The BMW firmware states this update is for the new iPhone 5 but does not mention iOS 6 in anyway. Not sure if there is a compatibility difference with other iPhones running iOS 6.
I just got a 2013 335 yesterday and I've been trying to get the text and email stuff set up. I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.1. I have both Enhanced Bluetooth and BMW Apps. I've done of the the above steps and this is what I'm getting. When I get a new text I can see where the iDrive is updating for the new message. The area at the top of the iDrive screen where the time and current song are displayed starts to spin and when done it show the email/message icon. However when I go into messages via either the Office or Connected Drive. It shows nothing. What am I doing wrong?
Formerly Owned: 2001 Titanium Silver 330i,2004 Orient Blue 545i,2006 Titanium Silver 330i,2007 Montego Blue 335i Coupe,2010 Blue Water Metallic 128i Coupe,2013 Estoril Blue 335i M Sport,2012 Space Gray X5 xDrive35i Premium,2016 Estoril Blue M235,2017 Mineral White xDrive 35
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #195
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrules View Post
I just got a 2013 335 yesterday and I've been trying to get the text and email stuff set up. I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.1. I have both Enhanced Bluetooth and BMW Apps. I've done of the the above steps and this is what I'm getting. When I get a new text I can see where the iDrive is updating for the new message. The area at the top of the iDrive screen where the time and current song are displayed starts to spin and when done it show the email/message icon. However when I go into messages via either the Office or Connected Drive. It shows nothing. What am I doing wrong?
I found that, even though my text should appear under "all messages," I could only view it when I used the filter to see SMS messages. Might be worth a try.

Remember the system is transient. You'll have to send another text to the phone after it's all set up and ready.

Good luck.
      12-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #196
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

I think after reading all of this I will just wait on the SMS/email for the F30. It would be a nice feature but I will wait for future Apple OS updates.

I still use OS5 because in OS6 the Map Function using Google Maps is not as good and I like using it in my current set up. Let's see what happenes down the road.

Also, I see Bolt James got banned?? Why was that?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #197
rjc32000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335Xi M Sport 6MT

Wait, what?!? I hope that isn't true. I find his posts to be amongst the most helpful, knowledgable and informative on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro View Post
Also, I see Bolt James got banned?? Why was that?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #198
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc32000 View Post
Wait, what?!? I hope that isn't true. I find his posts to be amongst the most helpful, knowledgable and informative on this forum.
If you look under his name it says banned?????
Appreciate 0