F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Straight Forward? Yellow lights to white
GetBMWParts

09-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
zyad
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive

Straight Forward? Yellow lights to white

Looking through this section, there is a wealth of info on bulb replacement, but it's making my head spin.
Can someone provide some straight-forward advice to replace my DRL's, Low and High beams, and fogs all affordably to something with 6000K white colour (with links to sellers)?
As long as the bulbs are good quality (won't burn out in a few months), easy to install, and don't throw error messages.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
zyad
Rep

Please everyone... don't all answer at once... I can't keep up with all the options...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
v1k1ng01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyad View Post
Looking through this section, there is a wealth of info on bulb replacement, but it's making my head spin.
Can someone provide some straight-forward advice to replace my DRL's, Low and High beams, and fogs all affordably to something with 6000K white colour (with links to sellers)?
As long as the bulbs are good quality (won't burn out in a few months), easy to install, and don't throw error messages.

Your first option is to replace all your stock halogen bulbs with color tinted bulbs. You can get a good match to which color temperature you want, but because the blue bulbs are tinted they will throw less light, and will have reduced visibility. Ziza, Piaa, and pretty much every other bulb manufacture will make one that fit your vehicle. Try Amazon.com

You second option are to use gas mix halogen bulbs. They burn brighter and throw twice as much light as standard halogens, but they only last about a year. sylvania ZXE's, and Silver Star Ultra's are good, but Phillips also make a good one. Try Amazon.com

You third option are LED replacements. I would only use these for DTL's and fog's and led's though they may look nice aren't usually the most effective for lighting. Things to know is pay attention to the number of diodes on SMD led's. More maybe better but the quality of the diodes makes a big difference to. I recommend you look for high output or CREE Led's that use 25+watts and output at least 300 lumins. If it's less then the led will be flooded out by the sun in normal daylight and will no be visible. LED's also often cause error's if they aren't CANBUS and sometimes need resistors to prevent hyper flash on turn signals. Ebay is a good place to start to find these kinds of bulbs.

Your forth option is replacing stock bulbs with xenon HID's. I would only do this for low beams and high beams. Require ballasts when installed and use a lot of energy. They may also require modification to the stock housing to properly fit. xenon HID's in halogen housings are not DOT approved and my get you pulled over because if they aren't aimed correctly they can blind oncoming drivers. They also get really hot and my damage the plastic housing through use once installed. Ebay is a good place to start to find these kinds of bulbs.

Finally, you best option is a complete Xenon and LED housing retrofit install done by BMW or, BMW expert. Not the cheapest option but it's the one that's most effective in achieving the result you are looking for.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
zyad
Rep

Thank you very much for the summary.
My first priority is definitely improved visibility (followed by aesthetics). So it looks like Option 2 would be best.
I can't really justify the added expense of Option 5 (just not worth all that money), and Option 4 is just too much modification which might give BMW and excuse in case of electrical warranty issues .
Options 1 & 3 might be ok for colour, but brightness will suffer, which is anti-productive.

Now for option 2: My only fear is increased wattage therefor increased heat, which might damage / melt housings etc... I'll try to research a recommended watt limit.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
v1k1ng01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyad View Post
Thank you very much for the summary.
My first priority is definitely improved visibility (followed by aesthetics). So it looks like Option 2 would be best.
I can't really justify the added expense of Option 5 (just not worth all that money), and Option 4 is just too much modification which might give BMW and excuse in case of electrical warranty issues .
Options 1 & 3 might be ok for colour, but brightness will suffer, which is anti-productive.

Now for option 2: My only fear is increased wattage therefor increased heat, which might damage / melt housings etc... I'll try to research a recommended watt limit.
Option 2, only real drawback is the bulb life, and they don't get anywhere near as hot as what your thinking.

Silver Star Ultra's are the Brightest and most light throw for your money. Only thing is that though they aren't whiter then the stock bulbs they are still slightly yellowish. Pics:

Silver Star ZXE's are good as well, I ran them both in my Golf Diesel. They are slightly whiter but slightly not as bright. They cost more then the Ultra's though. I got them both from Amazon, I believe you need H7's.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
v1k1ng01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I also just saw these on BMWUSA.com, might be worth checking out.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
zyad
Rep

Thanks again Viking.... I'll look into those options.
Appreciate 0