F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > California lease and out of state registration help!!
Extreme Powerhouse

04-28-2014, 12:34 AM   #1
Mgap65
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

California lease and out of state registration help!!

Hello everybody! Im basically new to the forum, I've spent hours reading your posts and I have to say they have helped a lot!!
I am planning to lease my first BMW and actually my first new car ever! a 428i M-sport so naturally I'm starting to have bunch of questions!
First of all I live in El Paso, Texas where there is only one dealership and no other even close from me , I requested a quote from them and apparently they are not willing to negotiate, they told me that the only thing they can do for me is 500 off MSRP, which I think is not a good deal... Anyways, my only option is to lease the car out of state (most likely from David Aviles in California), so i have several questions regarding tax. Will i have to pay taxes in California or only in Texas? If I do have to pay taxes in California, I know that Texas gives us credit for the amount paid to another state, since we have to pay taxes on the cap cost of the vehicle , unlike California where you pay taxes on the leasing amount.
This is where my second question comes, if I roll in the taxes from California into my lease payments, would Texas give me the credit, since according to their webpage, they only give you credit for the amount paid at the time of registration, which technically would be the tax amount for 1 monthly payment? Im so confused by this since my plan is to roll in the CA tax into my lease payments, and then receive credit for that in Texas and pay the rest cash at the time of registration, so now idk if this would actually work . Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance to everyone!!
      04-28-2014, 01:11 AM   #2
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Normally when you purchase a car the taxes apply to the state its registered in. For instance I live in NH, if I bought a car from a Massachusetts dealer I don't pay the Mass taxes (though they may try to collect them from me if I were to register it in the state even years later). However I'm gladly FROM and no longer a resident OF the state of Kalifornia and I have no idea what the screwy tax laws they currently enforce. However your dealer would be able to let you know.

Why not try a dealer in say Houston or Dallas? Not exactly close to El Paso but still closer than California.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
MEL2272
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgap65
Hello everybody! Im basically new to the forum, I've spent hours reading your posts and I have to say they have helped a lot!!
I am planning to lease my first BMW and actually my first new car ever! a 428i M-sport so naturally I'm starting to have bunch of questions!
First of all I live in El Paso, Texas where there is only one dealership and no other even close from me , I requested a quote from them and apparently they are not willing to negotiate, they told me that the only thing they can do for me is 500 off MSRP, which I think is not a good deal... Anyways, my only option is to lease the car out of state (most likely from David Aviles in California), so i have several questions regarding tax. Will i have to pay taxes in California or only in Texas? If I do have to pay taxes in California, I know that Texas gives us credit for the amount paid to another state, since we have to pay taxes on the cap cost of the vehicle , unlike California where you pay taxes on the leasing amount.
This is where my second question comes, if I roll in the taxes from California into my lease payments, would Texas give me the credit, since according to their webpage, they only give you credit for the amount paid at the time of registration, which technically would be the tax amount for 1 monthly payment? Im so confused by this since my plan is to roll in the CA tax into my lease payments, and then receive credit for that in Texas and pay the rest cash at the time of registration, so now idk if this would actually work . Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance to everyone!!
If your buying from David he's going to do the lease with Texas taxes and he's going to hook you up you have nothing to worry about I bout a car from him and I live in nj he's taking care of all the information
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
Mgap65
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks to both of you! As i mentioned this will be my first new car so i still have a lot to learn haha!
Wow I've hears so many good things about David, so ill be glad to buy from him, not to mention he is a straight shooter when it comes to pricing!!
Again thanks for the replies!
      04-29-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
BMWDavid
United_States
Rep
Drives: MSport F30

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [0.00]
2005(sold but not f ...  [10.00]
2006 X3  [0.00]
1984 633csi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEL2272 View Post
If your buying from David he's going to do the lease with Texas taxes and he's going to hook you up you have nothing to worry about I bout a car from him and I live in nj he's taking care of all the information
+1 And thank you Mel! Couldn't have said it better
      04-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #6
BMWDavid
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 X3  [0.00]
1984 633csi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgap65 View Post
Thanks to both of you! As i mentioned this will be my first new car so i still have a lot to learn haha!
Wow I've hears so many good things about David, so ill be glad to buy from him, not to mention he is a straight shooter when it comes to pricing!!
Again thanks for the replies!
Thank you! I really appreciate your business and can't wait to see the pics when you take delivery of your new BMW!!!
      04-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #7
Mgap65
Private
United_States
Rep

Hello David! I think we had talked about a quote for a 328i M-sport and I told you that I was going to wait maybe till the end of the year but maaan!! That 4 series is absolutely beautiful!!
We might have to change the quote a little bit from a 328i to a 428i hahaha! Ill shoot you an email later this week to see if you could give me a new quote for that car!
Again Thanks a lot David! You're the man!!
      04-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
BMWDavid
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 X3  [0.00]
1984 633csi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgap65 View Post
Hello David! I think we had talked about a quote for a 328i M-sport and I told you that I was going to wait maybe till the end of the year but maaan!! That 4 series is absolutely beautiful!!
We might have to change the quote a little bit from a 328i to a 428i hahaha! Ill shoot you an email later this week to see if you could give me a new quote for that car!
Again Thanks a lot David! You're the man!!
Good to go
      05-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
Zoolander10z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Im in FL and leased through David in CA. I pay FL taxes on my lease since I registered the car in the state.

David was a pleasure to work with!
Appreciate 0