F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

05-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #1101
Jus71n
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D Sport F30 2013

Ok, so after much advice from Kitster (thanks) I've pulled the trigger and am going to upgrade my HU_ENTRY to NBT, I think I've about got my head around the phyical install, But i suspect I will need a full idiots guide to the FA coding....

One thing is bugging me now though, as I've read through the thread a little I see that there could be problems when car goes for servicing etc as far as software upgrades from BMW are concerned... My car is almost out of warranty but my plan was to sell the HU_ENTRY/DAB unit to part fund the upgrade? Doesn't the car just see that it has a radio unit installed but everything else is the same? I'm really looking to swap this unit out and just forget about it? is that going to be possible?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #1102
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Correct you might have problems if you dealer plugs in your VIN during service and there is a software upgrade bulletin, but for normal stuff like oil change etc etc I doubt your dealer would even notice it! Personally I've kept the old unit, it takes less than an 45mins to back it all + coding out so it not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 12:53 AM   #1103
PortugalEstorilBlue
Rep
Drives: 2013 N26 MSPORT

I am new and looking for a coder? Need it ASAP...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 04:30 AM   #1104
Jus71n
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Correct you might have problems if you dealer plugs in your VIN during service and there is a software upgrade bulletin, but for normal stuff like oil change etc etc I doubt your dealer would even notice it! Personally I've kept the old unit, it takes less than an 45mins to back it all + coding out so it not an issue.
Can't I just put my VIN in the new unit?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 04:36 AM   #1105
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Not really because the FSC code for the NBT is for donor VIN. Importing your VIN will render the navigator dead, unless you can get someone at BMW to issue a new FSC code for your VIN.... Highly unlikely because there is no retrofit option for Navigation.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 02:50 AM   #1106
Jus71n
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not really because the FSC code for the NBT is for donor VIN. Importing your VIN will render the navigator dead, unless you can get someone at BMW to issue a new FSC code for your VIN.... Highly unlikely because there is no retrofit option for Navigation.
What about changing VIN for dealer visits, then returning it to that of the donor car once it's home?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 04:36 AM   #1107
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Don't think that will work as you have changed your VO / FA (adding 609). Your car came with HU_ENTRY, so any updates for that will be flashed up by the dealership and will certainly fail to update. Hence the reason I'm just going to replace the older kit for services.....I drive the car so little that it's only had a single oil service in the 2.5 years I've had it, so that means you rarely need to switch back.

If you're about to go out of warranty then you might not care
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:04 AM   #1108
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I can confirm.

Took my F30 in for an oil change and to replace a rattling exhaust. I had my retrofitted NBT, Touch controller and M Sport Steering wheel with paddles and they didn't say a thing lol
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 09:05 AM   #1109
cedchung
Lieutenant
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25, 2014 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vithy View Post
What about your fem/gw and rem modules? are they also updated to the same level as NBT?
Sorry I did not see your message.
Actually no. I did not update FEM and REM.
Could this be causing the problem?
      05-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #1110
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 328xi

Update all the modules if you can, but When you update FEM, your NBT will update fine. I have had a friends car do the same, It wouldn't take NBT/CAFD injection process when we his FEM was on a low ilevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedchung View Post
Sorry I did not see your message.
Actually no. I did not update FEM and REM.
Could this be causing the problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 04:58 AM   #1111
smilo
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F26 Sport M-Pack

Hi guys,
One more NBT retrofited Thanks to you all and this formidable Bimmers community

Otherwise, I have coded the new NBT, but I think I did some mistakes (as it was my first BMW coding )
After coding, I see in the screen EXACTLY what I had on my old business iDrive: small image 6.5" (black on the right of screen), all features I had... But at least, sound works ! (doesn't work before).
I made some researches about this coding and I found this interesting topic:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=52
As mine is retrofited, it is said that I need the NBT original VIN, which I don't have... (just bought on eBay..)
There is an alternative for this ?
I also have a question about NBT features: these depend of FSC initialy on the HU ? or you can install what you want without this depends on the initial HU features ?

FYI, I also got the touch controller, but I didn't installed it. Also need to make wiring, I know it's to pins 9 & 11, but how about mounting the controller connector ?
Thank you very much again
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 05:52 AM   #1112
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

That link is dead.

What features are you referring to? You need a FSC code for the maps and 6NR Apps. You should have the FSC code in your NBT otherwise your navigation wouldn't work. As for the 6NR Apps, it depends on if the original owner specified the option.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #1113
kabamaru
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f20 ed

Today i solved the mystery of the not working usb. I had bought a new nbt usb cable with the usb connector but i connected it to the green connector of the nbt. Connecting it to either the beige one or the dark yellow (next to the green) works fine. I connected it to the dark yellow and put it in the glovebox.
Also the seller had sent me by mistake a usb cable without connector. I connected it to the beige connector of the nbt and then run the wire under the trim of the idrive controller and used the original usb connector in the armrest. It works fine too.
Initially i shaved the original white usb connector and put it in the nbt. Then i rotated the usb connector in the armrest 180 degrees but it didn't work. I don't know how it worked to some people in this way.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 06:21 AM   #1114
smilo
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F26 Sport M-Pack

Get back BMW Online After a mishandling

Hi guys,
I need your help please. After retrofiting to NBT, I made some coding to make it operational. I had activated Office, BMW ConnectedDrive + BMW online & Apps (deezer, tweeter, etc..)

Yesterday morning, I tried to add other features, but now I lost BMW online - I just have ConnectedDrive with teleservice inside (calling numbers) !! I tried lot of coding from begining:
VO code FA with 6NR onto HU_NBT
Change FDL: ONLINE Aktic
etc...
Nothing makes Online&Apps working..
I spent more than 7 hours on the car yesterday to try lot of configuration... nothing

What makes me angry is that I made it the first time very very easily ! just 6NR + FDL ONLINE Aktiv...

I'm sure I make just a little mistake somewhere during operations: Vithy speaks about coding NBT twice ? after that, edit FDL and still code it twice

Please can you help me with a manipulation from ZERO to get back BMW Online ?

Thank you very much
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #1115
cedchung
Lieutenant
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25, 2014 F30

Does anyone know what this "arrow" icon is?
Attached Images

05-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #1116
Nevermind34
Rep
Drives: 316i 01/14

Teleservices missing

Hi everyone,

I just finished retrofitting a HU_NBT coming from Entry (MF Date of my car is 12/13, MF of NBT is also 12/13), no touch controller but a combox in trunk.

Using a CAN Filter from Bimmertuning I managed to get everything working including Navi, BT, Audio Streaming, Apps, Office etc.

During coding process I had to specify Telematics_ECU to NICHT_AKTIV unless I had a faulty GPS signal with my external GPS Aerial Receiver glued to the back of the Display. I assume the NBT now uses the build in Compass, Gyro und the attached GPS, the signal I get is very precise and the arrow is shown.

I could be happy, BUT:

Before retrofitting I had Teleservices in the connected Drive menu and I could remote control my car via iPhone. Now there is no entry in the menu for this feature and iPhone says, the car is not responding, I think this is because of the "missing" combox connection.

Is there any way to Re-Retrofit this feature ? I tried to connect the combox USB cable from the trunk to the light green connector on the NBT, also rotated it in any direction, but nothing happened. The Donor car used to have this feature for sure. Perhaps it's a coding issue ? Apps are working fine...

Please excuse my bad english I'm from Germany...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #1117
tomsab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

Did you also re-Route your microphone cable and the bluetooth antenna?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #1118
Nevermind34
Rep

Yes, bluetooth antenne and mic cable from the combox in the trunk to the front and both is working fine... The eCall feature from the combox is still working too as I did not interrupt the connection between the mic and the combox completely.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #1119
tomsab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

Das klingt gut; habe "leider" auch ne Combox verbaut und möchte nur ungern um die Features wie Ecall verzichten. Also hast Du einfach ein zusätzliches Kabelpaar verlegt und die Originale Mikrofonverbindung angezapft?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 12:24 AM   #1120
Nevermind34
Rep

Teleservices missing

Exactly,

I spliced the mic cables in the trunk and rerouted them to the front using the AUX wires (I never used them until now). Accidentally I triggered an eCall and was seamlessly connected to Munich and a guy was explaining to me that I have to be more careful with the eCall Button. The good thing about it: I asked him if he could understand me cleary enough and the answer was: "Yes, why ?"

But back to my question: does anybody have an idea concerning the Teleservices issue ?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #1121
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermind34 View Post
Exactly,

I spliced the mic cables in the trunk and rerouted them to the front using the AUX wires (I never used them until now). Accidentally I triggered an eCall and was seamlessly connected to Munich and a guy was explaining to me that I have to be more careful with the eCall Button. The good thing about it: I asked him if he could understand me cleary enough and the answer was: "Yes, why ?"

But back to my question: does anybody have an idea concerning the Teleservices issue ?
I've installed NBT to a 2014 before and we just did a line tap on the emulator from pins 17 and 22 on the Emulator and routed that to the mic through the A Pillar.

Do you have two mics or on just one? Because the vehicle we installed it to only had one and when we press the SOS button, it works but the person on the other end could not hear us.

To answer your question, I don't think it's possible to get Assist to fully work with NBT because your Telematics connection is coming from the combox and not a TCB which it should have. NBT was not designed to work with combox in the first place. Have you tried doing a BMW Assist update on the Connected Drive menu?

It's weird though, on my factory NBT2 on my F23, I have concierge services so every time I call them, they just say "Ok sir, whenever you have any questions please press the SOS button".
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #1122
Nevermind34
Rep

Teleservices missing

That's confusing. I got a combox with telematics, thats for sure. This device contains a SIM Card married with my VIN. I think I do NOT have a Tele Communication Box (TCB). NBT seems to be incompatible with telematics combox ? Is it possible to retrofit a TCB on USB port 3?

If I update Assist services an eCall is triggered but no update is done and after that, the item is greyed out in the menu until deep sleep of the vehicle .

That's so sad, I really do not want to miss the Assist services...

About the mic: I only got one and the call center agent can understand me clearly. I just connected the AUX wires in the trunk to the mic wiring at the big white connector coming out of the combox and connected these AUX wires in the front to the harness of the CAN filter module.
Appreciate 0