F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > TVs
GetBMWParts

05-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #45
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

I'll take the one one the left, and right.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #46
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I have to agree, I got an 5 yr old 60" sony DLP which is the best TV I current have in the house, well the sharp 60" quattron is close. Sony just makes very good TV.

What most people does not realize Sony has been and still is the standard in profession video production, they have the purest color and accuracy of any TV or Monitor on the market. I had a 27" Sony Studio Monitor which I pick up for next to nothing which was $3000 new back in the 90's and sold it recently for more than I paid for it and for a Std Def TV it was as good as new tv today.
People hate on DLP, but they produce a very good picture with good color reproduction, zero motion blur, and very bright with good blacks.

DLP isn't exactly thin, but most people end up putting their lovely flat panel on a stand 2 feet away from the wall anyway.

My 82" Mitsu picture quality rivals anything I've seen, besides the Pioneer Kuro and very high end LED displays. I don't think I've seen a better picture than my Mitsu with Blu-Ray. Naturally, a bad signal to my Mitsu will be more obvious because the screen is so large, so you definitely need a good source.

They are also cheap to maintain...new bulb = practically new TV.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #47
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
People hate on DLP, but they produce a very good picture with good color reproduction, zero motion blur, and very bright with good blacks.

DLP isn't exactly thin, but most people end up putting their lovely flat panel on a stand 2 feet away from the wall anyway.

My 82" Mitsu picture quality rivals anything I've seen, besides the Pioneer Kuro and very high end LED displays. I don't think I've seen a better picture than my Mitsu with Blu-Ray. Naturally, a bad signal to my Mitsu will be more obvious because the screen is so large, so you definitely need a good source.

I find it interesting that people hate on DLP's for the "Rainbow Effect", which I have NEVER seen. Then, the reason I hate LCD TV's (of any kind), is the damn "Stop Motion" (or "Soap Opera Effect"). It just drives me NUTS, but I know people who just don't see it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #48
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
I find it interesting that people hate on DLP's for the "Rainbow Effect", which I have NEVER seen. Then, the reason I hate LCD TV's (of any kind), is the damn "Stop Motion" (or "Soap Opera Effect"). It just drives me NUTS, but I know people who just don't see it.
I can't see the rainbow effect either and no one I know can either. Most of the DLP hate is driven by the size and that it's not thin and sexy. Silly, because most people don't mount their flat panels.

LCD always looks strange to me and unless it's a higher end display, the Soap Opera Effect drives me nuts. It's especially present in movies and is borderline unwatchable. DLP looks the most "real" to me and it isn't surprising since it's essentially a projected image on a mirror.

High end DLP projectors are still used in many movie theaters...because it's awesome.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #49
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
LCD always looks strange to me and unless it's a higher end display, the Soap Opera Effect drives me nuts.
120hz and 240hz TV's

i'll never go back to junk 60hz TV's ever again.....
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #50
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

So tomorrow I'm stopping at Best Buy to check out the 40" Samsung LED, 1080, Smart, 120Hz model #UN40F6300AFXZA. Getting Smart and not 3D cuz I watch Youtube regularly. Any recommendations for other TVs in same price and size I should look at while I'm there? Going in my room about 8ft away from my face and must not generate a lot of heat.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #51
Bingobimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 n54

Garage List
Please stay away from the extended warranties! Worked at an electronics store in college and they are just straight cash for the company. No one who worked there thought they were worth it. Even worse one guy lied about what they covered...

2011 e92 335iSSSS Black
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 05:32 AM   #52
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

The only time I considered an extended warranty was when I bought my Pioneer plasmas. I paid a ridiculous amount of money for my first one and the second one a lot less but still more than what most would spend on a TV. In the end I decided not to purchase an extended warranty on either. The Pioneer Elite 141FD came with a 2 year warranty anyways. I did buy an extended warranty once. I haggled with a guy at Best Buy over a Sony 32" TV and with the discounting AND the extended warranty, I was still making out like a bandit. I guess he did the deal to at least get something out of it for reducing the price sort of I scratch your back you scratch mine.

Another not well known perk is if you have a credit card which provides free extended warranty coverage. There are exclusions so you'll have to check the terms. But my American Express credit card will automatically extend your warranty on electronics (among other things) the same amount as the original manufacturer's warranty up to a maximum of an additional year of coverage. I only buy any electronics now through my American Express. I also get cash reward points by doing so. Any ways, I have used the extended warranty once and the accidental loss/damage/theft part of the coverage once. Both times American Express covered my claim with no hassle. The first one was for a very expensive office printer I have. I just had to provide a copy of the manufacturer's warranty and the billing statement showing I paid for the entire item with my card. The printer was an Xerox Phaser 8560MFP/D and AMEX paid for the $940 repair. The other item I accidentally broke. Called up AMEX about it and since it was within the 90 day period from purchase for the accidental damage/loss/theft, they covered it to the tune of $120.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #53
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I have to agree, I got an 5 yr old 60" sony DLP which is the best TV I current have in the house, well the sharp 60" quattron is close. Sony just makes very good TV.

What most people does not realize Sony has been and still is the standard in profession video production, they have the purest color and accuracy of any TV or Monitor on the market. I had a 27" Sony Studio Monitor which I pick up for next to nothing which was $3000 new back in the 90's and sold it recently for more than I paid for it and for a Std Def TV it was as good as new tv today.

I've replaced the light bulb and color wheel on my Mitsu 82" and I'm just about done with it. We moved to a new home and the room that it is in now is way too bright thus the picture suffers quite a bit. I'm going to start looking at 70"+ LED/plasmas for daily TV viewing.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #54
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbark View Post
I've replaced the light bulb and color wheel on my Mitsu 82" and I'm just about done with it. We moved to a new home and the room that it is in now is way too bright thus the picture suffers quite a bit. I'm going to start looking at 70"+ LED/plasmas for daily TV viewing.
DLP needs to be in a media room or darker room...the 82 inch Mitsubishi is bright but the screen is reflective.
Appreciate 0