F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Anyone fitted any upgraded brake components?
GetBMWParts

04-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #89
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Little project for me this weekend.....
Nice one, will be interesting to see how it works out.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #90
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN
Little project for me this weekend.....
Assuming they're EBC yellow stuff pads then Gordon?

Interested to hear how you get on...
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #91
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Assuming they're EBC yellow stuff pads then Gordon?

Interested to hear how you get on...
They are indeed. Nearly fell off my chair with BMW's sensor price
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #92
mcdokika
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 CP

Quote:
They are indeed. Nearly fell off my chair with BMW's sensor price
I want to order also these yellowstuff pads . Do you have to have new sensors for that ???
      04-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #93
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdokika View Post
I want to order also these yellowstuff pads . Do you have to have new sensors for that ???
Only if your current sensors have been tripped. They are dual stage, so even if you don't have the replace pads light on the dash they may still be no good.

Obviously if you look at them and they show no sign of damage then they're fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #94
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Only if your current sensors have been tripped. They are dual stage, so even if you don't have the replace pads light on the dash they may still be no good.

Obviously if you look at them and they show no sign of damage then they're fine.
Mine are fine...the sensors I mean

Rears done, fronts tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #95
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post

Mine are fine...the sensors I mean

Rears done, fronts tomorrow.
Awesome, that's about £60 saved!

Although I managed to get a used mint condition front sensor for £8 from eBay!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 06:41 AM   #96
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE:

Always difficult with brakes as it takes a while to bed them in and by the time they do you have often lost the reference feel from the old ones. However have had the EBC Yellowstuff in and bedded in, so thought I would share the views.

So far very happy, the friction levels are clearly superior to the standard BMW items. They are an organic material pad rather than the ceramic type that BMW supply, however, the wheel dust is not significantly more as is usual with an organic.

I have had a few squeals but this is when inching with brakes applied very lightly. Now this might start a thread by some owners, but not me, I can live with that. Under heavy braking they are noticeably smoother and quieter than the BMW sets. I don't get the hum when standing on the pedal like before, but then again you can't stand on the pedal as it locks up pretty sharpish....in fact it catches out the ABS momentarily on occasion.

Initial bite? Well not really improved things here, I sense there is a 'soft start' built into the BMW braking system, and the pads have not changed that. What you do get is the first bite after being a bit 'bitey'. I quite like the general feel. I am having a little issue with the extra assistance (brake pre-tension or whatever it is called) given by the anti collision system (part of active cruise control). What happens is when it pre-tensions and you hit the brakes, it stands you on the nose. I can of course turn this function off, but will live with it for a while longer.

So in conclusion, the Yellowstuff's are a great streetable pad, with no adverse 'cold brake' syndrome. They add massive capability to the brakes being able to brake harder with less brake pedal pressure, but ultimately won't stop the car any better than the stock sets.

Warning: they might be a little too sensitive for many drivers and don't give the graduation that you get with the stock set.

No idea on life expectancy yet.

Track day tomorrow will give them a proper test.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 06:53 AM   #97
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 LCI Monte Carlo Blue

How many miles under these so far?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 06:55 AM   #98
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTP1980 View Post
How many miles under these so far?
1000 at a guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 07:03 AM   #99
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't think they'll be at their maximum yet. The fancy bedding in surface must be gone by now but in their current state they are at their minimum surface contact area (on account of the 'V' shape of the material). Judging by my experience with the Ultimax 2's on my S4, which were utterly superb considering their lack of performance focus, you have much more to come in the next 1500 miles, I think. I look forwards to hearing about them.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 07:11 AM   #100
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I don't think they'll be at their maximum yet. The fancy bedding in surface must be gone by now but in their current state they are at their minimum surface contact area (on account of the 'V' shape of the material). Judging by my experience with the Ultimax 2's on my S4, which were utterly superb considering their lack of performance focus, you have much more to come in the next 1500 miles, I think. I look forwards to hearing about them.
Erm....you wouldn't say that if you saw how they have been treated
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #101
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Will be interesting to see how they get on tomorrow. I'm awaiting my revised revised front braided hoses from HEL so will be on standard fluid still, which is a shame as was looking forward to seeing how they were going to be.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 08:06 AM   #102
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Will be interesting to see how they get on tomorrow. I'm awaiting my revised revised front braided hoses from HEL so will be on standard fluid still, which is a shame as was looking forward to seeing how they were going to be.
Indeed....I am still on standard fluid too, which is the only niggle I have about tomorrow. Car is 2 years old in June, so brake fluid is in the 'time to change' window. Fingers crossed it doesn't have much water in it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #103
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 EBII F36 430d M Sport

Not from the UK but thought I'd share anyway
I am also hitting the track tomorrow and have done basic upgrades to the brakes system (standard OEM 335i system - 340mm front rotors): Pagid RS29 pads at the front, StopTech Street Performance pads at the rear, ECS tuning SS lines and high temperature fluid.

Pics of lines and Pagids in place:

As it can be seen on the picture, Pagids do not come the extra little weights (anti-vibration and squealing?) like the OEM pads but it does not seem to make any difference.

Resistance to fading seems to have improved (in fact, I was not yet able to get the brakes to fade, but I have not reached track speeds on open road either...). Full braking power can be applied quicker, but is still controllable enough to avoid the wheels to lock/ABS to jump in. Pagids are known for squealing a lot, but it only really happens when they start to run hot. I also know that it is not advised to use race pads on the street, but they perform just as well as the stock pads at low temperature.
I am eager to see how this setup will work on the track. The DE takes place at Atlanta Motorsports Park that is a relatively slow track and is not very tough on the brakes. If everything goes well, the next step will be Road Atlanta.

I'll report after the week end

Last edited by ATLBlue; 05-01-2015 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #104
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBlue View Post
I am also hitting the track tomorrow and have done basic upgrades to the brake system (standard OEM 335i system - 340mm from rotors): Pagid RS29 pads at the front, StopTech Street Performance pads at the rear, ECS tuning SS lines and high temperature fluid.

PAs it can be seen on the picture, Pagids do not come the extra little weights (anti-vibration and squealing?) like the OEM pads but it does not seem to make any difference.

Resistance to fading seems to have improved (in fact, I was not yet able to get the brakes to fade, but I have not reached track speeds on open road either...). Full braking power can be applied quicker, but is still controllable enough to avoid the wheels to lock/ABS to jump in. Pagids are known for squealing a lot, but it only really happens when they start to run hot. I also know that it is not advised to use race pads on the street, but they perform just as well as the stock pads at low temperature.
I am eager to see how this setup will work on the track. The DE takes place at Atlanta Motorsports Park that is a relatively slow track and is not very tough on the brakes. If everything goes well, the next step will be Road Atlanta.

All polite comments from around the world welcomed here!

Just wondering how the pedal 'feel' had changed for you wth these upgrades, in comparison to stock? NISFAN reports little change from stock with higher torque pads, despite improved actual performance. So I think we're interested in the improvement from lines and fluid too.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #105
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 EBII F36 430d M Sport

Quote:
All polite comments from around the world welcomed here!

Just wondering how the pedal 'feel' had changed for you wth these upgrades, in comparison to stock? NISFAN reports little change from stock with higher torque pads, despite improved actual performance. So I think we're interested in the improvement from lines and fluid too.
There is a lot more immediacy in the brakes response. The stopping distance -aside from change in fading- will obviously not change as the stock system can already outperform the tires grip when you slam the brakes. Even though Pagids are race pads, they work just as well as stock pads when they are cold.

The benefit of the lines and fluid will only be noticeable on the track when the brakes start running real hot. I am bringing my infrared thermometer to find out how hot I am running getting off the track too.
      05-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #106
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
There is a lot more immediacy in the brakes response. The stopping distance -aside from change in fading- will obviously not change as the stock system can already outperform the tires grip when you slam the brakes. Even though Pagids are race pads, they work just as well as stock pads when they are cold.

The benefit of the lines and fluid will only be noticeable on the track when the brakes start running real hot. I am bringing my infrared thermometer to find out how hot I am running getting off the track too.
Very nice set up......and excellent taste in suspension kit......you must be a very wise man
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #107
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I am also hitting the track tomorrow and have done basic upgrades to the brakes system (standard OEM 335i system - 340mm front rotors): Pagid RS29 pads at the front, StopTech Street Performance pads at the rear, ECS tuning SS lines and high temperature fluid.

Pics of lines and Pagids in place:

As it can be seen on the picture, Pagids do not come the extra little weights (anti-vibration and squealing?) like the OEM pads but it does not seem to make any difference.

They're more likely to cause squealing, mine squeal like hell! Not sure what they're actually for though!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #108
Frosticles
Skint as always
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d M Sport

When mine get around to need replacing then I will be using Brembo Discs & Textar pads from GSF
      06-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #109
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Update please

Quote:
UPDATE:

Always difficult with brakes as it takes a while to bed them in and by the time they do you have often lost the reference feel from the old ones. However have had the EBC Yellowstuff in and bedded in, so thought I would share the views.

So far very happy, the friction levels are clearly superior to the standard BMW items. They are an organic material pad rather than the ceramic type that BMW supply, however, the wheel dust is not significantly more as is usual with an organic.

I have had a few squeals but this is when inching with brakes applied very lightly. Now this might start a thread by some owners, but not me, I can live with that. Under heavy braking they are noticeably smoother and quieter than the BMW sets. I don't get the hum when standing on the pedal like before, but then again you can't stand on the pedal as it locks up pretty sharpish....in fact it catches out the ABS momentarily on occasion.

Initial bite? Well not really improved things here, I sense there is a 'soft start' built into the BMW braking system, and the pads have not changed that. What you do get is the first bite after being a bit 'bitey'. I quite like the general feel. I am having a little issue with the extra assistance (brake pre-tension or whatever it is called) given by the anti collision system (part of active cruise control). What happens is when it pre-tensions and you hit the brakes, it stands you on the nose. I can of course turn this function off, but will live with it for a while longer.

So in conclusion, the Yellowstuff's are a great streetable pad, with no adverse 'cold brake' syndrome. They add massive capability to the brakes being able to brake harder with less brake pedal pressure, but ultimately won't stop the car any better than the stock sets.

Warning: they might be a little too sensitive for many drivers and don't give the graduation that you get with the stock set.

No idea on life expectancy yet.

Track day tomorrow will give them a proper test.
Good afternoon

Just wondering how, after 6 months in, you feel about the pads NISFAN? General observations, behaviour and so on would be nice

Thanks
Appreciate 0