F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Need some help, switched 6NH to 6NS-> drive train malfunction
ARMA SPEED

01-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
brianyo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 320xi

Need some help, switched 6NH to 6NS-> drive train malfunction

So I'm very new to coding (aka last 2-3 days) and I've been trying to learn. So far I was able to successfully switch off that horrible seat belt jingle and decided I wanted to try to enable txt msgs over bluetooth in may car. I have a 2015 320i and I followed the instructions of others to:

Read VO> (made multiple backups)> Read SVT> Load VO>edit>go down to SALAPA Element> right click on 6NH and edit to 6NS>save> back.
I then accepted the prompt asking if I wanted to use the new VO which I said yes to.

This next part is the part I think I did incorrectly.
I right clicked on ECU and then hit code. The car proceeded to code at which point it shut off the car(I was idling) and restarted. Most things on the log showed up as green except for one which appeared as red. (I saved the log but don't know where to default output folder is) The bluetooth office options did show up, but a majority of other things occurred which scared me. The car threw up some drive train malfunction to drive moderately and a seat belt malfunction.
Being a bit shaky, I decided I would just try to redo the same process in reverse with a backup and hope it would all resolve.
Loaded my original VO> made it active> read svt again> right clicked ECU and hit code. This got rid of a majority of the errors except the drive train one. The car still drives but I am not sure what to do. Is this something that may resolve on its own (aka waiting 30 minutes for the car to reset itself as it turns off) or is there something more I need to do to fix it. Any help would be gladly appreciated as well as any future tips, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
So you clicked on the ECU folder at the very top of the screen, the one at the top of the list of all the folders?
      01-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Sounds to me like you VO-Coded every module including the DME which would explain the reset. I think you should just try to clear all codes and see what happens.

Go to external applications, click transmitter, then go all the way down to CLEAR ALL DTCS and hit connect then hit send
      01-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
brianyo
Registered
Rep

Yup, I hit the topmost folder. I just went back into my car and the only thing lit up was the check engine light. I'm guessing the computer is still detecting that it had a fault and just needs to be cleared. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow morning and post back afterwards, thanks! And just to clarify, would I have had to just click on one of the sub folders and hit code?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
brianyo
Registered
Rep

Well, I went and did what you said and car is running 100%. Good to know there are so many knowledgeable people here, thanks again smithe90.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianyo View Post
Well, I went and did what you said and car is running 100%. Good to know there are so many knowledgeable people here, thanks again smithe90.
No Problem!!! Glad I was able to help out. Sorry I didn't see your previous post, you might want to try using reply next time, this way I will get notified.
      06-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
jsp_bimmer
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E91

smithf32,

I did the same thing, unfortunately, and coded from the entire ECU -- not just the individual folders. Now I have drivetrain malfunction. It hasn't gone away. I tried clearning the faults, as you recommended, but it hasn't worked. If you can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
No Problem!!! Glad I was able to help out. Sorry I didn't see your previous post, you might want to try using reply next time, this way I will get notified.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 08:20 PM   #8
fea30boy
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp_bimmer
smithf32,

I did the same thing, unfortunately, and coded from the entire ECU -- not just the individual folders. Now I have drivetrain malfunction. It hasn't gone away. I tried clearning the faults, as you recommended, but it hasn't worked. If you can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
You probably corrupted the DME cafd.

Try this

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on DME => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level displayed => Select OK => Right-Click on DME (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #9
jsp_bimmer
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E91

Thank you! That is exactly what happened. I did it with the motor running, so I lost the CAFD for the DME. shawnsheridan helped me out through TeamViewer and brought the car back to normal. It was a bit more involved, as the F15 comes with two DME modules, and, when I opened up "Detect CAF for SWE," there were far too many options for me to feel comfortable in choosing the right one. A big shoutout to shawnsheridan for helping me out last night! I can't thank him enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fea30boy View Post
You probably corrupted the DME cafd.

Try this

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on DME => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level displayed => Select OK => Right-Click on DME (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:11 PM   #10
sicce
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

I have the same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp_bimmer View Post
Thank you! That is exactly what happened. I did it with the motor running, so I lost the CAFD for the DME. shawnsheridan helped me out through TeamViewer and brought the car back to normal. It was a bit more involved, as the F15 comes with two DME modules, and, when I opened up "Detect CAF for SWE," there were far too many options for me to feel comfortable in choosing the right one. A big shoutout to shawnsheridan for helping me out last night! I can't thank him enough.
I have exactly the same issue, and am stuck on what to do next. Shawnsheridan any advise much appreciated.

Thank you
Appreciate 0