F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Failed emissions in MA, flagged to MAC
GetBMWParts

11-20-2023, 10:14 PM   #1
candyman12
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Unhappy Failed emissions in MA, flagged to MAC

Hi all,

I am in a little bit of a pickle and looking for some guidance on what other peoples experience has been.

My car (2018 340i) was flagged during a failed emissions test back because I had a VRSF high flow downpipes installed along with a MHD tune to stock but showing no CEL so I thought "oh I will be okay lets get the inspection done" (rookie movie &#128530. Once I failed, I tried a few different things with a 90 degree elbow on the DP but the monitors would not ready up so I put my stock downpipes back on and flashed the software back to stock using MHD+. I reset the monitors and all the monitors started showing up as ready after a drive cycle. However, I am still unable to pass inspection without getting the flag taken off by having to go to MAC.

So I contacted MAC asking to make an appointment but the gentleman is asking I go to the dealership and get the ECU flashed back to stock and provide a receipt/statement that the ECU is flashed back to stock ($425!!!). However, I worry if I take to the dealership to flash back to stock, they will lock my DME and I will be left with a useless MHD license on a car that is unable to be flashed.

So I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could direct me ..

1) Has anyone had similar experience with MAC requesting a receipt from the dealership for flashing the ECU back to stock?

2) I used MHD+ to flash the car back to stock, but I read in a few places that the flash back to stock is not actually stock but just a generic 340i DME coding so the CVN/CAL ID do not match... does anyone have a way to verify without having to go to BMW dealership?

3) Any suggestions on my best path forward?

This has been a super annoying issue that has been going on for a whole year so any help or guidance will be much appreciated fellas. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 12:22 PM   #2
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Mhd flash back to stock is a 1:1 with whatever was on your car before you flashed it. When you go to inspection you have to not only flash to stock and reset th flash counter, but also make sure the stock cat check box is good. If you didn't have a stock flash before adding mhd then that would be the issue
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0