F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > NBT Coding question
Extreme Powerhouse

04-22-2023, 03:09 PM   #1
Andmdit
Andmdit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330ix

Garage List
NBT Coding question

Hello and thank you everyone who has helped me this far in getting prepared to my NBT retrofit. I just have a few questions before I start the process tomorrow.

I am upgrading from HU-CIC to HU NBT tomorrow and I was hoping to confirm the coding process. I am installing a NBT head unit. Idrive controller, IDRIVE CONTROLLER ECU, and a 8.8 inch screen. My understanding is that once installed I need to add 609 and change 6NH to 6NS, then writing the FA to my car, to add the HU_NBT ECU.

Then I need to VO Code the NBT ECU (resetting the NBT to default)

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Right-Click on ECU (HU_NBT) => Select CODE.

I saw in another post that I need to make note of the donor Vin since all the FSC codes will be rejected. Does this step apply to me since I am purchasing an FSC code USB bin file from a recommended source on this forum? With this in mind would my process still be the same just plug the USB in once everything is installed and coded?

Lastly The new I drive controller works without issue except for the touch function which from what I understand means that my wiring is already Kcan2. I won't be installing the ECU for another week or so because I am waiting on the splitter to come in the mail. Will I need to do any additional coding once I connect the touch ECU?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 03:15 AM   #2
boldorider4
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i F22

Hi Andmbit,

Your VO coding process is almost correct. But just to be clear, first you retrofit the NBT evo unit, and only then you:
  • Connect
  • Read FA and activate it
  • Now you edit the FA and add:
    • Add 609 for professional screen
    • 6NH->6NS to support enhanced bluetooth
    • Add whichever other option you want. For connected drive+carplay I usually add 6AK,6AM,6AP,6CP
    • I also added 654 for radio DAB. You may have US Sat Radio (655), or have neither of the two in which case you add nothing.
  • Read ECU (NOT READ SVT!!!)
  • Right-Click on ECU (HU_NBT)
  • Code

At this point you're not done yet because you'll probably have to do some NCD coding (used to be called FDL coding). For this you need Launcher Pro 2.8.1 if your NBT unit has old enough I-Step version (up to sometime around 2018), otherwise you'll need a modern coding program like BimmerUtility.

For NCD coding you'll most likely want to pay attention to these parameters:
  • CID_APIX_MODE -> apix1 for older screen revision, apix2 for newer screen revision
  • CID_RESOLUTION -> 1280 x 480 or whichever applies to your CID screen
  • CID_DISPLAY_SIZE -> 8_8 or whichever size in inches applies to your CID screen (10_25 or whatever)
  • CID_COM_MODE -> spi for older screen revision, mii for newer screen revision
  • check parameters which relate to USB options like USB_PORTS -> usb1, usb2, usb1_usb2, whichever applies
  • check parameters which relate to AUX port if you care

there may be more NCD parameter coding to do depending on feature you want to enable. One notable option that drove me NUTS was the GPS settings. Because I had an ON-BOARD GPS connector (blue connector in the back, very rare for NBT units) I had to do:
  • GPS_FROM_NAVI -> aktiv
  • SYSTEM_GPS_RECEIVER -> aktiv
  • TELEMATICS_ECU -> nicht_aktiv

TELEMATICS_ECU not active was crucial because otherwise the unit will try to read GPS from the ATM telematics unit in the back (like in modern setups). Since mine was on-board, I had to change that. Given you start from an HU-CIC, you'll have no ATM telematic unit, therefore GPS in your case is routed to the HU like in my case.

If you need more help DM me. I'm very fresh from my latest retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 10:33 AM   #3
Andmdit
Andmdit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldorider4 View Post
Hi Andmbit,

Your VO coding process is almost correct. But just to be clear, first you retrofit the NBT evo unit, and only then you:

Connect
Read FA and activate it
Now you edit the FA and add:

Add 609 for professional screen
6NH->6NS to support enhanced bluetooth
Add whichever other option you want. For connected drive+carplay I usually add 6AK,6AM,6AP,6CP
I also added 654 for radio DAB. You may have US Sat Radio (655), or have neither of the two in which case you add nothing.

Read ECU (NOT READ SVT!!!)
Right-Click on ECU (HU_NBT)
Code

At this point you're not done yet because you'll probably have to do some NCD coding (used to be called FDL coding). For this you need Launcher Pro 2.8.1 if your NBT unit has old enough I-Step version (up to sometime around 2018), otherwise you'll need a modern coding program like BimmerUtility.

For NCD coding you'll most likely want to pay attention to these parameters:
  • CID_APIX_MODE -> apix1 for older screen revision, apix2 for newer screen revision
  • CID_RESOLUTION -> 1280 x 480 or whichever applies to your CID screen
  • CID_DISPLAY_SIZE -> 8_8 or whichever size in inches applies to your CID screen (10_25 or whatever)
  • CID_COM_MODE -> spi for older screen revision, mii for newer screen revision
  • check parameters which relate to USB options like USB_PORTS -> usb1, usb2, usb1_usb2, whichever applies
  • check parameters which relate to AUX port if you care

there may be more NCD parameter coding to do depending on [...]
Thanks for your reply. I am installing a standard NBT, not EVO, will these steps still apply?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 02:32 PM   #4
boldorider4
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i F22

It should still apply if you have an NBT ID4. Not sure if regular NBT is pre-ID4, though, in which case you may have no Wifi antenna, and because of that no support for 6AK,6AM,6AP,6CP, meaning no CarPlay.

But besides the FA editing, which is just a matter of finding the right 6XX options to add to the FA, the procedure should be the same.

NCD coding may also slightly differ, but those parameters I mentioned are the most important ones that will at least bring up an image and enable GPS navigation.

What I didn't mention though is that you may also have to patch FSC codes to activate the navigation app.
If your unit is old enough, which it should be, you should be able to buy FSC codes online and install them with a USB stick. I'm sure whoever sells you those will give you proper instructions.
Appreciate 0