F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Playlist help
ARMA SPEED

03-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
nehmer187
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i X-Drive M-Sport

Playlist help

Has anyone got a quick way to create a playlist from the songs in a thumbdrive? I use a 64GB thumbdrive filled with music, but haven't been able to figure out how I can get a playlist to work. Any help is appreciated!

Ryan
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Most media players (eg, VLC) have option.
Media (or ctrl+Y) > save playlist to file
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I use itunes and just export my playlists. Since my thumbnail is just a mirror of my itunes music folder I can just open the playlist in Textedit and find and replace all for the new filepath on the thumbdrive. I'm sure there is an easier way to do it, but I'm fully integrated with iTunes.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
tympj
Yellow Jacket
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Orion Silver

Ryan, I have done it but it is not very user friendly. I assume you already know how to import your thumbdrive or mp3 files into the car's harddrive. The key is have your playlists already loaded into folders on your home computer. Then, you copy one folder at a time on your thumbdrive and then import the folder into your car's harddrive. Then you go to music collection, press on top icon(now playing) then press browse directory, music search(magnifying glass icon), then press options button on idrive wheel and you will see rename album and now you can rename playlist to what you want to call it.

Once done, now to play that list by going back to music collection, now playing, browse directory, music search and highlight that list and press down on idrive wheel. That will default that list to play and now playing you will see the list of songs to play in order or change to random.

If you don't do it this way, then you have to select songs individually from your master list on your car's hard drive which is not feasible if you have a 1000+ song database like myself. That's why you want to create lists in folders first on your home computer . For example, I have lists on home computer like 60's songs 70's songs, smooth jazz songs etc.. Now I can copy them one at a time onto the flashdrive and import into my car's hardrive, then rename it. You cannot copy multiple playlists onto the thumbdrive that I'm aware of. Must be done one at a time to import successfully.

If you still have problems, send me your email at tympj@comcast.net and I will be glad to help. Didn't realize you're in Germany. We'll have to figure out logistics with time zone difference.
I used to have tools to remote into computers but retired so don't have those anymore.

Last edited by tympj; 03-22-2017 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: added info
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #5
nehmer187
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i X-Drive M-Sport

Thanks for the help everyone! Got it going. I copied the path into notepad and saved as a m3u and copied that to the thumbdrive, worked like a champ. Was a pain in the b-hole though
Appreciate 0