F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Manual F30 Market?
ARMA SPEED

05-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #89
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
i skipped on the manual f30 mainly because the 8 speed keeps the RPMs so much lower on my highway commute. I doubt a manual would have made me keep the car longer. CDV valve, numb steering, open diff, lacking throttle response. these are all fine in a daily driver but not a car you want to push to 10/10ths.
Have you had the chance to drive a MT F30? They don't suffer the throttle response issue. That's a software issue with BMW's programming of the ZF 8AT.

I also did not mind the built in CDV but the numb steering is a real turnoff.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #90
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Have you had the chance to drive a MT F30? They don't suffer the throttle response issue. That's a software issue with BMW's programming of the ZF 8AT.

I also did not mind the built in CDV but the numb steering is a real turnoff.
Interesting. I didn't know that.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #91
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrboulder View Post
When I got my manual 328i only like 6 months ago there was a pretty good selection on the national used/cpo/new market. A friend wants to buy one so I was looking around and I can barely find any manual F30s in the whole country, maybe a quarter of the selection from the fall. And prices seem to have risen in 6 months.

Is this a seasonal thing or are people getting their hands on whatever they can?
It literally took me 6-months of doing nation-wide searches to find my CPO 340i 6MT. I ended up finding one incredibly within a 4-hour drive after it popped up in my AutoTrader profile. I called first thing in the morning and put a deposit down on it. By the time I purchased the vehicle a few days later the salesman told me they had received dozens of calls about it.

They are damn-near impossible to find due to such low supplies and high demand. I'm pretty sure I have the only 340i 6MT M-Sport in the state of North Carolina.

Good luck.

Last edited by SmoothStyle1; 05-21-2018 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #92
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

I thought i was alone getting my car sight unseen. There were no 6MTs anywhere near me and frankly I liked the look and thought of a modern RWD 6MT coupe enough to lease it and figure if I didn't like it, I was off the hook in 3 years. No regrets.

And coming from another brand previously, I just don't share the same complaints as other members lol. The sport steering is too stiff and artificial feeling, like someone just threw silly putty in the steering colum gears. The sport throttle is too touchy when in traffic, to the point that a smooth takeoff in 1st happens almost before I touch the pedal and any actual gas tries to burn up the clutch. And I don't feel much lacking with the open diff. I haven't ran the car with traction control off but it still gets loose enough for my entertainment in sport mode. I love all the tech and I'm glad I didn't get adaptive suspension. I don't feel like I need any more power and I don't feel the need to swap lights/valances/etc to dress up the exterior. It just works as is for me. I did coilovers and exhaust and I'm more than satisfied with how it looks and drives for now. I actually think I spent more on my clear bra/tint than all my other mods combined

My only gripe is I've been fighting the CDV since day one. I know it's a free DIY job but I have no idea when I'd have time to do it so frustrating that I know I'll be dealing with it for a while longer. My previous cars had easy access to the clutch lines no drilling was required to remove the reducer. Sucks.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0