F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F31 330d touring reviewed against A4 3.0 TDI Avant and C350 CDI
proTUNING Freaks

11-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #23
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjørn View Post
Many males naturally buy cars that other males like. Then later they do not understand why they only get admiration from this group of people...

My wife wants a Ford F150 4x4 pickup truck.

LOL and I want a F12Berlinetta.

Not gonna happen.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #24
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

My dealer has this one.330d F31.
Excellent. M Sport. M sport brakes. 19 inch wheels.

Price: € 82,675 (that's in EURO)

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #25
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
I like diesel estates / sports wagons because they are more economical in terms of tax and mpg. And as long as you do not go off-road, you get the practicality of a SUV, while there is less drag, weight and so on to kill the mpg. All wheel drive and automatics also (used to) kill mpg. This is bad when fuel prices are almost twice those in the US/China.

And why not get the estate? The sedan is already a 4 door and not exactly a single-seat race car anyway. Even the coupe versions often weighs almost the same, and handling differences shouldn't be that major. I think the BMW estates look very very good, and for any young single man, looking like a "family-type" is actually not a bad thing!

Many males naturally buy cars that other males like. Then later they do not understand why they only get admiration from this group of people...

I think many girls like SUVs because they are bigger. They feel they are safer and easier to drive. But while a bigger car may look safe, if you think about it, it will be harder to stop and easier to roll if involved in a motorway accident. Anyhow in countries like the US and China, where fuel is cheaper, and bigger is sometimes just better, there are a better markets for SUVs than estates. This "bigger is better", I guess, also explains why the 6-series is larger than the 3-series coupe. There is an image attached driving bigger cars of the same brand... Even if it offers little sense, from an engineering point of view, people just like to pay for it. Its probably also why BMWs always grow a little in size with each generation.
Very good post imo

Like the last 5 series Touring looks better than the sedan, even won design awards; this F31 also gets the better looks vs. F30, comes as a no surprise since the F30/31 follows heavily the F10 design. Would make a perfect family car which is also a pleasant ride.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #26
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
I like diesel estates / sports wagons because they are more economical in terms of tax and mpg. And as long as you do not go off-road, you get the practicality of a SUV, while there is less drag, weight and so on to kill the mpg. All wheel drive and automatics also (used to) kill mpg. This is bad when fuel prices are almost twice those in the US/China.

And why not get the estate? The sedan is already a 4 door and not exactly a single-seat race car anyway. Even the coupe versions often weighs almost the same, and handling differences shouldn't be that major. I think the BMW estates look very very good, and for any young single man, looking like a "family-type" is actually not a bad thing!

I think many girls like SUVs because they are bigger. They feel they are safer and easier to drive. But while a bigger car may look safe, if you think about it, it will be harder to stop and easier to roll if involved in a motorway accident. Anyhow in countries like the US and China, where fuel is cheaper, and bigger is sometimes just better, there are a better markets for SUVs than estates. This "bigger is better", I guess, also explains why the 6-series is larger than the 3-series coupe. There is an image attached driving bigger cars of the same brand... Even if it offers little sense, from an engineering point of view, people just like to pay for it. Its probably also why BMWs always grow a little in size with each generation.
Spot on, +1000

The Touring-models never get riced or become the car every other kid on the block wants to drive, it will always hold it´s status higher than the Sedan. I´m gonna have it at least to the end of this generation and don´t want to drive something you see everywhere. But of course the main reason is cause I just got married and will probably have kids in a year or two, so it was a no brainer - I get everything the Sedan has plus, in my opinion, a more harmonical design, a bigger boot (to boot!) and not something thats gonna pop up as much everywhere.. Naah man, I´m so damn pleased it´s sick

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #27
a1reader
Evolve tuned...
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

Quote:

such wise, wise words
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #28
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
Well Maestro, you should try one and see for yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Stuff
Don't misunderstand me, I think the F31 is a great car and even tried to change my order to one! I was just reiterating what all the reviews on this forum to date had said about the handling being a bit funny. believe me, if I could have changed my order for a same spec F31 for similar money, I would have. Except it came in at £150 pm more because the pre-order discounts had gone!
      11-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #29
Sweeper
Second Lieutenant
Latvia
Rep
Drives: F10 , R8 , F30 M

Quote:
I like diesel estates (sports wagons) because they are more economical in terms of tax and mpg. You loose the off-road capabilities, but instead get less drag, weight and so which improves mpg. Loosing the all wheel drive also improves mpg. Anything that worsens mpg is bad when fuel prices are almost twice those in the US/China.

And why not get the estate? The sedan is already a 4 door and not exactly a single-seat race car anyway. Even the coupe versions weigh almost the same, and handling differences shouldn't be that major. I think the BMW estates look very very good, and for any young single man, looking like a "family-type" is actually not a bad thing!

I think many girls like SUVs because they are bigger. They feel they are safer and easier to drive. But while a bigger car may look safer, if you think about it, it will be harder to stop and easier to roll if involved in a motorway accident. Anyhow in countries like the US and China, where fuel is cheaper, and bigger is just sometimes better, SUVs are preferred over estates. This "bigger is better", I guess, also explains why the 6-series is larger than the 3-series coupe. There is an image attached driving bigger cars of the same brand... Even if it offers little sense, from an engineering point of view, people just like to pay for this. This is probably also why BMWs always grow a little in size with each generation.
There is also 2 more things :

1) If you are a sport type person , it's good to have a long boot car. Snowboards and expensive bikes sit there perfectly

2) It has actually higher roof and more space there for long trips to Alps :P

And the most important , it actually look cool (for 30 year old me).

P.S. i would buy one if they had 330XD , the last time I've checked it only comes RWD.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #30
GMW
Dolphin 38
Canada
Rep
Drives: a Submarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
I would love to get this over in the US. Probably not happening because we get 'crossovers' and 'Sport activity vehicles' instead of a honest-to-god wagon.

That said, was this review written for twitter? :P
Haven't you seen any of the front page news lately on Bimmerpost homepage?

Yes the F31 is coming. And yes, it's coming with a diesel engine too. How'd you miss that? Haha
+1
11' e92 M3 - new owner
10' S1000RR - miss it every day / 09' K1300S - miss it most of all.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #31
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
I like diesel estates (sports wagons) because they are more economical in terms of tax and mpg. You loose the off-road capabilities, but instead get less drag, weight and so which improves mpg. Loosing the all wheel drive also improves mpg. Anything that worsens mpg is bad when fuel prices are almost twice those in the US/China.

And why not get the estate? The sedan is already a 4 door and not exactly a single-seat race car anyway. Even the coupe versions weigh almost the same, and handling differences shouldn't be that major. I think the BMW estates look very very good, and for any young single man, looking like a "family-type" is actually not a bad thing!

I think many girls like SUVs because they are bigger. They feel they are safer and easier to drive. But while a bigger car may look safer, if you think about it, it will be harder to stop and easier to roll if involved in a motorway accident. Anyhow in countries like the US and China, where fuel is cheaper, and bigger is just sometimes better, SUVs are preferred over estates. This "bigger is better", I guess, also explains why the 6-series is larger than the 3-series coupe. There is an image attached driving bigger cars of the same brand... Even if it offers little sense, from an engineering point of view, people just like to pay for this. This is probably also why BMWs always grow a little in size with each generation.
Where I live I have snow for like 3-4 months in a year, to get ice in end of October or mid April isn\t uncommmon. So a little drag is an issue only on highway driving (not a problem for me as I drive 90% in city), while MPG increase is tolerable given I never have to worry about getting stuck in bad weather.

It\s a tradeoff and BMW make some awesome estates. It\s a tough choice, so Im still looking. X1, X3, 520d Touring, 320d Tourings... At least consumer these days is spoiled for choice. Audi Q5 is a very good car too.
      11-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #32
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
There is also 2 more things :

1) If you are a sport type person , it's good to have a long boot car. Snowboards and expensive bikes sit there perfectly

2) It has actually higher roof and more space there for long trips to Alps :P

And the most important , it actually look cool (for 30 year old me).

P.S. i would buy one if they had 330XD , the last time I've checked it only comes RWD.
Good point, but it has the same height as the F30. Another great thing is u get automatic boot opening as standard, electrical opening and closing with buttons on key fob and boot lid.

@MaestroAl: I feel ya!! But u'll get a kickass car no matter what and I bet u wont even remember u wanted the Touring

| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #33
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
@MaestroAl: I feel ya!! But u'll get a kickass car no matter what and I bet u wont even remember u wanted the Touring
I'm sure it's for the best. Form a purely selfish point of view, I'm getting a "better" car for me to drive around in. From a family point of view, I'd have been better off with the F31 and then we could have got rid of the wife's MPV and got a sports car But fear not. I'm excited for next week and I'm gonna love it - I know it already
      11-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #34
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
I'm sure it's for the best. Form a purely selfish point of view, I'm getting a "better" car for me to drive around in. From a family point of view, I'd have been better off with the F31 and then we could have got rid of the wife's MPV and got a sports car But fear not. I'm excited for next week and I'm gonna love it - I know it already

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #35
Reno828
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

F31 330d in USA?

So are you all expecting BMW NA to bring the F31 330d to the USA? Or is the general thinking that we will only be able to choose between the 320d and 328i formats?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 04:26 AM   #36
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Snapped these this morning when I got to work, look at that body and how the lines work in perfect harmony with it. No roof rails gives it a sportier appearance and doesn´t disturb that roof line, eliminating that family-hauler-look
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #37
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Aye tis a beautiful shape. I actually think it's a more natural looking shape than the F30
      11-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #38
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Indeed Maestro, that´s how I also feel

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #39
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

Wikipedia:
Station wagons have evolved from their early use as specialized vehicles to carry people and luggage to and from a train station, and have been marketed worldwide.

"Station wagon" or "wagon" are the common nomenclature in American, Australian, Canadian and New Zealand English, while estate car – or simply estate – is common in British English. An archaic term for station wagon is the Australian station sedan.[4]

Having shared antecedents with the British shooting-brake (originally a wooden-bodied vehicle used to carry shooting parties with their equipment and game), station wagons have been marketed as breaks, using the French term (which is sometimes given fully as break de chasse, literally "hunting break." Early U.S. models often had exposed wooden bodies and were thus called woodies).[5]

Manufacturers may designate station wagons across various model lines with a proprietary nameplate. Examples include "Estate" (Mercedes-Benz), "Avant" (Audi), "Touring" (BMW), "Break" (Citroën), Kombi or Variant (Volkswagen and Saab) and "Sports Tourer" (Opel).
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #40
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Haven't you seen any of the front page news lately on Bimmerpost homepage?

Yes the F31 is coming. And yes, it's coming with a diesel engine too. How'd you miss that? Haha
I'll believe it when I'm able to take one for a test drive.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 03:04 AM   #41
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

I simply love the F31. I agree with many others here, that like the F10/11, the touring design works better. Inside, the panoramic sunroof creates a very spacious ambiance.

For those who own an F31...would a 56cm (size L) Scott Foil bike fit in the back with the seats folded down? I can remove the front wheel, but I don't want to touch the height of my seat post as I had the bike computer fitted and its so PERFECT I'd never get it back to this exact position if I move it!

The other aspect of my dilemma is...would you move on from a 2 year old E92 325i coupe that has been wonderful in all respects? Now that I'm much more into triathlons than I was when I bought the coupe, I'm really value the practicality of the F31 over my E92, but I also value the hit I'd take on depreciation as I move to a car that remains less stylish but more useful than the car I'd be parting company with.

As the 330d is not available and will not likely be available in Taiwan, my other decision is a 320d in Luxury line only, or a 328i in Sport line only. Not a lot of flexibility given the small market for this car in Taiwan. Any thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #42
starrfyr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV Giga

Garage List
2014 i3 REx  [0.00]
[QUOTE=Asbjrn]
Quote:
Originally Posted by research View Post
typically a diesel estate is for families, a petrol sedan is for single men driving about.

Problem with family estates is that for a little bit more you can get a cross over SUV thing which, if looks good, is a better and safer proposition for a family guy (sit higher up, etc). Plus you more often get the awd option on them, which again in cold climates is a plus.
Bigger is better ... Not! I'm an American owner of an E90 335d. I know this is an F3x Estate discussion and I'm chiming in because the rest of the world thinks Americans are insane/retarded with the SUV thing. It's a big country and even I feel like I need a passport for certain regions.

Anyway, back on point. My 335d has been in the shop a few times for minor issues that have required loaners. I've borrowed an F30 328i and an F10 535i, both with the ZF 8HP trans.

Since this is a 'Bigger is Better' response I'll just comment on the 5'er which is bigger than my 335d. It weighs about 150kg more, is slower, handles worse, and, IMHO is less comfortable. And, don't even get me started with its pathetic MPG. The back seats are probably a damn sight better than my 3, but I don't sit in the back, and so I don't care.

If both cares were lined up with the same features, I'd pick the 3 every day. Add in the fact that the 5 is $10000 more and now I am compelled to point and laugh at 5 drivers on the road. They usually try to compensate by a demonstration of acceleration. After I blow past them I laugh some more.

If the 330d Estate makes it to NA I will give it a good looking over because it's the only car in the works I'd trade my 335d for.

2011 E90 M57y, ZPP, 248, 494, 655, 6FL
SOLD and will be missed
Appreciate 0