F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > 328i w adaptive on order
ARMA SPEED

11-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

328i w adaptive on order

So I decided to stop researching, dreaming & drooling, and time to take action.

I went to my local BMW dealer and decided to talk turkey on a 328i. I had received a novated lease quote from a leasing company that was only ok... not that great, but a great comparison. I've always been able to negotiate list price as my drive away, and was surprised that the leasing company was more expensive.

After much bargaining I've walked away with a 328i on order list price! I found that really odd because I had this strategy mapped out where I would try to play the dealers off to get the deal I wanted. I still cannot believe how easy it was to get the deal.

What I have is the 328i with
- adaptive M suspension
- sunroof
- heated front seats
- parking assist
- Euro plates
- 360 servicing for 4 years.

In the end I opted for a beige interior with black mats rather than pay extra for a line. It wasn't worth the $$$ in the end. I also umm'ed after discovering sports seats are not standard, but it took the total price waaay above my already stretched budget.

Before I placed the order, I have to say that I did test drive the 320d and found the torque really addictive. I wanted to test the 328i back to back, but whoever was driving it was sure hogging the car.

I lost patience and thought to enquire about pricing just to kill time. Turns out that I never got to drive it back to back, and thought that I would be walking away with some nice indicative pricing. I had no idea I would be putting a deposit today and walking away with a frigging order!!

The soonest I could get a build was December... so I thought stuff it and set a build date commencing in January. Rationale is
1. have a 2013 build date
2. if MY13.5 comes out in January, I get the benefit of any updates & improvements.

What a buzz !! I still cannot believe it and I'm pinching myself!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau
So I decided to stop researching, dreaming & drooling, and time to take action.

I went to my local BMW dealer and decided to talk turkey on a 328i. I had received a novated lease quote from a leasing company that was only ok... not that great, but a great comparison. I've always been able to negotiate list price as my drive away, and was surprised that the leasing company was more expensive.

After much bargaining I've walked away with a 328i on order list price! I found that really odd because I had this strategy mapped out where I would try to play the dealers off to get the deal I wanted. I still cannot believe how easy it was to get the deal.

What I have is the 328i with
- adaptive M suspension
- sunroof
- heated front seats
- parking assist
- Euro plates
- 360 servicing for 4 years.

In the end I opted for a beige interior with black mats rather than pay extra for a line. It wasn't worth the $$$ in the end. I also umm'ed after discovering sports seats are not standard, but it took the total price waaay above my already stretched budget.

Before I placed the order, I have to say that I did test drive the 320d and found the torque really addictive. I wanted to test the 328i back to back, but whoever was driving it was sure hogging the car.

I lost patience and thought to enquire about pricing just to kill time. Turns out that I never got to drive it back to back, and thought that I would be walking away with some nice indicative pricing. I had no idea I would be putting a deposit today and walking away with a frigging order!!

The soonest I could get a build was December... so I thought stuff it and set a build date commencing in January. Rationale is
1. have a 2013 build date
2. if MY13.5 comes out in January, I get the benefit of any updates & improvements.

What a buzz !! I still cannot believe it and I'm pinching myself!
If you ordered Pro Nav you will get the revised system which starts in AU/NZ SA built cars in December production.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
If you're leasing it'd be worth stretching your budget to include pro nav and the extended dash display.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Whatever the options, whatever the cost, congrats on making the order

you'll love every moment being in it no doubt
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 03:42 AM   #5
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Congrats on the purchase.. I thought Aug build would be 2013..
Not sure if the new nav has been included I havent seen any news formally indicating this yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 03:54 AM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Congratulations on a wise choice. I am starting to open up my 328i after almost 1,000kms. The twin scroll turbo engine is so responsive. I tested flappy paddle manual mode recently and wow, it responds to gear changes instantly, reaching fast speeds incredibly quickly.

Sure, try to test drive the 328i but if you don't get a chance, no big deal. It will impress you - and then some, no end. Cheers.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 04:05 AM   #7
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I tried the paddles David.. I found myself having troubles focusing on the road and the quick shifts required as it hit the RPM's too quickly. M Performance Steering is calling ur name David
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 04:44 AM   #8
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys!

Actually I test drove the 328i about 4 or 5 weeks ago and was very impressed back then. After I test drove the 320d I just wanted to drive it again for comparison in the same conditions.

Even though I've done the deal, I might go back for a drive.

In the research process, I test drove the A4 quattro. The handling was awesome, but the suspension was so hard... not bone jarring nor uncomfortable - but I didn't like getting tossed around in the car. It also lacked the responsiveness of the 328i. I guess it's a heavier car and the torque kicks in too late.

I also wanted to avoid repeating the DSG issues I have in my Golf. Didn't help that the Audi salesman wasn't taking me seriously at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 04:48 AM   #9
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep

Oh, I didn't add Pro-nav as I currently have the RNS510 6" satnav screen which is fine for me.

What's the new nav? I thought there was just business & pro?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Oh, I didn't add Pro-nav as I currently have the RNS510 6" satnav screen which is fine for me.

What's the new nav? I thought there was just business & pro?
The new nav has a touch sensitive area on top of the idrive controller.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #11
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Didn't help that the Audi salesman wasn't taking me seriously at all.
I did test drive the A4 and A5 before locking in the deal. I would say that they do put in alot of effort into the components one would deem as mandatory in a luxury sports vehicle. What really did put me off was as soon as I told them I had a few Bimmers before and was considering the C350 ,A4,A5 and the new F30 , he just backed down. He didnt even try to help me with specification comparisons pros and cons etc. I nvr went back. Tells us how important customer service is
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #12
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
The new nav has a touch sensitive area on top of the idrive controller.
Ok thanks.

Btw it is driving me nuts but i am having second thoughts...

About not adding the sports seats!

My first test drive was before i knew much about the car and options. So when i test drove the 328i it had sports seats. So i assumed it was standard but its not.

I am athletic build and the standard seats are a little too big. So i will phone back tomorrow to tick that option.

I am wondering if i should delete the heated seats. My thinking is they are only needed for the first few mins before the engine heats up. I dont have them now and i dont think i will really miss them. They should really be standard for the fronts.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Yeah, get the sports seats. Heated seats are a nice luxury, but sport seats are almost essential. You'll be sitting in this car for the next few years.

I would also consider the xenons. They're not standard on the 328i either. Maybe ditch the sunroof? Adaptive suspension is an excellent choice. Congrats on your purchase.
2000 E46 318i Cosmos Black

Last edited by dcg71; 11-11-2012 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ok thanks.

Btw it is driving me nuts but i am having second thoughts...

About not adding the sports seats!

My first test drive was before i knew much about the car and options. So when i test drove the 328i it had sports seats. So i assumed it was standard but its not.

I am athletic build and the standard seats are a little too big. So i will phone back tomorrow to tick that option.

I am wondering if i should delete the heated seats. My thinking is they are only needed for the first few mins before the engine heats up. I dont have them now and i dont think i will really miss them. They should really be standard for the fronts.

Thoughts?
Hey CKau, I think thats a good way to go. You're from Sydney anyways it's warm there lol you dont need heated seats for sure. Go with the sports seats.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the input guys. I phoned them up & switched the sports seats for the heaters.

I checked with a friend as I recalled his dad's old 325i from the 90's had a heater element in the climate control, so you don't have to wait for the engine to heat up to get warm air. He's also got a Z3.

He validated it for me, so yeah, the heaters whilst a nice thought are a luxury - esp considering the pre-heating element in the A/c. I don't have seat heating now so I won't "miss" them... it's just that any japanese car with leather or even VW's for that matter have heating as standard once you go leather.

They ought to be standard on the fronts. I can understand them being optional for the rear.

I will really use the bolster adjustment cos on some days when it's really hot, I don't like being hugged tight (the problem in my current car). But when it comes to some twisties I can adjust to get the support. I'm sure I would have missed this more than the heaters.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #16
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I tried the paddles David.. I found myself having troubles focusing on the road and the quick shifts required as it hit the RPM's too quickly. M Performance Steering is calling ur name David
LOLOLOL! Very good.
I'm still having trouble focussing on the road every time I'm in the car in any setting, switching buttons and having so much fun. Flappy paddles are GREAT and I agree, because of the 8 speed, the revs mount up quickly but so does the speed. I haven't had a speeding ticket in many, many years, but I fear such a record may be broken in this car if I'm not careful.

It is so hard to drive the car slowly.

Changing the subject, I LOVE daylight savings and the warm weather associated with this time of year, so all of you will understand the following when you get a chance to do some night driving in your F30.

IT IS SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!
I LOVE IT and the lighting is……almost everything lights up so nicely.
We headed back to our cars, parked next to each other after dinner with friends last Saturday night. I unlocked my car and my friend had a meltdown when she saw how beautifully it lights up outside (welcome/DRLs) and especially inside.

I have Sports (white) lighting set and it really is an amazing sight. So pure and white.

Back to your post, I wonder of the M-Performance steering wheel and M-Sport steering wheels can be swapped over like F1 steering wheels? Don't anyone answer as I know the answer. It would be nice, but the M-Sport wheel is the best in the business and the wheel of choice for me - maybe with the inclusion of an 'M' button.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 03:01 AM   #17
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. I phoned them up & switched the sports seats for the heaters.
You wont regret it =)

To be honest I rarely use the seat heating function.. i'm always wearing jeans/pants.. in summer i'm wearing shorts so ya

I only got it for the Mrs as she wears alot of skirty and silky like outfits (Yes i said it.. SKIRTY and SILKY in one sentence. ) that could prove to be not warm enough in winter/spring/autumn.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 03:07 AM   #18
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
LOLOLOL! Very good.
I haven't had a speeding ticket in many, many years, but I fear such a record may be broken in this car if I'm not careful.
I believe I should have already lost my license since I got my car. Funny enough, I have not got a ticket yet *touch wood*

But I did get a ticket today having coffee on collins street in the City for being 5 mins over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Back to your post, I wonder of the M-Performance steering wheel and M-Sport steering wheels can be swapped over like F1 steering wheels? Don't anyone answer as I know the answer. It would be nice, but the M-Sport wheel is the best in the business and the wheel of choice for me - maybe with the inclusion of an 'M' button.
The non Bling Bling M performance steering wheel makes me want to touch it. M..uussst Resisst!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #19
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I rarely use the seat heating function
In the cold weather I use it daily. I love the seat warmers. After a heavy gym session (the other thing apart from F30s I'm obsessed with), it's nice to warm the back & legs on the way to work sometimes.

However, I haven't used the seat warmer in my new car yet. I can't remember using it yet anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #20
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

CKau, did you consider the xenon headlights?

I'd agree with the others here that the heated seats is a nice to have BUT the sports seats are something you can enjoy everyday, every time you get in your new car
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #21
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
CKau, did you consider the xenon headlights?

I'd agree with the others here that the heated seats is a nice to have BUT the sports seats are something you can enjoy everyday, every time you get in your new car
No didn't consider them. I felt they should have been standard as they were on the outgoing 325i. However if they deleted it to make a great car sneak under A$70k then I am happy to have traded that for the adaptive or something else
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #22
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just a bit of context... I was oirignally ogling the 320i because the engine was a significant leap over the E90. However, after adding on the price of real leather and nav, i realised it wasn't much extra to go for the 328i from that point.

So in the end i decided to stretch for the 328i. I thought for the sake of a few $$$ i am at risk of making myself unhappy.

The toys/performance equation likewise killed the 320d off my list. I nearly went the 320d with the power kit.
Appreciate 0