F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > 328i w adaptive on order
GetBMWParts

11-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #67
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Also is digital radio worth it? Looking at the station list it seems like a toy just to impress your friends with not much value.
From a sound quality point of view, absolutely NOT!!! I am very disappointed with DAB+ quality. It lacks any real dynamic range, sounds harsh and does not take advantage of its technology. Frequency response leave a lot to be desired.
Of course, I am only putting forward my experience with DAB from listening to it in the car.

We have a small DAB unit at home and it is too small to gauge proper quality from.

Anyway, yes, DAB has lots of channels to choose from, so if you like variety, the DAB is good value. If you like music without idiot announcers talking rubbish with each other, then some DAB channels are for you (me).

Nova Nation is pretty much 99% music WITHOUT chatter. Great for music. Bird radio is great for 5 seconds and Chemist Warehouse has easy listening music with ads for……I will let you guess.

So it does work for some like me, as long as you know its limitations. And no, you won't impress your friends as no one will know the difference between DAB & FM for sound quality. Probably yes to DAB & AM but the AM stations are on DAB anyway.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #68
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Thanks for the feedback David. Actually, I might not have to even bother if this article is true... goes to show I should read other sub-forums before shooting from the hip

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770807

As for dealing with the sun, I'm starting to lean towards a tint - particularly for the side windows forward of the B pillar.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #69
matts325i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
From a sound quality point of view, absolutely NOT!!! I am very disappointed with DAB+ quality. It lacks any real dynamic range, sounds harsh and does not take advantage of its technology. Frequency response leave a lot to be desired.
Of course, I am only putting forward my experience with DAB from listening to it in the car.

We have a small DAB unit at home and it is too small to gauge proper quality from.

Anyway, yes, DAB has lots of channels to choose from, so if you like variety, the DAB is good value. If you like music without idiot announcers talking rubbish with each other, then some DAB channels are for you (me).

Nova Nation is pretty much 99% music WITHOUT chatter. Great for music. Bird radio is great for 5 seconds and Chemist Warehouse has easy listening music with ads for……I will let you guess.

So it does work for some like me, as long as you know its limitations. And no, you won't impress your friends as no one will know the difference between DAB & FM for sound quality. Probably yes to DAB & AM but the AM stations are on DAB anyway.

I guess I'm not an audio buff but I find it quite clear and crisp. I like the variety and no ads, so its a winner for me, but if I had to limit the options I was choosing due to $$ it would probably be one of the first to go.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #70
matts325i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback David. Actually, I might not have to even bother if this article is true... goes to show I should read other sub-forums before shooting from the hip

As for dealing with the sun, I'm starting to lean towards a tint - particularly for the side windows forward of the B pillar.
I haven't tinted mine yet, but I most likely will in the next few weeks, although I've never heard of it costing $800-$1000 before. I think I paid $400 for the 1M Coupe for a dealer install, I thought it would cost less if I go direct.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #71
scou3821
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 328i

When I first got my car I was a bit disappointed with the DAB. But I have just had an E91 loan car for a week (without DAB) and the FM signal had so much static. You don't get that with DAB. So now I am happy with that choice.

So far I have only found that in Melb only Gold 104.3 displays song name.
Delivered: 328i Sport, Mineral grey, black leather, aluminium trim/red accent, Comfort access, Rear view camera, Sunroof, heated front seats, high beam assist, lane change warning, surround view, parking assistant, xenons, professional nav, internet and more.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #72
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:

The factory tint is much nicer than aftermarket based on what I've seen.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.

Last edited by JonoNZ; 11-20-2012 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: spelling of tint
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #73
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just a bit of context... I was oirignally ogling the 320i because the engine was a significant leap over the E90. However, after adding on the price of real leather and nav, i realised it wasn't much extra to go for the 328i from that point.

So in the end i decided to stretch for the 328i. I thought for the sake of a few $$$ i am at risk of making myself unhappy.

The toys/performance equation likewise killed the 320d off my list. I nearly went the 320d with the power kit.
Coming from the GTI I was convinced I'd want the 328i. Loved the performance and as I've said in other threads the N20 engine is superior in every way to the GTI except for the sound. It's a real shame it sounds so ordinary, and very diesel like (I thought the GTI was diesel like at idle, the N20 is a lot less inspiring).

Anyway, I drove the 335i M Sport and it really surprised me. I expected a lazier 6-cyl experience. It sounded great and had peak torque figures very similar to the N20 (technically slightly better at 1200rpm). The 335 delivered a very similar drive to the N20, but with the great I6 soundtrack.

I settled on the 335i M Sport and have spec'ed the M Performance exhaust also.

Now the wait, January 2013 build...going to be a long one.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #74
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #75
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:

That might be UK only. Would pay to check with BMW AU before assuming it will arrive on your car, every country has different standard kit and option packages/limitations.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #76
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoNZ View Post
Coming from the GTI I was convinced I'd want the 328i. Loved the performance and as I've said in other threads the N20 engine is superior in every way to the GTI except for the sound. It's a real shame it sounds so ordinary, and very diesel like (I thought the GTI was diesel like at idle, the N20 is a lot less inspiring).

Anyway, I drove the 335i M Sport and it really surprised me. I expected a lazier 6-cyl experience. It sounded great and had peak torque figures very similar to the N20 (technically slightly better at 1200rpm). The 335 delivered a very similar drive to the N20, but with the great I6 soundtrack.

I settled on the 335i M Sport and have spec'ed the M Performance exhaust also.

Now the wait, January 2013 build...going to be a long one.

That is one heck of a car you will be driving in no time.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #77
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Except for the 318d, although us enthusiasts here wouldn't consider it anyway.

Sorry that's right forgot bout that.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #78
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am trying to play spot the difference with the extended display. As far as i can tell, the differences are

- digital consumption needle instead of analogue
- digital readout for energy recovery. Dont know what it is actually telling me
- extended always will show gear selector where standard may not
- extended shows speed limit indicator (irrelevant for me as i didnt option that)
- maybe trip computer, lists is not overwritten by service indicators in extended
- extended repeats nav directions and standard doesnt

The us version of the owners manual doesnt say where the driving experience indicator is for the extended display. It says for standard it is displayed in the status Area (zone 3)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #79
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
That is one heck of a car you will be driving in no time.
Some good news - my build week has been bought forward to 20121250 - starting around 10th December. Still confirmed with new Nav and M Sport.

What lead/shipping times have AU/NZ owners experienced for SA built cars?

Last edited by JonoNZ; 11-20-2012 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: clarity around lead time word
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #80
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Some good news - my build week has been bought forward to 20121250 - starting around 10th December. Still confirmed with new Nav and M Sport.

What lead/shipping times have AU/NZ owners experienced for SA built cars?
Hey! Funny! I was offered that date.

But for the sake of a few weeks i asked for jan 2013 in case they make any improvements and retool during the xmas break. You know.... Stuff like implementing the new steering components ;-) i also figured i get the benefit of having the build date in 2013 for resale
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #81
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:

But for the sake of a few weeks i asked for jan 2013 in case they make any improvements and retool during the xmas break. You know.... Stuff like implementing the new steering components ;-) i also figured i get the benefit of having the build date in 2013 for resale
They won't change anything, I'm pretty sure of that. They've already made changes on 1 November -- they won't change it again.

Resale value in NZ is based on month of registration -- which will be late Jan/early Feb.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 02:11 AM   #82
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
They won't change anything, I'm pretty sure of that. They've already made changes on 1 November -- they won't change it again.

Resale value in NZ is based on month of registration -- which will be late Jan/early Feb.
One other thing that appears to have happened since Nov 1, Comfort Access is now standard on the 335i (in NZ at least) and my car price has dropped accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 02:37 AM   #83
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:

CKau, what location code do you have on your order? Mine says T002. Not sure if that is the plant or something else?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #84
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
In regard to the DAB+, I've changed my view on it since I sorted out my equaliser settings.

It's quite good and when I run split-screen it's good being able to see track and artist information, it lets me check out more music by an artist I like when I don't catch the back-announcement.

The tint I had the dealership do prior to delivery is top notch, and I know I get to take it straight back if there's any problems. Again, having had time in a car with no tint (and I do a south to north commute so I get blasted with the sun morning and evening) I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have the Extended display and have spent time in a car that doesn't have it. It's not a must have, but I'd definitely choose it if I had a "go-over".
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #85
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30D MSport

Garage List
Regarding tinting, the information I've received (which is supported by observations I've made) is that dealership tinting is often quite different from what you will get with a professional tinter or a company like SolAce.

Apparently tinting elements have a thermal rating in addition to their visual light rating. So a tint may eliminate 65% of natural light, but only eliminate 30% of the radiant heat. Apparently dealership tints tend to be this type - looks good on the car, but doesn't do much to reduce heat.

Professional tinters tend to use the same elements manufactured for household window tinting, which often has a thermal rating equal or close to the visual light rating. This is also how these companies have access to darker-than-legal tint, because they use them for houses.

I had my sides and rear window tinted with 20% (80% light reduction) tints that also had 70% thermal reduction and it ended up costing me $270. They guy that did it will go down to 5% tints (95% reduction) but cautioned that at that level, there's a good chance of getting pulled over or having an insurance company deny your claim if they feel the tints were the cause of an accident (and speaking as a former insurance claim investigator, they'll find a way). I've never heard of anyone that has gotten fined or even pulled over for 20% tints, but it's always a gamble.

(Edit: Added in an image to show off new tints)
Attached Images

Last edited by ozorion; 11-20-2012 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Adding picture with the tints for example
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #86
Drk280
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Oz did you get carbon, metallic or ceramic tint? Reflect Effect did carbon 20% on mine and it looks great. Was advised metallic will interfere with the antenna on the rear window.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #87
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30D MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drk280 View Post
Oz did you get carbon, metallic or ceramic tint? Reflect Effect did carbon 20% on mine and it looks great. Was advised metallic will interfere with the antenna on the rear window.
I got metallic. The guy did caution that on some cars metallic tints can interfere with in-glass antennas so we tested it first by laying the tint on the outside of the glass and then tuning multiple stations on both the AM and FM bands. We had no problems at all, the guy said he does a lot of BMWs and he never has a problem with the newer ones, but it was the first F30 he had done.

The only problem we had was the roof brake light on the rear window - on E92s the guy says it can just be unclipped and dropped down but he couldn't get my brake light off the roof, so in the end he had to cut around it.

Overall I'm very happy with the job, and the price.
      11-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #88
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
CKau, what location code do you have on your order? Mine says T002. Not sure if that is the plant or something else?
Copy of order detail attached, anyone know what 'Location' relates to?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0