F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2014 3 Series GT configurator is Up!!!
European Auto Source

07-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #45
akhter
Major
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 x3d Mineral White

Garage List
Why do people on this forum get off dissing cars that are not intended for them?

I have an e90 and with one carseat plus a stroller in the trunk basically fills up the car.

It is impossible for two people to sit with a car seat even for very short trips.

I would seriously consider this car not only because of the reasons above but also because an additional 3-4 inches can actually make the rear seat useful for more than one adult on very short trips since one person can actually sit a little bit infront. Those who live in big cities will appreciate this.

If you don't like it, then its not for you. There are plenty of cars in BMW lineup for every taste and it this doesn't take anything away from cars that you like.

Yes, I know I can get a 5er but I think a 3gt m sport 335i will be cheaper and more fun to drive than a 528i when similarly equipped. And I think it looks pretty good looking and better than a wagon/estate.
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #46
SamS
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
Why do people on this forum get off dissing cars that are not intended for them?

I have an e90 and with one carseat plus a stroller in the trunk basically fills up the car.

It is impossible for two people to sit with a car seat even for very short trips.

I would seriously consider this car not only because of the reasons above but also because an additional 3-4 inches can actually make the rear seat useful for more than one adult on very short trips since one person can actually sit a little bit infront. Those who live in big cities will appreciate this.

If you don't like it, then its not for you. There are plenty of cars in BMW lineup for every taste and it this doesn't take anything away from cars that you like.

Yes, I know I can get a 5er but I think a 3gt m sport 335i will be cheaper and more fun to drive than a 528i when similarly equipped. And I think it looks pretty good looking and better than a wagon/estate.
Perfectly said. And it's not that hard to beat the driving dynamics of a standard F10 528i

I tried to find the wagon interesting to look at, but the proportions just seem old-fashion when compared directly to the GT. If someone didn't know much about cars, you could easily convince them that an F34 is a "new body style/replacement" for the F31. The front end in M-sport trim looks especially nice.
2012 M3 coupe - sold
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #47
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
Burn them all!

I hope it flops hard, they would have been better off giving us a 335i powered f31!
This^^^^
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 01:37 AM   #48
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is , 2016 X5

Send a message via AIM to The Cleaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
The 5GT in the USA sold/sells far more units than the touring ever did per year...do you call that a flop? Until you've taken one on a long trip with 3 other adults, don't knock it! Looks very much like a BMW from the inside, when you'll spend 98% of your time with it in visual range.
Glad you like it, BMW will admit the 5GT was a disappointment no need to take my word for it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/23/b...-series-wagon/
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #49
wakedaze
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 5.0i

BMW just HAD to get into the niche Pontiac Aztec market.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #50
rave426
Oh Hai
Rep
Drives: 997.1 Porsche 911 GT3

This is has to be the ugliest POS BMW has made since the 5GT...Oh wait...it is a 5GT...which flopped...badly.
      07-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #51
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
This is simply not true. Monthly sales volumes are comparable. You should also consider that E61 was only sold as a single model (530xi and then 535xi), while F07 is sold with two different engines and both RWD and AWD.
I didn't have USA figures handy, but did have the international ones. Even if they sold comparable numbers, which one (with the higher retail price) is likely to have made them more money? Personally, since they look pretty much identical from the outside, the fact that there's four versions of the GT (in your way of looking at it) and only two of the Touring, I look at it as just two body styles, regardless of what options you should choose: wagon or hatchback. FWIW, BMW seems to list the engine, drive variations as a submodel, not as a separate model, at least on their website, which is why I treated them that way as well. All F07's are GT's, regardless of options, so your argument about 2 vs 4 models is somewhat anal.

The drop in annual sales of the Touring after the GT was introduced is at least somewhat logical to associate with the decision to stop selling it in the USA and only sell the GT, and the TOTAL volume of vehicles sold in both categories is now more than when only the Touring was available.

I expect adding this model and the others coming out will also increase sales...that adds to the bottom line.

Maybe the fact that the rest of the world accepts the GT is a reflection of the bias in the USA and less worldly attitude. Perception of value is different here than elsewhere. BMW is an international company, and needs products that cater to the world, not just one market.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #52
Nebraska330xi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cleaner
The 5GT was not a big enough flop for BMW?
p
      07-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #53
ynguldyn
Major
Rep
Drives: the other car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
All F07's are GT's, regardless of options, so your argument about 2 vs 4 models is somewhat anal.
Tell this to everyone on this forum complaining that F31 doesn't have RWD, manual transmission, or N55 - and passing on the purchase because of that (I'm one of them btw.)

(As for anal - not two models of E61, but one. At any one time you could buy only one model of E61.)

Quote:
The drop in annual sales of the Touring after the GT was introduced
You mean "drop" as in "model cancelled"? It would really be amazing if the sales of a cancelled model continued at the previous levels. Magical even.
Quote:
Maybe the fact that the rest of the world accepts the GT is a reflection of the bias in the USA and less worldly attitude. Perception of value is different here than elsewhere. BMW is an international company, and needs products that cater to the world, not just one market.
So this is exactly where you follow BMW's thinking and therefore make the same mistake, with the important difference that they made it in the past and have realized it by now, while you haven't yet. BMW decided that US market would be so receptive to a new body style that it could fully replace another body style that had a small but very loyal following. Instead what they got was sales lost to E350 and cannibalization of F01/F02 sales. They have said as much in interviews, and even the way F07 LCI was done confirmed that: it was the first time in very many years that BMW did any noticeable body rework in an LCI (even E65's LCI changes were less significant). That's why you sound so funny when you insist on looking at 5GT as a US market success: you contradict not just the consensus of the forum, but the conclusions made by BMW executives.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #54
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The sales figures I quoted were for all markets. Obviously, stopping selling the thing in the USA is a good portion of those sales decreases (which I said, if you read things!). But if you then look at the combined sales of the Touring and the GT, the international total of both is more than had it just been the Touring for sale. Obviously, at least some of those F07 sales were for the USA. That the model has not sold as many as they hoped here is a disappointment, but from a business decision, doesn't seem too bad when looked at in total vehicle sales, when looked at for USA sales or international. ANd, my guess is that there is a higher profit margin overall on the F07.

You were the one that brought up two types of the touring, not I, comparing it to four for the GT. I just look at each as a single style, with options.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:19 AM   #55
ynguldyn
Major
Rep
Drives: the other car.

OK, let's try it in as simple a way as possible.

You said 5GT is a success in the US. It is not. Your references to international numbers are irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #56
Kenu8187
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I just hope BMW realizes how much better looking the front of the GT is than the normal f30 and updates the f30 to have the same front end with the lci. I love that front end, it's much beefier then the norm 3
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #57
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

Send a message via AIM to SE3P_to_E90
GT = Good Try... trying so hard to like one of these, and absolutely can't. the 5GT was miserable, and this 3GT is just as bad. Stick w/ the GranCoupes, those things are beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #58
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 REx

Send a message via AIM to Imola.ZHP Send a message via MSN to Imola.ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to Imola.ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
GT = Good Try... trying so hard to like one of these, and absolutely can't. the 5GT was miserable, and this 3GT is just as bad. Stick w/ the GranCoupes, those things are beautiful.
Yes, I'll take an e46 sized (and weighted) M2 GC please!

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #59
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6spd

Quote:
And I think it looks pretty good looking and better than a wagon/estate.
      07-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #60
mattu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 335GT

Quote:

I'm with you there...I've no idea why people like trashing this car so much. The X4 and X6 both look as bad or worse and likely offer a less dynamic drive than the F34. Not everyone has the same needs...I had an E30 M3 for the last 9 years, and other than fringe enthusiasts there's few people that understand the appeal of that car. My ZHP isn't big enough to comfortably transport 4 adults, and neither is my wife's e90. I've hauled around co-workers in loaner F30s a few times as well...still not what I would call comfy in the back: I can't imagine trying to fit 2 car seats in the F30.

I can't stand driving SUVs, and since the F31 offers no more rear-seat room over the F30, the GT becomes a viable option for me as I expect to have kids someday. IMO, the front half of the GT looks better than the F30/F31 anyway...I think I can get past the ungainly rear-end in the name of practicality. My main gripe with the car is the raised ride-height...really wish it was the same as the F31, but I keep hope that aftermarket suspension might be able to address it. I've thought about a 5er as well, but primarily to get the better interior...the 3GT still offers more practicality than the F10. Of course, if I could just get a 5er touring, none of this rant would be necessary.
Appreciate 0