F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 0-60 340i v 335d
GetBMWParts

01-27-2016, 02:46 AM   #23
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand
You all need to sort this out at Santa Pod.

You likely need 3 X 335 d drivers and 3 X 340i drivers.

Although from experience, I doubt you would get a petrol driver turn up, most social stuff seems to be done by diesel drivers....
Yes but Santa Pod would be more representative of a wet road race where the xDrive will have the advantage. A highly rubbers surface is no good grip wise for street tyres. Even Terry's xDrive was wheel spinning in a straight line at the pod.

Bruntingthorpe with a VBox is what should happen. And sorry, but a 340i will slaughter a 335d. Just doing a 'fast start' with no launch control, I reckon my PPK 330d will be neck and neck with a standard 335d. And I know a 340i will be significantly faster.
I agree about Santa pod being like a wet road.
When I went in my 330d s drive in Sept the 335xd beat me by 1 second @ 12.9 and most of that was down to getting off the line better due to X drive.
      01-27-2016, 02:47 AM   #24
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmheadwired View Post
So the thread I had started when considering both turned into a debate with loads of comments on one being better than the other.

The f30 340i is considerably lighter and does 0-60 in 4.8s
The f30 335d is xdrive heavier and does 0-60 in 4.6.

Surely though after this its 340 all the way being lighter and having more bhp?

Not that it matters I just didn't get the argument.

Also from reviews and real life experience feedback suggests that in true BMW style the 340i is actuall considerably quicker than its official figures. I recall someone saying they though it was as fast as their c63
Here we go.....
Why start a thread like this? Its war now.

Real world figures also show the 335D is also considerably quicker. A trip to Santa Pod vs 335D drivers is the only answer..

I can say that the X Drive has been very surprising to me in the 15000 miles covered so far. A few overtaking moves and roundabout exit accelerations I know would have had the M4 lighting up the traction the current car has just gripped and got on with it.
      01-27-2016, 02:53 AM   #25
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris10Bimmers View Post
Here we go.....

Real world figures also show the 335D is also considerably quicker. A trip to Santa Pod vs 335D drivers is the only answer..
When is someone going to post these fabled real world figures

I presume you are talking about in gear figures but when both cars are only available as auto (except 340i saloon) it is pointless quoting as it is just a case of mash your foot and go scenario and the 340i is quicker over nearly the entire range.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:54 AM   #26
pmheadwired
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30- 340i M Sport Plus SP Auto

Quote:
Here we go.....

I can say that the X Drive has been very surprising to me in the 15000 miles covered so far. A few overtaking moves and roundabout exit accelerations I know would have had the M4 lighting up the traction the current car has just gripped and got on with it.
Possibly a bad idea! lol

I am not particularly bothered which is quicker it wasn't really part of my choice. I just couldn't work out how after the initial 0 - 60 sprint people said the 335d was quicker but some explanations take care of that.

The reasons I picked the 340i was really just due to the sound and twin exhausts lol .. also a lot of advice from different dealers advising how smooth and nice it was to drive. That and all the comments about my 1mile commute being mad for a diesel.
62 Plate - F20 116d Sport manual in AW - Gone
60 Plate - MK6 VW Golf Match 2.0 TDI
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:56 AM   #27
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1966 View Post
When is someone going to post these fabled real world figures

I presume you are talking about in gear figures but when both cars are only available as auto (except 340i saloon) it is pointless quoting as it is just a case of mash your foot and go scenario and the 340i is quicker over nearly the entire range.
Where are these fabled 340i real world figures?
      01-27-2016, 02:57 AM   #28
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmheadwired
Quote:
Here we go.....

Possibly a bad idea! lol

I am not particularly bothered which is quicker it wasn't really part of my choice. I just couldn't work out how after the initial 0 - 60 sprint people said the 335d was quicker but some explanations take care of that.

The reasons I picked the 340i was really just due to the sound and twin exhausts lol .. also a lot of advice from different dealers advising how smooth and nice it was to drive. That and all the comments about my 1mile commute being mad for a diesel.
I'd say you did the right thing getting the 340i. Enjoy that lovely sound :-)
      01-27-2016, 02:58 AM   #29
snipnoob86
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D Saloon

Quote:
Quote:
Here we go.....

Possibly a bad idea! lol

great choice, now lets get to santa pod when you have it in your posession and settle this
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:58 AM   #30
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Where are these fabled 340i real world figures?
Exactly who has them? The 335d drivers keep stating 'in the real world' and you just mentioned 'real world figures' but they never seem to materialise
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:03 AM   #31
pmheadwired
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30- 340i M Sport Plus SP Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipnoob86
Quote:
Quote:
Here we go.....

Possibly a bad idea! lol

great choice, now lets get to santa pod when you have it in your posession and settle this
I'd be scared to damage my new car
62 Plate - F20 116d Sport manual in AW - Gone
60 Plate - MK6 VW Golf Match 2.0 TDI
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:05 AM   #32
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1966 View Post
Exactly who has them? The 335d drivers keep stating 'in the real world' and you just mentioned 'real world figures' but they never seem to materialise
Pretty much every BMW beats its stated 0-60 in real world figures. Porsches usually considerably so. I was merely replying to pmheadwired opening gambit of the 340i beating its BMW rated figures. As pretty all cars do its almost irrelevant as both go from 4.8 to 4.6 best figure in a magazine test etc. I've not data and certainly am not inclined to bother getting a VBox and post some stats. I suspect because of the 'D' and the lack US owners there will lots less 'D' 0-60 tests. In the states as you probably know they often have a rolling start too which shaves off another 0.2s or something. Thus you will see lots of 340i stats looking very low eventually.

One thing I would say is that in terms of repeatability of maximum acceleration 0-60, an X-Drive 335D would take the 340i most times, it would only be close in perfect dry conditions.

All of this is highly relevant of course as we have bought these as race cars, and traffic light GP and then onto max speed of 145mph each day
      01-27-2016, 03:05 AM   #33
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmheadwired View Post
I'd be scared to damage my new car
I will bung mine down there, let me know the dates and we will find out who is 'top dog at the Pod'
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:11 AM   #34
Cherub77
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i

What's wrong with using the xdrive advantage at Santa pod? It's part of the package which makes it a better all round car

Also I think when people say real world, they mean on a wet and nasty morning like today, xdrive gives you the point and squirt capability, no traction issues, just consistent performance.

No twin exit exhaust though....
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:20 AM   #35
KS_340i
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue F31 340i

Diesel sounds shit. Nuff said.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:35 AM   #36
Cherub77
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_340i
Diesel sounds shit. Nuff said.
The 340i slightly less shit. You could always buy one of those exhausts that make it pop and bang like a 2 stroke!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:38 AM   #37
SpaceHorsey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Buying a BMW that's 4x4 and diesel is just missing the point. I can only assume that buyers of 335d's were also looking at land rovers and Volvo xc90s as well.

Front engine, rear drive, 50:50 weight distribution..... PETROL! That is the BMW way!

Diesel is for lorries, tractors, trains and such. :LOL:
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:50 AM   #38
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub77 View Post
What's wrong with using the xdrive advantage at Santa pod? It's part of the package which makes it a better all round car

Also I think when people say real world, they mean on a wet and nasty morning like today, xdrive gives you the point and squirt capability, no traction issues, just consistent performance.

No twin exit exhaust though....
Issue being....Santa Pod is slower than a wet road even. My laptimer was showing my 0-100km/h as 6.1 seconds. On dry tarmac it is 5.1 and even on a wet road is no worse than 5.7.

My fastest run at Santa Pod was the time I forgot to select Manual mode. Set off in Sport+ in S mode and changed manually at the point the car was going to on it's own and got a double shift with the slight pause that you get, 1st to 3rd. That is clearly not the fastest way to accelerate in high traction conditions, but it worked at the Pod, best time of the day for me.

As mentioned the best solution would be to meet at Bruntingthorpe with a Vbox.....you can go on to higher speeds too......although understand why a 335d owner wouldn't want to go there against a 340i.

Coming back to which is fastest, in my opinion, the 335i and 335d are very close, with the 335d having the traction advantage which is then a disadvantage as the traction phase is passed, in gear the 335i is quicker......but the 340i moves on from there, so is easily the quicker car.

All 3/4 series from 330i up are quick enough on the road, and ultimately it is the driver that dictates who is actually faster. I don't mean in level of driving ability either, more on a risk level.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:51 AM   #39
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceHorsey
Buying a BMW that's 4x4 and diesel is just missing the point. I can only assume that buyers of 335d's were also looking at land rovers and Volvo xc90s as well.

Front engine, rear drive, 50:50 weight distribution..... PETROL! That is the BMW way!

That is the Bmw way indeed but on the other hand they do make the best diesels in the world too! I have always been a rwd nut and always will be. I only have the 640d as I wouldn't spend the type of money m6's go for. Always a compromise unfortunately but I'm happy :-)
      01-27-2016, 03:55 AM   #40
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

I love how people bash the xdrive without driving it. In everyday driving you wouldn't know the difference. In wet conditions you would just be pleasantly surprised at how quick you can get away.
The only time it truly shows a difference is when you might want to hang your back end out for the entire circumference of a roundabout. For this, sdrive is truly king, I know from experience. But for a little tail wag powering out of a bend, xdrive still delivers.
So, for all the "rear drive" purists, do you really hang your back end out all the time? Or are you just jumping on the bandwagon?
I love rwd but, unless you are a hooligan, you won't hardly tell the difference.

Me personally, purely for a fun car, I would go 340i. For a real, day to day car I have bought 335d. But, if I was buying purely for fun, it wouldn't be a 5 seat exec saloon..
Appreciate 6
335dX430.00
      01-27-2016, 03:57 AM   #41
Cherub77
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceHorsey

I can't help but bite this morning! I couldn't disagree more, I'm buying a BMW estate car because of the Diesel engine technology and 4wd. It was better then the equivalent Audi/Merc.
Appreciate 2
335dX430.00
      01-27-2016, 04:00 AM   #42
Cherub77
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dJa
I love how people bash the xdrive without driving it. In everyday driving you wouldn't know the difference. In wet conditions you would just be pleasantly surprised at how quick you can get away.
The only time it truly shows a difference is when you might want to hang your back end out for the entire circumference of a roundabout. For this, sdrive is truly king, I know from experience. But for a little tail wag powering out of a bend, xdrive still delivers.
So, for all the "rear drive" purists, do you really hang your back end out all the time? Or are you just jumping on the bandwagon?
I love rwd but, unless you are a hooligan, you won't hardly tell the difference.

Me personally, purely for a fun car, I would go 340i. For a real, day to day car I have bought 335d. But, if I was buying purely for fun, it wouldn't be a 5 seat exec saloon..
I completely agree.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2016, 04:03 AM   #43
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandanbmw View Post
That is the Bmw way indeed but on the other hand they do make the best diesels in the world too! I have always been a rwd nut and always will be. I only have the 640d as I wouldn't spend the type of money m6's go for. Always a compromise unfortunately but I'm happy :-)
My thoughts exactly, I would much rather sacrifice a few tenths performance wise on the road for that magical RWD sensation.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2016, 04:20 AM   #44
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub77 View Post
I can't help but bite this morning! I couldn't disagree more, I'm buying a BMW estate car because of the Diesel engine technology and 4wd. It was better then the equivalent Audi/Merc.
Eeeesh, so a BMW xDrive is like an Audi....but with a better engine?
Appreciate 0