F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Buy Tire
Studio RSR

07-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Buy Tire

Where do you guys buy tires? I have the wheel and tire plan, as long as I stick with Oem I'm covered, but most third parties offer warranties for a trivial amount so I can switch to other brands. I was thinking of trying tire rack, not sure if I should switch from p zeros to another run flat or go with go flats as I replaced my rear tires but not the fronts which will need to be replaced soon. These tires don't last that long so I could just do all 4 with something that has longer tread life, what are your recommendations for run flats and go flats?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Where do you guys buy tires? I have the wheel and tire plan, as long as I stick with Oem I'm covered, but most third parties offer warranties for a trivial amount so I can switch to other brands. I was thinking of trying tire rack, not sure if I should switch from p zeros to another run flat or go with go flats as I replaced my rear tires but not the fronts which will need to be replaced soon. These tires don't last that long so I could just do all 4 with something that has longer tread life, what are your recommendations for run flats and go flats?
I use either Costco (often the cheapest for Bridgestone & Michelin after including mount/balance), or tirerack.com. I have also used Discount tire (tires.com) in the past.

I prefer RFT's, but many people like go-flats.

IMO, Pirelli is over-priced and over-hyped. It's clear from almost any tire review you care to read that Michelin is #1; Bridgestone close, and others below. There's a performance tire review in this month's Car & Driver (not the ultimate class, but the next down.) Worth perusing.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Quote:
I use either Costco (often the cheapest for Bridgestone & Michelin after including mount/balance), or tirerack.com. I have also used Discount tire (tires.com) in the past.

I prefer RFT's, but many people like go-flats.

IMO, Pirelli is over-priced and over-hyped. It's clear from almost any tire review you care to read that Michelin is #1; Bridgestone close, and others below. There's a performance tire review in this month's Car & Driver (not the ultimate class, but the next down.) Worth perusing.
Cool thanks for the info! I figured tire rack was a good deal. Does Michelin do run flats as well? Yeah I'm thinking of sticking with run flats myself, they seem fine to me and I like the convenience. I assume my rims would be covered even with non oem tires but I would need new tires in that situation as well, so I'll likely stick with oem and just make sure the tire I'm using is on BMWs approved tire list.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Cool thanks for the info! I figured tire rack was a good deal. Does Michelin do run flats as well? Yeah I'm thinking of sticking with run flats myself, they seem fine to me and I like the convenience. I assume my rims would be covered even with non oem tires but I would need new tires in that situation as well, so I'll likely stick with oem and just make sure the tire I'm using is on BMWs approved tire list.
Michelin absolutely makes RFT's, and is an OEM for BMW, as is Bridgestone (and Continental and Goodyear and Pirelli, maybe a couple others.)

I'm kind of a Michelin fanboi, but they've never let me down.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Quote:
Michelin absolutely makes RFT's, and is an OEM for BMW, as is Bridgestone (and Continental and Goodyear and Pirelli, maybe a couple others.)

I'm kind of a Michelin fanboi, but they've never let me down.
Cool. I'll need to make sure it's oem for my vehicle, like the exact model of vehicle and tire so if I get it done thru tire rack and I get a puncture I can bring it to the dealer to replace and they have plenty in stock. Like with my current p zeros it was no hassle to get them replaced with the exact tire, just cost $$ at the dealer, perhaps the price of convenience I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #6
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
My local mechanic, who will match Tire Rack's prices.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 11:05 PM   #7
Kenny's X5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

My last couple sets have been through Discount Tire. They have great sales if you get them during a holiday
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00