F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sold my 2015 WRX for a 2015 335I - Impressions
Studio RSR

03-18-2018, 11:52 PM   #1
greekd3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i MSPORT

Sold my 2015 WRX for a 2015 335I - Impressions

I recently sold my 2015 WRX Manual (newer FA20 twin scroll motor) for a 2015 335Ix manual. When it comes to aesthetics, comfort and features, I do not miss my WRX. However, I do miss the exhilarating and forgiving experience of driving my WRX. It's lightweight agility, built to hammer transmission, thrilling low end torque, and flat four "makes all the right sounds" motor are hard to move on from. My WRX was stage 2, which in the rally world translates to a turbo back exhaust and an aggressive tune. I was also running some other boltons like intake, tgv deletes, boost controller, etc.

Absolutely no regrets, especially when approaching my alpine white 335I at night and seeing the under handle LEDs light up while using comfort access to sink into the amazing interior equipped in sport line - Loving the red accents on the black interior. I am a little confused though on the capabilities of my new car. The throttle response is too unpredictable to launch without bogging or execute rev match consistently, the rear feels too heavy to throw around corners and I feel like I am violating the transmission when catching gear during WOT. My gut tells me most of these discoveries are a result of overactive hardware and software, overriding driver input, but I'm not convinced. It's possible I'm failing to recognize the unleashed potential of a stock vehicle. After all, a simple stage 1 remap on the WRX eliminated an infamous rev hang issue that completely changed the way the car responded to spirited driving.

Is my 335Ix going to just be faster once I begin modding or will some of these challenges also resolve?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 12:48 AM   #2
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekd3 View Post
I recently sold my 2015 WRX Manual (newer FA20 twin scroll motor) for a 2015 335Ix manual. When it comes to aesthetics, comfort and features, I do not miss my WRX. However, I do miss the exhilarating and forgiving experience of driving my WRX. It's lightweight agility, built to hammer transmission, thrilling low end torque, and flat four "makes all the right sounds" motor are hard to move on from. My WRX was stage 2, which in the rally world translates to a turbo back exhaust and an aggressive tune. I was also running some other boltons like intake, tgv deletes, boost controller, etc.

Absolutely no regrets, especially when approaching my alpine white 335I at night and seeing the under handle LEDs light up while using comfort access to sink into the amazing interior equipped in sport line - Loving the red accents on the black interior. I am a little confused though on the capabilities of my new car. The throttle response is too unpredictable to launch without bogging or execute rev match consistently, the rear feels too heavy to throw around corners and I feel like I am violating the transmission when catching gear during WOT. My gut tells me most of these discoveries are a result of overactive hardware and software, overriding driver input, but I'm not convinced. It's possible I'm failing to recognize the unleashed potential of a stock vehicle. After all, a simple stage 1 remap on the WRX eliminated an infamous rev hang issue that completely changed the way the car responded to spirited driving.

Is my 335Ix going to just be faster once I begin modding or will some of these challenges also resolve?
Well first of all you made the mistake of getting a sportline instead of msport.

Second, at least you don't have to worry about blowing your engine with a n55 like the FA20.

Third and lastly, Its much easier to get more power than the WRX, thats for sure.

Xdrive 335i weighs about 3900lbs with driver inside, WRX weighs about 3500ish with driver so you will feel the difference there.

Not to mention sway bars on the 335i are 23 front 12 rear, which is why the rear is so heavy. The suspension is also more softer for comfort.

Everything can easily be solved with coilovers, FBO, and sways.

Trust me, BMWs straight six makes much better sounds than a subaru ever will. I personally hate how the FA20s sound, and even more the EJ (don't even get me started.)
      03-19-2018, 01:01 AM   #3
greekd3
Private
Rep

Thanks for the feedback and I agree the 335i is the superior car.

While I would have preferred an Msport, I had a strict criteria including alpine white exterior, AWD and 6spd Manual. The sacrifice was Msport trim, but I definitely do not mind the exclusive red accents throughout the interior with the Sport Line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Well first of all you made the mistake of getting a sportline instead of msport.

Second, at least you don't have to worry about blowing your engine with a n55 like the FA20.

Third and lastly, Its much easier to get more power than the WRX, thats for sure.

Xdrive 335i weighs about 3900lbs with driver inside, WRX weighs about 3500ish with driver so you will feel the difference there.

Not to mention sway bars on the 335i are 23 front 12 rear, which is why the rear is so heavy. The suspension is also more softer for comfort.

Trust me, BMWs straight six makes much better sounds than a subaru ever will. I personally hate how the FA20s sound, and even more the EJ (don't even get me started.)
Appreciate 2
DeeKay553.00
cjack29.50
      03-19-2018, 01:14 AM   #4
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback and I agree the 335i is the superior car.

While I would have preferred an Msport, I had a strict criteria including alpine white exterior, AWD and 6spd Manual. The sacrifice was Msport trim, but I definitely do not mind the exclusive red accents throughout the interior with the Sport Line.
Msport comes with more than the trim.

It has extra coolers, adaptive suspension option, more aggressive bodykit that has functional vents for the kit, and a small bump in power with the MPPK.

It also has the upgraded transmission for the 8AT and I believe 6MT as well.
      03-19-2018, 01:43 AM   #5
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:

No, same manual transmission.

Awesome to see another purist on the board. I know we need them. We seem to be a dying breed.

If you don't have the M sport suspension on the car, you should probably look into coil overs or what not. If you have the all wheel drive X Drive, well that's a whole different issue, you can do searching suspension for that…

For power, it's well-documented on here. JB4 with Dow pipe.

Pictur3s?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 02:08 AM   #6
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Welcome to the group! You'd find the 335 being a great place to be especially after a long day of work and on the commute back home.

Chaungo, I can tell from your signature that you care about the noise the car makes.. that Borla Atak catback exhaust with catless DP must sound thunderous!!
      03-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #7
greekd3
Private
Rep

Yes absolutely,

The primary reason I got out of the WRX was for comfort and presentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
Welcome to the group! You'd find the 335 being a great place to be especially after a long day of work and on the commute back home.

Chaungo, I can tell from your signature that you care about the noise the car makes.. that Borla Atak catback exhaust with catless DP must sound thunderous!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #8
greekd3
Private
Rep

I'm aware the Msport comes with many enhancements at a very low cost difference. The only trade off I don't mind with the Sport Line compared to the Msport is the red over the blue accents. Looks good with white on black (I have dark tint, black wheels, black kidneys, black lip spoiler, black leather, etc).

BTW, I'm unsure if this was an option or if it is included with Sport Line, but my car definitely has the Msport suspension. The dealer mentioned it's part of the Sport Line package, but it's possible it might be an a la carte option the original owner bought into.

My biggest regret not having Msport is the steering wheel..

Quote:

It has extra coolers, adaptive suspension option, more aggressive bodykit that has functional vents for the kit, and a small bump in power with the MPPK.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #9
greekd3
Private
Rep

Pictures attached,

I do like my manual transmission and any car that doesn't come with one is not in my consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
No, same manual transmission.

Awesome to see another purist on the board. I know we need them. We seem to be a dying breed.

If you don't have the M sport suspension on the car, you should probably look into coil overs or what not. If you have the all wheel drive X Drive, well that's a whole different issue, you can do searching suspension for that…

For power, it's well-documented on here. JB4 with Dow pipe.

Pictur3s?
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
cjack29.50
eluded3032.00
      03-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #10
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

SportLine bro's! Congrats on the pick up. Don't let the M-Sport fans get you down!
Attached Images

Last edited by XxThe_RemedyXx; 03-21-2018 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 2
DeeKay553.00
cjack29.50
      03-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #11
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

BTW are you Greek? Because I'm a hairy Greek.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #12
bobalis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F33 N55

Quote:
Pictures attached,

I do like my manual transmission and any car that doesn't come with one is not in my consideration.
That's a good looking car... for a sport line All kidding aside, welcome to the family, that is a good looking car, especially with the black trim and wheels. It is a shame that the non Msport wheel is so crappy though.

Tuning the car will transform your vehicle. You'll probably end up missing the WRX even less if you go FBO plus a tune. Myself I have a catted DP, IC, axleback exhaust, CP and a stage 2 OTS tune from BM3. My car went from a powerful Lux/sport sedan to a straight jerkmobile and I love every second of it

As others have mentioned, this car is bigger and fatter so if you'll need to upgrade suspension and tires (if you're still on run flats) if you want to get close to the same level of "toss-ability" as a WRX.

To Sum up: Congrats on the new car, now spend 4k more to make it better

Last edited by bobalis; 03-19-2018 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Corrected exhaust type
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #13
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
I'm aware the Msport comes with many enhancements at a very low cost difference. The only trade off I don't mind with the Sport Line compared to the Msport is the red over the blue accents. Looks good with white on black (I have dark tint, black wheels, black kidneys, black lip spoiler, black leather, etc).

BTW, I'm unsure if this was an option or if it is included with Sport Line, but my car definitely has the Msport suspension. The dealer mentioned it's part of the Sport Line package, but it's possible it might be an a la carte option the original owner bought into.

My biggest regret not having Msport is the steering wheel..
Hmmm. The X-Drive cars do not come with the 704 M-Sport suspension.

You can use this site to break down your VIN to see what equipment your car came with (perhaps you have adaptive and that's what the dealer was calling "sport suspension):

https://www.bmwvin.com/

Best to know what you're starting with before you think about changing anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #14
Ultimateone
OG E46Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 24 Champ White CTR

Congrats I have owned a 15 WRX and 17 STI so I know how you're feeling.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #15
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

As others have said, all xDrive cars come with the xDrive suspension. No sport suspension, no msport suspension. So if you want something with less roll, you need to "upgrade" to coilovers (personally, due to the roads we drive on around here, I prefer the xDrive suspension in my wife's 328xd.) And someone thought that Adaptive was included in msport - that is untrue: Adaptive is a separate option (included only with the recent Track Package). You'll have to run the VIN to see if you have it.

We had an alpine white 525i E34 ('91); I have always liked the color. Great spec for that car. Some people like to remove the clutch delay valve (CDV) to increase the immediacy of the clutch and help launches.

Frankly, while a tune (especially a flash tune rather than JB4) will help the tip-in/startoff problems, things are better with the 8at. Yeah, I know all about the MT love, but the AT is better from any objective standpoint (performance and mileage.) Note that the new M5 with 8at just crushed Mercedes, Porsche and CTS-V in the Car & Driver that just came yesterday. BTW: it does 0-60 in 2.8s, 1/4 in 10.9 (IIRC) - another case of BMW under-stating performance figures.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #16
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

I was under the impression that only the Track Handling Package has the extra coolers hence the fog light delete to allow airflow to them. The M Sport, apart from the suspension and perhaps brakes is all cosmetic.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #17
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

I too came from WRX land. If you want a MT the options are slim these days.

The bimmer just needs a ton of mods to be what I'd like it to. I never had much of an itch to do anything to the wrx (mine was a 2013 2.5, loaded). It didn't need much. The chassis on that car was great. Even the stock tires were good. It underserved of course but it didn't pitch too much and it _stuck.

I was about to do the brakes and the Cobb stage 2, but it developed a very stupid very small yet very experiensive mechanical problem I wasn't willing to do. Subaru problems. Plus people kept revving etc, I am not 23 anymore. Oh and the interior was a rattle trap pile of junk. (Sadly the 340 isn't all that much better in the cabin noises department).

The 340 just needs a bunch of mods. At some point I wonder if a used M3 would make more sense. Cosmetics, wheels, tires, coilovers, brakes, bushings. Now that the stock suspension is thankfully in the bin (where it belongs, absolute rubbish) I think the transmission mount bushing and the open diffs are the worst. As soon as the brakes are fried they'll be changed as well. But it's getting there. Most people on here will just talk about exhausts and tunes, which is well and good, but to me the power level is good enough for now while it drives like a pig.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 09:04 PM   #18
greekd3
Private
Rep

It sounds like the AWD will require some necessary suspension mods to have the car become an autocross contender However, my first mod is always a tuning platform and I have heard endless mixed reviews regarding JB4 vs MHD. Unfortunately my COBB Accessport would work if my 335I was a 2014, but it does not have a supporting application for 2015+.

I could use some help in deciding whether to go JB4 or MHD. I am not concerned about a couple hundred dollars cost difference and a few extra ponies will not make the difference for me. My primary objective is to tune with the platform that is more elusive from becoming the suspect of a denied warranty claim. My understanding is that JB4 leaves less of a trace, but it requires some physical manipulation when reverting back to stock.

I appreciate any updated thoughts on this matter.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 11:35 PM   #19
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It sounds like the AWD will require some necessary suspension mods to have the car become an autocross contender However, my first mod is always a tuning platform and I have heard endless mixed reviews regarding JB4 vs MHD. Unfortunately my COBB Accessport would work if my 335I was a 2014, but it does not have a supporting application for 2015+.

I could use some help in deciding whether to go JB4 or MHD. I am not concerned about a couple hundred dollars cost difference and a few extra ponies will not make the difference for me. My primary objective is to tune with the platform that is more elusive from becoming the suspect of a denied warranty claim. My understanding is that JB4 leaves less of a trace, but it requires some physical manipulation when reverting back to stock.

I appreciate any updated thoughts on this matter.
Go BM3, 4 minute unlock and 40 second map change. Best customer support as well if you need help, they will respond within the day. Flash back to stock and it will erase any trace of the tune. Their map pack includes every single OTS map for a single price.

MHD is still in beta and weeks away from full release. It also takes a long time to unlock and flash a map.

JB4 is a piggyback and does not control AFR or such.
      03-20-2018, 12:01 AM   #20
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:

I am a little confused though on the capabilities of my new car. The throttle response is too unpredictable to launch without bogging or execute rev match consistently, the rear feels too heavy to throw around corners and I feel like I am violating the transmission when catching gear during WOT. My gut tells me most of these discoveries are a result of overactive hardware and software, overriding driver input, but I'm not convinced. It's possible I'm failing to recognize the unleashed potential of a stock vehicle. After all, a simple stage 1 remap on the WRX eliminated an infamous rev hang issue that completely changed the way the car responded to spirited driving.

The rear of your 335i is definitely heavier. Your WRX’s weight distribution was probably around 60/40 front to rear. The 335i is about 51/49. So you went from a front-heavy car to one that’s more balanced.

However, sadly BMW has been dialing in more and more understeer to the 3-series over the years so it actually feels less balanced than it is in reality. On your particular vehicle it’s compounded by the tall, soft springs and shocks as others have mentioned. If you got staggered tires that also adds to the understeer factor.

If you’re into modding and want more neutral balance, then the springs and shocks are obvious places to start. IIRC the xDrive models and non-adjustable shocks (THP has the adjustable shocks) are 20mm taller than RWD sport suspension models. Add a little thicker sway bar (or go to a square tire setup if you’re running staggered) if you want to make the tail livelier.

Regarding the throttle being unpredictable - are you driving in sport mode? Sport mode boosts the early part of the throttle pedal to be more responsive. Comfort mode uses a more linear throttle map. One or the other might address your issue. You might also be activating traction control on your launch if the tires are spinning, which would retard the throttle. You’d need to turn off all the nannies if you want to do a burnout.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:28 AM   #21
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Think'in of going this route.... don't want to really lower it... this is .8" drop (20mm) which would be nice and still handle urban streets... what about bump stops?

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...M+Sport+Brakes

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Bilstein-...35-207481.html

https://propartsusa.com/products/Meg...waAt8xEALw_wcB

https://propartsusa.com/products/Meg...caAtMZEALw_wcB
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:56 AM   #22
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
Think'in of going this route.... don't want to really lower it... this is .8" drop (20mm) which would be nice and still handle urban streets... what about bump stops?

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...M+Sport+Brakes

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Bilstein-...35-207481.html

https://propartsusa.com/products/Meg...waAt8xEALw_wcB

https://propartsusa.com/products/Meg...caAtMZEALw_wcB
I would almost sacrifice the sways, or just spring for a set of coilovers with height and dampening adjustability. That way you know you can dial in the ride height and softness exactly to your liking.

This is from my experience running both spring setups and coilovers on two different cars.

And I'll throw in another vote for bootmod3. I just went with their tune as well as supporting mods and would highly recommend at least going stage 1
Appreciate 2
greekd334.00
FastF30521.00