F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anyone getting the ActiveHybrid 3?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #89
Arktctr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d MSport

Does the sportline option on the Activehybrid3 have the sport suspension (lowered) or is it like the xdrive models? All of the pictures I've seen look "non-lowered" but I was curious as it doesn't seem like many have been delivered (at least on these boards)...

2014 328d MSport ED: 5/2/2014
2013 F30 Activehybrid3 MSport (Gone)
2012 F30 328i Sportline (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #90
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktctr View Post
Does the sportline option on the Activehybrid3 have the sport suspension (lowered) or is it like the xdrive models? All of the pictures I've seen look "non-lowered" but I was curious as it doesn't seem like many have been delivered (at least on these boards)...
The AH3 doesn't get the Sports Suspension (i.e. no 10mm drop) in either the Sports line or M-sport package. However, it appears you can still get the Adaptive M suspension, which does have the drop.

I'm going to drive an AH3 tomorrow morning.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #91
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered the AH3. I test drove one that was a Luxury Line this morning. Obviously it didn't have the Dynamic Handling Package, so it wasn't quite as sporty as I wanted, but I'm ordering DHP for my car.

The car felt good, very "solid". I don't know if it was my imagination feeling the batteries in the trunk, or not. Yes, it felt like you had a little bit of something in the trunk. But it didn't feel heavy, so much as it did solid. Maybe the low center of gravity of the batteries?

The implementation of the A.S.S. was pretty incredible. No shudder effect like you get with the N20, and much smoother than even with the N55. When you have it in Comfort mode, it typically turns off the engine just when you're coasting and applying the brakes. The start-up is imperceptible. You would not know it, except for the lack of noise. The intake and exhaust noise from the N55 was less than with the standard 335i. I can't really say how much, because I didn't drive them back to back. But the car was rather quiet. Probably about as quiet as a 535i.

I like the torque! You really don't have to be concerned with what gear you're in. This thing launches you, at any speed. The torque was definitely more apparent than what I had in my '12 M3

The new Nav was great as well. I didn't play with it extensively, but the updated graphics seemed sharper than the current Nav.

So, being that I was already "set" on a standard 335i, I used the $3500 Eco Credit, plus some more aggressive negotiating to get the AH3 down to ~1$K more than the regular 335i M-sport that I was ready to order. Interesting tidbit: there are a few options that are free on a AH3. The heated steering wheel (even with M-sport) is N/C. Also, Lane Departure Warning/Forward Collision Warning (5AD) and Speed Limit Info (8TH) are both N/C options. You have to order these separately, not part of Driver Assistance Plus package. The $0 charge for these shows up both on Build Your Own BMW site, as well as on my Vehicle Inquiry Report. That's a $700 savings.

My final build came to:
ActiveHybrid 3
Black Sapphire Metallic
ZMM M-sport
ZDH Driver Assistance Package
ZPP Premium Package
ZTP Technology Package
2TB Sport Auto
417/415 Sunshades
494 Heated Front Seats
5AC Auto High Beams
5AD Lane Departure
8TH Speed Limit Info
688 Harmon Kardon
400M 18" wheels
$64,845 MSRP

After Eco Credit/Loyalty/Holiday/USAA/negotiation, my MSRP was $55,095.

I'm production week 46, but I suppose it could start building today. I'll be doing PCD in January, I wonder if they'll even have an AH3 for me to race around the track with?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #92
Arktctr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
The AH3 doesn't get the Sports Suspension (i.e. no 10mm drop) in either the Sports line or M-sport package. However, it appears you can still get the Adaptive M suspension, which does have the drop.

I'm going to drive an AH3 tomorrow morning.

...thats the part I haven't been able to verify yet...whether adding Adaptive M gives you the lower ride height...the only thing I've seen is that M-Sport and Sport Line do not give you lower ride height (as they do in non-AH3)...

2014 328d MSport ED: 5/2/2014
2013 F30 Activehybrid3 MSport (Gone)
2012 F30 328i Sportline (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #93
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktctr View Post
...thats the part I haven't been able to verify yet...whether adding Adaptive M gives you the lower ride height...the only thing I've seen is that M-Sport and Sport Line do not give you lower ride height (as they do in non-AH3)...
I'm fairly sure you get lower height with Adaptive M on the AH3.

The reason you don't get 10mm lower on the AH3 with Sport/M-sport is because Sport Suspension is simply not available, period, on the AH3.

Adding Adaptive M always seems to give you 10mm lower, no matter what.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #94
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Aye. That has always been banded around on here as fact. The M Adapt does lower the X-Drive by 10mm
      11-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #95
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

So, will I be the first guy here to take delivery of an AH3? Or the first with AH3 + M-sport?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #96
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered the AH3. I test drove one that was a Luxury Line this morning. Obviously it didn't have the Dynamic Handling Package, so it wasn't quite as sporty as I wanted, but I'm ordering DHP for my car.

The car felt good, very "solid". I don't know if it was my imagination feeling the batteries in the trunk, or not. Yes, it felt like you had a little bit of something in the trunk. But it didn't feel heavy, so much as it did solid. Maybe the low center of gravity of the batteries?

The implementation of the A.S.S. was pretty incredible. No shudder effect like you get with the N20, and much smoother than even with the N55. When you have it in Comfort mode, it typically turns off the engine just when you're coasting and applying the brakes. The start-up is imperceptible. You would not know it, except for the lack of noise. The intake and exhaust noise from the N55 was less than with the standard 335i. I can't really say how much, because I didn't drive them back to back. But the car was rather quiet. Probably about as quiet as a 535i.

I like the torque! You really don't have to be concerned with what gear you're in. This thing launches you, at any speed. The torque was definitely more apparent than what I had in my '12 M3

The new Nav was great as well. I didn't play with it extensively, but the updated graphics seemed sharper than the current Nav.

So, being that I was already "set" on a standard 335i, I used the $3500 Eco Credit, plus some more aggressive negotiating to get the AH3 down to ~1$K more than the regular 335i M-sport that I was ready to order. Interesting tidbit: there are a few options that are free on a AH3. The heated steering wheel (even with M-sport) is N/C. Also, Lane Departure Warning/Forward Collision Warning (5AD) and Speed Limit Info (8TH) are both N/C options. You have to order these separately, not part of Driver Assistance Plus package. The $0 charge for these shows up both on Build Your Own BMW site, as well as on my Vehicle Inquiry Report. That's a $700 savings.

My final build came to:
ActiveHybrid 3
Black Sapphire Metallic
ZMM M-sport
ZPP Premium Package
ZTP Technology Package
2TB Sport Auto
417/415 Sunshades
494 Heated Front Seats
5AC Auto High Beams
5AD Lane Departure
8TH Speed Limit Info
688 Harmon Kardon
400M 18" wheels
$64,845 MSRP

I'm production week 46, but I suppose it could start building today. I'll be doing PCD in January, I wonder if they'll even have an AH3 for me to race around the track with?
Wow sick build and strong negotiations!
I landed around $8k under you, with "just" a base 335i + Tech + Cold Weather + Premium, but I think the AH3 provides strong value for within city drivers (I do mostly highway so didn't make sense for me).

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #97
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Wow sick build and strong negotiations!
I landed around $8k under you, with "just" a base 335i + Tech + Cold Weather + Premium, but I think the AH3 provides strong value for within city drivers (I do mostly highway so didn't make sense for me).
Thanks. I think I got everything but Parking Assist, and the 19" 403M wheels (kinda odd with a hybrid?).

My commute in the evening is very heavy stop-and-go, so I am anxious to see just how well the AH3 can do. In the mornings, and other times, I'm able to stretch it out a bit, so the power of the AH3 should be lots of fun.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #98
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
What does ASS have to do with the technology in the ActiveHybrid 3 that doesn't apply to a 328 or 335i?
I believe he's saying that if people don't like the already included gas saving features on the F30s that have been released, they're probably not going to care about other ones that come with a price tag in the thousands.

Damn. That was a good summation of intent!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #99
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

So I guess I am the first member here actually getting one of these? Well, I'm picking it up at PCD on Jan 18th, so you can expect pics and about 1100 miles of driving impressions shortly thereafter

Last edited by SamS; 11-08-2012 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #100
Itskoji
Rep
Drives: Activehybrid 3

Ah3

Quote:
So I guess I am the first member here actually getting one of these? Well, I'm picking it up at PCD on Jan 18th, so you can expect pics and about 1100 miles of driving impressions shortly thereafter

Congrats on the order! My AH3 just changed order status from 'finished production' to 'en route to US' yesterday... 28 days on the boat I am told... I can't wait to take delivery... There is a couple other guys on here who ordered like last summer so I imagine they must be getting them soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #101
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itskoji View Post
Congrats on the order! My AH3 just changed order status from 'finished production' to 'en route to US' yesterday... 28 days on the boat I am told... I can't wait to take delivery... There is a couple other guys on here who ordered like last summer so I imagine they must be getting them soon.
Cool! How did you order your car?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #102
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

I'm heavily considering picking up an AH3. It is not the highest mpg option available but it's global warming score is fantastic. It is a great option for me since I don't like tinny, gutless feeling of the Prius but want luxury and sportiness of my M3 & X5 cars. I am going to check one out today.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #103
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldramos View Post
I'm heavily considering picking up an AH3. It is not the highest mpg option available but it's global warming score is fantastic. It is a great option for me since I don't like tinny, gutless feeling of the Prius but want luxury and sportiness of my M3 & X5 cars. I am going to check one out today.
I'm coming directly from a 2012 E92 M3, which I absolutely loved. Sure, the AH3 is no M3, but it is a really quick, fun ride.

Just driving into work today in my daily Accord, I start realizing just how often the motor is running, at lights, coasting to lights, etc. Seems like 25% of the time, the motor is running with virtually need to propel the car forward. Just burnin' gas... Driving the AH3 just makes me realize how much of a smarter car it is, vs. traditional offerings. This kind of thing make so much sense, I'm sure it will start taking off, not only within BMW's range, but throughout affordable cars in the next 10 years.

Definitely try to drive one. I'm not naive to think it's the right car for everyone. But it's definitely an interesting way to go about living with a "fun" car.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #104
iM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 AH3M

Quote:
So, will I be the first guy here to take delivery of an AH3? Or the first with AH3 + M-sport?
we shall see.
My current status is "vehicle has been released to the carrier and is awaiting Transportation to the port of exit".
what's yours?

btw, in order to get the holiday+loyalty credits, must you finance through bmwfs?
      11-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #105
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:

My final build came to:
ActiveHybrid 3
Black Sapphire Metallic
ZMM M-sport
ZPP Premium Package
ZTP Technology Package
2TB Sport Auto
417/415 Sunshades
494 Heated Front Seats
5AC Auto High Beams
5AD Lane Departure
8TH Speed Limit Info
688 Harmon Kardon
400M 18" wheels
$64,845 MSRP

Looks good. I was at the PC in October and they had only 2012 335i Sports. They had several in different colors and all loaded to the gills with options.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #106
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iM View Post
we shall see.
My current status is "vehicle has been released to the carrier and is awaiting Transportation to the port of exit".
what's yours?

btw, in order to get the holiday+loyalty credits, must you finance through bmwfs?
Yes, to take advantage of the $1750 Loyalty/HC, you must use BMWFS @ 3.29%. Taking the $1750 worked out better for me vs. 1.49% via PenFed. I will likely still try to refinance immediately after purchase via PenFed, if BMW FS will allow for it.

I'm still at Status 112. However, PCD already sent me my confirmation email for January pick up. I'm guessing I'll hit 150 any day now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Looks good. I was at the PC in October and they had only 2012 335i Sports. They had several in different colors and all loaded to the gills with options.
I've been really curious if they'll have an AH3 by the time I get there. Ultimately, I'll be satisfied if they have a 335i with Dynamic Handling package for me to drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #107
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've been really curious if they'll have an AH3 by the time I get there. Ultimately, I'll be satisfied if they have a 335i with Dynamic Handling package for me to drive.

It was a lot of fun, well worth the trip. Ripped some serious rubber off the Continental's they use on most of the cars at the PC. Literally! Twice had to change cars due to chunks of rubber coming off and exposing steel. Seems that Continental kinda sponsors it.

We drove pretty much every model except the 1 series. My favorite drive and sounding car is the Z4 35is. That car was a beast and a blast to drive. Very predictable! Too bad my wife won't go for a 2 seater.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #108
Kenny C
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335 e90 1998 e39 540

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 m50  [0.00]
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
2018 mx3 40  [0.00]
2016 340  [0.00]
2013 BMW ACYIVE HYB ...  [0.00]
2010 BMW X535D  [0.00]
My 2007 335 was totaled in Sandy. I picked up a fairly loaded AH3 in Mineral Grey veneto beige leather 3 days ago
lux line
cold weather
Drivers assistance pkg
prem pkg
tech pkg
hk stereo

Got a better deal than a comparable 335. F10 335 not nearly as fast as the e90
Wanted blue but i lost 2 of 3 cars in the storm and couldn't wait for a month for delivery
F10 is more luxury oriented than the sporty e90. Ill miss the sports seats thought. They were great
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #109
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny C View Post
My 2007 335 was totaled in Sandy. I picked up a fairly loaded AH3 in Mineral Grey veneto beige leather 3 days ago
lux line
cold weather
Drivers assistance pkg
prem pkg
tech pkg
hk stereo

Got a better deal than a comparable 335. F10 335 not nearly as fast as the e90
Wanted blue but i lost 2 of 3 cars in the storm and couldn't wait for a month for delivery
F10 is more luxury oriented than the sporty e90. Ill miss the sports seats thought. They were great
You obviously bad a fairly extreme situation. Enjoy your new car. For sure you'll get better mpg.

I'm from Oceanside, but left for FL as a child.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #110
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl
Judging by the bitching, whining and chest bashing we've had about the tree-hugging and terribly inconvenient start-stop system, I can't see many takers for an active hybrid. At least not your side of the pond

Although, as a fan of ASS, Id still never buy a hybrid because they're a scurge on society with their lithium batteries, high capital cost and poor fuel economy compared to a quality diesel engine. Oh, and they give off a pious odour ...
I agree. Im also a fan of ASS. hehe
Appreciate 0