F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > M Performance Power Kit Details
Extreme Powerhouse

11-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #89
tgF90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 Donington

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
So I talked to my dealer again about ordering the Z3B package and he said that it's not going to be available until 1st quarter. I told him that other's have production numbers but he told me that they may have production numbers but they won't be built until the package becomes available. He didn't think it would be available until 1st Qtr next year. You may want to confirm with your dealer on timelines.
Per BMW website and dealer, with my production number, my car is in production. That could mean a lot of things and it may be delayed until end of January. But, as of now, I was told mid December. Who knows? Port installed package so I expect it on time. I'm in no rush though.
2015 M3/Azurite Black
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #90
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg335 View Post
Per BMW website and dealer, with my production number, my car is in production. That could mean a lot of things and it may be delayed until end of January. But, as of now, I was told mid December. Who knows? Port installed package so I expect it on time. I'm in no rush though.
So did BMW actually give us a delay notice?

I'm torn between waiting for a Dinan Stage 2 tune or PPK'ing it.

MPG are important to me, simply because my 335i is my commuter car, but USUALLY, tunes lean out the AF, so both tunes should realize better MPG when not flooring it.

Gains are obviously different - Dinan usually averages 100lbs tq, while PPK about 40-50 (underrated from BMW, of course). What strikes me as odd is that the PPK for the last gen N55 required a new radiator and other parts, but the Dinan S2 didn't require anything else...is BMW over building and Dinan just skimming?

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #91
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Wow, ok cool. I didnt know they actually had a good pump now. Ill be honest, this really really entices me to search later on for a 09-10 335i m sport. They're so moddable and make tons of power cheap. It would finally make a good daily with 400hp worth of fun.

The e9x is still such a great car. And I hope they come out with some tunes for out f30's soon, I need about another 50-60 hp on tap to be satisfied.
The burger tuning kit gets you that power.
Take a look at the actual dyno and note the power curve difference between stock and with the kit.
http://burgertuning.com/N55_Jb_BMW_P...nce_Tuner.html

The peak numbers don't tell the whole story of the actual power that kit provides, the story is the power curve, which gives some very nice usable power increases.
Some of our members have installed it and have VERY pleasantly surprised and happy with the results, and it doesn't cost that much at all.
It's not as slick as an ECU program, as there are wires and connectors, but it'll give you what you are looking for.
Install seems very easy as well. The only negative is that you have to remove the kit before you take it in for service. But, taking it off is as easy as putting it on, just a few connections.

Power kits from BT have been very reliable too.
I had the modest JB+ in my 135i and the power difference was very noticeable and real. It didn't affect day to day driving in any negative way.
It felt just as smooth as stock, and then when I wanted the power it was just a deeper throttle push away.
Hard launch in 1st, MT, was very strong and fast, but the shift to 2nd was awesome. It would pull hard and then pull even harder. The power was an eye opener, and as I said, that tune was modest.
This N55 stage 1 is even stronger.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #92
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
So did BMW actually give us a delay notice?

I'm torn between waiting for a Dinan Stage 2 tune or PPK'ing it.

MPG are important to me, simply because my 335i is my commuter car, but USUALLY, tunes lean out the AF, so both tunes should realize better MPG when not flooring it.

Gains are obviously different - Dinan usually averages 100lbs tq, while PPK about 40-50 (underrated from BMW, of course). What strikes me as odd is that the PPK for the last gen N55 required a new radiator and other parts, but the Dinan S2 didn't require anything else...is BMW over building and Dinan just skimming?
IIRC, the PPK for prior generation came in 2 variations. 1 was just the software, and the 2nd option included the cooling upgrades for better sustained performance. But overall power increase was the same, as it comes from the software. The added cooling bits help to keep temps down and reduce heatsoak so that the increased power could be held longer, especially for those that may do some track sessions.
But the cooling upgrade was not required to get the full power of the PPK.

Also, that PPK increased HP by 20hp for both MT and AT.
Torque went up 32lb ft for the AT and only 17lb for the MT, not 40-50lb ft.
And, I think that was at the crank rating, not at the wheels.
AT cars got a better torque upgrade, and MT's got less.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #93
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The burger tuning kit gets you that power.
Take a look at the actual dyno and note the power curve difference between stock and with the kit.
http://burgertuning.com/N55_Jb_BMW_P...nce_Tuner.html

The peak numbers don't tell the whole story of the actual power that kit provides, the story is the power curve, which gives some very nice usable power increases.
Some of our members have installed it and have VERY pleasantly surprised and happy with the results, and it doesn't cost that much at all.
It's not as slick as an ECU program, as there are wires and connectors, but it'll give you what you are looking for.
Install seems very easy as well. The only negative is that you have to remove the kit before you take it in for service. But, taking it off is as easy as putting it on, just a few connections.

Power kits from BT have been very reliable too.
I had the modest JB+ in my 135i and the power difference was very noticeable and real. It didn't affect day to day driving in any negative way.
It felt just as smooth as stock, and then when I wanted the power it was just a deeper throttle push away.
Hard launch in 1st, MT, was very strong and fast, but the shift to 2nd was awesome. It would pull hard and then pull even harder. The power was an eye opener, and as I said, that tune was modest.
This N55 stage 1 is even stronger.
Wow those really are very impressive numbers! Dyno graph #2 Runfile 1 shows 411 wheel ft-tq with a down pipe! Thats impressive! I mean with 15% loss youre looking at 472 ft-lb +/-. For the street those are some great numbers and a ton of fun and torqe.

Youre saying its been pretty reliable? Are you running the stage 1?
      11-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #94
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Last I checked, it was already 11/12. Where's the PPK?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #95
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

spoke with dealer this morning, UPDATE: No word from Deutschland yet. Maybe end of year?

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #96
Wajhik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB

Greetings from a BMW dealer...I am in sales and I just ordered my M 335 with PPK and Exhaust...Don't have a production number since we are waiting for a German car (SA cars take an extra 3-4 weeks to hit the shores).

The Power Kit is available, MSRP 1370. I have it ordered, but am tempted to stray away from it. Sounds a little too cosmetic, thats alot of money for something that is being debated weather it will be felt or not. One of the guys here has an E9x 335xi sedan peformance package and says its very noticible, not sure though.

Anyway, I have learned alot from you guys these past 5 pages, if you ever want to real scoop on whats going on the dealer side of things, feel free to ask me....We are a Porsche/BMW/Benz dealer full of car guys working for a long time, not your typical dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #97
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wajhik View Post
Greetings from a BMW dealer...I am in sales and I just ordered my M 335 with PPK and Exhaust...Don't have a production number since we are waiting for a German car (SA cars take an extra 3-4 weeks to hit the shores).

The Power Kit is available, MSRP 1370. I have it ordered, but am tempted to stray away from it. Sounds a little too cosmetic, thats alot of money for something that is being debated weather it will be felt or not. One of the guys here has an E9x 335xi sedan peformance package and says its very noticible, not sure though.

Anyway, I have learned alot from you guys these past 5 pages, if you ever want to real scoop on whats going on the dealer side of things, feel free to ask me....We are a Porsche/BMW/Benz dealer full of car guys working for a long time, not your typical dealer.
whats the part number so i can order it from my parts guy...

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #98
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Quote:
+1
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #99
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

OMG for $1370 they should be ashamed to offer us 20 lousy hp. They could have easily squeezed 50hp/50ft-tq GTFOH

Nice to retain warranty and all but Id rather spend $800 and upgrade to an M sport front bumper and stay at the power level Im at .

Quote:
800-GIVE-BMW. lmao
      11-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #100
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OMG for $1370 they should be ashamed to offer us 20 lousy hp. They could have easily squeezed 50hp/50ft-tq GTFOH

Nice to retain warranty and all but Id rather spend $800 and upgrade to an M sport front bumper and stay at the power level Im at .

800-GIVE-BMW. lmao
lol...
more than likely underestimated though..cant trample on m3 territory, just remember that...

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #101
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
lol...
more than likely underestimated though..cant trample on m3 territory, just remember that...
Yes I understand that. THe precious M3.... But even at 350hp youre still 64 hp away from the current e9x M3, I dont see what the big deal is.
      11-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #102
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I understand that. THe precious M3.... But even at 350hp youre still 64 hp away from the current e9x M3, I dont see what the big deal is.
meant the f30 body m3...which is basically a super cooled, hghly reinforced 335i engine...

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #103
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
meant the f30 body m3...which is basically a super cooled, hghly reinforced 335i engine...
AH yes I see. I do have to admit Im quite excited to see the debut. 1st forced induction m3. I like it. I know a lot of people dont like the road m3 is taking but you cant please everyone.
      11-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #104
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Tempted to get the car dynoed before and after the PPK ... but seriously $1370 for 26hp increase??? Wajhik, I hope you are kidding... What about labor? And yes, part number would really help.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #105
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
spoke with dealer this morning, UPDATE: No word from Deutschland yet. Maybe end of year?
Ok so I just read that "Power Kits should only be installed on 135i and 335i vehicles equipped with option code S840 (increased top speed limiter – which includes an additional oil cooler).

So obviously my car is with the all season tires and it does not have option 840, so whats this mean? If I elected to go to a dealer to install PPK they wont do it?

Whats this extra oil cooler? I thought there was only one on the Passanger side in front of the wheel?
      11-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #106
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:

If $1,370 MSRP is the price for the port installed accessory program, I'd guess that the invoice price is closer to $1000 (maybe less?) -- since most people here are negotiating their orders at invoice + $xxx, the price isn't TOO bad.

Curious what kind of deal can be had for someone adding it after delivery, with labor. Just looking at the cost for the release codes for the software only E90 PPK on Tischer's website, the MSRP is $1195 and they are selling for $695. The F30 kit includes SOME hardware, but nothing significant, so it probably won't be too bad. Can't imagine it would be much more than an hour in labor to install.

Last edited by AWF30MSPORT; 11-05-2012 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #107
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
If $1,370 MSRP is the price for the port installed accessory program, I'd guess that the invoice price is closer to $1000 (maybe less?) -- since most people here are negotiating their orders at invoice + $xxx, the price isn't TOO bad.

Curious what kind of deal can be had for someone adding it after delivery, with labor. Just looking at the cost for the release codes for the software only E90 PPK on Tischer's website, the MSRP is $1195 and they are selling for $695. The F30 kit includes SOME hardware, but nothing significant, so it probably won't be too bad. Can't imagine it would be much more than an hour in labor to install.
Ok so can anyone with any line 335i get PPK? Even if you have all season tires? I was reading online and it stated you cant install PPK if you dont have a 2nd oil cooler? WHere is the 2nd oil cooler located?
      11-06-2012, 12:31 AM   #108
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok so can anyone with any line 335i get PPK? Even if you have all season tires? I was reading online and it stated you cant install PPK if you dont have a 2nd oil cooler? WHere is the 2nd oil cooler located?
Where did you read this requirement?Are you sure you did not read about the PPK for the e90 BMW ? That one had the requirement, but as far as I know there is no such requirement for the F30 PPK.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 02:50 AM   #109
rocko911
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sports line

Spending $1000+ just for a small bump in HP and not making much of a difference in performance wont make sense then. Its better to get feedback and a proper review of the PPK before purchasing it. Any other alternative besides PPK and not voiding warranty?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #110
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
Tempted to get the car dynoed before and after the PPK ... but seriously $1370 for 26hp increase??? Wajhik, I hope you are kidding... What about labor? And yes, part number would really help.
This. I'd toss out around $1k on a new car to keep the warranty, but only if the "gains" were at least as advertised. None of this, we underrated the car to begin with then the actual end result with the ppk was on point. Meaning the car actually gains 10hp or something pitiful.
Appreciate 0