F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Driver Assistance Packages… I don’t get it.
proTUNING Freaks

09-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #67
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I also have ZDA and ZDB. I like all the features, except Lane Departure warning. Speed Limit Info is the feature that is most surprisingly useful.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #68
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Have to agree with the original poster. While I do have the backup camera on my car as it was included with the premium package, I definitely wouldn't spend extra to get it if it was a separate option. I also had absolutely no interest in spending the $1000+ for the driver assistance package as a set of properly adjusted mirrors and paying attention while driving has served me just fine in my 20+ years of driving.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #69
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCCubs View Post
Have to agree with the original poster. While I do have the backup camera on my car as it was included with the premium package, I definitely wouldn't spend extra to get it if it was a separate option. I also had absolutely no interest in spending the $1000+ for the driver assistance package as a set of properly adjusted mirrors and paying attention while driving has served me just fine in my 20+ years of driving.
+1. However Blindspot Warning saved my ass in the dark of night and rain with a raised POS 4x4. That was worth the price of admission.
      09-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #70
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCCubs
Um, I have a '14 335 w/premium and can confirm reverse cam is NOT part of the premium package...

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 01:18 AM   #71
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M-Sport 335i 6MT

HUD, overhead camera, rearview camera. I've driven 20+ years without them with NO problems! I don't need them.

But I bought them anyway. And now I don't want another vehicle without them.

Choice: It's a hell of a thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #72
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSmokeBBQ View Post
Um, I have a '14 335 w/premium and can confirm reverse cam is NOT part of the premium package...
Packages are likely different here in Canada vs. U.S. It was either part of the premium or executive package on my car.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #73
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Hello. A BMW newbie. Just picked up a 2013 328iX with cold, premium, driver assistance. Thought I definitely wanted the parking sensors and the rear camera since used to driving and parking in Asia and chose this particular vehicle from dealer stock instead of the car with the tech package. Now that I've driven it for a few days, I guess I could have gone without it. The lane departure warning is useful, but other than that, just more sensors and gadgets for me. Luckily, I got a great deal and the driver assistance with the front and rear sensors and the parking camera was only a few hundred dollars more than the one with the tech package. Living in the suburbs, I don't parallel park all that often so I agree with some of the posts that driver assistance isn't necessary. I guess in my case HUD from the tech package might be more useful, but then grass is always greener since I don't have the tech package in my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #74
328AL
Lieutenant
Belarus
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsk1610
Hello. A BMW newbie. Just picked up a 2013 328iX with cold, premium, driver assistance. Thought I definitely wanted the parking sensors and the rear camera since used to driving and parking in Asia and chose this particular vehicle from dealer stock instead of the car with the tech package. Now that I've driven it for a few days, I guess I could have gone without it. The lane departure warning is useful, but other than that, just more sensors and gadgets for me. Luckily, I got a great deal and the driver assistance with the front and rear sensors and the parking camera was only a few hundred dollars more than the one with the tech package. Living in the suburbs, I don't parallel park all that often so I agree with some of the posts that driver assistance isn't necessary. I guess in my case HUD from the tech package might be more useful, but then grass is always greener since I don't have the tech package in my car.
You still have old habits of driving, report back to us in six months and see if you want to drive another car without it
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #75
1.fresh.f30.335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xdrive M-Sport

This entire thread has been opinions. The market demands that BMW include these types of innovative and typically useful options to stay competitive, even porsche has had to cope and add the gizmos and gadgets to gain market share. Not too mention, no two people are truly alike and everyone has different priorities; I've seen people pay 5k more for a 3 series to have modern line and only navigation, nothing else, just so the wife could have a light colored steering wheel.

Point being this debate is pointless, the OP is as bad as all the responses if not worse... Maybe the OP is the odd man out for not liking Driver's assistance plus (not actually a popular option, maybe 15% of them have that... I work for BMW), either way this thread has amounted to a waste of time.

'14 535i xdrive M-Sport Carbon Black w/Mocha Nappa
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #76
viper446
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive M-SPORT

The only thing that I might find remotely useful in these packages would be the backup camera. From what I seen it doesn't really alter the look any and I actually find it difficult to see out the back of the car. Though I manage fine without it. These just seem like overpriced packages that aren't really necessary or something that may be rarely used by the lot of the people who actually go with the package(s).
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #77
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M-Sport 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper446 View Post
The only thing that I might find remotely useful in these packages would be the backup camera. From what I seen it doesn't really alter the look any and I actually find it difficult to see out the back of the car. Though I manage fine without it. These just seem like overpriced packages that aren't really necessary or something that may be rarely used by the lot of the people who actually go with the package(s).
They're not *necessary*. They're *assistance packages*. Overpriced? Sure. But you're buying a BMW. You've already passed 'necessity' by.

I use the overhead camera every time I park the car. Literally. My reflex action when pulling in is to hit the little camera button next to the shifter. Same with the HUD. I notice its absence when I hop into my Eclipse and feel a little disconnected with my speed. I don't need them the way I need the steering wheel, but they have made my life easier. Mission accomplished.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 05:16 AM   #78
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.fresh.f30.335
This entire thread has been opinions. The market demands that BMW include these types of innovative and typically useful options to stay competitive, even porsche has had to cope and add the gizmos and gadgets to gain market share. Not too mention, no two people are truly alike and everyone has different priorities; I've seen people pay 5k more for a 3 series to have modern line and only navigation, nothing else, just so the wife could have a light colored steering wheel.

Point being this debate is pointless, the OP is as bad as all the responses if not worse... Maybe the OP is the odd man out for not liking Driver's assistance plus (not actually a popular option, maybe 15% of them have that... I work for BMW), either way this thread has amounted to a waste of time.
Thanks for adding another useless opinion to this "waste of time" thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #79
dave7933
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i w/Prem, MSport, Tech

JDong--lover your post and could not agree more. I have been driving my 335i Coupe for the past 4 years (it's a 2009) and love the car but miss a lot of the features you describe for every day driving. Just ordered a 435i with most the goodies and can't wait for it to arrive. And I must say that my 335i is the first car I have not been in a hurry to trade in. Best car I have ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #80
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

There are no blind spots if your mirrors are adjusted properly.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #81
RjSmithTec
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport Fully Loaded

It's interesting to see all the drivers in here that say the camera is useful for parking in really tight spots. I would never want to leave my car in a tight spot, not because of my driving, but because of the other vehicles that will come and go when I'm not near the car...

No thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #82
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
Yeah but in the dark and a raised vehicle compounded by inclement weather and you might miss it visually. RADAR is your friend.
      10-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #83
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
Agreed.

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #84
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46tiag View Post
BTW, if you order M-Sport package on a 4-series, you won't be getting blind spot detection with any package. It's not compatible.
How true is this? Whats ur source dude?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #85
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

Of course there are bling spots lol. A blind spot is anywhere you are not currently looking. Even with properly adjusted mirrors - which I would say 90% of US drivers do not have as most seem to have 3 rear view mirrors - you still need to move your head and adjust your perspective to get it all in. And even if you scan each mirror every few seconds you can still miss a small child or pet darting out behind you.

HUD, backup cameras, and radar are all tools to assist the driver in driving better and safer. Why (besides the high cost) would you not want that? If anything - as a true driving enthusiast - you should be complaining about the things that distract from the 'pure' driving experience: stereos, iPhones, AC and heat, power steering, automatic transmissions. Hell, get rid of the passengers too. A real car only needs one seat.

The only real option I regret not getting is PDC, and the first time you run your $750 lip spoiler into a curb you will too
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #86
loosenit2
Private
Rep
Drives: 12 328i Luxury

IMHO most BMW buyers (like me) aren't looking for a totally functional sports car (faster cars can be had for much less $), they are looking for a luxury car with a good deal of sportiness, and maybe a little bragging rights. If you look at it that way there is no conflict on the boards or in the purchasing habits.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #87
flyguy27
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328I Sportline

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I love car technology so i get the options I must have and then whatever else i see necessary based on me as an individual. Xenons, rear cam, navigation, bluetooth and streaming and push button start are my must haves in any car I buy these days. I also like to add options to future proof my car if i plan to keep it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #88
bosjt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
On the MY14s, there is a front collision warning system as part of the package that is very handy. It warns you of an impending collision and will pre-pressurize the hydraulic brake system to give you immediate bite and deceleration when you apply the brakes under such a situation.
+1

Also, the F30 LCI announced this past summer says that the Driver Assistance Plus (ZDB) now also automatically applies the brakes if necessary so this is a very important option that I don't think BMW promotes very clearly on their website. This is the first system to support collision mitigation by automatic brake for both pedestrians and vehicles where the camera is the sole sensor (meaning you don't have to order the Adaptive Cruise Control option which gets you the Radar sensor in your front grill). You can read about this over here http://www.mobileye.com/markets/oem/...w-launch-2013/
Appreciate 0